Should trainer battles in the anime use more Pokemon?

Thread: Should trainer battles in the anime use more Pokemon?

Crimson Fighter PhilosophyPhlare's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Should trainer battles in the anime use more Pokemon?

On one hand the show has time constraints each episode must take just between 20-25 minutes and one on one adds atmosphere making it more about the Pokemon. On the other hand they are a lot of filler episodes in the anime and team construction is part of Pokemon batting and by having say an entire tournament with one on one battles you're shorting a key part of the competition some say the most important part. Another thing is while the writers have time constraints the characters don't: their journeys are about training pokemon and with the type system a one on one battle is very unbalanced , a trainer's goal is to have multiple strong pokemon not just one.

If you look at the stadium in the 4 episode tournaments in BW that seems to be a pretty big stadium for such short battles and they only did 8 of them at most per a round. Seems a little unrealistic.

Paul and Ash's first battle(which was three one on one battles) clocked in at under five and half minutes including dialogue starting at when the first pokemon selection is made and ending when the ref declared the winner. So an evenly matched regular 3 on 3 battle could theoretically happen in under nine minutes even less if they don't pokedex anything.
    Nyanners is love. Nyanners is life.

Super Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Default Re: Should trainer battles in the anime use more Pokemon?

Moved to the Anime section since the topic fits here more than in the Pokemon League section.

Blog Entries

Long battles aren't too practical for regular episodes, but for junk like tournaments, I will agree that it should involve more than one poke, or at least make it so that junk isn't taken out in one shot. The truly big battles should be the sole domain of the League unless there is a good reason for it, like for a rival.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

If it's a CoTD, I don't think it's necessary for the trainer to use a lot of pokemons. Just a few to indicate what types/kinds of pokemon the trainer favors, or which would bring out the characteristics of the trainer best.

Blog Entries

Too bad the majority of COTDs only have one pokemon. And its obvious the don battle toruneys were just the writers trying to pad out time that otherwise would have gone to contests or whatever5th equivalent.

Crimson Fighter PhilosophyPhlare's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think 3 should be the base line not ONE! I mean with one you just rehash the type advantages aren't everything dealy
    Nyanners is love. Nyanners is life.

Happy Holidays! CrackFox's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

My preference is no. I don't like the battles really. I know it's kinda weird to be a Pokemon fan and say that but I never have. Some are really enjoyable though and I have enjoyed quite a few over the years (mostly gym battles) but yeah, generally short battles is all my attention span can handle these days.

THE WAR ROOM
    ~ The home of Mafia and Non-Mafia games.
    Art tumblr

Admin Iteru's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

The battles should just be of better written quality as opposed to throwing more Pokémon in and hoping that makes them better.

Araragi-hakase Kuvira's Avatar Head Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Kuvira On Twitter
    Follow Kuvira on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Iteru View Post
    The battles should just be of better written quality as opposed to throwing more Pokémon in and hoping that makes them better.
    I agree; if anything, more Pokemon would mean less focus on the battles themselves with trying to cram so many in.

I'd rather see one or two pokemon against each other in a well written battle than 5 or 6 quick ones to fill time.
    I hear them coming for me, because the top is lonely

You could be king, but watch the queen conquer