What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?

Default What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?

I searched for a topic like this, and no results. Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

If 4Kids never obtained rights to dubbing the anime, what would have been different?

Obviously, the 4Kids cast wouldn't be a part of it (and would work on other shows dubbed by 4Kids), however, would the cast still be the same one we have now? Since the TPCi VAs were hired as "sound-alikes" to the 4Kids voices, it wouldn't be applied here. Would sound-alikes to the Japanese version be hired?

What would some of the names be? Obviously, Misty and Brock would keep their names, due to consistency with the games, but what about Ash, Jessie, James, Delia, Max, etc? Would they have screwed over the first movie like 4Kids did?

Would Beauty and the Beach have been banned? If it was, would they have aired it censored later on? Or would they just censor it and air it chronologically?

Would the dub titles all be puns, or would they all be literal translations? How much music (and which pieces) would be kept? Would the TRio's motto be translated the same? Would more Japanese text and culture be kept in? Would some of the translatable puns/jokes (such as Rock, Paper, Scissors in Forest Grumps) be kept in? Which Pokemon would keep their Japanese cries?

Would Who's that Pokemon? be the same? Would they have Pikachu's Jukebox/Pokemon Karaokemon be kept in? What songs would they have? Would they re-arrange the episode order (by this I mean split the first scene into 2 for the "Cold opening" effect) starting in Johto League Champions? Would they split the episodes into seasons or have it flow like it is now? What channel would it air on, and would the episodes air every day or once a week?

Default Re: What would the dub be like if TPCi handled it from the beginning?

Well we certainly wouldn't have stuff like "Misty's song" and all those things 4kids added into the early seasons.

Misty also likely would not have been in the Mastermind special, since she was clearly there for that reason. I doubt PUSA said "Let's practice a new Misty voice even though she'll never appear in any ep we actually dub over the next 6 years."

Lastly, I seriously doubt stuff like those Pokemon errors of calling a Pidgeotto a Pidgeot or an Arcanine a Growlithe.

Blog Entries

This is a very good thread topic. In my opinion, it would be a lot better in the BGM department if they dubbed Kanto the way they are dubbing it currently. They would have kept all of the silent moments, as well as most of Miyazaki's score, intact.

13 years of Zoppi rockets...hnnnnnnnng

Follow CliveKoopa On Twitter Add CliveKoopa on Facebook
    Visit CliveKoopa's Youtube Channel

The TR motto would have been very different. We may have had all the banned episodes (apart from the Porygon one). We wouldn't have silly mistakes like Arbok evolving into Seviper.

We would have had short intros. Therefore there would be no awesome Pokemon Advanced intro for me to go crazy about.

Quote Originally Posted by CliveKoopa View Post
    The TR motto would have been very different. We may have had all the banned episodes (apart from the Porygon one). We wouldn't have silly mistakes like Arbok evolving into Seviper.
    I thought The Legend of Dratini was banned because of the censors in general, not just 4Kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterdaze View Post
    13 years of Zoppi rockets...hnnnnnnnng
    Well, think of it this way, Zoppi might not've been hired by TPCi at all if they dubbed the Anime from the start. Plus, what are the odds that back then he'd make the TRio rhyme and alliterate twenty four/seven. He only thought of it during DP's first season.

Follow CliveKoopa On Twitter Add CliveKoopa on Facebook
    Visit CliveKoopa's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by PropellorYoshi1808 View Post
    I thought The Legend of Dratini was banned because of the censors in general, not just 4Kids.
    I thought 4Kids were the censorers.

Not A Piece of Cake Bubble Frog's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

No stupid made up Poke-Language ^^ ACTUAL JAPANESE KANA! :P

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by CliveKoopa
    I thought 4Kids were the censorers.
    No, the networks are the ones who decide what is and isn't acceptable. The networks decided that inflatable breasts and guns being pointed at children's heads are unacceptable, not the company dubbing the show.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on October 21st, 2014

Here's another thing, no Misty references in episodes she wasn't mentioned in Japan. PUSA would never do this:

- 6th movie: Ash mentions missing Misty to Max, when in the Japanese version he says NOTHING like this, and just talks about friends leaving, hence Max having to part with Jirachi.

- In the Plusle/Minun filler in early Hoenn, its dub title was, "A different kind of Misty." I don't know what 4kids was thinking, but putting Misty's name in a filler about Plusle/Minun that had absolutely nothing to do with her was jarring. I realize it was a pun on the mist in that episode, but still.

- In "Judgement day" in mid-Hoenn, when that kid who wants to be a pokemon judge takes out the Cerulean Badge (and we see a flashback of Daisy giving it to him), 4kids shoe-horns a line from Ash, "That's Misty's badge."

- In "Heartbreak of Brock," Misty talks about getting married, useless disturbing dub line that 4kids just had to put into the anime. Once again this is not in the Japanese version.

I doubt PUSA would have done any of this. I think 4kids was under the delusion that Misty was going to get a comeback in the anime at some point, which is why they sprinkled reminders of her all throughout Hoenn that weren't there in the Japanese version. Its kind of funny and ironic that the writers of the show never intended any of this, and neither did PUSA for that matter.

It's be as if in the BW series, Ash randomly mentioned Dawn out of the blue even though the ep has nothing to do with her. Thank god PUSA doesn't do these bizarre things 4kids did.

I don't think the Pokemon anime would be so popular. One thing I love about 4Kids was how determined they were. I remember in the earlier days they were promoting the series like crazy. Also I doubt they'll be popular songs like the original theme song I mean the theme song for BW explains it all. I like TPCi but I feel they're not really appreciating the franchise as much as 4kids did.

Quote Originally Posted by gotpika View Post
    No stupid made up Poke-Language ^^ ACTUAL JAPANESE KANA! :P
    I wouldn't mind if the international dubs edited the Kana into English or whatever language which dub is in. Of course, it'd have to be a good translation.

Blog Entries

Rice balls would be rice balls
    Music would still be changed
    Most script edits
    Errors fewer in number, but not completely missing (Minccino as Mincinno)
    And if it was always a Saturday morning only thing, even at two a week, we'd be at least half a year behind.

And at the end of the day, the difference would still be maybe 10% or so because it would still be the same show as it is now.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast