When will you accept TPCi as the main dubber? - Page 6

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: When will you accept TPCi as the main dubber?

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Default Re: When will you accept TPCi as the main dubber?

Quote Originally Posted by voicerocker View Post
    Tatum was Damon in the Victini movies, so he had a major role. And according to a tweet Vic sent out just a few hours ago, he's playing a lead role in "an upcoming Pokemon movie" which I assume is the Keldeo/Kyurem movie. If TPCi is getting VAs like these guys, I support them!
    I did like Tatum's role in the Victini movie and that is just awesome about Vic Mignogna being an upcoming movie. While they obviously can't play more than characters of the day or movie roles due to where they live, it does allow for more variety than just using the New York pool of voice actors, so that is pretty nice.

Anyway, I accepted that TPCI was going to be the main dubbers of the series pretty much right away. I didn't have a lot of issues with the 4Kids seasons, but I also wasn't fond of them to the point where I didn't want any other company dubbing Pokemon. So, I was fine with TPCI taking the license and considering how the last few years have been for 4Kids, it was probably for the best that the anime isn't with that company or with another third-party company anymore. My problem was just replacing the cast, which I don't think is the same issue of accepting that TPCI was in charge of dubbing the series. After being used to the voices for the characters for so many years, hearing them all with new ones was rather jarring and it made watching some episodes pretty uncomfortable. To be fair, I thought that most of them started to get better around DP when they stopped trying to imitate the original voices and developed their own voices for the characters. I still prefer the original cast, but the current cast has improved and is much more tolerable. If TPCI had been able to keep the original cast, then I wouldn't have had any problems with the licensing change back when it happened.
    PokéVision likes this.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SonGoku View Post
    Too bad they only play COTDs, which hardly matters. XD.
    I think people have a hard time accepting the changes after they were the same voices for so long and no one expected them to ALL be replaced. In my opinion, the actors themselves seem very good from both 4kids and TPCi. I grew up with the 4kids voices and still feel like they fit the characters better, which doesn't set well with some because most of the characters got sound-alike voices. But I'm willing to give the new voices a chance by not comparing them to the 4kids voices and judging them solely on the current voice and the emotion from the actors. (Though, with Best Wishes, only Ash and Team Rocket are pretty much left from the old cast).
    Exactly: TPCi never had bad voices for people who weren't in the main cast. It's the main cast voices (i.e. Ash, Brock, Misty, May, Max, Oak, Delia, Joy, Drew, Harley, etc.) that are consistently BAD in TPCi's dub PRIOR to BW (the only bad voices remaining IMO in the current main cast are TRio, because Sarah's Ash has significantly improved in BW compared to DP-- though obviously it's not as good as Taylor), and that's why many people did not/still do not like their dub. I myself find BW their best dub but it's very average/decent and it would personally be better if the 4Kids VAs Veronica Taylor, Eric Stuart, Nathan Price, and Rachael Lillis were back as Ash and TRio, respectively. Nonetheless, I'm willing to give the new VAs a chance and judge them on their own merits like you said already, and while I feel the 4Kids voices were significantly better, TPCi's voice cast is finally decent in BW and I actually enjoy their dub now (obviously not as much as Seasons 1-8 but you get what I mean).

[QUOTE=Hidden Mew;4274575]
    If TPCI had been able to keep the original cast, then I wouldn't have had any problems with the licensing change back when it happened.
    Exactly: what were they thinking? They could've just given TAJ the money to keep them. Now, it's led to a lot of conflict and depression among the fanbase. I myself couldn't stand BF or DP (especially DP) dubs, but BW's enjoyable (though not as much as OS or AG with 4Kids VAs IMO).

4Kids IMO was a lot better than TPCi's ever been when you look at the sum of their dubs (or even in general, BW's dub still isn't on par with the Seasons 1-8 dub IMO).
    Last edited by Pokémon Master Ash; 15th August 2012 at 06:18 AM.
    PokéVision likes this.

Blog Entries

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f505/do-you-feel-voices-have-improved-since-cast-change-took-place-109381/

Please use this thread if you wish to further debate voices. One or two posts are fine but we don't need a VA debate here.
    PockyAddict likes this.

Stars, Rainbows and Stars Chronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I pretty much accepted it when they first started doing the voices. I knew there was likely no chance of 4Kids ever taking the show back, so why waste my energy?
    Gengarzilla likes this.

Registered User Oddium Wanderus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WatcherMark View Post
    Seriously, if you ever miss 4Kids, go back and watch Chronicles.
    Didn't a different company dub Chronicles? At least that's what I heard.

smile Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Enzap on Tumblr

I don't really consider the new Pokemon so much as a new era as practically a new series. Sure, the main character is the same and the goal is the same, but the entire feel of the show is just different. 4Kids kept the show so upbeat and light and I looked forward to watching it every Saturday, and I still enjoy going back and watching it. Now the cast and the plot just feels dead to me. It doesn't seem like nearly as much effort and enthusiasm is put into it.

So to answer the original question, I've accepted that TPCi is the official dubbing company now, but I don't think they'll ever replace 4Kids in my mind.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Quote Originally Posted by Nyula View Post
    Didn't a different company dub Chronicles? At least that's what I heard.
    No, 4Kids dubbed the Chronicles specials too. I have heard that it wasn't the same people who handled the scripts and edits for the show since they were busy with handling the series' dub and it went to the staff that handled their One Piece dub. I'm not sure if that's exactly true, although that would explain a lot about the dubs for Chronicles, but 4Kids did dub Pokemon, including the specials, up until the Mastermind special.

~Love Is Hard To Define~ Midnight Blue's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have accepted it from the get go. I didn't have a problem with the voices. I look at the TCPi dub as a good thing. I'm afraid if 4kids still had the anime it would still be far behind the Japanese. When TCPi had received the dub it was still almost a year behind. But slowly the time between the versions had gotten smaller and smaller. I think right now the average time between episodes is like 130 days. I know that 4Kids did get the show very late but if they did not have those summer gaps it would not have gotten so far behind. But I'm wondering if the summer gaps were 4Kids doing or KidsWB.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Having gone through the VA change with other shows in the past, I knew from day one the 4kids voices would never return so I accepted it. I continued to watch the dub throughout about halfway into DP before I started going Japanese only. And that was mainly because of the music changes, not the voices.

Overall I really don't care in the slightest now, its been 6 years since the change and most older main characters are gone now anyway. Misty got a new voice only for the Mastermind special and it was pointless since she never actually appears in any episodes again afterward, which makes you realize complaining about new voices for characters who will not even appear anymore makes little to no difference.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Truthfully, I accepted the change in BW. Seeing how 4Kids has declined in recent years has been pretty sad to watch on my part, considering I thought their dub was of far higher quality than the current dub when they had it...even with the stupid edits and countless, countless errors. They never upset me, and I grew up with that show, even with the sandwiches rolling down hills. I just shrugged and laughed off the edits they did. They never bothered me one bit.

In hindsight, I really think the dub was in better hands with 4Kids, than it has been with TPCi. BW116 confirmed my worst suspicions about the current dub, and it's led me to believe the dub is not in the best hands it could be. A big part of why I could stand the repetitive nature of the series stemmed from the excellent work the dubbers did in maintaining my interest.

I really don't care what the purely anti-4Kids part of the fandom has to say anymore. To me, there's absolutely no emotion and enthusiasm in the show anymore. I feel like there's little to no effort put into the dub anymore. The quality has sunk to a much lower level for me over the last few years. The intros are very sloppy and focus too much of friendship, the dialogue is very different, and the chemistry between the voice actors is not natural at all. It's been a very jarring change to say the least for me.

I don't even think I can call the TPCi dub a continuation of the 4Kids dub. If you ask me, it's like watching two completely different shows. I think it marks a new era of the series entirely in my book.

I suppose it's a good show for the newer fans and those that desire a more faithful adaptation, but for me, it's just not the same anymore. I really didn't think the company change would bother me that much, and truthfully at first it didn't, but as time has passed, I've noticed the show has become less and less what it used to be in the dub. Does it depress me? Yeah, you bet I'm sad.

Do I think my era of the series has ended? Yeah, it ended a long time ago. I don't know why I kept pushing myself so hard, but I know it has ended, so I'd merely like to finish what I started and then end my tenure with the series.

I tried the original JPN version too, but even then, it's just not the same. Can't explain why, but even the original kind of disappoints me these days...well, due to the handling of Ash and Team Rocket in most of BW.

Even though I've accepted 4Kids is never coming back, and the original English voice cast is never coming back, TPCi will never really replace them as the dubbers of the show. I don't care how many episodes they dub: 4Kids is the dub I really loved, so naturally I'm going to think of them and their nonsensical, yet strangely enough good, nature whenever I think of the dub. I guess what I'm saying is TPCi will never replace 4Kids in my heart. What I mean is I'll always remember them fondly for Pokémon: they made me fall in love with the series, they made me the Pokémon fan I am today, and I had so much fun when they dubbed the show. I wouldn't trade the joy and happiness I got from watching the show on Kids WB! every Saturday morning for anything.

My only real regret is that I never got to meet Veronica or the others (except Eric Stuart- I met him), to thank them for their hard work on the dub in its first 8 years. I wish I could've done so one day. They were a huge part of my childhood. All I can say, it's a shame my childhood idols didn't get the chance to continue what they loved doing. :)

This is just my honest, heartfelt opinion. Feel free to disagree, though.
    Last edited by Pokémon Master Ash; 23rd June 2013 at 07:13 PM.

Blog Entries

I've definitely accepted TPCi as the main dubber. I watched the 4Kids dub when I was younger, but I'm not nostalgic for it one bit. (Now that I think about it, I very rarely watch the first two series anyway, which is a combination of me not being very fond of the original series, being turned off from AG because of all the dub music, and because of how shaky the TPCi cast was at first, and because DP and BW are in general much more easily available because of how recent these are.) As far as I'm concerned, Natochenny's Ash is just as good as Taylor's. Some voices I'm not very fond of, for sure, but it was just the same with 4Kids.

I care much more about how TPCi replaces a good portion of the Japanese music with their own. I don't know if the fact that the occasional TPCi dubbed episode keeps all the original music intact makes it better or worse. I wonder what's worse: TPCi replacing a lot of music from the beginning or 4Kids using less and less Japanese music as time went on? There was a thread on here detailing the Japanese music kept in each episode from the beginning until early Best Wishes. As you can see, the average percent of music kept in Season 1 was 72%, and in 4Kids' final season it was much lower, 19%. The lack of dub music . It seems like TPCi is just following 4Kids' lead (replacing music in episodes but leaving music in the movies untouched, which 4Kids did from movie 4 onwards) but that's not any better.

It's also annoying to hear all the rad-isms TPCi's writers add to the script but I'd much rather take that than all the 'WTF' script changes, paint edits, video cuts, and censorship during 4Kids' run that the current dub is generally devoid of. In regards to censorship, I'd say it was somebody on this forums (Dogasu maybe?) who summed it up best: There's absolutely nothing in this show nowadays, nothing whatsoever, that warrants censoring. (I'll concede Kanto in that regard)

TPCi's dub wins out for me, but I prefer the Japanese version to both dubs; I watch the dub mainly because that's what's (legally) available, and because I like English dubs but I'd be much more fond of both dubs if only the Japanese music was left intact.
    Last edited by Ambipom666; 24th June 2013 at 09:03 AM.
    Kanto's Route 23 doesn't exist in the Johto games!

My ideas for a more game-faithful Best Wishes! series.

The Jewel Party

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ambipom666 View Post
    I've definitely accepted TPCi as the main dubber. As far as I'm concerned, Natochenny's Ash is just as good as Taylor's. Some voices I'm not very fond of, for sure, but it was just the same with 4Kids. I care much more about how TPCi replaces a good portion of the Japanese music with their own. I don't know if the fact that the occasional TPCi dubbed episode keeps all the original music intact makes it better or worse. I wonder what's worse: TPCi replacing a lot of music from the beginning or 4Kids using less and less Japanese music as time went on? There was a thread on here detailing the Japanese music kept in each episode from the beginning until early Best Wishes, I believe the average in Season 1 was 72%, and in 4Kids' final season it was much lower, 19%. That's very annoying. Granted it seems like TPCi is just following 4Kids' lead (replacing music in episodes but leaving music in the movies untouched, which 4Kids did from movie 4 onwards) but that's not any good.

It's also annoying to hear all the rad-isms TPCi's writers add to the script but I'd much rather take that than all the 'WTF' script changes, paint edits, video cuts, and censorship during 4Kids' run that the current dub is generally devoid of. In regards to censorship, I'd say it was somebody on this forums (Dogasu maybe?) who summed it up best: There's absolutely nothing in this show nowadays, nothing whatsoever, that warrants censoring. (I'll concede Kanto in that regard)
    It's cool you feel that way. I'm probably on the opposite end of the fandom than you when it comes to the dub. lol. XD.

The dub just frustrates me nowadays. Then again, censorship never bothered me.

追放されたバカ

Visit Fennekin's Youtube Channel

Has TPCi dubbed more episodes than 4Kids yet?

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fennekin View Post
    Has TPCi dubbed more episodes than 4Kids yet?
    They will in Episode 18 of their Season 9. Not yet, though. They're about to have dubbed as many seasons, though.

Electrifyingly Adorable Sakuraa's Avatar

I accepted them from day one since I'm that kind of person that really doesn't care about what the characters sound like. I'll admit that I didn't like Ash, May, Max, and Meowth's changes when I first heard them in BF, but I got used to them relatively quickly and I'm fine with them all now.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast