Thoughts on CoTDs in general - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on CoTDs in general

Default Re: Thoughts on CoTDs in general

This thread is about COTDs, not your personal grievances about how the Pokemon anime measures up to the standards of western animation.

Also posting videos to mock other user's posts is pretty crass and petty. Get back on topic.
    Last edited by Winterdaze; 3rd November 2013 at 07:02 PM.

someone in the dark garrison-san's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

What Winterdaze said. Also:

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    If you guys want a show with lots of interesting character development and plot, then Pokemon isn't it. Never has been, never will be.

And that's a GOOD thing how?
    Please don't mock other users' comments or opinions like that. It's neither clever nor cool.

*sigh* I'm sorry. I got very carried away but I should've known better. I'll stop now.

I will say that CoTDs like Giselle and Duplica can be pretty memorable despite their minimum appearance.

This is it. Korra's curtain call.
    My Tumblr

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Whole issue about overusing characters of the day as standard redundant pattern can be in honestly pertained to constant cast changes too having no continuity, shallow story and ton of wasted potential with unfinished characters which never get used to their full capacity.
    One of pokemon anime specialties.

COTD's as whole are not inherently bad idea by their nature. They can sometime help in bringing more excitement and upswing in Ash and co dynamics with various troubles or experiments gone wrong. Sometime help push story forward in case they are granted access to appear again in future and give us better insight in pokemon world, all kind of various careers other people pursue which aren't common to be seen on daily basis and expand on journey aspect of discovering all new places, pokemon, meet new people and cultures specific for some region or town.

However just like you can exaggerate with putting too much seasoning into dish, you can also cross the line with overused formula of constantly adding pointless one time characters which will never be seen again hurting chance of fleshing out more characters which are ones which truly matter the most(Ash and his friends), along with stealing moment of glory of saving day or resolving issue on their own. Instead of using that valuable extra time in giving less used and at times underdeveloped characters to shine on their own. Or God forbid taking some of wasted time in bringing replaced companions to give them update and more focus bringing more excitement and impact on plot.

Nothing is desireable in excessive doses.

Needless to say would it kill writers to change awfully predictable pattern with COTD's comprised mainly of "Ash meeting character, he has some problem with pokemon helping him to overcome his issues" rinse and repeat change with some more innovative and unpredictable way to use them?

Such as bringing back some of already used ones from past(like Eusine, Morrison from Hoenn league or Kathie, that girl really stumbled Ash) to add on more continuity driven and compact storyline making it feel like all regions are connected between themselves maintaining links with past sagas, thoses which played role in Ash and other lives and amount of growth he experienced there adding to more substantial story.

I personally don't see need to rely on dozen of pointless minor characters focusing more on main cast instead and exploring on various sides of their personalities, revealing new subplots from their past or dreams they are pursuing and bringing up issues of which viewers might not be aware of initially having them go through deeper more meaningful growth.
    If other anime are something to go by writers there dedicate lot of time and effort in focus being used to flesh each character properly and unfold untold things about him and his history rather than wasting it on excessive number of non important characters taking away their time to shine and get proper growth. But than again such shows usually keep characters for multiple sagas, dive more in their stories receiving sequels, explore more on characterization and interactions through new and innovative ideas, having their characters go through changes and updates which prevents audience from becoming bored of it. Which is anyhing but policy known for pokemon series.

Where only minimum of effort and work is done filling up vast majority of time in each generation on episodes from which no one from main characters or antagonist benefit, but those in between random characters which we never see ever again. At least if they intend of continuing on this pattern make them more mermorable and stand out from each other being involved in main protagonist growth rather than other way around and turn some of them into recurring cast (i thought Duplica was decent).
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 4th November 2013 at 02:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    Such as bringing back some of already used ones from past(like Eusine, Morrison from Hoenn league or Kathie, that girl really stumbled Ash) to add on more continuity driven and compact storyline making it feel like all regions are connected between themselves maintaining links with past sagas, thoses which played role in Ash and other lives and amount of growth he experienced there adding to more substantial story.
    Agreed. I would've liked it if we actually saw A.J. face Ash in the Indigo League.

My Tumblr

Follow クリスタル On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    Needless to say would it kill writers to change awfully predictable pattern with COTD's comprised mainly of "Ash meeting character, he has some problem with pokemon helping him to overcome his issues" rinse and repeat change with some more innovative and unpredictable way to use them?

(i thought Duplica was decent).
    Ah, Duplica appeared in the anime for merely two episodes. One in Kanto and another in Johto. And her appearances for both just had that CoTD pattern as you mentioned.

For those characters that appears more than once but not important to the major plot, we called them "minor characters". In the playacting POV it is just one small rank higher than the CoTD, but really, it is in fact not much of a difference. Especially those minor characters that never appear more than 3 episodes, IMO they are equivalent to the CoTD.
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこ に始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち
    MY PROFILE | AUTHOR'S PROFILE | PIXIV PROFILE

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

CoTDs make things refrshing once in a while and gives us breaks.

But like many mentioned, it is a bit tiring to see all the same guys with similar problems.

If the pokemon anime is supposed be based on the games and advertise the games at the same time... why not use NPC characters from the games for CoTDs? There are plenty of NPCs that have short yet diverse backstories that they could give the show a break once in a while and not be generic AND still advertise the games. Where was Youngster Joey? The boy who loved shorts because they were comfy and easy to wear? The Berry Master? Blend Master? The Energy Guru? The guy who always leaves on business trips? The singer from Village Bridge? The boy who learned his ABCs using Unown Seals? The boy who loves tracking down secret bases? The girl who sends love letters with her Wingull? The guy who asked you to deliver a Spearow to a friend? The Weekly Siblings?

There are just so many NPCs that could have been better used instead of generic, repetitive CoTDs. They could have had diverse plots, and advertise the games at the same time. Why they didn't do that is a mystery, but however disappointing it is, I'm sure there must be some reason they chose to refuse using whatever plot materials they could find in the games.

"There's a limit to how much you can make episodes from materials found in the games" isn't an excuse, by the way, because they didn't even use ANY, and never reached the limit at all. If they had been using NPCs as CoTDs and still ran out of ideas, I'd understand, but they didn't use them in the first place.
    Last edited by Kyriaki; 14th November 2013 at 12:13 PM.

Blog Entries

The whole principle behind CoTDs is solid enough. The characters are constantly moving from place to place, so its logical that they meet different people, and through those people they can learn different things about the Pokemon world. The large number of people they meet also helps give a sense of how big the world is.

The obvious issue is that there are only so many characters you can make before you inevitably end up recycling designs and personalities. Rather than come up with some methods of circumventing that issue, the writers just continued on with their tried and tested which is lazy yet understandable given that this is a long-arse show that needs some padding here and there. That's just the nature of this beast that isn't going to change unless the format of the show itself is changed.

A few good solutions have already been mentioned - I especially like the idea of using side characters in the games - but, for me, an important solution would be to make every CotD episode relatable to the main cast of characters in some way. They don't necessarily have to be plot relevant, but I'd rather learn a bit about a character's background, or see them develop a talent or something than watch an episode about an old lady and her Pikachu who make cakes together or a street magician and her misbehaving Chingling or whatever they're called.

I like how XY seems to be using less CoTDs so far. Then again, so did BW at first but still, who knows.

Personally, this is how it should go: HAVE CoTDs but not overly rely on them to carry the show when you have Main characters for that.

My Tumblr

Some CoTDs are just random as hell...
    and at the end of filler episodes they keep saying "hope we see each other again" and I just laugh
    Follow me (PJ) on Twitter: @ThePokemonJesus

Ash and his buddies have been entertaining me since 1998
    ALRIGHTY! Until next time...PEACE!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12