Ways the anime could fix the banned episodes - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Ways the anime could fix the banned episodes

  1. #16
    The Sworn Brothers Adyniz's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    2,412
    Blog Entries
    2
    Follow Adyniz On Twitter

    Default Re: Ways the anime could fix the banned episodes

    Some kind of DVD release edition. They can throw them all together or put them as special episodes along with the regular DVD episode releases.

    That's what Dragon Ball Kai did, since their episode got banned as well, due to that earthquake. So now, they are releasing it on DVD (along with other eps) in this June.

  2. #17
    Registered User Adamant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,895

    Default Re: Ways the anime could fix the banned episodes

    Quote Originally Posted by adyniz View Post
    That's what Dragon Ball Kai did, since their episode got banned as well, due to that earthquake. So now, they are releasing it on DVD (along with other eps) in this June.
    ...no, no it wasn't. There's a difference between "banned" and "unaired".

    That episode in question was not "banned" because of the earthquake, episode 96 was postponed because the earthquake was going on right then and there, and Fuji TV thus had more important things to show than some cartoon episode. It aired the week after, when episode 97 was intended to air, and episode 97 thus aired in place of episode 98. Episode 98 would've aired the next week had it not been for the fact that it was the very last episode of the series, and new series Toriko had been advertised to be starting that week. It's more important to uphold the premiere date of a new big show than to make absolutely positively sure the final episode of a show they're ending anyway airs on TV.
    Said episode has also been available on DVD/Bluray in Japan for almost a year, anyway.


    Quote Originally Posted by Destiny Queen View Post
    Now that technology developed better than before, I'm guessing they could bring back the porygon episode. It was because of Pika's stupid seizure that got pokemon in trouble. Surely they have better ways to take care of it?
    "Taking care of it" by making the episode not dangerous has always been a reasonably easy thing to do. They didn't permanently make the episode officially not exist because it was impossible to make it harmless, they did it because it was an episode that directly caused the hospitalization of many children, and they'd rather not remind people of that.

    As for the Ice Cave episode, seriously now... no one involved with the show are going to bother spending a mountain of cash repainting what, 10 straight minutes worth of cartoon footage, just so some dumb 10 year old filler can be dubbed.
    Not to mention it just got skipped over to be on the safe side anyway - the older episodes starring the same Pokemon still air without problem, so if they really wanted to, they could just dub it as-is. They're just not going to because it's a 10 year old episode of a still-running show, and no one's really going to care about stuff like that when there's so much other material.

    (and no, they're not going to release a DVD of "super special hardcore episodes that were considered too much for television" when Nintendo is trying their hardest to present the show as an innocent and clean children's show. Come on now)
    Last edited by Adamant; 16th March 2012 at 08:16 AM.
    PockyAddict likes this.
    So.

  3. #18
    The Sworn Brothers Adyniz's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    2,412
    Blog Entries
    2
    Follow Adyniz On Twitter

    Default Re: Ways the anime could fix the banned episodes

    Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adyniz View Post
    That's what Dragon Ball Kai did, since their episode got banned as well, due to that earthquake. So now, they are releasing it on DVD (along with other eps) in this June.
    ...no, no it wasn't. There's a difference between "banned" and "unaired".

    That episode in question was not "banned" because of the earthquake, it was postponed because the earthquake was going on right then and there, and Fuji TV thus had more important things to show than some cartoon episode. It would've aired the week after had it not been for the fact that it was the very last episode of the series, and new series Toriko had been advertised to be starting that week. It's more important to uphold the premiere date of a new big show than to make absolutely positively sure the final episode of a show they're ending anyway airs on TV.
    Said episode has also been available on DVD/Bluray in Japan for almost a year, anyway.
    Oh, I had no idea. Yeah, it was indeed the last episode.

  4. #19
    Registered User Adamant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,895

    Default Re: Ways the anime could fix the banned episodes

    Actually I messed up a couple facts, the episode that would've aired during the earthquake was episode 96. It got postponed a week as a result, which meant all other episodes got pushed a week back, and episode 98 just got axed completely because there weren't any more weeks Kai had that timeslot left (and they most definitely weren't going to make Toriko's first airing get postponed because of it, no way in hell).

    I updated the post, but you quoted it before the update went through.
    So.

  5. #20
    Bow before me, bitches! SammyW27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,056
    Add SammyW27 on Facebook
    Visit SammyW27's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Ways the anime could fix the banned episodes

    Electric Soldier Porygon: Dim down the offending scenes (which they did in subseqeunt episodes). That would've beat the heck out of the Japanese Government banning the episode and putting a warnign att he beginning of animes that should be common sense.

    Beauty & the Beach: Edit it to where Jessie is on the contest. James' jubiles were just a big lipped alligator moment (albeitly a very sexy one) in an era full of 'em, and didn't affect the plot any the time it was aired.

    Legend of Dratini: No way to fix it, really. Unless, of course, you want them to turn the guns into toys or lazers ala One Piece. And no one wants that. Besides, Ash hardly ever uses those Tauros enough for it to matter.

    The Ice cave: Digitally paint Jynx's skin. They did it with Mr. Popo for the Saturday Morning airings of DBZK so they can do it with her here.

    Team Rocket vs. Team Plasma: Merge the two episodes into one. Take out the scenes with Krokorok and pokemon who've sense evolved. Replace Volt Tackle with Electro-Ball. And, biggest of all, turn the seismic wave machine into a "sound wave" machine, digitally painting away the seismic waves themeselves and playing a high pitched sound as buildings shake and glass shatters (or is that still too much?)
    PockyAddict likes this.
    Being a fan means being unashamed of what you like, no matter what anyone else says

  6. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    775

    Default Re: Ways the anime could fix the banned episodes

    The only banned episodes I know of are the Porygon one, the Safari Zone one, and "Beauty and the Beach" (after that I just sort of stopped caring). But for them, here's what could be done:
    -Porygon episode - just slow down the flashing. All they need to do is slow it to the point that it won't give anyone a seizure. Or if they want to take extra measures, redo the animation (maybe add in an explosion instead of flashing colours). Or even cut the scene entirely... the scene was important, but they didn't need to show 5 to 10 seconds of flashing red / blue. Just showing right before the the flashing started and skipping to right after it ended would still make sense, as the viewer would see Pikachu using an attack and then see the after-effects of an explosion and infer that "an explosion must have just happened". Like how in other shows if someone is killed by an atack then they don't actually need to show the person actually dieing... all that's necessary is the attack and then the person laying there dead and the viewer just infers that "that attack must have killed that person".
    - The Safari Zone episode - there's no way to fix this other than to do massive amounts of cutting or make it look really stupid like those scenes in Yu-Gi-Oh! where the guns were replaced with people pointing their index fingers.
    - "Beauty and the Beach" - the editing job that they did was horrible. Too much was cut (all that needed to be cut was the 30 seconds of James's boobs). And they should have at least taken the effort of editing all the Japanese text like they did in all the other episodes.
    Anyway, I think rather than cutting any of the Safari Zone episode or "Beauty and the Beach" they should just release it un-cut for an older audience. Like on Adult Swim (even though I hate Adult Swim) or straight to DVD with a higher rating. Which they may not want to do, as the franchise is kid-oriented in the west, and releasing "adult" episodes wouldn't go well with the typical viewrs.
    But they should at least have included "Beauty and the Beach" (the horrible dub edit one) on the DVD, seeing as it was an actual episode in the first season. Also, I've heard that the Porygon episode was dubbed but they just weren't allowed to show it. So if they could just remove that seizure possibility then there'd be no reason not to show it, as it has already been dubbed and everything.

    The thing is, none of these will ever be released, simply because it is too late in the series that anyone (except real fans) would even care about them. I mean, Beauty and the Beach was aired "early" (it was like... during the second or maybe the third season), and that was still too late (it had to be aired as a "special"... otherwise it would just confuse viewers as to why it was being shown out of order). Imagine what it would be like now, all those seasons later...

  7. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    775

    Default Re: Ways the anime could fix the banned episodes

    Besides, Ash hardly ever uses those Tauros enough for it to matter.
    That I disagree with. He may not use Tauros much anymore, but they did play a major role in several episodes. As a matter of fact, I was so confused when seeing the episode that first mentioned his Tauros... it was something like "Ash has over 30 Pokémon, but they're mostly Tauros from the Safari Zone" which made no sense since the only Safari Zone episode I ever saw was "The Kangaskhan Kid" and Ash didn't catch any Tauros in that (or any other episode that I saw).
    PockyAddict likes this.

  8. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    775

    Default Re: Ways the anime could fix the banned episodes

    They didn't permanently make the episode officially not exist because it was impossible to make it harmless, they did it because it was an episode that directly caused the hospitalization of many children, and they'd rather not remind people of that.
    I can understand that, but I don't think that that train of thought is really necessary. Say there was a restaurant and a ton of people got sick from eating steak or something. That restaurant (assuming it's still in business and didn't go bankrupt from lawsuits) is not going to take steak off the menu just because "it might remind someone of lots of people getting sick". They're just going to take measures to make sure it doesn't happen again and they'll continue serving it.
    Also, I don't think that airing that episode even would remind anyone of anything. Most people don't even know that it was the Porygon episode that caused the seizures and only know the fact that "some episode of Pokémon caused seizures." Which would make Pokémon itself is enough to remind people that some kids in Japan had seizures, not that specific episode. And on top of that, it happened over 10 years ago. The majority of viewers are little kids who probably have never even heard about that happening.

  9. #24
    zzz YamiiDenryuu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Gender
    Genderless
    Posts
    1,816
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Ways the anime could fix the banned episodes

    Quote Originally Posted by dannyjenn View Post
    They didn't permanently make the episode officially not exist because it was impossible to make it harmless, they did it because it was an episode that directly caused the hospitalization of many children, and they'd rather not remind people of that.
    I can understand that, but I don't think that that train of thought is really necessary. Say there was a restaurant and a ton of people got sick from eating steak or something. That restaurant (assuming it's still in business and didn't go bankrupt from lawsuits) is not going to take steak off the menu just because "it might remind someone of lots of people getting sick". They're just going to take measures to make sure it doesn't happen again and they'll continue serving it.
    [/quote]

    Yeah, but they won't try to disinfect the steak that got everyone sick in the first place and try to continue serving that. They'll dispose of it and get some new steak. Your analogy only works of Pokemon were to stop making new episodes because of an incident like that.

    Japan, from what I can gather, is really sensitive about events like that. They aren't just going to forget about it.

  10. #25
    ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    9,835
    Blog Entries
    24
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

    Default Re: Ways the anime could fix the banned episodes

    Quote Originally Posted by dannyjenn
    And on top of that, it happened over 10 years ago.
    Closer to 15, actually.

    And it's the fact that the episode aired nearly a decade and a half ago that's keeping anyone from going out and "fixing" it. The episode is far, far too old for anybody to bother revisiting. They've got newer, more relevant things to spend their time and money on.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

    | My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

  11. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    775

    Default Re: Ways the anime could fix the banned episodes

    Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    And it's the fact that the episode aired nearly a decade and a half ago that's keeping anyone from going out and "fixing" it. The episode is far, far too old for anybody to bother revisiting. They've got newer, more relevant things to spend their time and money on.
    Yeah, this is exactly what I'm thinking. Even if Japan is sensitive about the seizure episode, they could still air it in other countries. The reason they don't is because its so old and not even relevant to the series anymore. As I said before, this (the fact that they're all from previous seasons) is why all the banned episodes (with the exception of "Team Rocket vs. Team Plasma") will never be shown, even if they are fixed.
    It would be nice if they were to release them onto DVD, but like Adamant said, there's no way that'll happen.
    Also I agree with him on the Jynx episode, nothing needs to be changed. I have the DVDs and there are other episodes with black Jynx and they have no problem putting them on the DVD without making Jynx purple. I don't see why they even have the need to make Jynx purple and why Funimation needs to make Mr. Popo blue (on the Saturday episodes)... neither of those characters have anything to do with black-face. Any resemblance they have is pure coincedence. And I don't see them editing another "racist" portryal -- the Super Saiyan, who has certain similarities to an Aryan (he's some sort of "superior race" with blond hair and blue eyes). Not to mention that Mr. Popo is edited only on the Saturday dub and not the Nicktoons dub, which makes no sense (if it was an issue, why are they fine with airing it unchanged on one channel that the same kids watch?). But anyway, if they did feel the need to make Jynx purple, they could just go ahead and do it. The reason they don't do it is because its such an old episode that it'd be irrelevant and most viewers wouldn't even care.

  12. #27
    Bow before me, bitches! SammyW27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,056
    Add SammyW27 on Facebook
    Visit SammyW27's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Ways the anime could fix the banned episodes

    It would be nice if they were to release them onto DVD, but like Adamant said, there's no way that'll happen.
    Also I agree with him on the Jynx episode, nothing needs to be changed. I have the DVDs and there are other episodes with black Jynx and they have no problem putting them on the DVD without making Jynx purple. I don't see why they even have the need to make Jynx purple and why Funimation needs to make Mr. Popo blue (on the Saturday episodes)... neither of those characters have anything to do with black-face. Any resemblance they have is pure coincedence. And I don't see them editing another "racist" portryal -- the Super Saiyan, who has certain similarities to an Aryan (he's some sort of "superior race" with blond hair and blue eyes). Not to mention that Mr. Popo is edited only on the Saturday dub and not the Nicktoons dub, which makes no sense (if it was an issue, why are they fine with airing it unchanged on one channel that the same kids watch?). But anyway, if they did feel the need to make Jynx purple, they could just go ahead and do it. The reason they don't do it is because its such an old episode that it'd be irrelevant and most viewers wouldn't even care.
    Another weird thing is that Nicktoons played DBZK way more often than the CW (and to a lesser extent GT, where Mr. P also appears in) and has more viewers in a few days than the CW sees in months! O.O
    Being a fan means being unashamed of what you like, no matter what anyone else says

  13. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: Ways the anime could fix the banned episodes

    Porygon: Tone down the lightning, and stuff.
    Jynx: Use the purple version instead.
    Team Plasma VS. Team Rocket: Make the Castelia City get rebuilt after. And tone down the explosions.

  14. #29
    Statistical Anomaly Yoshi1001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    629
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Ways the anime could fix the banned episodes

    Maybe they should just novelize (not graphic, straight-up text) them, which gives them the most room to work with.

  15. #30
    Face of mercy? NOPE Yato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Anywhere
    Posts
    6,663
    Blog Entries
    435

    Follow Yato on Tumblr

    Default Re: Ways the anime could fix the banned episodes

    We're never going to see them anyways, but still, the Porygon episode only needs some light/coloring adjustment.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •