Thoughts on why Tobius was introduced?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Thoughts on why Tobius was introduced?

Default Thoughts on why Tobius was introduced?

I didn't really understand why Tobius was put in for the Sinnoh League when he really didn't have anything to do with the show before or after that.

I also felt that a trainer with all legendary pokemon was a little over the top. PLEASE GIVE YOUR THOUGHTS!

Default Re: Thoughts on why Tobius was introduced?

He was put there so Ash could lose the tournament quickly and in a believable manner so they could move on to things like saying goodbye to Brock and Dawn and on to the new region.

Good point.. now that I think of it, it was nice to see him lose in that matter compared to when he lost in Hoenn and the Silver Conference.

Registered User Typhlosionisafirebadger's Avatar

come on if Ash lost to anything else but legendary/pseudo legendary types or a badass trainer that we met during that series, could you imagine the fan outrage?

this was a best possible scenario IMO

I think Dogasu provided the best explanation:
    Japanese Episode DP 189

And we don't know whether his team was really full of legendaries XD For all we know, his team consisted of Latios, Darkrai, Rattata, Bidoof, Sentret, and Zigzagoon.
    Metan likes this.
    つまらないものはさっさと消去。

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

I actually liked seeing a trainer with legendary Pokemon in a league. It might have come off as being cheap, especially with just using Darkrai all the time until Ash defeated it, but I thought it was refreshing and after the battle against Paul, I kind of liked that it was legendary Pokemon that ended up defeating Ash, as opposed to some other kind of Pokemon. It would have been nice if they had another episode for the battle, instead of being full of mostly one-hit knockouts, but they didn't have the time to do that unfortunately.
    3Dchu and Satoshi_Pikachu like this.

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I also liked that it was a trainer who used ubers to defeat Ash in a league, rather than "normal" Pokemon like usual. I did think that Tobias' using Darkrai to collect all of his Sinnoh region gym badges, and in the whole league up until Ash, was an over-the-top decision on the writers' part, but outside of that, I had no problems at all about a trainer who had at least two rare, powerful ubers to defeat Ash in a league - unlike about 90% of the fanbase, it would appear. It really made Ash look like he had come far as a trainer.
    Hidden Mew and Heredity like this.

Blog Entries

Here's my theory: (And like all my theories, it may be completely wrong.)

I think TPTB may have originally meant for Sinnoh to be the region where Ash finally won the league tourney. I base this on all the talk about the winner being able to challenge the Sinnoh E4 and champ, which suggested that they honestly were setting up an eventual Ash/Cynthia showdown. Unfortunately, it took them four years to get Ash to the league, and by then the release of the BW games (and, by extension, the next generation of the anime) was rapidly approaching. TPTB therefore needed to wrap up DP as quickly as possible. Enter Tobias, and the ensuing curbstomping of Ash.

I think if TPTB had gotten Ash to the league in a more timely manner, they might have actually had him win the tourney and challenge the E4 and Cynthia. Unfortunately, they couldn't help stalling. Basically, they're the equivalent of the student who procrastinates on a school project and puts together a barely-mediocre product the night before it's due. (I've been there.)
    PokeLubber and Owain like this.
    You Might Be A Redneck If...

You think The Nutcracker is something you did off the high dive.
    You've ever smuggled food out of an all-you-can-eat buffet.
    The original color of your carpet is an unsolved mystery.
    You've had more court dates than second dates.
    The closest you've come to royalty is eating at Burger King.
    You've ever stared at a carton of orange juice because it said "concentrate."
    You think a quarterhorse is that ride in front of K-Mart.

Will Rip Titles 4 Money speedingbulletbill's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow speedingbulletbill On Twitter Add speedingbulletbill on Facebook Add speedingbulletbill on Google+ Add speedingbulletbill on MySpace
    Add speedingbulletbill on Linkedin Follow speedingbulletbill on Tumblr Follow speedingbulletbill on Flickr Visit speedingbulletbill's Youtube Channel

As a cheap plot device to boot Ash out of the Sinnoh League, which would then lead to us being stuck with him forever...

Has converted to Helixism Miles101's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Over the top? Half the kids who play Pokémon sweep everybody with their legendaries! Tobias was like a shout-out to players who don't bother to train non-legends. I thought it was funny and clever, if not a bit Diablous ex Machina-ish.

The Jet Black Pokemon Ninja_Oscar's Avatar

Follow Ninja_Oscar on Tumblr

So Ash would lose the one time he could have one. I hate Tobias forever!

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

The Sinnoh league had to end. To do that Ash had to lose to somebody. At that point there just wasn't enough time to properly develop a Harrison/Tyson type character to have a meaningful final battle with Ash, and having a random trainer mop the floor with him in one episode using regular Pokemon would have been anti-climactic after the Paul battle.

Enter Tobias. Was having an adult character who uses legendaries to sweep through a league full of children ridiculous in the context of the story? Yes. Were there really any better options given the circumstances? No.

All in all, I'm kind of glad we got Tobias. Sure his mere existence in the league solely to beat Ash is some of the most contrived shit ever, but anything else would have seemed lame after Ash vs Paul anyway. At least they used that opportunity to show us something new and interesting.

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Oscar View Post
    So Ash would lose the one time he could have one. I hate Tobias forever!
    He would have lost the league regardless of who his new league rival was and what Pokemon the new rival had used - because the writers clearly have no intention of having Ash win a league in any series soon. Having him eliminated by ubers just made him go out in a grander, more epic way than ever.

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

Tobias was nothing more than an excuse by the writers so they could get to Unova faster, basically, higher-ups demanded that the writers sped things up because Black and White were being released, so Tobias was basically an excuse. As a result, everything was rushed just so they could get to Gen 5 in time for the release.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

I agree with Dracoman.
    White FC: 0218 6574 2961
    Black 2 FC: 1722 2422 0764

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast