What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning? - Page 4

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 98
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?

  1. #46
    Power of Three Michonne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Halliwell Manor
    Posts
    401

    Default Re: What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?

    I think the anime would have been less funny, especially where Team Rocket is concerned. I mean I just think back to DP and I remember how much I disliked the lines that Team Rocket were given and I can just imagine how the anime would have turned out if they had similar lines from the start. I probably would have stopped watching the anime after a few episodes if that had been the case.

  2. #47
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?

    Quote Originally Posted by Charmander4 View Post
    When did he mention her in Hoenn besides AG44/45?
    He mentioned her in Treecko's capture episode, the 6th movie, and in the filler "Judgement Day."

    In the Japanese version, Ash doesn't mention Misty at all at any of those points. I think this is what confused dub fans at the time into thinking Misty was still going to be relevant, because 4kids kept bringing her up for no reason.

    They even named that random Plusle/Minun filler "A different kind of Misty" for no reason.

  3. #48
    Bonded Forever Misty Calls Masquerain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Cerulean Gym, missing Ash and Brock
    Posts
    390
    Blog Entries
    24

    Default Re: What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmander4 View Post
    When did he mention her in Hoenn besides AG44/45?
    They even named that random Plusle/Minun filler "A different kind of Misty" for no reason.
    The title was foreshadowing her return a few episodes later, but it WAS misleading.

  4. #49
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?

    Quote Originally Posted by Misty Calls Masquerain View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmander4 View Post
    When did he mention her in Hoenn besides AG44/45?
    They even named that random Plusle/Minun filler "A different kind of Misty" for no reason.
    The title was foreshadowing her return a few episodes later, but it WAS misleading.
    Why would they have to foreshadow her return when the Japanese didn't?

    Considering Misty would only ever appear 4 more times in the main series for the next 10 years, the abundant references to her back then made no sense. There's no reason to constantly remind kids of a character who wasn't going to appear much at all for the next decade.

  5. #50
    Only 70 new Pokemon? Hoopa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,082
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?

    No fans bitching about voices since they can't miss what they've never had.
    VeggiePopper likes this.

  6. #51
    Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Somewhere dreaming forever
    Posts
    4,221

    Default Re: What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    Why would they have to foreshadow her return when the Japanese didn't?

    Considering Misty would only ever appear 4 more times in the main series for the next 10 years, the abundant references to her back then made no sense. There's no reason to constantly remind kids of a character who wasn't going to appear much at all for the next decade.
    It's not like 4Kids knew that she wouldn't appear that often in the then near future, let alone the next decade. It was a bit much to make so many references to her, but nothing to get that upset about. I doubt that the episode title was foreshadowing her return a few episode later though. It probably was just another reference they wanted to throw in.

    Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared
    No fans bitching about voices since they can't miss what they've never had.
    It's more likely that they would have had the 4Kids cast or at the very least that whatever voice actors they chose for the start of the series would have stuck around instead of being replaced.

  7. #52
    Statistical Anomaly Yoshi1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    629
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?

    I get the distinct impression that Misty was more popular here than in Japan-that may have driven things in the dubbing of the show.
    Magenta Fantasies likes this.

  8. #53
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi1001 View Post
    I get the distinct impression that Misty was more popular here than in Japan-that may have driven things in the dubbing of the show.
    I very much doubt that.

  9. #54
    Filling my post quota Xeice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    91

    Default Re: What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    I very much doubt that.
    That Misty was more popular here, or that it affected the dubbing? Back then, it was pretty much known that the Japanese audience more readily identified with the actual Pokemon on the show than the American audience, who had a tendency to affiliate themselves with cast members as equally as they did the Pokemon themselves. This book had a couple of passages about it (Misty in particular) if I'm recalling correctly, which would have probably made her more renown here by default.

    As far as if it affected the dubbing process, I don't know. I'd imagine they were more concerned with making the messages more palpable to the American audience (less moral ambiguity, etc.) than they were with changing dialogue to accommodate the popularity of any character. With the Hoenn name-dropping, they were just keeping her relevant in the off-chance that the writers would decide to bring her back for whatever reason, as evident with how quick the references to her ceased as more time went on.
    Last edited by Xeice; 8th May 2013 at 11:33 PM.

  10. #55
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xeice View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    I very much doubt that.
    That Misty was more popular here, or that it affected the dubbing? Back then, it was pretty much known that the Japanese audience more readily identified with the actual Pokemon on the show than the American audience, who had a tendency to affiliate themselves with cast members as equally as they did the Pokemon themselves. This book had a couple of passages about it (Misty in particular) if I'm recalling correctly, which would have probably made her more renown here by default.

    As far as if it affected the dubbing process, I don't know. I'd imagine they were more concerned with making the messages more palpable to the American audience (less moral ambiguity, etc.) than they were with changing dialogue to accommodate the popularity of any character. With the Hoenn name-dropping, they were just keeping her relevant in the off-chance that the writers would decide to bring her back for whatever reason, as evident with how quick the references to her ceased as more time went on.
    What on earth are you talking about? Characters popularity does not change from country to country. I never understood where people could get the impression that Misty was more popular in the U.S. than Japan, it doesn't even make any sense really. I think the only difference with a characters populartiy was with Piplup, who is an actual Pokemon.

    And the brief name drops were probably 4kids way of continuity, not because they had any diaboloical schemes in their minds at the time. Considering how far behind the dub used to be from the Japanese version, you probably don't remember but we used to be a full 60 episodes behind the Japanese back in the Johto/Hoenn days, 4kids already knew at the time that Misty was going to be long gone from the anime by the time they even started dubbing the first Hoenn episode.

    And on top of that, remember that 4kids wouldn't even dub the specials where Misty actually appeared in until literally right before they lost the dubbing license. Those specials should have aired back in 2003/2004 when the Hoenn dub was first going, instead we got them right before Battle Frontier started. 4kids didn't even bother dubbing the specials Misty had until Hoenn was already over, so I guess that proves the point of how 4kids isn't this "Misty obsessed dubbing company" people pretend it is.

  11. #56
    SHSL Gambler CrackFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,336
    Blog Entries
    114

    Default Re: What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?

    Well I couldn't say if that were the case because you can't miss what you've never had. I'd hazzard a guess that the show would have had a lot less charm and definitely a lot less funny moments. Whether I'd still have loved it as much, who knows. Maybe not.

  12. #57
    pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Croatia.
    Posts
    2,686
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default Re: What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?

    We would probably get dub which is more faithful to original Japanese script.
    There would be less errors and change of titles.
    As well less editing not censoring to same degree.

    However in return we would lost spontaneous, unforced and natural portrayal of voices for main characters. In my opinion 4kids actors really put lot of effort and patience in extracting emotions and personality from characters with dialogue sounding natural, non cheesy and pleasant for ear to hear compared to clunky and forced portrayal of emotions i experienced from TPCI Va especially in earlier days.
    Puns and jokes would be less witty and humorous not going in correlation with faithful portrayal of emotions sounding more "cheesy" sometime.

    We would have worst openings imo with 4kids tending to have chipper and more exciting intros which "get your gears going", along with dub music not reflecting same feeling of adventure and dramatic twists like previous dub dud.

    At least that way i see it finding we would have lost more than gained if we had TPCI dub from very start.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    What on earth are you talking about? Characters popularity does not change from country to country. I never understood where people could get the impression that Misty was more popular in the U.S. than Japan, it doesn't even make any sense really. I think the only difference with a characters populartiy was with Piplup, who is an actual Pokemon.
    Dunno, it always seemed to me how not only Misty but quite a few main characters seemed more popular in America, Europe etc, than it was case in Japan here they in general seem more interest for pokemon than main cast itself not getting attached to them in same degree like its case with fans outside of it.
    I believe Piplup case and rather bizarre amount of attention it gets there kinda proves that.

    Needless to say in Misty case when she left while there was notable backlash after her departure resulting in petitions, complaints etc which lasted for years, in Japan her leaving didn't seemed to lift up much dust with most people being rather indifferent. At least that's what i heard from first hand from some of my friends which lived there, or from those which used to visit Japan pokemon sites when comparing them with English ones.

    On a side note that book Xeice referred to have quite a few interesting chapters about said character, original trio and impact they seemed to left on America audience.

    4kids didn't even bother dubbing the specials Misty had until Hoenn was already over, so I guess that proves the point of how 4kids isn't this "Misty obsessed dubbing company" people pretend it is.
    I don't think anyone implied how they were "Misty obsessed", but there is no denying how they appreciated character supporting romantic relationship with Ash, as well those throwbacks and references to Misty during Hoenn series being probably their way of preventing her from ending forgotten in case writers decide to reuse her like they did with Brock. At that time no one with certainty really could have known if there existed any plans for Misty or not, except writers themselves really.

  13. #58
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,156
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?

    Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    We would probably get dub which is more faithful to original Japanese script.
    There would be less errors and change of titles.
    As well less editing not censoring to same degree.

    However in return we would lost spontaneous, unforced and natural portrayal of voices for main characters. In my opinion 4kids actors really put lot of effort and patience in extracting emotions and personality from characters with dialogue sounding natural, non cheesy and pleasant for ear to hear compared to clunky and forced portrayal of emotions i experienced from TPCI Va especially in earlier days.
    Puns and jokes would be less witty and humorous not going in correlation with faithful portrayal of emotions sounding more "cheesy" sometime.

    We would have worst openings imo with 4kids tending to have chipper and more exciting intros which "get your gears going", along with dub music not reflecting same feeling of adventure and dramatic twists like previous dub dud.

    At least that way i see it finding we would have lost more than gained if we had TPCI dub from very start.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    What on earth are you talking about? Characters popularity does not change from country to country. I never understood where people could get the impression that Misty was more popular in the U.S. than Japan, it doesn't even make any sense really. I think the only difference with a characters populartiy was with Piplup, who is an actual Pokemon.
    Dunno, it always seemed to me how not only Misty but quite a few main characters seemed more popular in America, Europe etc, than it was case in Japan here they in general seem more interest for pokemon than main cast itself not getting attached to them in same degree like its case with fans outside of it.
    I believe Piplup case and rather bizarre amount of attention it gets there kinda proves that.

    Needless to say in Misty case when she left while there was notable backlash after her departure resulting in petitions, complaints etc which lasted for years, in Japan her leaving didn't seemed to lift up much dust with most people being rather indifferent. At least that's what i heard from first hand from some of my friends which lived there, or from those which used to visit Japan pokemon sites when comparing them with English ones.

    On a side note that book Xeice referred to have quite a few interesting chapters about said character, original trio and impact they seemed to left on America audience.

    4kids didn't even bother dubbing the specials Misty had until Hoenn was already over, so I guess that proves the point of how 4kids isn't this "Misty obsessed dubbing company" people pretend it is.
    I don't think anyone implied how they were "Misty obsessed", but there is no denying how they appreciated character supporting romantic relationship with Ash, as well those throwbacks and references to Misty during Hoenn series being probably their way of preventing her from ending forgotten in case writers decide to reuse her like they did with Brock. At that time no one with certainty really could have known if there existed any plans for Misty or not, except writers themselves really.
    Pokemonfan132, I 100% agree with you. This pretty much sums up my feelings in a single post. There would certainly be some pros to the dub if TPCi started it from Season 1, yet to me the cons would outweigh the pros at the end of the day, IMO. *claps*

    Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    No fans bitching about voices since they can't miss what they've never had.
    But it's fun to bitch about the voices! I love doing it! JK.

    You're right, though, I wouldn't miss them if I never had heard them...the TPCi VAs would've probably grown on me far more easily if I didn't always compare the 4Kids VAs to them, and get frustrated with them as a result of this sometimes.
    Last edited by Pokémon Master Ash; 9th May 2013 at 10:46 AM.

  14. #59
    Doc Octillery FTW VeggiePopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Silent Bridge
    Posts
    4,489
    Blog Entries
    1
    Follow VeggiePopper On Twitter

    Default Re: What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    What on earth are you talking about? Characters popularity does not change from country to country.
    Oh boy, you're so wrong, it does. One big example: Tingle from the Legend of Zelda series. The Japanese love him, Americans hate him to death. As for the Pokémon franchise, Piplup, if I remember correctly, was very popular in Japan during the DP era but was disliked in America. So it is reasonable that Misty was more popular in the US than in Japan and thus the dub writers wanted to make some references to her every now and then to please the fans.

    Also, I think the Misty additions (which anyway were inserted in the Mexican dub too as it is based on the US dub) were fine. They added continuity to the show and give us the impression that Ash did value his friends instead of the treatment the original script gives to old characters, who usually are simply forgotten once they leave and are never mentioned again, leaving the impression that after their departure at the end of a series, Ash's memories are erased (much like Pikachu's powers), only remembering them suddenly when said characters return for the 3-episode mini-arc (Wallace Cup et al).

    It is interesting that you complain about the Misty additions on the English script, when most of the time you complain about not enough Misty. You should get your mind made up, or do you just complain for the sake of having something to complain about?
    Last edited by VeggiePopper; 9th May 2013 at 01:57 PM.


    Pt: 5285 3562 3697- Veggie
    SS: 5156 5108 0540- Dany
    B1: 0175 8413 2944- Popper
    B2: 1163 7552 4502- Jonatan
    3DS: 1418-6718-4136

  15. #60
    Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Somewhere dreaming forever
    Posts
    4,221

    Default Re: What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?

    Quote Originally Posted by EmotionalTensionPKMN View Post
    You're right, though, I wouldn't miss them if I never had heard them...the TPCi VAs would've probably grown on me far more easily if I didn't always compare the 4Kids VAs to them, and get frustrated with them as a result of this sometimes.
    It's more than likely that they would have used more 4Kids voice actors. They are freelance voice actors, so they work for whoever hires them, so they could have worked for both TPCI and 4Kids. The voice actors who used to do work for 4Kids did work for shows that 4Kids had no involvement anyway. You'd also probably be nostalgic for whoever TPCI picked for their cast since they'd be around from the start of the series. The voice actors would have an easier time since they wouldn't be trying to sound like the 4Kids cast like some of them did at the start of Battle Frontier. Besides that, they would have had to get someone else to play Ash since Sarah was only eighteen when they started work on Battle Frontier, which would at least give Veronica Taylor more of a chance to play Ash had TPCI started dubbing from the start.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •