Should Ash have his friends coach from the sidelines during leagues again?

View Poll Results: Should his friends coach him?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 22.22%
  • No

14 77.78%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Should Ash have his friends coach from the sidelines during leagues again?

Blog Entries

Default Should Ash have his friends coach from the sidelines during leagues again?

After replying to the other thread about Ash's worst league loss, it got me thinking about this topic again. I remember back in Kanto, Orange League and Johto; Ash had Brock, Misty and Tracey on the sidelines right there in the "coach booth" giving him advice during battle.

Don't get me wrong, I think him without the coaches is a good indicator of his skills improving during a particular region showing us what he learned on his own and him using it to defeat other trainers. However, counting on your friends and the power of friendship thing is something this show seems to preach in more ways than one.

Do you think that it would have made a difference in Hoenn, Sinnoh and Unova for Ash to have his friends on the sidelines helping him out during battle?

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Should Ash have his friends coach from the sidelines during leagues again?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulisthebest View Post
    After replying to the other thread about Ash's worst league loss, it got me thinking about this topic again. I remember back in Kanto, Orange League and Johto; Ash had Brock, Misty and Tracey on the sidelines right there in the "coach booth" giving him advice during battle.

Don't get me wrong, I think him without the coaches is a good indicator of his skills improving during a particular region showing us what he learned on his own and him using it to defeat other trainers. However, counting on your friends and the power of friendship thing is something this show seems to preach in more ways than one.

Do you think that it would have made a difference in Hoenn, Sinnoh and Unova for Ash to have his friends on the sidelines helping him out during battle?
    I definitely think it would've helped Ash to do better and keep faith in his abilities as a trainer more than if only slight encouragement is given.

Default Re: Should Ash have his friends coach from the sidelines during leagues again?

Depends on the coach..
    If it's a new trainer like Trip, Definitely no.

Blog Entries

In terms of friends I am referring to traveling companions like Brock, Misty, etc.

Heck even Max could be of some use if he wasn't a smart a** and potentially Iris if like Max she shut up with the smart remarks

Honestly, no. To me that would seem like a huge regression. By now he should be experienced enough to make his own decisions without outside help. It'd be ok if he was getting tidbits of advice here and there along the way, ie gym battles and what have you, but a league is where you're suppose to showcase how far you've come, everything you've learnt and what have you. He shouldn't need coaches.

But with that being said, I would have loved to stand on the sidelines during some league matched yelling instructions lol

Blog Entries

Follow Madame Pika on Tumblr

No, it always made Satoshi's wins that little bit cheaper even if he didn't really go with their advice. Really, by the league Satoshi's friends should have too much respect for him to coach.

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I rather doubt it would have made a difference during those Leagues, especially not the Sinnoh League.
    Last edited by Trainer Gabriel; 25th May 2013 at 11:44 AM.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Gabriel View Post
    I rather doubt it would have made a difference in during those Leagues, especially not the Sinnoh League.
    I think it might've helped in Unova, though. I mean, considering how Ash's battling skills, and generally his brainpower, regressed so much after the Sinnoh Saga ended. XD.

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EmotionalTensionPKMN View Post
    I think it might've helped in Unova, though. I mean, considering how Ash's battling skills, and generally his brainpower, regressed so much after the Sinnoh Saga ended. XD.
    I suppose that might be true, from an in-universe standpoint, anyway... even though we all know that the writing of any event would never change. But I know what you're saying.

Still, I do wonder if it will or does help Ash now the same as it did before.
    Last edited by Trainer Gabriel; 25th May 2013 at 11:59 AM.

Moe
    Blog Entries

The only thing Ash's friends need to do for him is the next time he's down to just Pikachu and about to drop out of the league - throw a Thunderstone.

Otherwise, by the time of the league Ash certainly shouldn't need help from the sidelines - but I'd really want to see more of Ash battling with them before the league to get ready, that's where they can really help him. Besides, when he's down in a league he just uses the magic 'you can do it' power that solves everything in battle - who needs tactics when you have encouragement?
    Yato and Kaitou Kid like this.

Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

For the love of Mike...NO! NO NO AND NO! Maybe in Kanto and Johto but with 16 years of training Ash doesnt need any side characters to coach him along. Now i would be ok if they would jeer him on from the sidelines but not in term of coaching
    Caseydia likes this.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

No. It made sense to do that with the Indigo League since that was the first League he was in and Ash was still a rookie, but at this point, he should be able to handle battling in a League without his traveling companions coaching him from the sidelines.

Why would he need anyone to coach him again? When Misty and brock did it, they did a very poor job because Ash barely took their advice, so no. Especially with Iris and Cilan being that they barely train or do much of anything between episodes as an example for him. If XY comes around, I want no one to have to say anything to Ash about training methods. In fact, I just want him to learn from his friends by watching them normally and mixing his styles with theirs. Not the other way around.

Blog Entries

Wouldn't that be cheating? I mean it is unauthorized external aid.

Blog Entries

Wow, even I didn't expect such an overwhelming amount of you going for "No." I do see where you are coming from because the league is like all of Ash's experience and skill put into his battles.

Having coaches on the side is kind of like his friends still holding his hand would be interpreted as a weakness considering no one else is shown having one in their corner.

Brock mentioned to Misty in his first league battle in Kanto that "Ash has to battle these opponents his way..." after Misty commented that using Krabby was a mistake. So, yeah even if his team was on the sidelines its not likely that he'd take ALL their advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast