Why did the writers end the original series with a terrible filler episode?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did the writers end the original series with a terrible filler episode?

Default Why did the writers end the original series with a terrible filler episode?

The last episode of the original series was, "Hoenn Alone" which was the episode where Ash goes on a boat from Pallet Town to Hoenn. In this episode Ash is by himself, since Misty and Brock left in the previous episode.

This episode really consists of nothing more than Ash running around the port of the town as Pikachu gets separated from the group. The filler plot of this episode is a bunch of wild Haunter are harassing some random Rattata, Pidgey and Oddish in an alley. The rest of the episode follows standard filler plot fair with Ash battling TR and then going back to the boat to Hoenn.

My question is, why did the writers end the first series of Pokemon with such a terrible filler episode? They could have spent either an extra episode at Pallet or used the previous episode where Misty/Brock depart to be the "finale" of the original series. It was honestly as bad as most Johto fillers were, which isn't surprising since it was technically the last ep of the Johto arc too. Even when I was a kid I was wondering why they made such a lackluster transition episode from Johto to Hoenn.

The Stray Veteran Pokemon Blazing Charmander's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Why did the writers end the original series with a terrible filler episode?

I think you've more or less said it all in your own post; it was a transition episode that served as a bridge between the Johto and Hoenn arcs. After all the excitement of the Johto League and Misty and Brock departing, the writers probably figured that an episode with little incident would calm things down before AG began. Besides, this episode did set up the sub-plot of Pikachu becoming ill, which essentially led to Ash meeting up with May in Hoenn.

I found the episode to be a nice change of pace at the time, personally.
    "My Dream..."

Default Re: Why did the writers end the original series with a terrible filler episode?

Quote Originally Posted by Blazing Charmander View Post
    I think you've more or less said it all in your own post; it was a transition episode that served as a bridge between the Johto and Hoenn arcs. After all the excitement of the Johto League and Misty and Brock departing, the writers probably figured that an episode with little incident would calm things down before AG began. Besides, this episode did set up the sub-plot of Pikachu becoming ill, which essentially led to Ash meeting up with May in Hoenn.

I found the episode to be a nice change of pace at the time, personally.
    They didn't seem to think we need an ep like that at the end of any other series. For example when AG ended the last episode was based on May/Max leaving, Ash battling Gary, leaving behind his older pokemon, and Ash making a stop at Pallet. They didn't make another ep after that showing a useless filler of Ash on a boat from Kanto to Sinnoh.

And secondly, why couldn't they make a GOOD episode to end the original series with? Something like a "last hurrah" for all of Ash's older Pokemon at the time would have been better, especially since we now know Ash's Johto starters virtually never got to do anything for the rest of the series.

The Stray Veteran Pokemon Blazing Charmander's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    They didn't seem to think we need an ep like that at the end of any other series. For example when AG ended the last episode was based on May/Max leaving, Ash battling Gary, leaving behind his older pokemon, and Ash making a stop at Pallet. They didn't make another ep after that showing a useless filler of Ash on a boat from Kanto to Sinnoh.

And secondly, why couldn't they make a GOOD episode to end the original series with? Something like a "last hurrah" for all of Ash's older Pokemon at the time would have been better, especially since we now know Ash's Johto starters virtually never got to do anything for the rest of the series.
    Remember that AG's finale episode came some four years after that for the Johto saga. The writers had probably learned from past mistakes which led to such a good final bow for the AG series (equally so for DP in my opinion). Pallet Town and Gary were wrapped up in Gotta Catch Ya Later, with a brief mention that Ash intended to leave behind his Johto party apart from Pikachu. I admit that I didn't like this approach too much, but only the writers themselves can explain any sinister motives they may have had. The anime has never had flawless plot or character development, after all.

Hoenn Alone certainly wasn't a classic, but if nothing else I have to say I enjoyed the novelty of an episode focusing on Ash travelling to a distant region on his own with Pikachu.
    "My Dream..."

Who knows why the writers do a lot of things. They probably thought it would be good to have a breather episode.

It was caught in an uncomfortable gray area of being in the middle of two series. Not exactly an OS episode, but not quite an AG one either...
    Shantae and the Pirate's Curse Wii U: Available Christmas!

Super Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Since this was the first time they had to end a series, I don't think that they knew how to handle it that well. Like others have mentioned, it was a transition episode into the new series and pretty necessary given that it did cause Pikachu to get sick and was the focus of the first AG episode, as well as how Ash met May, so I wouldn't consider it filler. It isn't like people could jump from the episode where Misty and Brock left to the first AG episode and not be confused as to why Pikachu was suddenly sick. The conflict with the Haunter bothering all of the other Pokemon was pretty weak, but I did like how it was Ash being on his own for the first time since he left on his journey in the first episode and it was an interesting approach to handle the last episode of the series.

I don't think it was spectacular by any means, but I don't think that it was that bad. It was generally okay for me. I think that they did learn from this experiment if the finales for AG and DP are any indication since they did have the groups' farewells as the primary focus of those finales and they didn't think it was necessary to have a whole episode to showcase the transition to a new region. They could have done that with the original series too, but since this was the first time Ash was going to a new region by himself, they might have thought that there should be a transition, instead of just jumping right into it.

My main problem with the ep is why spent it on such boring pokemon like Pidgey, Rattata and Oddish in an alleyway?

Of all the things they could do with Ash traveling by himself, they choose to make a filler about extremely boring Kanto Pokemon that we had seen tons of times by that point? Ugh.

Super Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

My main problem with the ep is why spent it on such boring pokemon like Pidgey, Rattata and Oddish in an alleyway?

Of all the things they could do with Ash traveling by himself, they choose to make a filler about extremely boring Kanto Pokemon that we had seen tons of times by that point? Ugh.
    I still don't really consider this episode filler because of how Pikachu gets sick. I didn't really mind the focus on the Pidgey, Rattata and Oddish. It was boring, but it was a boring B-plot, rather than the main focus of the episode, which I thought was Ash getting Pikachu back.

I just watched the episode, and to be honest, I can't understand why you think it's so bad. It's not the greatest episode, but it was pretty decent. We got to see a few minutes of Satoshi alone with Pikachu, which doesn't happen often, and a couple of decent attempts at comic relief. Sure, the stupid normal-types were annoying, but I didn't feel as though it was the main focus of the episode. But yes, it could've been infinitely better. Still, I wouldn't rank this episode as one of the worst ones. In fact, I was more annoyed by that Hoenn episode in which Satoshi and Haruka just happened to tie in that last contest.

By the way, in this episode the whole Pikachu getting sick isn't shown until after the credits, which makes me wonder how many Japanese kids turned the TV off when the ending started and were confused later when Pikachu was suddenly sick? XD
    Last edited by Satoshi_Pikachu; 14th January 2013 at 11:57 PM.

Personally I like episodes that give some attention to the common and 'extremely boring' pokemon. I like to think that some pokemon aren't all delegated to be background props.

I haven't seen much of the anime since the first season, only catching bits and pieces after that and getting into Black and White now, but to be honest this doesn't seem like an episode too out of place of any anime. It's a calming decent shift from one major point in the series to the other. The show just put two of its main characters away (seemingly) never to be seen again. Though, as was said earlier, the writers developed more to write better stories for end of series plots I think this sounds like a decent episode for being still earlier in Pokemon's run.
    An IceFox who prefers fire types? That's... interesting.
    I'm more partial to blues and greens as well~

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Pikachu View Post
    I just watched the episode, and to be honest, I can't understand why you think it's so bad. It's not the greatest episode, but it was pretty decent. We got to see a few minutes of Satoshi alone with Pikachu, which doesn't happen often, and a couple of decent attempts at comic relief. Sure, the stupid normal-types were annoying, but I didn't feel as though it was the main focus of the episode. But yes, it could've been infinitely better.
    I guess my main problem would be that it wasn't just an, "end of a region" type episode, it was the end of the entire original series, what the show started with. They should have instead done something with all of Ash's original Pokemon after the league ended, as a sort of, "Farewell, we're moving on" type of thing.

And honestly, that whole lame filler plot with the wild pokemon just reeked of stuff from the worst fillers of any saga really.

Still, I wouldn't rank this episode as one of the worst ones. In fact, I was more annoyed by that Hoenn episode in which Satoshi and Haruka just happened to tie in that last contest.
    Is it because you don't like the idea of Sceptile tying with Blaziken? It was Ash's very first Contest episode, so him not doing as well as he did in the DP Contests made a lot of sense. My main problem with that ep is May doesn't command Blaziken to use any attacks for like the first half of that battle. It was like she was silent just watching what Ash was doing. But in general that entire battle should have been written much better, shame it wasn't.

By the way, in this episode the whole Pikachu getting sick isn't shown until after the credits, which makes me wonder how many Japanese kids turned the TV off when the ending started and where confused later when Pikachu was suddenly sick? XD
    Yeah.

Blog Entries

Well the bottom percentage Rattata have to be somewhere.

Sure Gotta Catch Ya Later is a better episode, and they probably could have ended there, but I certainly much prefer a transition episode like this one than the hard stop between DP and BW. Plus, this is about the only chance there is for an Ash and Pikachu alone episode, which there certainly need to be more of.

I just hope the last episode of BW doesn't have Team Rocket in it.

I guess my main problem would be that it wasn't just an, "end of a region" type episode, it was the end of the entire original series, what the show started with. They should have instead done something with all of Ash's original Pokemon after the league ended, as a sort of, "Farewell, we're moving on" type of thing.

And honestly, that whole lame filler plot with the wild pokemon just reeked of stuff from the worst fillers of any saga really.
    Yeah, that would've been a lot better, especially considering it was the first time Satoshi was going to leave all of his Pokémon except for Pikachu behind.

But I still think it could've been worse. At least we didn't get the Satoshi-helps-a-beginning-or-just-plain-stupid-trainer plot.

Is it because you don't like the idea of Sceptile tying with Blaziken? It was Ash's very first Contest episode, so him not doing as well as he did in the DP Contests made a lot of sense. My main problem with that ep is May doesn't command Blaziken to use any attacks for like the first half of that battle. It was like she was silent just watching what Ash was doing. But in general that entire battle should have been written much better, shame it wasn't.
    No, because I think Satoshi shouldn't have made it to the final. Was the contest filled with Coordinators so bad that they couldn't beat a kid who knows close to nothing about contests?

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Pikachu View Post
    No, because I think Satoshi shouldn't have made it to the final. Was the contest filled with Coordinators so bad that they couldn't beat a kid who knows close to nothing about contests?
    Didn't they actually show all those other coordinators feel like beginning trainers with crappy appeals? I haven't watched it in a long time, but I remember things like Magikarp flopping around on a table or some stuff like that.

That episode had some bad animation too, a Sceptile Vs. Blaziken battle should have been much more epic.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast