What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning? - Page 3

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 98
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?

  1. #31
    Bonded Forever Misty Calls Masquerain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Cerulean Gym, missing Ash and Brock
    Posts
    390
    Blog Entries
    24

    Default Re: What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post

    And less humor? The OS by itself had humor, and Johto had a bit, and same goes for Advance, DP, and BW.

    Doesn't matter if 4Kids or TPCUSA did it. The dialouge would be not the same, maybe a bit better, but there'd be still some classic Kanto slapstick humor.
    I meant less humor in terms of dialogue.

    Some of the TPCi dialogue (like TRio's rhymes, Ash's "wannabe cool" speak, etc.) isn't good.

  2. #32
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,156
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?

    Quote Originally Posted by Misty Calls Masquerain View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EmotionalTensionPKMN View Post
    Personally, I don't think I'll ever truly forgive TPCi for that move...to me, the VA switch felt like a huge smack in the face, then two direct punches in the gut.
    And two middle fingers in each eye, blinding people from seeing the good in later seasons, instead only being able to hear the horrible music and dialogue and voices.

    At least we might still get Veronica Taylor, though...but I don't know if it'd make up for each of the TRio swallowing whole bookshelves Dr. Seuss books.
    EDIT: Yeah, I feel the same way (minus the horrible part-- I certainly feel in those aspects the dub has declined in quality since the switch, though, no doubt about it).

    Sure, after 7 years, I've mostly recovered from the change myself...but in my heart, the show has and will never be the same one anymore in the dub. It's always felt so...annoyingly fake at times to me. Not bad, just artificial, persay.

    Still, thanks to Tom Wayland and DuArt, much of the old 4Kids cast has been able to return in one-time roles. I'm grateful to TPCi for that much. They do seem to care about the older dub fans, though, in that way. ^_^

    I guess it's tough for me to say I'd like it more if TPCi did the first few seasons instead of 4Kids, when I've liked the 4Kids dubbed seasons so much more than the current TPCi dubbed seasons myself. lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by Misty Calls Masquerain View Post

    I meant less humor in terms of dialogue.

    Some of the TPCi dialogue (like TRio's rhymes, Ash's "wannabe cool" speak, etc.) isn't good.
    --> Exactly. Here's a few examples off the top of my head in the difference in dialogue with Ash:

    Ash (4Kids; Johto): "I guess so, but Pikachu likes it better hanging outside with me. Right, buddy?"

    Ash (TPCi; DP): "Naw...*snorts* Pikachu hates travelin' that way when my shoulder is much more fun!"

    (or)

    Ash (4Kids; AG): "I remember when I started out on my journey just like x."

    Ash (TPCi; DP): "Woah...this kid reminds me of me!"

    (or)

    Ash (4Kids; Johto): "Let's battle in the Johto League!"

    Ash (TPCi; DP): "Both of us have the same goal of winnin' the Sinnoh League, and o'course...right? Yeah, well, ever since then I've been thinkin' about what it means to be strong. And that means, believin' in the strength of my Polka-mon, because I trust and love 'em."

    To me, it's as if his way of speaking changed! It's not just his voice that did. I really liked the way 4Kids made Ash talk...I'm not sure if what TPCi wrote is more authentic to how the original JPN did it, but I really liked the way 4Kids' handled Ash's dialogue.

    Thankfully, a lot of the old dialogue has resurfaced in TPCi's BW dub, which is good for me-- Ash uses buddy a lot more, and Ash no longer drops his n's and g's. :D

    --> As for TRio, TRio (4Kids) were written with a few rhymes and alliterations here and there as goofballs.

    Some of the stuff was actually..really funny. Like when James dressed up as an Eggplant in Hoenn while Ash did as a tomato. I actually like "Claydol! Big and Tall!" more in the dub because of a few rewritten lines.

    "The Fortune Hunters!" is a great example of something in the dub that was priceless, IMO.

    James: "I am the flame that burns brightest. The flame that lights the night! The flame that shatters the darkness! I am a flaming Moltres...muuhahahahHA!"

    Meowth: "Dat' outfit...where'd he get it?"

    Jessie: "I think he got that costume right out of his closet."

    Now, with TRio (TPCi), every line or two has a vast volume of alliterations, rhymes, and puns as goofballs. Sometimes, it is funny. However, most of the time, it's downright annoying.

    TRio (TPCi) always uses "primo Pokemon," (Jessie) "Dig it, jack," (Meowth) among other things, too. I honestly don't know what they are going for with them...sometimes it's hilarious like when they called Team Galactic "fashion freaks" and Jessie messed up saying Hippopotas...the dub did a great job with that, and I will say that much in its defense. :)
    Last edited by Pokémon Master Ash; 4th May 2013 at 08:40 PM.

  3. #33
    Relax and have fun. The Power of Pika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    690
    Blog Entries
    221

    Default Re: What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?

    Probably different to what we have now. No guarantee that the script writer or even half the actors we had with 4kids or TPCI would have been hired. They could have easily hired people that we never even heard of.

    The style probably would have developed different as a result.

    Also chances are the show would have come late allowing Digimon to have a head start assuming Digimon would have still arrived. Pokemon USA didn't open till 2001 according to business articles I've read in the past. Nintendo mainly handled western distribution beforehand from memory.

    Anyway it doesn't really matter to me. I would have watched regardless because no matter my preference of dub, Ash is still Ash to me no matter who's behind it.
    Last edited by The Power of Pika; 1st May 2013 at 11:53 PM.

    My name is Daffy Duck, I worked on a Merry-Go-Round, The job was swell,
    I did quite well,Till the Merry-go-round broke down.
    (Hoo-hoo! Hoo-hoo! Hoo! Hoo! Hoo-hoo!)

  4. #34
    Will Rip Titles 4 Money speedingbulletbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    352
    Blog Entries
    5
    Follow speedingbulletbill On Twitter Add speedingbulletbill on Facebook Add speedingbulletbill on Google+ Add speedingbulletbill on MySpace
    Add speedingbulletbill on Linkedin Follow speedingbulletbill on Tumblr Follow speedingbulletbill on Flickr Visit speedingbulletbill's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?

    Less edits, but still lower quality.

    Quote Originally Posted by EmotionalTensionPKMN View Post
    Ash (TPCi; DP): "Naw...*snorts* Pikachu hates travelin' that way when my shoulder is much more fun!"

    Ash (TPCi; DP): "Woah...this kid reminds me of me!"

    (or)

    Ash (TPCi; DP): "Both of us have the same goal of winnin' the Sinnoh League, and o'course...right? Yeah, well, every since then I've been thinkin' about what it means to be strong. And that means, believin' in the strength of my Polka-mon, because I trust and love 'em."

    TRio (TPCi) always uses "primo Pokemon," (Jessie) "Dig it, jack," (Meowth) among other things, too.
    Lines like that are why people consider the current dub a joke. It seems like they didn't even try with either the localization or dialogue, just used Google Translate and then try and make sense out of them, resulting in...that.

    That's what it looks like to me.

  5. #35
    Registered User Adamant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,895

    Default Re: What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi1001 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Giovanni Sakaki View Post
    As for Mewtwo Strikes Back, I think there's a very good chance Ai's prologue would have been in the theatrical release.
    My general opinion on this matter is that seeing as how it was dubbed, it was probably ditched to avoid having the movie get a PG rating from the MPAA.
    It was not "ditched", it didn't exist at the time. It was created for a later Japanese release. It would never have been included in the American theatrical release, since it was never part of the movie that was dubbed in the first place.

    How do people STILL not know this?
    투 애니원 and Bubble Frog like this.
    So.

  6. #36
    Statistical Anomaly Yoshi1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    629
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?

    Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    It was not "ditched", it didn't exist at the time. It was created for a later Japanese release. It would never have been included in the American theatrical release, since it was never part of the movie that was dubbed in the first place.

    How do people STILL not know this?
    Probably because of the time (about 4 months, which is not unusual for a movie) between the theatrical debut of the movie and the DVD release-people (including myself) just assume it was cut. In any case, had it been available, my argument would be the same-it would not have been used for the reason I stated.

  7. #37
    Back into Pokemon Lord_Mewtwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Lutz, FL
    Posts
    382
    Blog Entries
    1
    Add Lord_Mewtwo on Facebook
    Visit Lord_Mewtwo's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?

    Dogasu pointed out in his movie 1 comparison that 4Kids took the updated version of the movie to dub though. How is that possible if it hadn't been released in Japan at the time?
    Creator of The How Much Japanese Music Is Kept In The Dub Thread Last updated 8-21-11
    The user formerly known as kenai3000
    Back into Pokemon and am now more of a fan than ever

  8. #38
    Registered User Adamant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,895

    Default Re: What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi1001 View Post
    In any case, had it been available, my argument would be the same-it would not have been used for the reason I stated.
    The DVD releases of the dub DID include that added scene as a separate "short", and it was rated G, disproving your argument entirely.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Mewtwo View Post
    Dogasu pointed out in his movie 1 comparison that 4Kids took the updated version of the movie to dub though. How is that possible if it hadn't been released in Japan at the time?
    The CG edits were created for the American release, and then used in the Japanese Director's Cut, which also included a new scene at the beginning.

    (the Director's Cut had been released in Japan at the time the dub premiered, though, it was aired on TV that summer, but the order these things were done in is still obvious. The American dubbers did not receive a version with the new scene included and then make the decision to cut it from the movie at the exact frames that marked where the new scene started and ended. That's ridiculous. Don't even argue it)
    Last edited by Adamant; 4th May 2013 at 09:54 AM.
    So.

  9. #39
    Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Somewhere dreaming forever
    Posts
    4,217

    Default Re: What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pikaminccino View Post
    Also chances are the show would have come late allowing Digimon to have a head start assuming Digimon would have still arrived. Pokemon USA didn't open till 2001 according to business articles I've read in the past. Nintendo mainly handled western distribution beforehand from memory.
    I doubt that they would have started the dub later. PUSA probably would have been created sooner in order to handle the dub, especially when they would want to capitalize on the popularity of the first generation games by having the anime start around that time as well.

  10. #40
    Statistical Anomaly Yoshi1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    629
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?

    Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi1001 View Post
    In any case, had it been available, my argument would be the same-it would not have been used for the reason I stated.
    The DVD releases of the dub DID include that added scene as a separate "short", and it was rated G, disproving your argument entirely.
    Special features aren't rated.

  11. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Scotland in the Uk. Or Kanto.
    Posts
    146

    Default Re: What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?

    If TPCi had handled the dub from the start I fear that Pokemon would have become a much darker and not nearly as popular anime as it was and sometimes can be now. Not only would be not have had the awesome theme songs that we got from 4Kids but we would have been stuck with the ones that TCPi and PUSA have been sticking us with for years (except Battle Frontier that was short but awesome). Not only that but none of the humor of the original season would be there like half the Misty and Ash/Misty and Psyduck stuff. Not only that but the voice cast would have been different from the start and the less said on that the better.

  12. #42
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?

    There likely would have been no Misty references in Hoenn. Seriously, every time Ash mentioned Misty in Hoenn it didn't exist in the Japanese version. Aside from the episodes she appeared in, they made no mention of her for that entire arc.

  13. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    158

    Default Re: What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    There likely would have been no Misty references in Hoenn. Seriously, every time Ash mentioned Misty in Hoenn it didn't exist in the Japanese version. Aside from the episodes she appeared in, they made no mention of her for that entire arc.
    When did he mention her in Hoenn besides AG44/45?

  14. #44
    Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,801
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?

    Quote Originally Posted by Charmander4 View Post
    When did he mention her in Hoenn besides AG44/45?
    AG07 - "Tree's a Crowd"

  15. #45
    Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Somewhere dreaming forever
    Posts
    4,217

    Default Re: What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?

    I think that 4Kids really seemed to like the Ash/Misty pairing since they did add in some moments like that, even though there were some in the Japanese version too. I could see TPCI including a mention of Misty like in Tree's a Crowd since at least it would make sense to mention who else he and Brock were traveling with at the time, but I doubt that they would do anything like throw in a line about her like 4Kids did with the Jirachi movie.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •