Why did the writers end the original series with a terrible filler episode? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why did the writers end the original series with a terrible filler episode?

Default Re: Why did the writers end the original series with a terrible filler episode?

Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    I know that there was a reason for it. The fact remains that the TV Tokyo's priorities made the writers' jobs easier. To think that they also had the Hoso episodes on their plates back in early AG...
    That's probably the reason they stopped making the special episodes, with the exception of Mystery Dungeon shorts or one-off things like the Dawn/Brock special in early BW.

I remember being really confused as to why there wasn't a new set of specials started back when DP had begun, but looking back now I can see why they didn't bother.

Default Re: Why did the writers end the original series with a terrible filler episode?

Copying what I said in the unpopular opinions thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Kamex View Post
    - I haven't confirmed this is an unpopular opinion, but I have the feeling it would be. I'm not a fan of the last Johto episode, "Hoenn Alone", ending with a cliffhanger. In general I wish that, if they're gonna keep on keeping Ash, that they give each series a better closure. Not one that goes as far as to give a "don't watch anything afterwards" kind of feel, but one where one could quit watching after the end of the series (the original, AG, etc.) and feel... pretty satisfied, but if they kept watching it wouldn't feel awkward either.
    I'm guessing this is an unpopular opinion, after all? It really isn't a Johto episode, though, like my quote says. But yeah, that's my thing with this last episode, "Hoenn Alone." It wasn't like the nearly 300 episodes of the original series made up a story so continuous where you had to watch each every episode and if you missed one or two, you'd be so lost due to how close the episodes were tied together. But...

... there was still continuity, and the original series was still ending. They did have things like Ash ceasing to wear the clothes he's worn nearly the entire original series. The trio of Ash, Misty, and Brock, the group around for 200+ episodes (not consecutively though) was going to stop traveling together. Ash beat Gary, his rival from the first episode of the original series, in a Pokemon Battle. Those iconic things (Ash's travel group, his clothes, and his rival) were around for several years, our time, and were ending. And... well, the series name was being replaced by one that said "Advanced Generation" now.

As an example of how to have changed things, I would've rather had "Gotta Catch You Later" be the last story before the first AG episode. It could've been one episode, or extended to two episodes (the second one airing when "Hoenn Alone" actually did. The two halves of the real "Gotta Catch Ya' Later" could've been split into two episodes. Then Ash would've still been on his own in the second "GCYL" episode, the last OS episode in this scenario) and have there be some kind of closure line (from the narrator or someone) in the last scene saying all the great times Ash and Pikachu have had, and that they'll continue to make more in their quest of Ash being a Pokemon Master.

Then AG could've started, in my opinion, with "Hoenn Alone." I'm not sure if May would make an appearance in the episode after all, or not, but that episode could still have the cliffhanger, the second episode would be "Get the Show on the Road" (or whatever the episode is called) with Ash still meeting May and getting Pikachu cured, and so on. I know the cliffhanger would lose some of its specialness by taking place at the end of a first episode instead of a last episode, but I'd rather some specialness be gone rather than end a series with a cliffhanger.

Another option would be to have "Hoenn Alone" be the last episode still and be pretty much the way it is now, except move the scene with Ash seeing the sick Pikachu to the beginning of first episode of AG. I don't know how May's introduction would be handled in the first AG episode- some of the material would have to be moved around/cut out. But in any case, "Hoenn Alone" would have some kind of line from the narrator and/or Ash suggesting some sense of closure, by the end.

Both cases, despite me saying "closure", I would've wanted to have them be open ended, like my quote mentions.

Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    I find this thread quite petty. Instead of complaining that ""Gotta Catch Ya Later" was followed by a less important episode, why not complain that the AG and DP finales were each followed by a one-week break? Any episode is better than nothing.
    I can't say I agree with that last sentence. When it comes to the last episode of a Pokemon series... between the choice of there being either an open-ended finale along with a one-week break afterwards or there being a transition episode without a break, I'd rather have the first choice (although having an open-ended finale without a break is better, imo, too, although I don't really care that much about there being a break).
    Seasons =/= Regions

You do realize the title, "Hoenn alone" is just a dub title, right?

This was NOT an AG episode. It was the last episode of the Johto arc and the original series. The Japanese title doesn't have Hoenn in it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    You do realize the title, "Hoenn alone" is just a dub title, right?

This was NOT an AG episode. It was the last episode of the Johto arc and the original series. The Japanese title doesn't have Hoenn in it at all.
    I know the episode ended the original series and that the Japanese title was something different. I used "Hoenn Alone" since by default I use dub titles. Me talking about "Hoenn Alone" as the first episode of AG was just referring to one possible thing I wish they did.
    Seasons =/= Regions

I don't get it either. It was an okay episode on its own, but it should not have been the last OS episode.

Quote Originally Posted by stickerstaryoshi View Post
    I don't get it either. It was an okay episode on its own, but it should not have been the last OS episode.
    I think "Gotta Catch Ya' Later!" should've been the last OS episode, while "Hoenn Alone" should've been made longer and better as a TV movie kinda thing to transition between Johto and Hoenn. :)

They probably just wanted to do an episode with Ash traveling by himself for a bit. That sounds good in theory, but then the episode itself felt so repetitive and boring that it was a chore to sit through.

This also means Misty is the only female lead not to be in the final episode of her series, although we don't know if Iris will make it to the very last BW episode yet either.

Mutha'uckas CrackFox's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I think it was mainly about showing Ash traveling alone to Hoenn. How he can still handle himself, still fighting off TR. It's like a realisation that as long as he has Pikachu, he's ok on his own. He doesn't need Misty and Brock to hold his hand anymore. That episode was the beginning of a more confident, independent Ash. When he arrived in Hoenn he began to play the adult, mentoring May. I think this episode was to shake off all the qualms he had with saying goodbye to his friends, make him realise he can manage alone and depict him as excited for his future now that he's accepted the loss of his friends.

Johto as a saga was pretty bad apart from the Pokémon League and certain fillers. The original trio's goodbye episode was pretty lame too. So it's not really surprising that the final episode was also lame. AG and DP fixed this kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    Perhaps it would have been better if we had more episodes with Ash by himself at the end of Johto. If they cut out some of the filler from the middle of Johto, they would have had extra time for the end.
    No! I rather Ash be in Hoenn alone rather than being in Johto by himself. Remember, the writers were trying to get Ash the hell out of Johto as quickly as possible since it was getting boring. So why have him stay?

Quote Originally Posted by SlimeStack View Post
    Johto as a saga was pretty bad apart from the Pokémon League and certain fillers. The original trio's goodbye episode was pretty lame too. So it's not really surprising that the final episode was also lame. AG and DP fixed this kind of thing.
    You're the only one that I read that said the trio's goodbye was lame. I agree. It was too mushy Especially since Brock left before and didn't really need to come back and do nothing.
    Last edited by Caseydia; 29th April 2013 at 12:37 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234