TPCI or 4Kids: Pros & Cons! (In My Opinion) - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: TPCI or 4Kids: Pros & Cons! (In My Opinion)

Blog Entries

Default Re: TPCI or 4Kids: Pros & Cons! (In My Opinion)

And I'd be leery about saying that 4Kids did better voice work than TPCI does. TPCI's isn't exceptional by any means, but there are a metric ton of characters during the OS and AG series which came off pretty flat too. Honestly, I think the two companies are more or less in the same league when it comes to voice acting.

Relax and have fun. The Power of Pika's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EmotionalTensionPKMN View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikaminccino View Post

The actors of both companies are people who love what they do. The crew of both companies love what they do but the actual companies heads are not.

When companies come out with profit talk as their main focus that means that's all they care about.

Duart is probably the first western company in some time to earn my respect. I've been studying them and there's so much on their love for the industry and love for making cartoons it's amazing. They're a company that's in it for the love of it. Unfortunately TPCI gives the command and restricts them. I can only imagine what they would do with pokemon if they had more freedom and money.
    Bolded and italicized certain lines you said: I agree 100% with you on these points.

Really, I blame the higher ups of both companies, because it seemed like a lot of the actors and production team from the 4Kids dub were very sad they were not allowed to work on the dub anymore when the switch occurred, and the current voice actors and production team from the TPCi dub seem to like what they're doing too.

Neither 4Kids or TPCi are great in my eyes as companies, but for once, the lesser of the evils here is actually 4Kids to me. They were most certainly still in it for the money, for sure, but they cared a little more about the anime in my eyes.

What I find sad about it, most of all, is that the actors and production teams of both dubs have had to suffer because of the mistakes of both companies.

It's not just the dubbers' fault, though. I would say TPC JPN is really no different from 4Kids or TPCi anymore. It's sad, but true, IMO. All the companies were/are in it for profit. Any business is, really, but what's sad here is that Pokemon wasn't always so profit-focused.
    I still don't agree about 4kids caring more about the show outside of money. Though I'm not going to go further into that.
    I'll just say I haven't read anything that implies otherwise.

I agree that even the japanese company is money focused though. They had a good writer who's aim was to make a family show and he ended up quitting due to problems in the company. Shame really.

I treat it as a fun cartoon and nothing more. I enjoy it for what it is.

Though I would never put either dub on the same level of cartoons that had true care put into them.

I don't dislike the companies. I like their cartoons and the cartoons are enjoyable. I just wish they'd have a better attitude towards what they're doing and actually put the effort in to actually show they're passionate about dubbing cartoons. If I'm wrong about any of them it would be nice to get a write up from their high ups from both companies on the vision they had for the show.

The actors and crew in both companies do a good job at this and care very much for what they do but the companies feel divided when the bosses have other ideas

I grew up mainly on cartoons that actually were made by companies that care. 4kids Pokemon was good but it was a massive step down compared to them. I watched anything so it didn't bother me and the show was fun despite it. TPCI isn't really that different in that regard. Different issues but still a fun show.
    Last edited by The Power of Pika; 9th September 2013 at 02:06 AM.
    Trevenant likes this.

My name is Daffy Duck, I worked on a Merry-Go-Round, The job was swell,
    I did quite well,Till the Merry-go-round broke down.
    (Hoo-hoo! Hoo-hoo! Hoo! Hoo! Hoo-hoo!)

Anybody who thinks that this show is for anything but money is completely delusional. This show exists SOLELY to sell more games, trading cards, and toys. Period.

Bonded Forever Misty Calls Masquerain's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charmander4 View Post
    Anybody who thinks that this show is for anything but money is completely delusional. This show exists SOLELY to sell more games, trading cards, and toys. Period.
    It's possible to make money while PUTTING OUT A GOOD PRODUCT, you know.

Electrifyingly Adorable Sakuraa's Avatar

4kids pros

-I tend to favor most of the original 4kids actors for the earlier characters, however I have no issue with their newer ones.
    -I prefer their intros; focusing on Ash's dream of being a Pokémon Master instead of just friendship.

4kids cons

-Edits. This can include anything from character dialogue, changing Japanese food into sandwiches and crackers, removing kanji from signs, etc.
    -Errors. Arbok evolving into Seviper, putting the wrong name in the Trainer's Choice Pokémon, and any other errors in dialogue.
    -Deleting scenes. A few of the scenes that were deleted, I can understand (James's fake breasts). But others, such as Ash getting hit in the face with a baseball in a scene intended for humor, I didn't really see that much of a problem with.

TPCi pros

-Sticking to the original dialogue for the most part with little to no errors.
    -Keeping Japanese references.
    -Not editing out scenes.

TPCi cons

-Intros
    Last edited by Sakuraa; 9th September 2013 at 07:39 PM.

Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by UnovaCastaway View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Glitchipedia View Post

I also think the 4Kids voice cast cared about the fandom more than the current cast does. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    TPCI VAs do care about the fandom! Michele Knotz is a very bubbly individual who likes to talk to fans as much as possible. Many of the VAs show up at cons. I've met Michele, Bill Rogers, Jamie McGonnigal, and Mike Pollock, and a couple others that way.
    I stand corrected and retract my statement.

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty Calls Masquerain View Post
    I'm aware of that, but there are several posts saying "all 4Kids did was care about the money", which isn't true at all, as if people like the producers and VAs didn't care about the work they were doing. Also, I find it funny how 4Kids is looked at as "greedy" when it was in fact TPCI who took over the dub for the sole reason to cut costs. The people who work on the show care for it, the people who green-light its continued existence care about the $$$.

Bonded Forever Misty Calls Masquerain's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm aware of that, but there are several posts saying "all 4Kids did was care about the money", which isn't true at all, as if people like the producers and VAs didn't care about the work they were doing. Also, I find it funny how 4Kids is looked at as "greedy" when it was in fact TPCI who took over the dub for the sole reason to cut costs. The people who work on the show care for it, the people who green-light its continued existence care about the $$$.
    Oh, then I agree with you. TPCi is the one who only cares about money (why did anyone need their voice changed...), 4Kids put genuine effort into promotion, the actual dub, casting, etc. TPCJPN is kind of in the same boat as TPCi, they're not even trying anymore.

Blog Entries

Well I don't know who your referring too but I said both actors and crew care for the show. Just to be clear so I agree on what you said there.

However I said I don't support the bosses of 4kids and TPCI because I don't agree with their methods on handling.
    Last edited by The Power of Pika; 12th September 2013 at 02:15 AM.

Follow Pikachu4170 On Twitter
    Visit Pikachu4170's Youtube Channel

A Con on TPCI:
    FRICKING TIMEWARNER (Cable-only channel)!

Blog Entries

Oh well. Now thinking about it, it can go either way.

Both companies could be greedy but both companies could not be greedy. The show isn't as profitable as it once was so there's less money getting made from the show meaning less going into it aswell. Cutting costs could also be a result of trying to help the show to survive. Just a thought.

The information I've read can go either way in that regard so I change my opinion to a overall where it could be either way.

Though I've decided I won't think about it anymore.^-^;;;;

Honestly I'm just glad the show is still around. The old actors wouldn't even be voicing in the current dub at all if the show was cancelled. I like that TPCI is trying to bring both sets of actors together no matter the role.

I'm going to do this properly now that my mind is a bit more clearer.

4kids pro:
    Light hearted a strength
    fun characters.
    enjoyable
    Good music.
    Great actors.

4kids con:
    Sometimes ash did come out with embarrassing statements.^-^;;;;
    Also riceball changes and brock's Mother dying apparently.(I know this was a mistake but it causes issues with continuity).
    Eusine becoming Eugene and Vincent/ jackson situation.
    Missing scenes in raikou legend of thunder.
    The entire opening story back history is missing from pokemon movie 5.
    The Pokemon chronicles first english tune shouldn't have used the chorus of the johto pokerap.......

Otherwise it was good.=3

TPCI pro:
    more serious a strength
    fun characters
    enjoyable
    Good music
    Great actors and hiring both new and old to bring together the 2 worlds.

TPCI CON:
    Short theme tunes. I love their theme tunes and want them longer.=3
    If anyone can tell me what on earth meowth was going on about during the episode leave it to brocko when talking to Shiftry I would be most happy to find out. Yeah I know it was probably a mistake in the lines but it makes no sense to me.XP

Otherwise it was good.

They're both good companies in their own way.imo
    Last edited by The Power of Pika; 12th September 2013 at 03:31 AM.

Will Rip Titles 4 Money speedingbulletbill's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow speedingbulletbill On Twitter Add speedingbulletbill on Facebook Add speedingbulletbill on Google+ Add speedingbulletbill on MySpace
    Add speedingbulletbill on Linkedin Follow speedingbulletbill on Tumblr Follow speedingbulletbill on Flickr Visit speedingbulletbill's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Pikaminccino View Post
    If anyone can tell me what on earth meowth was going on about during the episode leave it to brocko when talking to Shiftry I would be most happy to find out.
    From Dogasu's Backpack:

Dialogue Edits

We get this script oddity at the end of the episode:

Meowth: "That Shiftry's the one who was nasty to you, Nuzleaf! We were only trying to be nice and help ya out!"

Um...what?

Originally, Nyasu was telling Dartengu that the twerps were trying to take Konohana and that they (the Rocket-Dan) were only trying to help it. Dartengu, in response to this, starts to turn on our heroes.

The dubbed version doesn't make any sense at all because he's basically telling Nuzleaf that Shiftry's a bad guy. Not really the best thing to do if you're trying to get Shiftry to help you out, now is it?

I consider TPCI to be an improvement over 4Kids in most (all?) regards. That includes the voices.

You could make an argument for the first couple of seasons, but by the Orange Islands the cast settled into doing caricature voices that they never broke out of. Eric Stuart was the worst about this, where Brock and James just sounded like variations of Kaiba. Veronica Taylor made Ash sound like a girl and I think she's kind of monotone. Sarah Natochenny does a much better job with Ash's more heated moments. Overall I felt there was a phoning in by the 4Kids cast past a certain point that I don't think the TPCI cast has hit yet. Now there are some TPCI voices that are absolutely terrible - like Professor Oak - but after warming up to the new cast I've started to prefer them.

TPCI's record with keeping bgm is spotty but you do get those occasional episodes where everything is kept without any ugly filler music, and that's more than 4Kids did. I'd say 4Kids' in-house music is a little better though. They also had better theme songs.

Other people have mentioned the script and censorship as areas of improvement and I agree with those. The best thing TPCI does over 4Kids is keep consistency with the video games, something the staff at 4Kids clearly felt they didn't have time for. And this was a problem with 4Kids as a whole, you could see it in Yugioh, Sonic X, and Kirby as well, series based on already-existing franchises that were filled with translation errors that were correct in the video games (or the TCG in Yugioh's case).

TPCI still has their problems, but those problems were also 4Kids problems, so not much to say on that.
    Blue_Drifblim and 8ther like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu4170 View Post
    A Con on TPCI:
    FRICKING TIMEWARNER (Cable-only channel)!
    They had to find a new channel to air it on since Kids' WB was getting rid of all it's Japanese animated programming after Season 8. Considering how much anime Cartoon Network was airing at the time (When the original Toonami was still around), it made complete sense to go there. Not to mention it's a pretty popular channel, cable-only or not. Reruns are also aired on Boomerang, which is also good.

I'm gonna have to agree that 4Kids for the most part had the better cast at the start, but the new cast has improved dramatically over the years. But I would give the nod to TPCI simply because their localization comes off as a bit more genuine as oppose to borderline racist like 4Kids did. (Seriously, did they think non-Japanese children are going to boycott the series for showing a riceball?)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast