What will happen after the Unova League? - Page 3

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 171
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: What will happen after the Unova League?

  1. #31
    pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Croatia.
    Posts
    2,685
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default re: What will happen after the Unova League?

    Everything is pretty much leading toward direction of filler saga being made, after Unova league. Games usually come out during september and since it was announced league will be by end of this year, writers will have to fill up time with something before new games come out.

    I presume filler arc after league will be dedicated toward new challenge Ash will try to pursue like he did in OI and Battle Frontier, Iris will continue to advance her goal of dragon master especially if she doesn't fulfill Drayden expectations continuing journey to train. While with Cilan there will hopefully be done more about his connoisseur career.
    However i think whatever happens after league it will still be treated as part of BW2 season with sequel of BW games not being promoted much at all.

    After league, things can go in two possible directions.
    Either writers continue with promotion of BW2 games expanding on World tournament concept from games, not staying just on Junior Cup. Which would make sense, because whole Cynthia exhibition match and structure of tournament seemed like prequel to other more sophisticated cups later on which could form Battle Frontier type of quest, after Unova league. Such as Senior and Champion Cup, tournaments focusing on certain type like water, grass, fire tournaments etc. Which would be pretty cool and innovative.

    And this could open gates toward return of pother previous traveling companions like Brock, Misty etc being after all in games, and for advance of their stories.

    Alternative is doing completely anime exclusive arc similar to Orange Islands, but since writers didn't done that since 1999. and anime today follows games much more closely odds are that first option has higher chance of happening.

    Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    I would not put it past the writers to pull another johto and give us 30 or so COTD style filler eps to pad time til the league.
    Fillers can be fun to watch as well, in fact majority of pokemon episodes are fillers.

    p.s.Still kinda ironic to call shorter sagas filler arcs, when OI and BF had a lot of character development and introduced things from games(later one anyway).
    HumanDawn and djulienr like this.

  2. #32
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,327
    Blog Entries
    41

    Default re: What will happen after the Unova League?

    If the filler Saga is nothing but another stinking Battle Frontier or indoor League like orange League then I'm not watching it!
    Both of them are So Meaningless!
    Even a Rookie who never been there develop faster compare to Ash who conquer/Won both of them.

  3. #33
    Load of Belloni
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,299
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default re: What will happen after the Unova League?

    Isn't Season 2 basically a filler arc leading up to the league anyway? They're obviously just pulling things out of their arse to extend the series now that they've stormed through all the gym leaders.

  4. #34
    Future Seeker HumanDawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    1,098
    Blog Entries
    21

    Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

    Default Do you think a Champion League might be on our way?

    Think about it guys. The league is probably going to last until January, and Generation Six has till September 2013 to debut. What could the writers do to fill up that time? A Champion League! Ash will battle all of the Elite Four, using his past Pokemon. If we go by the games, it will be a 4 VS 4 battle, meaning it would take 2 episodes per Elite Four. That's 8 episodes already! Now assuming that he does beat them and proceeds to battle Alder and manages to last long in a 6 VS 6 match, that would take him 11 episodes! Now, I know what you're thinking. Aren't 11 episodes of straight battling, just after the Pokemon League, a lot? That could be easily fixed by making fillers and episodes dedicating to Iris and Cilan. Burgundy and Georgia's rivalries haven't been resolved yet. Going by my calculations, they should make enough episodes that would last them till September!

  5. #35
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: Do you think a Champion League might be on our way?

    Considering the league will be over in December and they have no new game to advertise for 7 months at least until September 2013 (September is the month where the last three major games came out), they have to do SOMETHING.

    All Gym leaders are covered, there is no new Battle Frontier...they aren't going to have Ash wander around aimlessly with no quest.

  6. #36
    Time Traveler Silktree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,396
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Do you think a Champion League might be on our way?

    A Champion League is by no means the only option they have for a filler saga. There is such a thing called the World Tournament (not the Junior Cup) which the writers are free to incorporate without having Ash win the league. Granted, they haven't said anything about there being more World Tournament cups, but the Champion League hasn't been referenced in Best Wishes, either.

    Quote Originally Posted by Human
    Aren't 11 episodes of straight battling, just after the Pokemon League, a lot? That could be easily fixed by making fillers and episodes dedicating to Iris and Cilan. Burgundy and Georgia's rivalries haven't been resolved yet. Going by my calculations, they should make enough episodes that would last them till September!
    But there would be no plausible way to fit those fillers between the Elite Four battles, so there would still be still a streak of 11 "important" episodes that would have little connection to the rest of the episodes. That is not how the anime has worked all these years. Also, a two-parter for every battle would be pushing it.
    Last edited by Silktree; 19th September 2012 at 01:07 PM.
    martianmister likes this.

  7. #37
    Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Somewhere dreaming forever
    Posts
    4,217

    Default Re: Do you think a Champion League might be on our way?

    Honestly, I don't think that they'll go for a Champion League. I can't really see Ash winning the Unova League at all. They haven't really mentioned the Champion League that much, if at all, during BW, and if they weren't going to bother putting Ash in a Champion League in DP when they first mentioned it, then I can't really see them going that route in this series. Besides that, I don't think that a Champion League would work as a filler arc. It would only last about as long as a regular League, at the most, and I don't think that would last long enough for a filler arc. Though, I can't see Ash lasting that long against any of the Elite 4. Even with using his older Pokemon, I don't think he's ready to take down any member of the Elite 4.

    They definitely will need to do something after the League for Ash to do, but I sincerely doubt that it will be the Champion League and I don't think that's the only option they have left for a filler arc after the Unova League.
    Last edited by Hidden Mew; 19th September 2012 at 05:25 PM.

  8. #38
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: Do you think a Champion League might be on our way?

    Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    A Champion League is by no means the only option they have for a filler saga. There is such a thing called the World Tournament (not the Junior Cup) which the writers are free to incorporate without having Ash win the league. Granted, they haven't said anything about there being more World Tournament cups, but the Champion League hasn't been referenced in Best Wishes, either.
    Cynthia brought it up, and I believe Trip did too.

    Likewise the "World Tournament" was already adapted in the anime poorly, its rather obvious the writers are not going to bother with the trouble of bringing back old Gym leaders, which is why we only saw Cynthia from the past. There's no point to it, and it wouldn't work well for the anime anyway.

  9. #39
    Because I can. Caseydia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,787

    Default Re: Do you think a Champion League might be on our way?

    If he'll ever get that far, then sure. Back in Sinnoh where Ash met all of the Elite Four members, I thought he was going to get a chance to battle them, but here in Unova, he only saw Catilin and Alder, so I wonder if he'll even pass the league.

  10. #40
    Time Traveler Silktree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,396
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Do you think a Champion League might be on our way?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    Cynthia brought it up,
    When did she do that?

    and I believe Trip did too.
    He merely said that Cynthia would be his next target if he managed to defeat Alder. He seemed to think that he could do it without even having to win the Unova League.

    Likewise the "World Tournament" was already adapted in the anime poorly, its rather obvious the writers are not going to bother with the trouble of bringing back old Gym leaders, which is why we only saw Cynthia from the past.
    It was called the Junior Cup for a reason, and Cynthia didn't even participate, so I don't see your point. If the writers want to do something that actually resembles the in-game World Tournament, why do it before the league?

    There's no point to it, and it wouldn't work well for the anime anyway.
    And what point is there to having Ash enter the Champion League? Conclude his story? There is no evidence that is what the writers want.
    Last edited by Silktree; 19th September 2012 at 02:15 PM.

  11. #41
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: Do you think a Champion League might be on our way?

    Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    He merely said that Cynthia would be his next target if he managed to defeat Alder. He seemed to think that he could do it without even having to win the Unova League.
    And that he plans to battle Champions after he wins the league. We know Trip won't do it as Ash will beat him in the league, but Ash may face them.

    It was called the Junior Cup for a reason, and Cynthia didn't even participate, so I don't see your point. If the writers want to do something that actually resembles the in-game World Tournament, why do it before the league?
    And you don't think there should be requirements to enter a high-level tournament? You're right, its called the Junior Cup because anyone, even people not collecting badges like Dawn, Georgia, Burungly can enter. A Senior Cup or something more would likely only include the more gifted trainers with real accomplishments, not random nobodies or coordinators, etc.

    And what point is there to having Ash enter the Champion League? Conclude his story? There is no evidence that is what the writers want.
    Because its the next logical step of Ash's journey. The league will be over by early January at the latest, they are not going to have Ash wander around aimlessly for 7 months until September 2013 with no major quest...and since BW2 didn't even introduce a new BF and Marlon/Drayden will be covered, there really is nothing else from the games to do.

  12. #42
    pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Croatia.
    Posts
    2,685
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default Re: Do you think a Champion League might be on our way?

    highly doubt it and i don't think it would really serve much purpose just to see Ash being wiped out by E4 members getting beaten to ground. Because he obviously isn't ready for such challenge, unless writers decide to use plot armor and end his story with 5th generation which wont happen.

    Champion league isn't only option writers have on disposal either, because they could always continue with promotion of BW2 games doing expansion on World tournament , not staying just on Junior Cup. Which isn't so farfetched to expect considering how whole Cynthia exhibition match and structure of tournament seemed like introduction to more challenging cups later on which could form Battle Frontier type of quest. Such as Senior cup, Champion Cup etc.

    Which would also increase chances of some of previous traveling companions coming back like Brock, Misty etc being after all in games and providing opportunity to reintroduce them in plausible manner.

    There is also chance of doing anime exclusive type of arc like Orange Islands were.

    Needless to say whole champion league with all E4 and champion battles as well episodes between them wouldn't take up more than 12 to 15 episodes anyway which would be nowhere near enough to fill up time between end of league(which happens by end of this year)and september of 2013 bung time when new games usually come out.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post

    Likewise the "World Tournament" was already adapted in the anime poorly, its rather obvious the writers are not going to bother with the trouble of bringing back old Gym leaders, which is why we only saw Cynthia from the past. There's no point to it, and it wouldn't work well for the anime anyway.
    You really think Junior Cup was supposed to represent whole World tournament? Same cup which lasted only 4 episodes, cup which aside from Dawn had all other challengers come from Unova not seeming in any way like competition which is organized on global scale?

    Even whole name "Junior"implies how this could likely be just a prequel to real world competition which might take place after Unova league.

    And it would work perfectly well in anime considering how it has potential to make whole BF type of quest with it introducing several cups which Ash would need to enter and rank up. Bringing back all previous gym leaders, E4 etc was never required to begin with, to properly promote this concept. But it still gives them options to bring only select few like ex main characters capitalizing on their popularity and doing something from which both their story and current plot could gain benefit from.

  13. #43
    Time Traveler Silktree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,396
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Do you think a Champion League might be on our way?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    And that he plans to battle Champions after he wins the league.
    No, he said that he would go after Cynthia after the Junior Cup. Then he lost to Alder and mellowed out.

    And you don't think there should be requirements to enter a high-level tournament?
    I think there should be such requirements, but Ash can qualify without winning the league considering everything he has achieved over the years. Let's not forget that he was one of the few people invited to partake in the Battle Frontier challenge, even though he hadn't won the Hoenn League.

    Because its the next logical step of Ash's journey.
    And what a big step it is considering Ash's previous encounters with the Elite Four. I wouldn't call it logical at this point.

    The league will be over by early January at the latest, they are not going to have Ash wander around aimlessly for 7 months until September 2013 with no major quest...and since BW2 didn't even introduce a new BF and Marlon/Drayden will be covered, there really is nothing else from the games to do.
    The World Tournament is a good an option as any whether you like it or not. It wouldn't require bringing back all the past gym leaders; just a few would do. There are various aspects of the World Tournament that the writers are free to focus on. I think that it would be best to use the Type Expert feature as a template for Ash's post-league quest. Basically, every tournament would be similar to the Whirl Cup, but with one or two gym leaders participating in addition to Ash and other experienced trainers. There could be four such tournaments, possibly based on Ash's core types: Fire, Water, Grass and Flying. That would allow Ash to use the majority of his Pokémon (24 out of 36), and there might be a final challenge for the remaining dozen.
    Last edited by Silktree; 19th September 2012 at 03:28 PM.
    Hidden Mew and martianmister like this.

  14. #44
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: Do you think a Champion League might be on our way?

    I think there should besuch requirements, but Ash can qualify without winning the league considering everything he has achieved over the years. Let's not forget that he was one of the few people invited to partake in the Battle Frontier challenge, even though he hadn't won the Hoenn League.
    I do believe though that if these tournaments are considered important, not like the Don battle tournaments, only people with serious achievements should be allowed to enter them, meaning no Iris or Cilan entering either. I think the only way is to win the league.

    The World Tournament is a good an option as any whether you like it or not. It wouldn't require bringing back all the past gym leaders; just a few would do. There are various aspects of the World Tournament that the writers are free to focus on. I think that it would be best to use the Type Expert feature as a template for Ash's post-league quest. Basically, every tournament would be similar to the Whirl Cup, but with one or two gym leaders participating in addition to Ash and other experienced trainers. There could be four such tournaments, possibly based on Ash's core types: Fire, Water, Grass and Flying.
    The World tournament was adapted poorly, but it was adapted nonetheless. I knew from day 1 the writers would never bring back any old Gym leaders, it is too much work for them. The fact that they even kept the name, "World tournament" instead of just calling it the Junior Cup says a lot in itself.

    I believe that was the adaption of that, and we'll see Ash battle some Elite 4 members in the Champion league instead, which basically serves the same purpose.

  15. #45
    Time Traveler Silktree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,396
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Do you think a Champion League might be on our way?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    I do believe though that if these tournaments are considered important, not like the Don battle tournaments, only people with serious achievements should be allowed to enter them, meaning no Iris or Cilan entering either. I think the only way is to win the league.
    The World Tournament is not one and the same as the Champion League. We don't know what the requirements are, so I see no reason to assume winning the league is one of them.

    The World tournament was adapted poorly, but it was adapted nonetheless.
    By that logic we've already seen enough of Cynthia and Alder.

    I knew from day 1 the writers would never bring back any old Gym leaders, it is too much work for them.
    Too much work? They brought back Brock's VA to voice Marlon of all people. They can choose which characters to bring back, and they can replace their VAs if they need to.

    The fact that they even kept the name, "World tournament" instead of just calling it the Junior Cup says a lot in itself.
    The fact that they didn't just call it the World Tournament says a lot in itself. Two can play this game.

    I believe that was the adaption of that, and we'll see Ash battle some Elite 4 members in the Champion league instead, which basically serves the same purpose.
    The criticial difference is that one quest would bring Ash's story to a resolution and the other wouldn't. That is why you're hell-bent on seeing the Champion League, but you're erroneously assuming that the writers have no choice but to make it happen.
    Hidden Mew and martianmister like this.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •