So...current thoughts on Serena? - Page 4
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: So...current thoughts on Serena?

Zero Suit Samus Zeroes In Team Gaara's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: So...current thoughts on Serena?

Well, as of today, in America at least, she's started talking about the fashions, so I'm not really drawn to liking her as much as I am disliking her. Which is a shame because she could have been really interesting if she took a chance with Rhyhorn racing. But of course, she just wants to act like a girl. I was happy that at the end she seemed to consider the possibility of battling and Fennekin has so far not disappointed in that aspect for a grand total of twice, so I hope she'll at least keep that in mind.

Her crush on Ash is cute and all, but if that's all her "gimmick" is, then...it'll get old fast, especially since Ash is so oblivious to it. I mean, her entire purpose of leaving home, in her own words, was to return Ash's handkerchief and to see him again. Then she wanted to impress him with her outfit and made him cookies. I can do with the shipping and find it adorable, but if it becomes too forced and the soul of Serena's existence on the show, then...that ain't good.

My opinion of her may change as we get more into the series and she discovers what she wants to do, but at this point, even her Fennekin seems more interesting than her and it never does anything.

Well, Serena won't show another sign of her crush to Ash for sometime until XY013. And even then, it's only side-note and quickly resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Gaara
    I can do with the shipping and find it adorable, but if it becomes too forced and the soul of Serena's existence on the show, then...that ain't good.
    I honestly think that's something currently being focused on more by people outside of the show rather than the writers of the XY anime itself.

The first few minutes of XY013 aside (which was only a big deal because the advertisements made it one), we haven’t seen anything on that aspect to Serena’s character since XY007 and the two Gym episodes preceding it. I find it hard to believe that aspect of the character’s really going to be elaborated on much, outside of a quick “Ash is oblivious”/“Serena jealously misunderstands a situation” joke every once in a while. Maybe it becomes a focus in a filler episode, likely the inevitable “Ash fights with the token female of the group” episode we’re guaranteed to have at least once a saga, but nothing more than that. This isn’t a show that’s ever seriously concerned itself with romance. Frankly, if there’s any one connection between Serena and another cast member I’ve felt the show has been focused on ever since then, it’s Serena and Bonnie.

Not that that changes the way Serena has been sliding dangerously into “Brock” territory insofar as she feels like a needless add-on to the group who isn’t really doing anything, of course. But then I never had any real expectations for her as a character otherwise, so that doesn't really bother me. I think she's entertaining enough when actually doing something.
    Last edited by Covershot; 2nd March 2014 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphia View Post
    B) In October, it was nnounced that in 21st March 2014 we are going to get two toys: one with Ash and Pikachu, and another with Serena's Fennekin. But now we know that the Serena nd Fennekin merchandise don't have release time

However, the Ash merchandise still has the original date of 21st March with no changes.

It's very rare that two pieces of merchandise very related are announced together and one of them gets delayed when the other isn't.

But I think that the low key of the VA and the lack of screentime of Serena are related. And that's very rare to delay a merchandise when his counterpart is still scheduled for the same date.

I think that or Serena's actitude is expected to change soon, or there could be problems with her, because I start suspecting that the marketing team don't like how Serena is treated now in the anime (specially for Fennekin). To the point that it can be replaced, even with al of the SatoSere going on.

Sorry, but that is absolutely incorrect. Something being delayed is not "very rare", whether it had a "counterpart" or not. And, they do not delay merchandise because they are unhappy with the anime or because they think a character isn't doing well. You cannot possibly be serious about this. The delay is due to something in the manufacturing process. Many other toys, specifically PitaPoke line, were due to come out this month and have been delayed until July for similar reasons. Those include a dozen different Pokemon. Do you think those were delayed because someone decided a dozen Pokemon are not being handled well in the anime?

You can speculate about voice actors and things, but the merchandise angle is simply 100% wrong. It's not how things work. That figure would have been in the works since before the anime even began, and they would not delay it for one month because Serena's not done much in the anime yet. Even if Serena was completely hated, and there was rioting in the streets, the figure would be canceled, not delayed. What would delaying it do if Serena was really that bad? Besides, she's also the girl character in X and Y, so the toy has that going for it also.

Anyway, as a merchandise expert who watches toys be delayed all the time, take my word for it. This is just a routine delay and to suggest its because someone is mad about Serena is... it's silly.

Happy in love Neo Blaze's Avatar Bulbapedia Junior AdministratorModerator
    Blog Entries

Visit Neo Blaze's Youtube Channel

Ehh, I'm very iffy on her at the moment. I don't really see her point for being in the group yet, except for Shipping purposes, which I personally don't really care for. Perhaps this will all change in the upcoming Serena-focused episode, but currently I see her more as a unnecessary sideline-character.

Blog Entries

@sunnyshore, I learned about merchandise. The delay for the Pira Poke is right now at 30th June.

About the VA, I have to wait at least 2-3 months in the same situation for a more clear answer. What I know is that Serena's VA hasn't got another role apart of a dub of a Korean series (Robocar Poli) that's ending.

I see a possible relationship between the lavk of screentime and this fact (apart that the VA hasn't had experience in main characters).

About tge summary, I have it translated that says:
    Pokevision is making a video and upload it to Internet. After seeing a video of a top Idol Elle and her Fokko, Serena peepares to make a video but...
    Last edited by Nymphia; 12th March 2014 at 08:40 AM.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GO, GO, GO, <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I want to start with XY as soon as is possible.

I have unpopular opinions: I prefer an older character returning but it isn't from the original trio. I was one of the few who liked both DP and BW. And I think that TR shouldn't leave in the anime.

Yeah, The ONLY THING she has kind of Done is just Flirt with Ash with AmourShipping other Than That, SHE HAS DONE NOTHING. But I do Like her still, but I'm Just Iffy with her.

Even though she hasn't done much I still prefer her over Iris or Cilan any day!

Crazy Automaton Lady Silverwynde's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's a bit early for me to form an actual opinion of her but I find I rather like Serena. She's not overly annoying like Iris was which is a huge positive for her. I'm also okay with her not really having a goal as of yet; were I in that world, I might not really know what to do either! But as of right now, I like her a lot more than Iris.

I ♥ my female Bisharp.
    Claimed: Golett ~ Iron Fist ~ Shadow Punch ~ Big Pearl ~ Light Clay.

Comfort ghost Bouffalant Herdier's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Bouffalant Herdier On Twitter
    Visit Bouffalant Herdier's Youtube Channel

I've not been very impressed with her at all, and for me, she's definitely the weakest aspect of the XY series thus far. She's a nice enough person, which is much appreciated after Iris, but there isn't anything about her at the moment that I find interesting.

Her crush on Ash feels completely pointless, I can't see it going anywhere, especially since she'll likely be gone from the main cast by the end of XY. I'm also not happy how ever since she joined the group, Bonnie has been more drawn towards her than Ash or even her brother Clemont. Their friendship feels really forced, like the only reason they're close is because they're both girls. I would much rather see Bonnie interact with her brother, and Serena is getting in the way of that.

Who is this git?

Super Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

I still primarily follow the dub, so I don't have a lot to go with for Serena. So far, she seems like a pretty nice character. I like that she doesn't have a goal right off the bat, she clicks well with the group dynamics as a whole and I kind of like what I've seen of her friendship with Bonnie. It's almost an instant friendship, but despite that, it doesn't feel forced like say Dawn and Iris' instant friendship. I'm not sure what to make of her crush on Ash. It seems more like a gimmick than anything else considering that the romance is guaranteed to go nowhere for various reasons. Even so, she comes off pretty much okay at the moment.

This world is merciless Pokemaster97's Avatar Bulbanews Senior WriterArchives StaffBulbapedia StaffModerator
    Blog Entries

Visit Pokemaster97's Youtube Channel

I think it's kind of interesting that she doesn't have a goal yet. It's kind of similar to going off on your own in real life. Not everyone knows what they want to do with themselves immediately and need some time to find themselves. I just hope it doesn't drag out too long though.

Follow King Fissamé On Twitter

She is interesting, it is interesting how Serena has showed more love interest to him than any other main Pokemon girl, and the love interaction between Ash's Froakie and Serena's Fennekin as well
    http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/images/signaturepics/sigpic75427_4.gif

So far she is cool which is exactly what I thought of Misty and May. I was one of strange females who never favored main females. I favored Brock and a side female and most certainly did not pair them. Daisy (Misty's eldest sister who was in as many episodes as Tracey) side character means character who has been in 3 or more episodes but never traveled with Ash so can't be side kick. Serena is interesting enough with out being annoying and I want that girls skirt.

Well maybe Serena/Fennekin will improved very soon, atleast i hope so because Serena needs more character development since she is a main character of the XY anime series.
    Last edited by evi; 1st April 2014 at 01:50 AM.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast