What are the pros/cons of Pikachu evolving?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: What are the pros/cons of Pikachu evolving?

Blog Entries

Default What are the pros/cons of Pikachu evolving?

Ok ok ok, we've seen and talked about this subject NUMEROUS times. I was watching some video on a site called "Screw Attack" I'm pretty sure most of you might know that site from their now famous (and still highly debated) Goku vs. Superman Deathbattle. Anyway they had one where Pikachu fought Blanka from Street Fighter and they did some interesting insight on Pikachu.

They mentioned that it is highly likely that Pikachu has reached its maximum potential, which I agree with despite plot clearly putting his power in flux. I mean defeating all those Spearow in episode one meant that the EV training from that massive victory raised explains why Pikachu's speed is off the charts.

Taking that into consideration along with other factors. Raichu would be an incredible Pokemon for Ash to have! Put back Volt Tackle instead of Electro Ball and we have lift off.

Some of the cons (and major reasons why we'll never see this happen):
    Merchandise! Come on we all know that is the primary reason for the little yellow rat still being in its 1st form
    Ash won't be able to have it ride around on its shoulders anymore
    Writers will have to come up with even more ridiculous ways of making Raichu weak at the beginning of each series, seriously new Pokemon that are clearly weaker beating up Raichu isn't going to be easy to pull off in a reasonable manner
    Team Rocket...if they can't contend with Pikachu (who at times pulls off what seems God-like power) would not have a chance in Hell with Raichu

What do you all think?

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

Default Re: What are the pros/cons of Pikachu evolving?

Aren't Pikachu better than Raichu offensively if they hold a Light Ball?

Ash won't be able to have it ride around on its shoulders anymore
    Raichu could probably cling to Ash's backpack.

Another con would be its inability to sneak around. Being a larger Pokemon, it would be harder for it to follow people or go through air vents like a Pikachu could.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

Blog Entries

In terms of Light Ball (which is a VERY true point) we never see it in the anime right? Not to mention I'm sure if it was in Ash's bag it would have the same effect simliar to how Dawn has an Everstone in her bag and Piplup doesn't evolve.

Back to the point, that would be adorable if it were to hang on to his backpack xD

I think unlike Turtwig evolving into Grotle for example, Speed would definitely not be a hindrance to Raichu. Since Pikachu did learn all the Speed attacks (Agility and Quick Attack) already if it evolved its speed would increase of course. But like you mentioned its size would make it hard to sneak up on opponents but still its already fast enough.

I'd say if it evolved its strategy would be less about stealth and more about direct attack since it has an increased endurance and power due to evolution.

This Space For Rent DynoStretch's Avatar

Pros
    -Enhanced strength and endurance.
    -Tail reaches longer, potentially making his Iron Tail more effective.
    -Can learn winder variety of moves like Focus Blast, Giga Impact or Hyper Beam.
    -More intimidating looking then a Pikachu.
    -Longer legs that provide better agility.
    -Bigger ears for hearing.
    -Still freaking adorable.

Cons
    -Marketing (though kind of debatable. Would people really not want to buy more Raichu plushies?)
    -Bigger size means bigger target.
    -Uh...
    -Well he couldn't use... Evolite or Light Ball... even though those items don't exist nor does Ash actually use hold items, so it's a moot point...
    -*points in a direction* Look a distraction!
    -*runs*
    The White Supremacy Alliance

- Shogun - Watt - Dharuma - Ectoplasm - Ragnorok - Balrog -

Moe
    Blog Entries

My biggest problem with evolving - Pikachu has fingers, Raichu has rounded stubs.

I agree with the first 2 cons you mentioned, but I can't honestly come up with a single pro. The anime has established that Pikachu CAN be stronger than a Raichu, plus his strength will always depend on the plot, so really, I see nothing that could be gained from Pikachu evolving. Even if the anime followed game mechanics, Pikachu is still better than Raichu. Both are ridiculously frail, and although Pikachu is the frailer of the two, his Sp. Atk reaches Uber levels with a single Nasty Plot (which it learns as Pichu, but Volt Tackle proved that this doesn't matter in the anime either).

Maybe a Raichu does look slightly more menacing than Pikachu, but I don't really see it as a pro, considering it's still pretty cute.
    martianmister likes this.
    つまらないものはさっさと消去。

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    My biggest problem with evolving - Pikachu has fingers, Raichu has rounded stubs.
    Haha, reminds me of the PowerPuff girls. But though it might look "odd" I suppose it can still use punching techniques so does it really matter? I like how it has a longer tail like someone mentioned could make Iron Tail that much more effective and more difficult for opponents to dodge.

Techniques like Counter Shield, Spin Dodge and heck remember how Sho's Raichu pinned opponents to rocks/trees to fire a point blank range attack (in that case it was Hyper Beam) that would be interesting to see Pikachu using more menacing techniques to match its more intimidating appearance as a Raichu.

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Pikachu View Post
    I agree with the first 2 cons you mentioned, but I can't honestly come up with a single pro. The anime has established that Pikachu CAN be stronger than a Raichu, plus his strength will always depend on the plot, so really, I see nothing that could be gained from Pikachu evolving. Even if the anime followed game mechanics, Pikachu is still better than Raichu. Both are ridiculously frail, and although Pikachu is the frailer of the two, his Sp. Atk reaches Uber levels with a single Nasty Plot (which it learns as Pichu, but Volt Tackle proved that this doesn't matter in the anime either).

Maybe a Raichu does look slightly more menacing than Pikachu, but I don't really see it as a pro, considering it's still pretty cute.
    True Pikachu can be stronger than a Raichu but to what means? I'd say plot and nothing more aside from showing fans "Hey, I KNOW you want us to evolve Ash's Pikachu but what's the point when it can beat its evolved form? So, we'll show you Pikachu kicking Pikachu's ass but then at the end of the episode have it come back and win so there problem solved!"

Even if Ash's Pikachu learned Nasty Plot it could keep the move after evolving. But I think if it did evolve it would learn a fighting move or two to compliment its new form and attack power.

samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

Surge's Raichu had had a visible finger in one scene. I don't have a screenshot to hand, but I feel the need to point that out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by garrison-san View Post
    Surge's Raichu had had a visible finger in one scene. I don't have a screenshot to hand, but I feel the need to point that out.
    Was that in Electric Shock Showdown or in the flashback to Surge's Raichu in Pika and Goliath?

Blog Entries

Pros:
    - The anime couldn't tease us with plots about Pikachi evolving or not wanting to evolve anymore.
    - It would change the status quo.

Cons:
    - The anime couldn't tease us with plots about Pikachi evolving or not wanting to evolve anymore.
    - It would change the status quo.
    - Pikachu is incredibly popular and well known, but Raichu is much less so, which means less product-recognition and monies $$.

So, I'm going to say that it's never going to happen.

Official Claimer of the Pokemon Pumpkaboo | Official Claimer of the Move Trick-Or-Treat | Official Claimer of the Items Silph Scopeand Odd Keystone.
    If you like comedy, check out my fanfic "You Win Some, You Lose Some" (CHAPTER THREE UP!) | For some supplementary art, visit NG's Sketches 'n Stuff!

samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Paulisthebest View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garrison-san View Post
    Was that in Electric Shock Showdown or in the flashback to Surge's Raichu in Pika and Goliath?
    The former. Before their first battle, there's a scene where Surge is taunting Ash by wagging a finger at him, and Raichu (who seems to mimic all of his trainer's mannerisms) does the same. It could just have been for the sake of a single sight gag, but it makes me wonder if Raichu does, in fact, have digits in those stumpy paws of his, they're just not visible most of the time.

Blog Entries
    Follow Mikes Gardevoir On Twitter Add Mikes Gardevoir on Google+
    Follow Mikes Gardevoir on Tumblr Visit Mikes Gardevoir's Youtube Channel

What if Ash had a Pikachu for show and a Raichu for battle...problem solved!

I do have to mention that the anime universe's rules are drastically different from the games. Given that, Pikachu would more likely suffer from an evolution than benefit. (Recall the episode where Ash faced Lt. Surge)

Pokemon also change their personalities when they evolve, so Pikachu most likely wouldn't be as friendly. Especially so because if Pikachu were to evolve, it would be unwillingly since Pikachu had already clearly shown that it does not want to evolve.

Somalian Anarchy Leader! John Understands's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow John Understands on Tumblr Visit John Understands's Youtube Channel

PROS
    -Better, stronger, greater, Ash could win

CONS
    -The fucking market for Pokémon would collapse and Pokémon could be no more.

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Megane View Post
    I do have to mention that the anime universe's rules are drastically different from the games. Given that, Pikachu would more likely suffer from an evolution than benefit. (Recall the episode where Ash faced Lt. Surge)
    If I recall right, Surge's Raichu's fault came from evolving too early, meaning it couldn't learn speed attacks like Agility.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast