Stock Animation?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Stock Animation?

  1. #1
    Music is Fun! Enzap's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NERV
    Posts
    7,419
    Blog Entries
    38

    Follow Enzap on Tumblr

    Default Stock Animation?

    It seems like as the series progresses, it seems like the animators rely more and more heavily on stock animation. Nearly every time a main Pokemon uses a move in or outside of battle, they use the stock animation. So what does this mean for the series? Does it add to the scenes or does it hinder the creativity and the entire experience of a new episode?

  2. #2
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) Kairyu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    herpderp
    Posts
    1,155

    Default Re: Stock Animation?

    In B/W they have certainly become a bit too lazy with the stock-footage for my liking. Every time Ash calls out Thunderbolt/Quick Attack/Iron Tail/Electro Ball I know with 90% reliability exactly what footage I'm going to see and that has never been the case in any previous saga.

  3. #3
    Registered User PTOldMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Coimbra, Portugal
    Posts
    246
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Stock Animation?

    And let's not forget the TR's mottos. Until DP, they rarely did it, sometimes they'd just re-use an image or something, but since DP started they repeat whole mottos, which, sometimes, was a bit disappointing, as sometimes we missed Iwane and Tamagawa's works, as they wouldn't draw a new motto.
    Please "like" this page to help Portugal! We want to have Pokémon in HD! Please "like" this.


    Also, sign this petition (you can sign by writing your Name and E-mail address on the "bolded" blanks and then clicking in "Assinar Petição")

  4. #4
    Leopard Owner Trainer Yusuf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Under the sun
    Posts
    2,860
    Blog Entries
    46

    Default Re: Stock Animation?

    True. Best Wishes has became exceptionally reliant on stock footage. This was a case in previous series too, but not on the level of Best Wishes*. At this point of series, the possibility of characters and moves appearing has started rely on "Can we stock this scene? No? Then they will never see it again". Almost all of main cast's Pokémon moves are stock animation, even most species end up reusing same scenes over and over. I addition to that, most of the main cast's commands are stock animation too. Worst offenders are probably Langley and Shooty, as they have been using same command animations since Don Battle Tournament, if not from their previous episodes.

    *Though of course there are exceptions. Such as Pochama's Whirlpool, which stayed same since he learned it. Other exceptions include Shinji and Urara's commands, however Urara's reason of doing same poses over and over again has been explained by Hikari in original dub("It seems she is trying to create special memories on people") whereas Shinji's was obvious, and him actually starting to move during battles is kind of a plot point, as it showcased that he is actually legimately struggling in the battle. There are also lots of in episode stock animations too, such as in Haruka vs. Wakana, Wakana's pose during her appeal remains the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellwarden View Post
    So....everyone is happy that a "Deux Ex Machina" is being taken down with another Deux Ex Machina....
    Quote Originally Posted by Iteru
    You know, it would be hilarious if Harley did get a sex change and became Langley.
    Youtube account, DA account, SerebiiForums account, Tinypic account, Imageshack account, Photobucket account,Smogon account, Blog, Pokémon Series Analysis Dropbox Folder, PO/PS Username: Yusuf Kaya 3.0

  5. #5
    Admin Iteru's Avatar Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Kent, England
    Posts
    10,952
    Blog Entries
    87

    Default Re: Stock Animation?

    It bugs me quite a bit as a viewer, and I often have to force myself to remember that the budget is low, and that the economic climate is shit.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Livin the college life
    Posts
    17

    Visit PrinceGray's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Stock Animation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Yusuf View Post
    True. Best Wishes has became exceptionally reliant on stock footage. This was a case in previous series too, but not on the level of Best Wishes*. At this point of series, the possibility of characters and moves appearing has started rely on "Can we stock this scene? No? Then they will never see it again". Almost all of main cast's Pokémon moves are stock animation, even most species end up reusing same scenes over and over. I addition to that, most of the main cast's commands are stock animation too. Worst offenders are probably Langley and Shooty, as they have been using same command animations since Don Battle Tournament, if not from their previous episodes.

    *Though of course there are exceptions. Such as Pochama's Whirlpool, which stayed same since he learned it. Other exceptions include Shinji and Urara's commands, however Urara's reason of doing same poses over and over again has been explained by Hikari in original dub("It seems she is trying to create special memories on people") whereas Shinji's was obvious, and him actually starting to move during battles is kind of a plot point, as it showcased that he is actually legimately struggling in the battle. There are also lots of in episode stock animations too, such as in Haruka vs. Wakana, Wakana's pose during her appeal remains the same.
    Urara? Wakana? Who the heck are they? I don't keep up with Japanese names.
    98% of fans believe that Ash's Oshawott won't evolve. If you are part of the 2% the believes in Samurott, copy and paste this into your sig and screw the haters! (Started by Me)


    Quote Originally Posted by Linkara
    I don't care that in the original Japanese version his name is Sat-o-shi or Suh-to-shi he's called Ash in the anime he's call Ash in the comic. AND I'M NOT JAPANESE!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Stock Animation?

    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceGray View Post

    Urara? Wakana? Who the heck are they? I don't keep up with Japanese names.
    Ursula and Brianna. Next time you don't know something you can look it up.


    the same i've always been:
    mafia win/lose tally . vocal covers . ffn.net
    . ao3 . tumblr

  8. #8
    Tracey's #1 fangirl Kenji-girl's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial Board
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Wouldn't you like to know :D
    Posts
    232

    Follow Kenji-girl on Tumblr

    Default Re: Stock Animation?

    Oh god.. Yeah. I hate stock animation. I mean, I would really like to have a better picture of Cilan's Pansage for his article on Bulbapedia. But it has the same pose each time with a different background.

    And there this:



    Bianca's Pignite on top and Ash's Pignite on the bottom. Really animators?

    I don't know if my memory is going or anything but I feel like they never used so much stock in the past. And Pokemon actually looked different each time they came out of the Poke Balls. Though I do remember were using stock animation created errors. Like May's Combusken's Flamethrower. They used its Fire Spin animation instead during that Deoxys special. Also the repeated error of Ash's Buizel's eye being blue each time it used Water Gun.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Stock Animation?

    While I agree that the use of stock footage has gotten a bit out of control, I think it's somewhat understandable.

    1. They release a new episode every single week, which probably doesn't leave much time to make new animations.
    2. The ratings have been down across the board, with an economy, that's probably as shit as ours.
    3. I think while the use of stock footage has gotten worse, the actual art has improve dramatically. That, and we're getting less animation errors as well. Notice as we haven't had a character have half their arm randomly disappear as they stand up or a case of two Pikachu's?

    And to be fair, Kenji-girl, they did do the exact same thing with Infernape as well.:P

  10. #10
    Crimson Fighter PhilosophyPhlare's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,179
    Blog Entries
    230

    Default Re: Stock Animation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Iteru View Post
    It bugs me quite a bit as a viewer, and I often have to force myself to remember that the budget is low, and that the economic climate is shit.
    Well when it comes to the move close ups that validation don't fly cause they could just cut that out of episode and we wouldn't miss much. In fact I think it would greatl-NAY! drastically improve the pacing.
    Nyanners is love. Nyanners is life.

  11. #11
    Admin Iteru's Avatar Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Kent, England
    Posts
    10,952
    Blog Entries
    87

    Default Re: Stock Animation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wyvernphlare View Post
    Well when it comes to the move close ups that validation don't fly cause they could just cut that out of episode and we wouldn't miss much. In fact I think it would greatl-NAY! drastically improve the pacing.
    The Anime serves as an advertisement; it is always going to attempt to show off the moves and considering how a lot of them show buildup from the user in the games (Nitro Charge for instance) its the Anime's job to convey as such. It doesn't matter if its done cheaply or not; it's got to be done.

  12. #12
    ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    10,055
    Blog Entries
    24
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

    Default Re: Stock Animation?

    I don't really mind at all. By using recycled animation, the animators are free to spend their time and money on actual new content instead of re-animating things we've already seen before. It's a win-win.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on December 18th, 2014


  13. #13
    Crimson Fighter PhilosophyPhlare's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,179
    Blog Entries
    230

    Default Re: Stock Animation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Iteru View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyvernphlare View Post
    Well when it comes to the move close ups that validation don't fly cause they could just cut that out of episode and we wouldn't miss much. In fact I think it would greatl-NAY! drastically improve the pacing.
    The Anime serves as an advertisement; it is always going to attempt to show off the moves and considering how a lot of them show buildup from the user in the games (Nitro Charge for instance) its the Anime's job to convey as such. It doesn't matter if its done cheaply or not; it's got to be done.
    And it has to be done repeatedly? Even at the pacing. And besides Nitro charge doesn't need a turn to charge and thunderbolt was quicker in previous sagas.
    Nyanners is love. Nyanners is life.

  14. #14
    Admin Iteru's Avatar Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Kent, England
    Posts
    10,952
    Blog Entries
    87

    Default Re: Stock Animation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wyvernphlare View Post
    And it has to be done repeatedly?
    Because that's what the moves do.

    Even at the pacing. And besides Nitro charge doesn't need a turn to charge and thunderbolt was quicker in previous sagas.
    Never said it needed a turn, but the user has flames going around it before they strike, and that's why the Anime shows this for the user, just like with other moves.

    So Thunderbolt was quicker, and? It still showed it being used and not coming out of mid air. I completely fail to see your point. No matter how cheaply its done the Anime will always show the moves being formed/generated/used. That's why we have the stock footage.

  15. #15
    Crimson Fighter PhilosophyPhlare's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,179
    Blog Entries
    230

    Default Re: Stock Animation?

    What is there to get? There are long close ups and they are reused unnecessary and kill the excitement of any battle in BW. If it really took that long to charge a move they would be hit before their attacks are finished charge. Which takes you right out of the experience it doesn't feel necessary at all. Sure nitro charge makes a little but there is no turn taken up so why should I get the feel that he could get hit in the time it takes to charge up the attack. That to me misrepresents the games.
    Nyanners is love. Nyanners is life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •