What are the pros/cons of Pikachu evolving? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: What are the pros/cons of Pikachu evolving?

Blog Entries

Default Re: What are the pros/cons of Pikachu evolving?

Quote Originally Posted by Karamazov View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Megane View Post
    I do have to mention that the anime universe's rules are drastically different from the games. Given that, Pikachu would more likely suffer from an evolution than benefit. (Recall the episode where Ash faced Lt. Surge)
    If I recall right, Surge's Raichu's fault came from evolving too early, meaning it couldn't learn speed attacks like Agility.
    Yeah, that was the only drawback that Brock pointed out (and back in those days if Brock made an observation they were usually right 99% of the time). Seriously, I don't see that many drawbacks (I'm talking about the series not games, merchandise, etc.).

I would be interested in seeing how its personality would change but I can't say for sure that it would. I could see Pikachu being a bit more confident in battle but I don't think it will turn into a complete asshole. The longer a Pokemon and trainer stay together/interact the more they are alike. After all the time he and Ash have been together even if Raichu would change in personality I'm sure being outside its Pokeball and traveling like it does, it will eventually drawback into acting more like Ash.

I would think if anything, Raichu would have to hold back a little more if its playing with Pokemon or trying to help out another Pokemon since it is bigger in size, stronger so it has to be careful and more delicate when doing things. And I would think Pokemon would be more willing to listen to a Raichu than a little Pikachu...

Moe
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by garrison-san View Post
    The former. Before their first battle, there's a scene where Surge is taunting Ash by wagging a finger at him, and Raichu (who seems to mimic all of his trainer's mannerisms) does the same. It could just have been for the sake of a single sight gag, but it makes me wonder if Raichu does, in fact, have digits in those stumpy paws of his, they're just not visible most of the time.
    Mind. Blown. Still, even if it does have fingers in there somewhere, I can't see those moments of Pikachu helping out and doing general out of its ball stuff with the lack of dexterity that Raichu seem to have compared to Pikachu.

Quote Originally Posted by MTD3454 View Post
    What if Ash had a Pikachu for show and a Raichu for battle...problem solved!
    It could digivolve before each major battle.

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Moe;4589810]
    Quote Originally Posted by garrison-san View Post
    The former. Before their first battle, there's a scene where Surge is taunting Ash by wagging a finger at him, and Raichu (who seems to mimic all of his trainer's mannerisms) does the same. It could just have been for the sake of a single sight gag, but it makes me wonder if Raichu does, in fact, have digits in those stumpy paws of his, they're just not visible most of the time.

Mind. Blown. Still, even if it does have fingers in there somewhere, I can't see those moments of Pikachu helping out and doing general out of its ball stuff with the lack of dexterity that Raichu seem to have compared to Pikachu.

HOLY CRAP IT DOES HAVE FINGERS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by johnr754 View Post
    PROS
    -Better, stronger, greater, Ash could win

CONS
    -The fucking market for Pokémon would collapse and Pokémon could be no more.
    Not to bash your "cons" theory but if the Unova series reflects the Pokemon company I'd say that it has already turned to shit. Seriously, evolving Pikachu would probably be an improvement. Sure it would piss off Pikachu fans but still its not like the company hasn't already pissed off some of the more devoted fans by busting up the original 3 (Ash, Misty, Brock).

Then mind raping Team Rocket, and other things like that. Heck, it would not surprise me if they fuck up Charizard's return in the N saga (sorry admins not trying to go off topic just making a point).

Seriously, I'm interested to see Gen 6 Pokemon to see if the writers are pulling random Pokemon along with their names and whatnot out of their butts just for the sake of making more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulisthebest View Post
    True Pikachu can be stronger than a Raichu but to what means? I'd say plot and nothing more aside from showing fans "Hey, I KNOW you want us to evolve Ash's Pikachu but what's the point when it can beat its evolved form? So, we'll show you Pikachu kicking Pikachu's ass but then at the end of the episode have it come back and win so there problem solved!"

Even if Ash's Pikachu learned Nasty Plot it could keep the move after evolving. But I think if it did evolve it would learn a fighting move or two to compliment its new form and attack power.
    But then what's the point of making him stronger? His strength will fluctuate anyway depending on what the plot demands, evolving him makes no difference. He'd still lose at the League and he'd probably be weak at the beginning of the next series anyway. The point is that he's proven he doesn't need to evolve to be strong and that the Pokémon franchise can't afford to lose its precious mascot.

Really, regardless of what his strength would be, the most important thing is that Pikachu shits money, so the biggest con would be that the Pokémon franchise potentially loses a ton of money. And Nintendo itself isn't doing too well, did you check out their financial results? Pokémon's one of their few franchises that consistently tops charts, they can't risk it. And one might argue that Raichu might become as popular as Pikachu, but after 15 years of using Pikachu as the mascot, I doubt it.

Pikachu reaches a Sp. Atk of 796 after a single Nasty Plot, whereas Raichu only reaches 612, and that's with a helpful nature (it only gets to 558 with a Timid nature). But who are we kidding, it's obviously never going to happen.
    つまらないものはさっさと消去。

Welcome to the New Age... yourlilemogirl's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow yourlilemogirl On Twitter
    Visit yourlilemogirl's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Paulisthebest View Post
    Ash won't be able to have it ride around on its shoulders anymore
    Just like to point out that despite Munchlax weighing a whopping 231.5 lbs/105.0 kgs Max was still able to pick it up and carry it around on his back (yay logic!).

I think it's safe to say that just because Raichu is bigger, that it wouldn't necessarily change it's ability to ride on Ash's shoulder despite how weird it might look
    Paulisthebest likes this.

Click to see my Trade Want/Offering Thread(:

Blog Entries

Yeah it would look kind of weird for it to be on its back...speaking of weight "problems" in the series. I remember Beautifly's first appearance and it landed on May's head and she didn't even fall over considering its supposed to weigh what over 60 lbs?

Blog Entries

Well for me everything about the thing would be pro but there is probably a con or two.

1. Ash being a 10 year old will not be able to carry a raichu. Thing is too big.
    2. Raichu plushies have been scientifically proven to sell less than Pikachu plushies tested against the entire population with 99.99% of results indicating Pikachu plushies sell better. The 0.01% are those of us on these forums.

Lightball is irrelevant since Ash does not have one.
    Last edited by Hoopa; 31st January 2013 at 11:31 PM.

Blog Entries

You also have to factor in that Pikachu basically runs off the power of friendship and passion, so its not like evolving could really give him a useful boost by comparison.
    Satoshi_Pikachu likes this.

Official Claimer of the Pokemon Pumpkaboo | Official Claimer of the Move Trick-Or-Treat | Official Claimer of the Items Silph Scopeand Odd Keystone.
    If you like comedy, check out my fanfic "You Win Some, You Lose Some" (CHAPTER THREE UP!) | For some supplementary art, visit NG's Sketches 'n Stuff!

Moe
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NoirGrimoir View Post
    You also have to factor in that Pikachu basically runs off the power of friendship and passion, so its not like evolving could really give him a useful boost by comparison.
    Which has always made me think Pikachu should learn Return one of these days - it'd be a OHKO move.

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    Which has always made me think Pikachu should learn Return one of these days - it'd be a OHKO move.
    I've been thinking that for a while as well, but I think it would kill the opponent XD
    つまらないものはさっさと消去。

Blog Entries

If Pikachu ever evolves, it's the end of the franchise.

Registered User Typhlosionisafirebadger's Avatar

i came here to post something about pikachu being better off the way he is but then Surge's Raichu distracted me
    Karamazov and Paulisthebest like this.

Blog Entries

Whatttt???????? Pikachu evolving!!!!!!!!

Cons nº1: If Pikachu evolves, Pokemon's mascot will disappear from the merch, promos, etc. and the sales/ratings WILL GO VERY DOWN.

Do you know how merch Pikachu are getting? Do you know that Pikachu is the face of Pokemon? The first signal that you are going to a Pokemon site (specially the official one) are a Pikachu!!!!!

TV Tokyo page, all the merch, pokemon.com. pokemon.co.jp, pokemon twitter/facebook, amazon, etc. had a pikachu representing pokemon.

And this face o pokemon is mantained by Ash Ketchum from Pallet Town.
    -If it weren't for his popularity, do you think that they are appearing in BW1 where none of the older pokemon appear?

Registered User Typhlosionisafirebadger's Avatar

I think Pikachu is alright the way he is

if anyone should evolve it's scraggy, 'cause scrafty is bawse

Blog Entries

Then I will be very sad and Mad at the Writers for doing that but I will continue to Watch the Anime just to see how it goes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast