What will be Clemont's reason for leaving his gym? And who watches it in his absence? - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: What will be Clemont's reason for leaving his gym? And who watches it in his absence?

Princess of Sinnoh martianmister's Avatar

Default re: What will be Clemont's reason for leaving his gym? And who watches it in his absence?

He's probably not the gym leader, like Iris.
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Default re: What will be Clemont's reason for leaving his gym? And who watches it in his absence?

I know I posted this somewhere else, but maybe this belongs here

Maybe Clemont thought he wasn't a good gym leader after experiencing a badly performed battle and wanted to start over as a new trainer? Which may be why he used a newly caught pokemon for battle. He might have temporarily left the gym to an anime-only relative (like how Koga's sister was also taking care of the gym?), and he wanted to train more to find his confidence?

Clemont certainly seems like the gym leader to me. He was visibly nervous at Ash's response to the gym, as if frightened that he might be found out as the gym leader Ash referred to; and when Bonnie spoke of the leader, she DOES think of her brother and was thus praising him without giving away his identity.

As to how his absence at the gym will be explained and resolved... no idea. Temporarily closing down the gym, maybe?

Serena ♥ Reika ♥ Julie
    ♥~ Call me any of them! ~♥

Quote Originally Posted by YamiiDenryuu View Post
    Honestly, I don't think Clemont is the gym leader at this point, opening credits aside. Bonnie quite easily referred to the Lumiose GL as someone else, and I don't think she's the kind to be a good liar at all.

i'm sorry, but both of those are just plain wrong D: first of all "opening credits aside" -- but you can't put them aside. they exist, and he's one of the gym leaders. how can you say "those aside" like that can be done? it can't.

and bonnie never referred "quite easily" or at all to the GL being someone else -- all she said was "the gym leader is very strong!" after cutting clemont off from saying something himself (ash was MAD at the lumiose gym leader at the time, and bonnie was protecting her brother). actually she's doing a great job so far of protecting clemont, why he wants to keep it a secret nobody yet knows, but bonnie is the one who jumps in front of him anytime ash asks a question that would lead to "i'm the gym leader of lumiose" and cuts him off and says something to distract.

still not sure why this thread exists at all. there's a bonnie and clemont discussion thread, and there is zero percent they are kicking any of their established characters out, so why does this exist again?

samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by sunyshore View Post

still not sure why this thread exists at all. there's a bonnie and clemont discussion thread, and there is zero percent they are kicking any of their established characters out, so why does this exist again?
    The OP's question was about Clemont's reason for being able to leave his gym and travel with Ash. I do not believe that they intended to suggest that Clemont might be dropped from the show before his time, however there does appear to have been some confusion about this in general. I will edit the thread title to make it clearer.
    Last edited by garrison-san; 28th October 2013 at 06:06 AM.

Blog Entries

Follow Aestivate on Tumblr Visit Aestivate's Youtube Channel

Default Re: What will be Clemont's reason for leaving his gym? And who watches it in his abse

I posted this is in the general discussion thread, but I think this is relevant:

I had a similar theory about a hijacked gym, and you're right in that it's probably the robot :p My take is that because Citron doesn't have his own badges (...he only has ones to give out) he can't access his gym, which also gives him the perfect excuse to travel around with Satoshi - not only can he learn about his battle style and learn from Satoshi's devotion to Pokemon (so when the time comes and they battle for a badge he can kick his ass - but he can also be with someone that absolutely will get four badges in a relatively swift amount of time so that Citron can access his gym again and override the programming or something with his nerd powers :'D
    And as for who watches the gym... Getting gym badges is supposed to be a very ~prestigious~ and ~elite~ thing. I imagine that a lot of people that stop by the Miare gym don't have 4 badges yet and are ejected without much fanfare :o

I am sneaking at you! Spypitoad's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What will be Clemont's reason for leaving his gym? And who watches it in his abse

I do not think he is a GL in the anime. Reasons:
    1. He does not have an Electric type.
    2. He mentions that he just got a pokemon which means that he probably are a newbie.
    3. The very fact that he can travel away with Ash without worrying about a gym. He would be a very irresponsible GL if he did not take care of the gym.
    And there is no introduced character that could take care of the gym.
    I know all your secrets!

BECAUSE I AM THE SPYPITOAD!

Blog Entries

Well, Fantina had a tendency to just leave the Gym for whatever reasons she could think of, so it's not totally unheard of. I mean, she'd just vanish then reappear whenever she felt like, which often lead to people like Barry to just keep checking back and seeing if she's there or not. It took Ash three visits to Hearthome for him to even challenge her, so a Gym Leader leaving the Gym for any reason isn't exactly impossible. Volkner also neglected his Gym for some time, merely giving away badges in a large bin due to his boredom. Only because of Ash did his "spark" get reborn, returning to his Gym afterward. So, again, a Gym Leader neglecting their Gym isn't exactly an impossible situation.

Moving on, after reviewing several trailers/previews, I think Clemont built a robot to take his place while he's away. In one trailer/preview, his Bunnelby was facing off against a Heliolisk, which is most likely his, probably as a test to see if the robot would be able to duplicate and fulfill the role while he's away. And before anyone says anything, not everything happens on-screen right away, so he probably built it before they left, as not everything that happens chronologically always appears on-screen in that fashion. He's probably going to use the trip as a way to build experience and become a stronger Gym Leader as an end result, as well as maybe teach him how to adapt to different situations. After all, according to Brock, the role of a Gym Leader is to test any challenger with a wide range of situations, so it's likely that he'll use the trip to hone his skills more and become a better Trainer/GL in the long-run. On top of that, the opening "Volt" does show his silhouette along with the other Gym Leaders, so it's pretty likely he's the Gym Leader. And his "Aipom Arm" did allow them to "break in" to Prism Tower, so the fact that he knew of that way in proves he is the Gym Leader, or at least had a hand in its construction (though the former is the most likely). He's probably just keeping it quiet until the time is right. Though he'll probably give Ash a good "shock" once he learns that Clemont is the Gym Leader, so that should be interesting.

So, overall, I say he is the Gym Leader, but he most likely left a "substitute Gym Leader" to fill the slot while he's away. And, after all, Gym Leaders leaving their Gyms for whatever reasons they have isn't exactly unheard of, so it's probably safe to say he is the Gym Leader, but is using the trip as a way to strengthen himself and learn new techniques/strategies for future Gym Battles.
    Best Game Characters of all Time: Ryu 3, Nina 3, Ryu 2, Nina 2, Rei, Ratchet, Talwyn, Princess Pride, Megaman.EXE, Elecman.EXE, Bass. EXE, Tails, Geo, Sonia, Pit

Best Anime Characters of all Time: Van, Fiona, Irvine, Cynthia, Yugi, Tea, Joey, Dark Magician Girl, Kuriboh, Yuma, Astral, Number 39: Utopia, May, Inuyasha, Miroku, Sango

I apply Felix's Law: "Smile, tomorrow could be worse."

Blog Entries

Visit Grabbergirl's Youtube Channel

Well maybe Clemont is convinced he was a bad gym leader, like he used his newly caught bunnelby to battle Ash maybe Officer Jenny found out about his security system and took away all of his pokemon. Now Clemont caught a new Bunnelby and wants to start as a new trainer so he can be a better gym leader. Maybe Clemont's father might return home and take over or Clemont has a cousin or old friend about his age (maybe a tad bit older) and they decide to take over. Maybe after Ramos we might get a "Clemont's backstory" episode like how Iris did. Or maybe we might get Clemont remembering an old friend and finds him again then persuade him to take over the gym. Then Clemont will start getting tearful as he reveals why he would never reveal why he's the gym leader (I'm guessing it's enough to make Clemont cry because he feels bad for himself).

Blog Entries

I didn't think he would be the gym leader until I recently went back and rewatched it and they did hint at him being the gym leader. When Ash asks if he has a Pokemon he emphasizes that he recently caught the Bunnelby, not that it was his only Pokemon. Also, when Ash talks about the Gym, Bonnie quickly intrudes saying that the gym leader is an awesome powerful guy, just like a little sister would say. When leaving he says that he hopes he does well as too looking at the tower. If it isn't Clemont, then it is definitely Trevor. Pikachu vs. Pikachu!!!!

I think he is the gym leader now, though I am unhappy about how they are doing it.

His reason for being gone will probably be researching trainers and Pokemon, he caught Bunnelby so maybe he is interested in what other Pokemon their are. Also, being an older brother he may want to make his little sister happy and go on a journey with her. Teaching Bonnie about the Pokemon-human relationship, and using Ash as a role model for her to be a good trainer.

The computer is probably watching the Gym for him.

"How many badges do you have? Four, congratulations, let's battle! ... Begining Gym Battle Simulation...scanning opponents Pokemon...go Heloptile!...Congratulations Trainer, you have successfully completed the battle simulation here is your badge!"

he is the gym leader. so. we can drop that question right now. it's not actually something that's up for debate at this point~

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

he is the gym leader. so. we can drop that question right now. it's not actually something that's up for debate at this point~
    Agreed in that he's the Gym Leader, and it's pretty obvious. There's really no need to be so dismissive about it, though.

But people are speculated why he left the Gym and how it'll affect his story later on.
    Hidden Mew likes this.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary View Post
    Agreed in that he's the Gym Leader, and it's pretty obvious. There's really no need to be so dismissive about it, though.

But people are speculated why he left the Gym and how it'll affect his story later on.
    i don't mean to be dismissive if i came off that way!! :( i just am not sure why there are still people speculating he isn't a gym leader when it's been confirmed two different places (the theme song, and the preview of him in his gym in the gym leader's spot). so i apologize if i came off as rude or something, but i am not sure what more to say when the topic just keeps cropping up over the entire forum, when yes indeed we should be speculating on other things as you said~

my money is still on a confidence issue or a rampaging robot/dinosaur.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

So possible theories are...

1. Clemont built a robot, which unfortunately resulted in Clemont himself getting locked out of the gym. He decides to train and hone both his battle skills and scientific knowledge so he can get back in again.

2. Clemont has confidence issues. He left the gym temporarily to a relative/family member and decided to travel to find his self-esteem again

3. Clemont wanted to travel like other trainers, but ever since becoming a gym leader, he rarely had time to rest. His family encouraged him to take some leave, and he left the gym in someone else's care (likely family member).

4. Clemont unintentionally invented sonething illegal, and is temporarily banned from his job. He took this opportunity to train.

Any other possibilities?

追放されたバカ

I think he's just abandoned it and is ashamed after losing so many battles or something.
    I think when Ash goes to challenge the gym and he finds out its Clemont he will be mad at him for leaving.

Hopefully Clemont and his sister (who is soo soo annoying) will leave the series at this point as they decide to stay at the gym.
    FOr all those saying he's here to Gen 7, Brock left during the OS and Pokemon at the moment do seem to be tearing up the rule book, also ratings are down, lowest for a series opener, I can only imagine they will get worse, and when ratings are really low, lowest they've been, they will obviously consider changing the cast up a bit.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast