Thoughts on CoTDs in general

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Thoughts on CoTDs in general

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,855
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Thoughts on CoTDs in general

    Pros:

    1.They offer us some insight on the Pokemon World in an interesting way at times.

    2. Now and then, they have nice personalities along with their Pokemon like Katharine and her Gothita.

    Cons:

    1. They often waste time that COULD have been used to develop our main characters and maybe an overarching storyline.

    2. Their episode follow a formula that I think doesn't bear repeating since everyone here practically knows it by heart.

    I think I've made my point. How about you guys?

  2. #2
    Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sinnoh Region
    Posts
    1,426
    Blog Entries
    2
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Thoughts on CoTDs in general

    Honestly, I find them annoying, especially in the dub where they all have the exact same voices, not to mention much of the time they are goody-two-shoes type characters that have basically no personality or flaws to them that make them human, they're often boring and robotic much of the time, not to mention they're getting old and tiring at this point since the anime has been using the same formula for over 17 years, and it's beyond stale at this point...
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

    CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

  3. #3
    You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,890
    Blog Entries
    780

    Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

    Default Re: Thoughts on CoTDs in general

    I like having people require help from our heroes, especially when they're not Trainers on a Badge quest. It shows us how other people in the world work, as you said. My issue is that the anime overuses this formula way too much. I don't mind that the time is being taken away from our heroes and all, I do mind that the time's being wasted on formulaic story-telling. And honestly, I feel that they could stand to re-use COTDs a few times to make them more memorable, and make the world feel a little more close-knit.

    I know, time to talk about BW! I know, so shocking. One of the things I liked about early BW (and I'm sure this applies to other sagas; BW's just fresher in my mind) is how we got a lot of episodes focused on wild Pokemon (Cottonee, Sewaddle, Venipede), Bianca, or twists on the formula. (The Trubbish ep, where Ash turns against the teacher to help the students; the Sandile ep just used the COTDs to get to Sandile, Oshawott, and building on the Ash/Iris dynamic.)

    tl;dr: I agree with you that it's a nice, world-building (and oftentimes, character-building, for our heroes and their Pokemon) experience. It's just overused and often gets lazy.

    "Playing around?" Wrong.

  4. #4
    Registered User PockyAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    1,014
    Follow PockyAddict On Twitter Add PockyAddict on Facebook
    Follow PockyAddict on Tumblr Visit PockyAddict's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Thoughts on CoTDs in general

    Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel View Post
    Honestly, I find them annoying, especially in the dub where they all have the exact same voices, not to mention much of the time they are goody-two-shoes type characters that have basically no personality or flaws to them that make them human, they're often boring and robotic much of the time, not to mention they're getting old and tiring at this point since the anime has been using the same formula for over 17 years, and it's beyond stale at this point...
    This i agree, the worst ones are the ones that did'nt even need ash and friends to help thier dumb problems.

  5. #5
    G50
    G50 is online now
    Night Owl G50's Avatar Bulbanews Deputy Editor-in-Chief
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    4,787
    Trophies
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Thoughts on CoTDs in general

    COTDs have their good points and bad points. I think there's been too many of them in general. Some of my favorite COTDs have had good battles against Ash and his friends in an episode. When new Pokemon are introduced in-anime, COTD's have different ways of showing them off. Sometimes there's repeated ways of how a new Pokemon is introduced, though I don't find it to be too much for my taste.

    Personalities aren't always the best, and some can be a bit over the top. I like how COTDs do have some good personalities as well.


  6. #6
    Clap Clap Musashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Isshu
    Posts
    16,983
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default Re: Thoughts on CoTDs in general

    When you have a show that's be running continuously with no real breaks (except for the Porygon incident) for over 15 years, you need to stretch things out somehow. CotD are a necessary evil, otherwise things would get boring with just the same main cast all the time.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,855
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Thoughts on CoTDs in general

    Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    When you have a show that's be running continuously with no real breaks (except for the Porygon incident) for over 15 years, you need to stretch things out somehow. CotD are a necessary evil, otherwise things would get boring with just the same main cast all the time.
    Because we can't spend more time fleshing out the characters we already have so they're more interesting. Perish the thought.

  8. #8
    Clap Clap Musashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Isshu
    Posts
    16,983
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default Re: Thoughts on CoTDs in general

    Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Because we can't spend more time fleshing out the characters we already have so they're more interesting. Perish the thought.
    When DP did that a lot of people complained that there was too much "filler". I mean there's only so much you can flesh out of characters in a kids show. They're not exactly meant to be complex. Do you seriously want the writers to write nothing but plot episodes after plot episode with no breaks at all for however long the show continues? I don't think you understand we need some CotD filler stuff to take a break from things.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,855
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Thoughts on CoTDs in general

    Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Because we can't spend more time fleshing out the characters we already have so they're more interesting. Perish the thought.
    When DP did that a lot of people complained that there was too much "filler". I mean there's only so much you can flesh out of characters in a kids show. They're not exactly meant to be complex. Do you seriously want the writers to write nothing but plot episodes after plot episode with no breaks at all for however long the show continues? I don't think you understand we need some CotD filler stuff to take a break from things.
    Re: bolded part: Avatar/Korra says hello. Honestly, I feel that the character could be more developed had they be from the get-go.

    And yes, a few breaks from the plot is good every now and then but even then, they can benefit from fleshing out the main characters and getting us to really like them. Though, in my opinion, that's something the show could improve on.
    Last edited by matt0044; 14th November 2013 at 08:04 AM.

  10. #10
    Legendary Pokemon クリスタル's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Digital World
    Posts
    335
    Follow クリスタル On Twitter

    Default Re: Thoughts on CoTDs in general

    Dragonball series runs like +500 episodes without a bunch of CoTD. All the characters in the story are plot-relevant, so there is really not any "rubbish characters" that you can eliminate without influencing the plot.

    Well, I know Pokemon cannot compare to Dragonball series, where target audience demographic domain is different, the manner and the style of how story are told is also different, and even the genre of the show is different. It is just something incomparable.
    But, what I wanted to say is if other long-running show can do an excellent story without using such an enormous amount of CoTD, why Pokemon cannot? Besides, there is too few episodes that focus on Ash and his co.'s character developments. If the anime focus itself in deeper character development, then the show really don't need such large amount of useless CoTD, and they won't be so bland and plain because then the CoTD will also be used in the character development process of Ash and co.
    And also, other than the usual CoTD, they should have shown more about Gym Leaders as well. Many of the Gym Leaders of the anime don't appear anywhere outside gym battle, which somehow makes the Gym Leader also a CoTD, where it is a bit boring.

    Currently, the existence of many CoTD is a bit annoying. Especially those that Ash pump into just by accident, stating their own little problem to a stranger immediately upon knowing, Ash then poke his nose into other people's business, but really those are none of his business and don't need his help, and where Ash's existence give that CoTD trouble by letting TRio want to steal his/her Pokemon, then Ash beat TRio up and save the stolen Pokemon of the day. TV Tokyo, or I should say scriptwriter(s) of the Pokemon anime, don't you have any other way to utilize the CoTD into making a better plot?

    I don't wanted to see such CoTD so often again in XY. Just once in a blue moon is fine, but not like a "standard fixture plot" that will definitely happen between every gym battle, and not for two or more consecutive episodes.
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこ に始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち
    MY PROFILE | AUTHOR'S PROFILE | PIXIV PROFILE

  11. #11
    Registered User Muur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Bolton, England
    Posts
    479
    Follow Muur On Twitter
    Follow Muur on Tumblr Visit Muur's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Thoughts on CoTDs in general

    I agree with the 'use older COTD'. Would be interesting. Could even have old rivals and stuff, like when that fat guy had Morisson's voice, should've been Morrison visiting the Declora Islands.

  12. #12
    Clap Clap Musashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Isshu
    Posts
    16,983
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default Re: Thoughts on CoTDs in general

    Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Re: bolded part: Avatar/Korra says hello. Honestly, I feel that the character could be more developed had they be from the get-go.
    Are you seriously trying to compare Pokemon to Avatar/Korra? The two shows could not have more different purposes. Pokemon is a show that never has breaks and is made to sell toys and video games, the latter is not.

    Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    And no, a few breaks from the plot is good every now and then. Though, in my opinion, that's something the show could improve on.
    We'll have to agree to disagree there. I think long running shows need a few plot breaks now and then, especially kids shows.

    Quote Originally Posted by クリスタル View Post
    Dragonball series runs like +500 episodes without a bunch of CoTD. All the characters in the story are plot-relevant, so there is really not any "rubbish characters" that you can eliminate without influencing the plot.
    Dragonball is also based on a manga, Pokemon is not. Again, completely different types of shows.

    If you guys want a show with lots of interesting character development and plot, then Pokemon isn't it. Never has been, never will be.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,855
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Thoughts on CoTDs in general

    Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Are you seriously trying to compare Pokemon to Avatar/Korra? The two shows could not have more different purposes. Pokemon is a show that never has breaks and is made to sell toys and video games, the latter is not.
    That doesn't mean the Pokemon Anime can't or couldn't be as good. I just hate the idea of dismissing a show's potential to be good whether it was made to sell merchandise. But if you want a better comparison, just watch MLP:FiM (or, better yet, see the fandom it spawned) which was made to sell toys but the writers give a crap about storytelling.

    We'll have to agree to disagree there. I think long running shows need a few plot breaks now and then, especially kids shows.
    Actually I do. I meant to say, "yes, I think a long running show can benefit from breaks from the plot. Though said breaks should be entertaining and shouldn't squander the characters we're meant to follow."

    If you guys want a show with lots of interesting character development and plot, then Pokemon isn't it. Never has been, never will be.
    And that's a GOOD thing how?
    Last edited by Winterdaze; 3rd November 2013 at 07:02 PM.

  14. #14
    Clap Clap Musashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Isshu
    Posts
    16,983
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default Re: Thoughts on CoTDs in general

    Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    That doesn't mean the Pokemon Anime can't or couldn't be as good. I just hate the idea of dismissing a show's potential to be good whether it was made to sell merchandise. But if you want a better comparison, just watch MLP:FiM (or, better yet, see the fandom it spawned) which was made to sell toys but the writers give a crap about storytelling.
    I watch the show. But to be honest I think Pokemon has more compelling plots. FIM is much more about teaching life lessons. Not sure why you don't think the Pokemon writers care about storytelling, clearly they do unless I'm imagining all the praise XY is getting so far.

    And that's a GOOD thing how?
    I didn't say it was a good thing, it's just how Pokemon is. The show is over 15 years old, I'm not sure why you're expecting things to change.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,855
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Thoughts on CoTDs in general

    Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    I watch the show. But to be honest I think Pokemon has more compelling plots. FIM is much more about teaching life lessons. Not sure why you don't think the Pokemon writers care about storytelling, clearly they do unless I'm imagining all the praise XY is getting so far.
    Yes, so far XY is pretty decent but I'm not going to make the final yet. I was mostly referring to seasons before.

    FiM does do that (very well, I might add) but it also doesn't skip out on writing a good story each episode with most substance to it that is first appears. There's a far greater sense of progress with the characters and stories unlike with Ash's endless journey. Again, the show's fandom speaks volumes on this.

    I didn't say it was a good thing, it's just how Pokemon is. The show is over 15 years old, I'm not sure why you're expecting things to change.
    Though I'd be nice, I don't really expect it. I'm just a lone guy, giving out my two cents on this particular subject.
    Last edited by matt0044; 3rd November 2013 at 05:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •