Show too long?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show too long?

Default Show too long?

If I'm correct the show has been running for the past 16 or 17 years and that's great and all but...I dunno the show seems a bit stale.

Ash Ketchum is still 10 yet has been on a journey for 16/17 years trying to achieve his dream (Pokémon Master) and it seems like it's like a never ending journey. Plus character development seems to be nonexistent since Ash seems to forget things he's learned in previous regions and Pikachu seems to reset back to lv 5 each new region. The writers still have fresh ideas...kinda but most episodes nowadays seems the same with formulaic plots.

I think I heard that as long as theres a continuous flow of main series Pokémon games they will continue to create an anime adaptation which is a clear signal saying that the show will never end.

An alternative could be to just end Ash's story and bring a whole new cast of characters including a new protagonist which actually sounds better.

I do indeed still enjoy watching the anime very much but all stories have to end eventually and I'm just wondering when Ash's story will end too. =)
    Last edited by PokeDot517; 31st May 2014 at 10:49 AM.

You're in lots of trouble lovandra's Avatar

Default Re: Show too long?

Yeah... they can continue the story and make Ash's son/daugther start a new journey.

Maybe one day...

That would be a good change if that happens.....then we would see that son/daughter go through the regions Ash has been through and perhaps catch Pokemon that Ash didn't catch and probably catch some of the ones he had caught before.

Unless the show decides to start with a new fresh trainer instead of that way.

Blog Entries

I'm still hoping that TPTB catch wind of and decide to go with my idea--that Ash wins a league championship and then continues his journey as the mentor to a new trainer who does the badge-collecting. That could shake things up enough to make the show interesting again. Especially when it comes to characterization. Maybe Ash won't keep getting reset anymore.
    You Might Be A Redneck If...

You think The Nutcracker is something you did off the high dive.
    You've ever smuggled food out of an all-you-can-eat buffet.
    The original color of your carpet is an unsolved mystery.
    You've had more court dates than second dates.
    The closest you've come to royalty is eating at Burger King.
    You've ever stared at a carton of orange juice because it said "concentrate."
    You think a quarterhorse is that ride in front of K-Mart.

The reason I want 2nd generation is because people who grew up with ash and early pokemon now reach age to get married and have children.

I really like idea to play pokemon games with my child and at that time, anime show Ash have his own child and start 2nd generation journey.

So maybe in next main story (around 4 years from now) or next-next (around 8 years from now).

It's too long but I still enjoy it so whatever.

Each series ends after two or three years, with each preceding series becoming essentially null and void for the current series (for the most part). As such, 'the show' isn't quite so 'too long' as one would think. :wink:

I don't think Satoshi winning a league would necessarily require the end of his story, either. There is always someone stronger than him, so even if he did start getting leagues under his belt it doesn't mean he can lose against a new, older trainer. Satoshi isn't the only person who can improve, too, after all.

Future Mrs. Ketchum SerenaKetchum's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Would love to see a reboot, but they'd need to figure out someway to still have Pikachu as the main Pokemon star because it's iconic.

Not too long, but too long without anything of note happening. Unfortunately, Ash and Pikachu seem to be stuck in a repetitive timewarp and are getting nowhere. If time elapsed during the show, and characters aged and developed, I'm sure it'd be much more interesting and have a strong following.

Super Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

I don't think that Ash winning a League would make him a Pokemon Master. Doing so would allow him to go to the Champion League to face an Elite 4 group and defeating the Champion is apparently part of becoming a Pokemon Master, but not the only part to his goal. We've seen characters win tournaments before and still go travel to train in other regions, so I imagine that it would be the same for Ash if he ever did win one.

Each series only last a few years and there are currently four completed series with the fifth series currently airing. It's not exactly one big series, but a group of different series. As for the idea of retiring Ash, they clearly aren't interested in doing that. There's too much brand recognition, for the anime at least, with Ash and Pikachu being the main stars, and Ash's child being the new star doesn't sound like it would fit within the show either. Besides that, they've had plenty of chances for replacing Ash, but they haven't and after being the main character for so many years, I think that we're well past the point of replacing Ash regardless.

Blog Entries

Visit szmty's Youtube Channel

I have the theory that Ash was supposed to become champion in DP, and that his character was either going to be put in a bus, or at least would become a supporter in BW. BW was supposed to have a new child character, in a place faraway from the other 4 Japanese-based regions. For some reason, it was decided that Ash would remain as the main character for BW, but the personality traits of the new character were already fully developed and the writers didn't wanted to throw them away, so they used them on Ash, and that's why his character had a "reset". Either is that, or his lose to Tobias heavily screwed his mind.

I don't really mind the long run of the show. Sazae-san has been on air since 1969 so...
    What I don't like is that character development has practically become futile, since the anime apparently showcases some sort of Neverland where nobody ages a single month after meeting Ash Reginald Ketchum. If the anime will keep ongoing, characters MUST be allowed to grow up in order to keep it more fluid. Some rotation between characters could help. If they really, really want to keep Mr. Ketchum, they should allow him to grow up at least a year. Back in DP, I used to have the assumption that Ash aged one year per series, and as such I thought he would be already 14 or so when he went to Unova, since his age hadn't been mentioned since the very first episode. And I'm sure a lot of people used to think the same way as me. Seriously, I personally felt that being told that Ash was STILL 10 when BW began was like a big "fuck you" from the producers. That's why I think that Ash wasn't supposed to be in BW.

Finally, the producers, directors, writers, etc. should also cater more towards the periphery demographic like they did in OS. Maybe not transforming the show into a full-blown Shonen, but at least into something that can be watched by both the young and the old.

Blog Entries

I MUCH preferred Pokemon the Origins and even that small trailer for Pokemon White/Black 2. I just really want a game based Anime with a slight twist. Not saying they should cut the current anime but it's been going on for too long and to no avail.
    Ash may have a different goal but him staying the same is just so boring, I like how Team Rocket are at the moment but I don't want them out of the anime, just to stop chasing Pikachu because nearly each episode being Team Rocket messing things up and that is REALLY annoying.

So for me either a reboot that satisfies all or just more of a focus on other Pokemon animes.

I'm actually not dissapointed in the new Kalos season.

They have good stories, nice twists, possible shippings, vibe of 'pokemon early seasons', nice characters development *except weirdly Ash, I think they just add Ash as the 'link' from season before and actually more focusing on Kalos' character and sometimes totally make fool of him. His character in Kalos swicth on-off from his early childish character to 'more mature' after B/W character.*

I just wondering if Calem will ever show up. I actually really hope there will all both main characters in the game on series and not just the female. But I know they not used to do that so I won't set my hope high.

I generally don't think the show are too long after Kalos but I felt like that in seasons between Kalos and RSE.
    Last edited by lovandra; 1st June 2014 at 11:38 AM.

I'm getting sick and tired of it!!
    Everything changed on the fateful day of May 7, 2014

3DS Friend Code: 4468-1383-6014

Pokémon Truth Tea Pourer BlackButterfree's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow BlackButterfree On Twitter Add BlackButterfree on Facebook Add BlackButterfree on MySpace
    Follow BlackButterfree on Tumblr Visit BlackButterfree's Youtube Channel

I'd like for Ash to get better and older. Make him 16, make him win a few competitions, make Pikachu NOT lose to a newborn starter. I don't mind Ash, Pikachu and the TRio as long as the TRio gets more evil and skilled (like they did in Unova) and Ash and Pikachu evolve. I mean, we've only gotten bits and pieces of Ash's history, despite the show running for twice as long as he's been alive (3rd movie gave us background, we got info from the Gary fight and the Pokéball half, and the Serena backstory).

The show needs more character development. Only time we got that was when Brock decided to become a doctor instead of a breeder.

3DS Name: Wynne - Grass: | |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast