Why is Ash an inexperienced trainer? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Why is Ash an inexperienced trainer?

i kil u

Default Re: Why is Ash an inexperienced trainer?

Quote Originally Posted by Acceleration View Post
    Because he's stupid.
    I never knew that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Acceleration View Post
    Threads like these are what happens when Mark Chang from Fairly OddParents has unprotected sex with bad comedians

Blog Entries

I've give up worrying about the continuity because there simply never is any. Sometimes he's knowledgable and his Pokemon are super powerful, other times he's completely amateurish and his Pokemon lose to far less experienced trainers. Ash is only as dumb or as experienced as the writers want him to be in that given moment.

Uh, because then he wouldn't have any real challenges, and that'd be boring.

And yes, it might be boring to see Satoshi make such little progress over the course of 15 years, but the writers don't intend to keep the same audience for 15 years. Sure, they must know there are crazy teenage and adult fans like us watching the show (yay!), but the target audience of the anime is undeniably children, so they get to sacrifice continuity without many fans getting angry.
    つまらないものはさっさと消去。

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I just don't understand why he actually got good and then went backwards again. There was a logical progression from Johto to AG to DP of Ash's strength and growth of a trainer. Now with BW it feels like Ash went down to Johto levels again.

Hell, even when Dawn showed up in BW it felt like she regressed too. lol.

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

The thread's not to discuss Ash being said. We have a thread for that herp da derp.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Srebak View Post
    What was stopping him from learning everything he needed to know about Pokemon before starting his journey?
    Probably because of his personality. He's determined, but he's irresponsible too. We've seen him fall asleep when trying to think of a strategy.

And it makes for a better show. It's not fun watching someone curbstomp everybody. The emphasis of the anime always seemed to be on the journey, and there's not much of a journey left for someone who's seen it all.

Also, maybe because it makes promoting/advertising stuff easier? Having Ash as an inexperienced boonie trainer is a ready excuse for them to show us stuff; this new pokémon and that one, this new location and that. It wouldn't make much sense for an expert of sorts to keep scanning things with a PokéDex (multiple times, in some cases).
    YamiiDenryuu likes this.

[sources: sig gif|avatar]

Follow Dragonite Postal Service on Tumblr Follow Dragonite Postal Service on Flickr

Ash only really does well when he is pushed to be creative with his battle style! He seems to always try to powerhouse his way through battle and it's only when he is up against a tough opponent, such as the Frontier Brains, that he actually uses some creativity and strategy. I think he also likes to battle at a disadvantage at times, instead of going for the easy type-advantage win he chooses to test his Pokemons potential and go for someone who is on more equal to lesser ground.

His age, immaturity and stubbornness tend to take over and control him which is why he doesn't always apply his battle knowledge! I also think Brock was Ash's common sense in a way, he always had his long time friend there to receive advice from but in Unova he just seems to do his own thing and ignore what Iris and Cilan have to say.

I always assumed that his knowledge "resets". Now, what I mean is that it seems like he's starting his journey, without any knowledge of pokémon.

ricochet, take your aim Titanium's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Titanium On Twitter Add Titanium on Facebook

Because they have to make every season fresh and new.. which somehow means the characters have to forget every single thing they've done and everyone they met.

Aww. ):

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

The thread is about Ash's inexperience at the start of his journey, and why everyone else seemed to have more experience than him. If you want to talk about him resetting, you can do so here.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

The writers must have wanted to show Ash gaining knowledge about Pokemon and making smarter decisions along his journey in Kanto. He started out as a determined but clueless newbie. By the time he reached the Indigo League, Ash began to show that he could improvise, be intuitive and make quick decisions. IMO, he was better in Kanto than people make him out to be. Knowledge was never his strong point anyway.
    I believe Charmeleon became disobedient because he felt that Ash wasn't a good enough trainer. As a Charmander, he had felt insecure because he had been abandoned before, he felt weak and was eager to please Ash. The sudden gain in power through evolution changed his outlook.
    Charmander's storyline was good but it is a pity that it was recycled for Chimchar and Tepig (at least they stayed obedient). Ash's tagline should be "All abandoned fire type starters welcome".

Blog Entries

Looking back, i just feel so sorry for Ash:

He was constantly shown up and put down by Misty and Brock (Misty most of all, if she had kept the attitude she had in earlier episodes, i highly doubt Delia would have been so eager to let her into the Ketchum home)

Trainers who really shouldn't have been more experienced than him somehow managed to show him up.

His own pokemon started to disobey him for reasons that made no sense (Charizard went back to obeying Ash because he nursed him back to health? He saved his life as a Charmander, that wasn't enough of a message?)

And they even made him say things that made him sound stupid:

"I barely know anything"

"I have a lot to learn"

These days, those are phrases that i wish i never heard.

Blog Entries

Because if he wasn't this new and exciting Pokemon game wouldn't exist

pokemon-drinking-game.jpg

In terms of Charmander stop listening to Ash after it evolved, the most popular theory it seems is that episode "The March of the Exeggutor Squad" when that punk Melvin the Magician hypnotized Ash with his Exeggute and had Ash uses his Pokemon to capture a herd of wild Exeggutor for his magic act to hypnotize people to make them go to his magic show (because he was fired from the circus he worked act because he almost caused the circus tent to catch fire).

Well, literally Ash worked his Pokemon (Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Charmander) way past exhaustion (not his fault he was hypnotized) and then at the end of the episode Ash (now not hypnotized) used Charmander to help stop the herd from trampling the town by using Flamethrower (again Charmander becomes exhausted) but with help from Melvin they stop the herd.

It evolves and the disobedience begins there. It is assumed that Charmander may have felt that Ash didn't care about it since it pushed it way past the limit twice in one episode and then decides to not listen anymore.

Another theory that may not be the case (in terms of relating to the games) is the number of badges Ash had at the time he had 6 so I doubt it.

Either way, I think that the writers probably did that in order to have Ash deal with a problem that a number of trainers that he met throughout the series had to deal with (disobedient Pokemon).
    Last edited by Paulisthebest; 27th December 2012 at 09:00 AM.
    Gengarzilla likes this.

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

I personally think the writers want to keep the show fresh for newer viewers, so they essentially erase all of Ash's memories and reset Pikachu to level 1 at the beginning of each generation. Why they don't just have a new main character each generation and have Ash pass the torch to the next protagonist, I have no idea why they don't do that and keep Ash as the main character, I mean, the games and manga don't always focus on the same characters all the time, why must the anime have the same protagonist all the time.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12