Takeshi Shudo's Anime Novelization books - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Takeshi Shudo's Anime Novelization books

Blog Entries

Default Re: Takeshi Shudo's Anime Novelization books

I'm assuming that since Ash's dad "left so fast" he won't make a cameo or an appearance "that fast".

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    I think that the only detail from these novelizations that is canon with the anime for sure is Misty being ten. I think that there was an episode in early Kanto in the Japanese version that referred to her as a ten year old, but I'm not completely sure which one.
    I think episode 3 since Misty (in Japanese) said something like her 10 year old lifespan when she encountered Caterpie, not sure.

Blog Entries
    Follow Jeshi On Twitter
    Follow Jeshi on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeshi View Post
    Western kids are pretty much raised on sweet, naive and innocent Disney movies.
    Bambi and The Lion King would like a word with you.
    I'm aware that there are exceptions. But exceptions don't make it a rule.

As for creativity, originality, and ability to convey, all I hear are negative responses from everyone here because of his original vision ranging from 10-year-olds treated like adults to gym leaders being a terrible job.
    Well, I heard much more than that, because I read Shudo's blogs, so I could see there's more to it than just kids getting married (which isn't a point at all)... but sadly, I have no free time to translate these blogs for everyone to read :( When people get so very few, out-of-context information, it's so easy to get the wrong idea and get confused. Hopefully I'll have more time next year so I can translate a bit. Also, I should get my ordered novelisation books by then too.

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I really don't think that Japanese children grow up that differently in terms of media consumption. In fact, I'd say most of them watch movies and shows that are equally as sweet, naive, and innocent as "Disney Movies".

Which is a weird example to give considering most Disney Movies contain quite a bit of realism depicting the less happy facts of life, and that Disney has had a great influence on Anime in general. Plus there's a lot of great Western Shows out there that are aimed at kids, yet aren't afraid to show some depth, and they do it in what I would say is probably more mature manners than most Anime. Hey Arnold, a show I grew up on, was far more emotionally resonant to me than any anime I've ever watched.

Blog Entries

As for creativity, originality, and ability to convey, all I hear are negative responses from everyone here because of his original vision ranging from 10-year-olds treated like adults to gym leaders being a terrible job.
    The books and anime aren't aimed at us... of course there'd be a lot of negative responses. Especially since most people grew up on the dub.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    The books and anime aren't aimed at us... of course there'd be a lot of negative responses. Especially since most people grew up on the dub.
    But Jeshi said that Shudo didn't intend the show to be strictly for kids but for a wide audience of all ages.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    But Jeshi said that Shudo didn't intend the show to be strictly for kids but for a wide audience of all ages.
    Yeah, in Japan though.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Keep in mind that when Shudo was planning the anime, nobody could have possibly predicted at the time how popular the series would become. Remember the anime was originally only planned to last a little over a year and end with Kanto.

Back then it was planned to be a short cohesive series that probably would have ended around 100 episodes if the series didn't become a massive success.

Follow クリスタル On Twitter

I acknowledged this is quite an old thread, but I feel like want to add a post after I had discussed about this Novelization recently with one of my friend.

Unfortunately, that translation in the OP didn't talk about other important things that had also mentioned in the novel. I'll add my translation from the Wikipedia page and some reviews I'd found on the web.

Regarding on the existence of Pokemon:

So the "Mew is all the Pokemon ancestor" theory is canonically dead.
    And Pokemon is definitely eatable......
    Also it seems like Pokemon is not composed by any elements in the Periodic Table. I guess that's why Pokemon is so light in their weight......
    And that Pokemon now had +700, so all the real animal will be extinct as Pokemon keeps developing.

The reason of why Pokeball (Monster ball) was developed:

The discovery of Pokemon's ability to transfer via electronic communication:

This is IMO not making much sense together with the reason of why Pokeball developed. Not only from the scientific POV, but also from the story-writing POV and fictional-world developing POV. So I guess in the mind of Shudo Takeshi, Pokemon is not any kind of "living creature". If Pokemon is "not alive", then Shudo Takeshi's Pokemon World will make a bit of sense.
    But it then certainly contradicts how the anime portrays the Pokemon World.

Regarding on Pokemon Gym:

=============================================
    To tell the truth, I really don't consider any of these settings as canon, because it just contradicting. Especially now Pokemon had developed up to GenVI, the contradiction just become much more outstanding back at the time when there was only GenI available.

And, this novelization is just too "realistic" and "heavy-handed" for a light-hearted TV anime. I personally don't like Shudo Takeshi's originally intended Pokemon World as described in this novelization. Not just it not corresponds with my headcannon, but it loses all the fantastic feeling for a fantasy-genre world.
    Shudo Takeshi is surely unskilled and clumsy in creating a fantasy-genre world with mechanisms and rules different from our real world. When I look back to other works he did in the past, none of his past work has story plot based on a different universe from ours.
    Last edited by クリスタル; 19th November 2013 at 06:47 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこ に始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち
    MY PROFILE | AUTHOR'S PROFILE | PIXIV PROFILE

Quote Originally Posted by クリスタル View Post
    To tell the truth, I really don't consider any of these settings as canon, because it just contradicting. Especially now Pokemon had developed up to GenVI, the contradiction just become much more outstanding back at the time when there was only GenI available.

And, this novelization is just too "realistic" and "heavy-handed" for a light-hearted TV anime. I personally don't like Shudo Takeshi's originally intended Pokemon World as described in this novelization. Not just it not corresponds with my headcannon, but it loses all the fantastic feeling for a fantasy-genre world.
    Shudo Takeshi is surely unskilled and clumsy in creating a fantasy-genre world with mechanisms and rules different from our real world. When I look back to other works he did in the past, none of his past work has story plot based on a different universe from ours.
    Agreed, from what I've read about these novels I find them somewhat interesting if viewed as fanfic, but not something I'd want to be canon. They're an almost comically pessimistic take on Pokemon, bordering on dystopian. Totally different in atmosphere from the show we actually got.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Johtohfiller View Post
    Agreed, from what I've read about these novels I find them somewhat interesting if viewed as fanfic, but not something I'd want to be canon. They're an almost comically pessimistic take on Pokemon, bordering on dystopian. Totally different in atmosphere from the show we actually got.
    Or, for that matter, the atmosphere of the games the show is based on.

Yeah, I'm gonna agree that this stuff both makes little sense (you can send man-made items through a fax machine just because there's a Pokemon involved? wha) and loses a lot of the fantastical nature that I really like about the current Pokemon. Though I do kind of like the stuff about the origins of Pokemon. (Incidentally, all you'd need for Pokemon fossils to be undateable is for them to not contain any of the commonly measured unstable elements, which is bizarre but not impossible, I don't think. I take it Pokemon don't contain carbon, then... though in that case I doubt they're any good to eat.)

Also, this:

* When a Pokemon is eaten, clean its bones, wrap it with its skin, and return it back to the sea, then its soul will be restore and be back again.

Wasn't something like this in the Sinnoh myths in the games? I wonder if that was taken from the novelizations or if it was a canon element from the start that just never made its way into the games til then.
    Johtohfiller likes this.

So being a trainer or gym leader is a dead-end job that will most likely doom you to poverty (why would anyone bother?)...and yet the government thinks it's important enough to be a public service. Is the government evil and trying to ruin people's lives? Almost makes me wonder if Shudo intended some kind of conspiracy story.
    matt0044 and martianmister like this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Johtohfiller View Post
    So being a trainer or gym leader is a dead-end job that will most likely doom you to poverty (why would anyone bother?)...and yet the government thinks it's important enough to be a public service. Is the government evil and trying to ruin people's lives? Almost makes me wonder if Shudo intended some kind of conspiracy story.
    Given that the government had to step in mainly to stop people who were abusing the system for money, I'm gonna have to go with "glaring inconsistency". Unless part of government regulation was to cut the amount of money you could get out of gymleadering down to nothing but to somehow force people into it anyway (since otherwise, like you said, no one would do it), but at that point logic is bending itself over way too far in the name of some kind of grittiness that I stop caring. :P

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

I like the gym leader's job part. It sort of explains why many gym leaders have second jobs. I'd like to consider it as canon - err, headcanon.

Follow クリスタル On Twitter

In my personal opinion, the gym leader's part, especially the administrative part, it is not very logical and not reasonable.

Think about it, one public service need to be admitted and monitored by total of 11 governmental department? that is just too troublesome. Being a Gym Leader probably requires him/her to often go to the 11 governmental offices and do this and that paper works, he/she will then don't even have the time to eat.
    And for such an important public service that requires helps from total 11 departments, the Gym Leader's salary is so low that making Gym Leaders required a second job? Unreasonable!

Ah, and I forgot to describe the gym approval system in my previous post. Actually, it is a system of making a private gym to be a registered official gym, by having vote from at least 10,000 trainers. It is not described nor mentioned any sort of test or exam required to be a qualified Gym Leader, so I guess it just had no test, the gym can simply become "official" as long as there are enough trainers to support it.
    This somehow explain the Kas Gym and Yas Gym street fight in the OS, where they fight privately to determine which will become the official gym. They need supporters for votes.

This gym approval system is real not that good from political administrative POV, but it will rather invoke much more "bad" gyms oppositely. IMO, I personally prefer the approach in Pokemon Special manga, where gym and the Gym Leader requires to go through a test to prove he/she is competent to be the Gym Leader. In that case, it will eliminate many of the barbaric private duel like the Kas and Yas Gym, and limit the amount of official gym within one region. Gym Leader's job position will also be much more stable.
    And, in the Pokemon Special manga, it seems like gyms are administrated solely by one governmental institution which is called the Pokemon Association. That is one good thing, because then Gym Leaders are no need to always running up and down between each departmental offices for small issues that belongs to different governmental department.
    Last edited by クリスタル; 19th November 2013 at 05:36 AM.
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこ に始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち
    MY PROFILE | AUTHOR'S PROFILE | PIXIV PROFILE

I poke your snoot UnovaCastaway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What makes no sense to me is the thing about Gym Leaders being disqualified after four consecutive losses. Isn't their job to be defeated by trainers looking for badges?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)