What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning? - Page 6

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?

Follow PockyAddict On Twitter Add PockyAddict on Facebook
    Follow PockyAddict on Tumblr Visit PockyAddict's Youtube Channel

Default Re: What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?

Quote Originally Posted by VeggiePopper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolem_animefan View Post
    maybe even the pokemon names would have stayed the same as the Japanese. The pokemon would probably be left to the original Japanese actors.
    No and no. Pokémon names (just like everything that is taken directly from the games) have nothing to do with the anime, they're are translated by the games' localization team, not the dubbing company. Only anime exclusive characters' names are translated by the dubbing company. And even then, since the games give every character Western names, while it is logical that anime characters would get receive different names than the ones 4Kids gave them, they would still be English (or at least Weestern) names in order to fit with the other characters names. And since Pokémon names would be the same as they are, they wouldn't retain their Japanese cries.

On translating the original Japanese songs for the English dub, just read my previous post (it's the one directly above yours) :D
    yep, Nintendo names pokemon and some anime characters that appear in the games. The non-game anime characters are the the ones with name changes.

I'm ALIVE!!!!!!! nicolem_animefan's Avatar
    Add nicolem_animefan on Facebook
    Visit nicolem_animefan's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by PockyAddict View Post
    maybe even the pokemon names would have stayed the same as the Japanese. The pokemon would probably be left to the original Japanese actors.
    No and no. Pokémon names (just like everything that is taken directly from the games) have nothing to do with the anime, they're are translated by the games' localization team, not the dubbing company. Only anime exclusive characters' names are translated by the dubbing company. And even then, since the games give every character Western names, while it is logical that anime characters would get receive different names than the ones 4Kids gave them, they would still be English (or at least Weestern) names in order to fit with the other characters names. And since Pokémon names would be the same as they are, they wouldn't retain their Japanese cries.

On translating the original Japanese songs for the English dub, just read my previous post (it's the one directly above yours) :D
    yep, Nintendo names pokemon and some anime characters that appear in the games. The non-game anime characters are the the ones with name changes.
    Makes sense to me :D I really loved the 4kids/TAJ dub of the series, but it would have been nice to see it closer to the original Japanese. The DVDs VIZ/PSU print don't even offer a Japanese track. Obviously they can't because of the edits, but it stinks.

- - - > PS, The Next Chapter: A Pokemon Special Fanfic < - - -
    ~ Voice actress, writer, and passionate Pokemon lover. ~
    X: 4356-0580-1598 ● Skype: nicolem_animefan

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Makes sense to me :D I really loved the 4kids/TAJ dub of the series, but it would have been nice to see it closer to the original Japanese. The DVDs VIZ/PSU print don't even offer a Japanese track. Obviously they can't because of the edits, but it stinks.
    Personally my order of preference on the dubs is:

1) 4Kids/TAJ Dub (Seasons 1- Season 6 "Brave the Wave")- My thoughts: Awesome. The best one so far.
    2) 4Kids Ent. Dub (w/o TAJ- Seasons 6-8)- My thoughts: What's up with the sandwich edits, 4Kids? *sigh* Oh well, the dub is still good. Nothing majorly distracting besides those food edits.
    3) DuArt Film and Vid "TPCi" Dub (Seasons 11-present)- Season 11 sucked. Seasons 12-13: Well, at least it's better than the last three seasons were. Seasons 14- current: It's finally good in BW.
    4) TAJ Productions "PUSA" Dub (Seasons 9 & 10)- Wow, I hate Pokemon now. I really hate it. Screw it.

I'm ALIVE!!!!!!! nicolem_animefan's Avatar
    Add nicolem_animefan on Facebook
    Visit nicolem_animefan's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by EmotionalTensionPKMN View Post

Personally my order of preference on the dubs is:

1) 4Kids/TAJ Dub (Seasons 1- Season 6 "Brave the Wave")- My thoughts: Awesome. The best one so far.
    2) 4Kids Ent. Dub (w/o TAJ- Seasons 6-8)- My thoughts: What's up with the sandwich edits, 4Kids? *sigh* Oh well, the dub is still good. Nothing majorly distracting besides those food edits.
    3) DuArt Film and Vid "TPCi" Dub (Seasons 11-present)- Season 11 sucked. Seasons 12-13: Well, at least it's better than the last three seasons were. Seasons 14- current: It's finally good in BW.
    4) TAJ Productions "PUSA" Dub (Seasons 9 & 10)- Wow, I hate Pokemon now. I really hate it. Screw it.
    Omg I couldn't agree more with you *____* Especially your sig - she was a great voice actress. Such a shame.

- - - > PS, The Next Chapter: A Pokemon Special Fanfic < - - -
    ~ Voice actress, writer, and passionate Pokemon lover. ~
    X: 4356-0580-1598 ● Skype: nicolem_animefan

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Doesn't make a difference to me, I found Johto just as dull and uninteresting when 4kids was dubbing, and back then we didn't even know there was going to be a dub switch.

Hated Lisa Ortiz voicing every Johto filler girl, Misty's voice became too quite and softspoken and I honestly think Rachael Lilis portrayal of her made her seem less interesting than in the Japanese version. Ash and Brock were the same as was Team Rocket.

4kids couldn't save my younger self from being so bored to wanting to fast forward through the episodes just to see something interesting happen.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    Doesn't make a difference to me, I found Johto just as dull and uninteresting when 4kids was dubbing, and back then we didn't even know there was going to be a dub switch.

Hated Lisa Ortiz voicing every Johto filler girl, Misty's voice became too quite and softspoken and I honestly think Rachael Lilis portrayal of her made her seem less interesting than in the Japanese version. Ash and Brock were the same as was Team Rocket.

4kids couldn't save my younger self from being so bored to wanting to fast forward through the episodes just to see something interesting happen.
    I don't blame you. I guess we all have that saga that just doesn't click with us and bores us. For you, it's Johto. For me, it's Sinnoh. lol. :)
    VeggiePopper likes this.

Blog Entries

4kids couldn't save it because obviously they can't change the actual writing of what was going on in the episodes, that's the Japanese writers. So while I was bored to tears watching a horrible Sunflora grinning competition, a Oddish that thought it was a Hoppip, Pidgey delivering mail, Bellossom dancing, or Snubbul biting Meowth's tail...I can't blame 4kids for any of it, they weren't in control of the episodes.

If anything I feel sorry that the 4kids VA's were wasted on a mediocre saga.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

4kids couldn't save it because obviously they can't change the actual writing of what was going on in the episodes, that's the Japanese writers. So while I was bored to tears watching a horrible Sunflora grinning competition, a Oddish that thought it was a Hoppip, Pidgey delivering mail, Bellossom dancing, or Snubbul biting Meowth's tail...I can't blame 4kids for any of it, they weren't in control of the episodes.

If anything I feel sorry that the 4kids VA's were wasted on a mediocre saga.
    The real problem with Johto was the excess filler using the same kind of help out x Pokemon in y way. Sinnoh had a large amount of fillers like Johto, but they were more varied in terms of what was going on in each filler episode. I think if the Johto fillers went more in the Sinnoh filler direction in terms of more variety, Johto would've been a much better saga.

Blog Entries

You could tell 4kids were desperate in Johto to bring humor back. Many of the funny lines of Brock and TR in Johto didn't exist in the original, and were there to provide humor in a formulmatic saga.

I guarantee all that sarcastic dialouge during Johto that felt, "out of place" is only because 4kids was trying to inject some of Kanto's creativity into the otherwise drab episodes. That's why sometimes Misty or Brock would have this random funny line out of nowhere...it was literally 4kids trying to salvage the best out of a bad situation.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

You could tell 4kids were desperate in Johto to bring humor back. Many of the funny lines of Brock and TR in Johto didn't exist in the original, and were there to provide humor in a formulmatic saga.

I guarantee all that sarcastic dialouge during Johto that felt, "out of place" is only because 4kids was trying to inject some of Kanto's creativity into the otherwise drab episodes. That's why sometimes Misty or Brock would have this random funny line out of nowhere...it was literally 4kids trying to salvage the best out of a bad situation.
    I agree: I noticed that. Right off the top of my head, "Flaming Moltres!" certainly wasn't in the Original JPN, but I actually found 4Kids injecting humor into Johto like that made it a tad more bearable to withstand when episodes were getting incredibly predictable and cheesy at the time.

Blog Entries

Some lines were TR's "million dollar disaster" when talking about a pancake shop using the sap in Heracross's sap.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

This thread is about how the dub would be like if TPCI handled the series from the beginning, not about Johto or the hows and whys 4Kids handled it. If you wish to discuss that, then please take it to this thread:

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f555/what-degree-johto-flawed-117752/

Please get back on topic. Thank you.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    This thread is about how the dub would be like if TPCI handled the series from the beginning, not about Johto or the hows and whys 4Kids handled it. If you wish to discuss that, then please take it to this thread:

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f555/what-degree-johto-flawed-117752/

Please get back on topic. Thank you.
    I guess what we're saying is that if TPCi handled Johto instead of 4Kids, there wouldn't be as much additional humor injected into the episodes in the form of jokes or additional puns, making them a bit more boring to watch. Although chances are they'd probably keep more of the original JPN BGM than 4Kids did, but 4Kids kept about 70% in Season 3 and then started slipping from Season 4 onwards in that respect. Apart from that, I actually don't think 4Kids altered much in the Johto/Jouto seasons that TPCi would be any different on. Maybe the usual riceball coverup or Who's That Pokemon? Misspelling they tended to do, but nothing really silly or outlandish comes to mind. They didn't really get edit happy until mid Hoenn IIRC.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

I guess what we're saying is that if TPCi handled Johto instead of 4Kids, there wouldn't be as much additional humor injected into the episodes in the form of jokes or additional puns, making them a bit more boring to watch. Although chances are they'd probably keep more of the original JPN BGM than 4Kids did, but 4Kids kept about 70% in Season 3 and then started slipping from Season 4 onwards in that respect. Apart from that, I actually don't think 4Kids altered much in the Johto/Jouto seasons that TPCi would be any different on. Maybe the usual riceball coverup or Who's That Pokemon? Misspelling they tended to do, but nothing really silly or outlandish comes to mind. They didn't really get edit happy until mid Hoenn IIRC.
    That didn't really come up in this discussion. It has been primarily been complaining about Johto and claiming why 4Kids added in more humor into that saga. TPCI hasn't come up until now, so I still say please stay more on topic.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    That didn't really come up in this discussion. It has been primarily been complaining about Johto and claiming why 4Kids added in more humor into that saga. TPCI hasn't come up until now, so I still say please stay more on topic.
    Oh, I see. Apologies then. :)

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast