Thoughts on a hypothetical Female Rival

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Thoughts on a hypothetical Female Rival

Blog Entries

Default Thoughts on a hypothetical Female Rival

Excuse me if this was done before...

Since Serena's going to be Ash's new companion, what do you think of the concept of a female rival for Ash as others speculated she'd be? That is, his main one like Trip and Paul. And I don't mean just for XY just so we're clear.

Try to answer these three questions as your response:

Would the writers even consider such a thing and go through with it (maybe to test the waters)? Best Wishes showed there was a first time for everything.

How could they do it right? A stopped clock is right at least twice a day.

How could they do it wrong? Having traits of a Shonen Anime, there's obviously going to be some biased towards males with a TV executive's "boys like boys characters in main roles" mentaility.

Blog Entries

Follow Zexy on Tumblr Visit Zexy's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Thoughts on a hypothetical Female Rival

Ι think that going with a female rival at this point would be risky.

Firstly, Best Wishes and its tests caused more animosity than goodwill towards the anime. More than ever, they will have to stick to the old ways (AG-DP) in order to keep their audience intact.

If needed, it can be done right. Just give her a good reason to fight or a fitting personality, and treat her like Paul or Gary even though she is a girl.

There are lots of ways to do something wrong. As said, the fact that it is Shonen means that females are treated more like "eye candy" than serious characters (this is not always the case, ex May/Dawn and the Contest arcs in general). Said mentality is inevitable, and shipping with the rival is not something the writers would like to try.

I got a scum result on that bush! LYNCH IT LYNCH IT LYNCH IT!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zexy View Post
    Firstly, Best Wishes and its tests caused more animosity than goodwill towards the anime. More than ever, they will have to stick to the old ways (AG-DP) in order to keep their audience intact.
    Well, they tried if anything.

I think Iris should have been a rival, her personality would make more sense that way. She was way too unfriendly to Ash to be convincing as a companion.
    Team Gaara likes this.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Remember the league fiasco where Bianca was defeated by Cameron in Best Wishes?

Not having that again

Blog Entries

She will either be hyper feminine, goofy, clumsy, cutesy or annoying. You will never see a female rival that is mature, serious and caused the male lead to strive to beat. What you need is someone like Hunter J to be a rival, but you will never see that in this show.

I know this because every season copies the first. That, and with Hunter J being the only exception this shows been a hyper stereotypical Japanese culture spinoff and very little thought is put into character development.
    matt0044 and Lis like this.
    IGN: Jraken
    FC: 4227-2083-0655
    Ditto, Lillipup, Loudred

RP Story: World Without Legends (ongoing)
    PS- I hope you like nightmares. >}
    Story Registry: Signups

Lis
    Blog Entries

To answer your questions:

- I don't think that writers will even glance at the concept of a female rival, simply because the the girls in the main cast tend to follow the japanese stereotype of the ideal woman (carefree, and pretty-thinker with butterflies in her mind that shows little personality deepnes and is used to develope the role of the "eye-candy" in the group. Sad) So then, since they are just dolls it would be unlikely to see a girl recieving so much "coolnes" for as to dare face Ash and ocassionally defeat him so that he increases his rage and determination (same o'l story) Yet, personally, i think it would be terribly interesting to see that.

- How could they do it right? Well, that's hard to say. If they look for a challenge to Ash then she'll probably have to be a little more serious than the common "poke-girls" that we see when battling, and her pokemon would have to be certainly challenging at first (at least) Yet again, a "tsundere" character would be suitable to my perspective, but since they are fashionable, it would probably go for a boy character (we stopped having tsundere girls after Misty, and she was not really as "extreme" as Paul)
    However, a femenine version of Paul might be a little too "heavy", giving the series little.. versatility. I would love to see a rival just as pokemon-loving and forward-going as Ash is for him (similarities, actually, can impulse two people to compete even more than the differences between them) I think that it would be tasty enough to see that, having Ash being challenged in the strongest aspect of his trainning techniques: his blind perseverance and trust in his pokemon :)!

- Doing it wrong would mean that there was no genuine rivalry between them, that there was no "friction" or sparkle of power or ambition and even a little enemity during their fights (i think that this would make any rival fail as such, not just a girl one. I mean, despite his/her sex a rival is a rival afterall) I don't see how she being a girl could ruin her role as a rival, really. Wehether she's an otaku, likes to wear belts on her forehead as head bandades or skating shouldn't interfeer with her battling developement, her decency as a trainer and her strategical habilties, now should it? At most i think it would add originality to the character the fact that the main's rival is a girl, and also a sense of reciprocate acceptance as equals, who see in eachother nothing else but defeatable greatness.
    Last edited by Lis; 16th December 2013 at 06:54 PM.
    matt0044 and pokemon fan 132 like this.

I am sneaking at you! Spypitoad's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It could be fun. A really evil girl like Ursula. But more skilled and smarter.
    I know all your secrets!

BECAUSE I AM THE SPYPITOAD!

I never really got why some fans (not necessarily referring to the OP here, just in general) want so badly for Ash to get a female rival. That's not to say I'm against the idea, because I'm not, but I don't see how it'd be different for any more than the one episode she first appears in. I think she'd likely just settle into the same pattern Gary/Paul/Trip did - "establish rivalry with Ash, show him up a few times, get development episode(s), lose to Ash in the League, get written off the show". That's not to say there's anything wrong with a female rival of course, but in the end she's not going to be that much different than a male one.

Princess of Sinnoh martianmister's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Covershot View Post
    That's not to say there's anything wrong with a female rival of course, but in the end she's not going to be that much different than a male one.
    But that's the point. She should be a real rival, not some joke, who is female.
    SaftOchBulle likes this.
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Covershot View Post
    That's not to say there's anything wrong with a female rival of course, but in the end she's not going to be that much different than a male one.
    But that's the point. She should be a real rival, not some joke, who is female.
    Exactly. A female character who can be taken seriously as a rival to Ash. Bianca, cute as she was, was just a flanderization of her game counterpart and could've at least been a female rival who gave Ash a challenge but was friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Johtohfiller View Post
    I think Iris should have been a rival, her personality would make more sense that way. She was way too unfriendly to Ash to be convincing as a companion.
    I think as a companion, it'd makes for a good dynamic between them (the problem was in the execution mostly). As a rival, I can see that. Maybe she'd be on a League journey to become Drayden's successor.

G50
    Night Owl G50's Avatar Bulbanews Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

A female rival that is Ash's main rival would be a nice thing to see. She could be a very serious person, but at the same time not overly aggressive like Paul, Ursula, and Burgundy. The main reason why I'd like to see it, is that it would be a major change from always having male rivals.
    matt0044 and Pokemaster97 like this.

Canadian Sweetheart Pokemaster97's Avatar Bulbanews WriterArchives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Visit Pokemaster97's Youtube Channel

While I don't see it happening, I think it'd be refreshing for Ash to have a commendable female rival to give Ash a run for his money. I'd love to see a rival much like Katie from the Hoenn Ever Grande Conference, who used several impressive strategies during battle, even going as far as switching Pokemon out more than once to maintain an advantage over him.

Quote Originally Posted by Johtohfiller View Post
    Good idea, I like it. What I think should have happened is that Trip never existed, and Iris was the main rival in his place. The way she looked down on Ash and kept calling him a kid would make her fit right into what they were going for with Trip, and it would have a whole lot more tolerable only hearing that catch phrase whenever she appeared in an episode than every single one. A dragon trainer as a rival would have been awesome, assuming she actually used more dragons than she did in the actual show.

Blog Entries

She should also have gratuitous fanservice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast