What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning? - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?

RONALDO!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?

It would've been sold to Funimation in the start of season 9 :D

It would prolly be unwatchable and ears would be bleeding, this is why 4kids always on top when it comes to VA-ing
    For the last time, BW is NOT a reboot.
    (Copy and paste this to your signature if you agree)

Post Thanks / Like
    Follow Demelza On Twitter

Well off the top of my head we'd have awful theme tunes *gives evil look to Black & White theme*. But TPCi probably would have done a better job in other places, but they don't handily (to me anyway), the release of episodes well enough 4Kids showed them a lot faster then TPCi would have imo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow Don on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees4life View Post
    It would prolly be unwatchable and ears would be bleeding, this is why 4kids always on top when it comes to VA-ing
    Funny, nobody's been complaining about their ears bleeding these (is it 3 or 4?) years the TPCI dub has been airing. Okay maybe there was a few in the early stages.

If TPCI dubbed Pokemon first? All I know is it'll be possible to predict. TPCI is following up from the 4kids dub with this one, making it somewhat similar but not too similar. So it still feels like the same show to kids (such as changing the opening theme, and they even brought back "Who's That Pokemon?") but with some differences- like less/no edits and now they're sticking more closer to the original, Japanese, script. Still a few line changes here and there, but nothing major.

But if they dubbed it first? Like I said, it's impossible to predict. So yeah, I got nothing to back this up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hmm, it's difficult to say really. But I think it would've been pretty much the same as the 4Kids dub was in 1998 minus the paint edits. There would still be wall-to-wall music and dialogue edits a-plenty. The dubbing crew would've probably been similar because they would've likely used TAJ Studios to dub for them. The only big difference would be the cast - but considering the pool of anime VAs in New York, there likely would've been quite a few of the members of the actual cast on the show in some facet.

Registered User Giovanni Sakaki's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that's a very interesting question!

I think that TPCI would have come up with Jessie and James for Musashi and Kojiro too. What else would they be called, really?

Holiday at Acapulco probably would have aired censored, like Some Enchanted Sweetening aired without its dodgy Boss Fantasy.

Ash possibly would be renamed Red.

I highly doubt TPCI would go to all the trouble 4kids did to remove Japanese cultural stuff. Maybe a few things here and there.

As for Mewtwo Strikes Back, I think there's a very good chance Ai's prologue would have been in the theatrical release. The music would have remained, and we might have even gotten a translated version of Together With The Wind over the credits. God wouldn't be mentioned of course, but we wouldn't have had Misty's Public Service Announcement either.
    It suddenly occurred to Domino that Team Rocket was a massive game of Telephone, using actual telephones, with real-life results that could be really damn scary (for other people, of course).
    Domino sprite in my avatar made by http://jaydeis.deviantart.com/

追放されたバカ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just like it is now: same exact thing as the 4Kids dub, only with little to no edits and errors, more faithful translations, yet overall weaker voice acting for the main characters, as well as shorter (yet also weaker) intros, and the dub BGM would be horrid.
    Last edited by Pokémon Master Ash; 30th April 2013 at 05:03 PM.

Super Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head
    Post Thanks / Like

It probably would be about the same as it is now. There would be fewer unnecessary edits in the early seasons, they would keep more of the background music and they would probably be a bit more accurate. I think that the voice cast would be the main aspect that would be different. They wouldn't be able to use Sarah for Ash since she was only eighteen when TPCI started to dub season nine I think. They could have used some of the voice actors that 4Kids used since there probably wouldn't be much of a problem to get at least some of them and the voice actor pool in New York is fairly small to begin with, so it could have been a combination of voice actors that usually worked with 4Kids and the TCPI cast.

Bonded Forever Misty Calls Masquerain's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Let's just say...I wouldn't like it much.

Bad voices, even worse dialogue, less humor, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Bear in mind that some of the edits in the first season were essentially results of the creators not knowing the show would be localized.

Intro duration probably has more to do with the network than the company producing the dub.

Quote Originally Posted by Giovanni Sakaki View Post
    As for Mewtwo Strikes Back, I think there's a very good chance Ai's prologue would have been in the theatrical release.
    My general opinion on this matter is that seeing as how it was dubbed, it was probably ditched to avoid having the movie get a PG rating from the MPAA. It's possible WB was gun shy due to the commercial failure of The Iron Giant a few months before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Follow PockyAddict On Twitter Add PockyAddict on Facebook
    Follow PockyAddict on Tumblr Visit PockyAddict's Youtube Channel

the voice actors probably would be different from the current ones since some were not active or were young around 1998. it probably would have the 4 kids voice actors and had kept them.

追放されたバカ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PockyAddict View Post
    the voice actors probably would be different from the current ones since some were not active or were young around 1998. it probably would have the 4 kids voice actors and had kept them.
    That'd be a dream come true if they would have hired the 4Kids voice actors and kept them for the whole anime. Sadly, we all know what they did on that note in Season 9...>_<. Right in the childhood...lol.

Personally, I don't think I'll ever truly forgive TPCi for that move...to me, the VA switch felt like a huge smack in the face, then two direct punches in the gut. Sadly, I still have really bitter feelings on the matter (much as I try to lose them), and most (not all) of the current VAs have never really been...more than tolerable to me.

Still, I do think TPCi lacks in a few areas 4Kids was stronger at, besides the voice-overs.

Notably, 1) dialogue for Ash and TRio (this kid reminds me of me...o'course...dropping n's and g's repeatedly (Ash); alliterations, rhymes, and puns in full force (TRio)?), 2) dub replacement BGM with them was actually suitable for the show (DuArt's/S11+ is just -_-), and 3) dub intros (speaks for itself, really)...things I have to say 4Kids did a better job with besides the voice-overs.

Yet still, 4Kids lacks in a few areas TPCi is stronger at, besides the lack of removing JPN culture.

TPCi's pros are that there are 1) no longer edits, 2) if they make errors they actually correct them instead of leaving them, and 3) most of the time they do more faithful translations. So no "jelly-filled" donuts, sandwiches rolling down hills, or Arbok --> Seviper, basically. That's really about it on their front.

Both dubs replace a lot of the original JPN BGM. There's no real difference between them on that front.

Overall, both have their pros and cons, though. I don't know if the dub would truly be any better or worse if TPCi had done it from the get-go, but I was mostly happy with 4Kids, so I don't really have any issues with the way they dubbed their 8 seasons.

The only real issue I had with the 4Kids dub was that they replaced too much of the original JPN BGM. Yet, TPCi replaces too much of it, too. The editing...meh, it was so minor in my eyes that it never really took away from the show.
    Last edited by Pokémon Master Ash; 1st May 2013 at 01:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Dubbing errors would have been less if TPCi handled the anime from the beginning.
    4Kids did mutilate the Japanese original script occasionally, but their dub had much snappier, memorable conversations. TPCi reduce all lines into cliches. So the anime would also have boring dialogue.

Bonded Forever Misty Calls Masquerain's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EmotionalTensionPKMN View Post
    Personally, I don't think I'll ever truly forgive TPCi for that move...to me, the VA switch felt like a huge smack in the face, then two direct punches in the gut.
    And two middle fingers in each eye, blinding people from seeing the good in later seasons, instead only being able to hear the horrible music and dialogue and voices.

At least we might still get Veronica Taylor, though...but I don't know if it'd make up for each of the TRio swallowing whole bookshelves Dr. Seuss books.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel like it would have been a little bit more faithful to the Japanese version and maybe Team Rocket wouldn't be quite so 4kids-y, but that's it. Not everything 4kids did was done because of who they are, I think a lot of things in terms of censorship and localising names etc was because it was the 90's.

And are 40 second intros really the fault of TCPi? I feel like intros have been getting shorter for a lot of contemporary shows due to the increase in commercial breaks.

Somalian Anarchy Leader! John Understands's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow John Understands on Tumblr Visit John Understands's Youtube Channel

To be perfectly honest, in terms of voice actors, I think it would be the same 4Kids cast (that is if TPC USA had the ability to do so), and they might stick.

The writing would be different, less unreasonable paint edits, less obvious mistakes (jelly donuts =/= rice balls), less Pokéshipping (actually I am welcome to this change), and we might have stuck with the 4Kids actors.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty Calls Masquerain View Post
    Let's just say...I wouldn't like it much.

Bad voices, even worse dialogue, less humor, etc.
    Ash's current VA would have been about 10 when the anime would have started. I guess the 4Kids actors would stick.

To mention though, why would there be worse dialouge? When I watched Sinnoh and not much of Unova, I found it just fine. Same goes for Kanto, Johto, and 4Kids Hoenn, no matter how cheesy the dialouge was. In fact, there could have even been mistranslations!

And less humor? The OS by itself had humor, and Johto had a bit, and same goes for Advance, DP, and BW.

Doesn't matter if 4Kids or TPCUSA did it. The dialouge would be not the same, maybe a bit better, but there'd be still some classic Kanto slapstick humor.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast