Rocket-dan in contests, should they do it again?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Rocket-dan in contests, should they do it again?

Blog Entries
    Follow はるひ On Twitter Add はるひ on Facebook
    Follow はるひ on Tumblr Visit はるひ's Youtube Channel

Default Rocket-dan in contests, should they do it again?

Kono sureddo o dokoni oku ka o watashi wa shiranai.

In AG and DP, Rocket-dan would do side contests when they were trying to go after pikachu or try to beat the other team. They would do this for fame and fortune. Does anyone else feel that Rocket dan was good in contests? And should they do it again and maybe not just contests per-say but musicals?

Iikaereba, Musalina wa kaesubekideshou ka?

In other words; should Musalina return? ;p

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Default Re: Rocket-dan in contests, should they do it again?

Moved to the regular forum since the topic isn't much of a debate.

Blog Entries

Giving them something to do outside of comedic episodic victory fleshes them out a bit more as characters and gives some variety to their appearances, so yes. Doesn't necessarily have to be Contests.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If a character in Ash's group isn't doing Contests, then TR will obviously not be doing contests.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    If a character in Ash's group isn't doing Contests, then TR will obviously not be doing contests.
    That's true, I'm going to answer the question 'would I like to see it again'.

Short answer, no. I would maybe like to see contests return at some point but not as a regular thing. I've never liked Jessie's part in them really, it was interesting at first to see her so passionate about something but TR are best when they're in the background causing light chaos and crashing events. I don't really want to see them with big storylines.

Moe
    Blog Entries

How about the anime shows TR going around all of the XY region staging contests in the hope that one day Ash decides to turn up to one of them to compete and then they steal Pikachu! Foolproof.

The only negative point I have about TR doing contests is that it makes me get my hopes up about them finally just turning good, it's the way I've always wanted them written out, and the episodes where they are in that role are the most enjoyable TR episodes - because it just feels right.

Of course while I'm slightly hopeful of contests or something like them returning, I certainly wouldn't be expecting TR to suddenly be fixed by leaving Unova.
    YamiiDenryuu and Mikuri like this.

Blog Entries

Not into contests. And the constant cheating in Hoenn got to embarrassment humor heavy for my tastes I know they changed it but still remains a option for the writers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkara
    Gary reveals that he already has six pokemon. And judging by the pokemon around that area I'm guessing he has a rat a bird two bugs AND anouther bird

Blog Entries

The only way I would want to see this is as closure for Jessie. They don't even have to show the contest, just that she's happy and being herself. Bonus points if it also shows her continuing the rivalry with either May or Dawn. This is the only purpose this can serve right now, though. Contests don't even exist where they are. The islands are another matter, but I see no reason for them to do so unless it leads to the real end of TR.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Blog Entries

As long as she isn't cheating and making a joke of herself, than yes.

I liked her style in contests and how all of her first round performances were really unique. As long as she is gaining ribbons and actually taking it seriously and training, than yeah I would like to see her back in action.
    Last edited by Life; 21st April 2013 at 05:20 PM.
    claims ~ greninja ~ dark aura ~ stick ~ sail fossil ~ rest

team black

Blog Entries

Follow Zexy on Tumblr Visit Zexy's Youtube Channel

It's nice to see them compete seriously in something serious. Jessie's contests were important part of JJM's total personality.
    Yet, it has to do with the XY girl, as said before. Since Episode N makes them completely old at the end, I have no problem with that.

I got a scum result on that bush! LYNCH IT LYNCH IT LYNCH IT!

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

Since I don't want contests to ever come back, no.

Having them develop new interests outside of Team Rocket is always amusing though, so I'd welcome that.

Blog Entries

As long as she isn't cheating and making a joke of herself, than yes.
    This is what I love seeing her do, personally xD

Explains why I love Harley so much. As I said, it was nice for a while to see her passionate about something but it got old, fast. At least for me, anyway.

Bonded Forever Misty Calls Masquerain's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't think so, they need to do something fresh.
    I WOULD like to see disguised James as a rival for Ash, though, of course, it would either be too one-sided in Ash's favor, or too badly written...

They need to remove them.
    But if they were to keep them, then make James do another kind of competition. I was tired of them focusing on only Jessie all the time.

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

No thanks, Jessie's Coordinator quest was treated like a complete joke. She would never actually be made into any sort of true competitor for May or Dawn at the GF. James was pretty much a better Coordinator in his first Contest than Jessie ever was and Salvia had to give her a ribbon, all of her other Contest wins were given short montages while the writers were busy giving Ash and Dawn more screentime. It was absolutely awful at the GF where she got defeated by Dawn's two weakest Pokemon in a blink-and-you-miss-it battle. All the time she took up was completely wasted and she ended up rage quitting Contest at the end of it all. That's not to say how flanderized DP Jessie had become, with Contest showing it off well, at that point where she felt more like a joke than a lovable loser who was down on her luck. Her Contest "quest" was pretty much garbage in AG, that goes without a doubt and she was a sap Coordinator especially at the time. It's especially apparent when her appeals were more focused on showing off herself than her Pokemon, something Marion constantly commented on was her physical appeal.

I'm not sure if I want to see Contest in this show again anyway, the writers should try something new. Break from the typical formula, they did it with Contest in AG and they can do so again in XY. Try new things and I'm not interested in seeing Ash sit around and constantly comment on how pretty the next Bubble/Ice/Sparkle appeal looks. Sometimes it felt more like an excuse for Dawn to be more feminine and submissive and be put in cute dresses. They also essentially lost most essences of being a battle since the constant ambiguous collision smoke scenes were utilized a lot or the fireworks explosion scenes and no attacks actually landed. I don't remember either side getting hit much at all on the final stage of the GF for example.

I'd be more interested in seeing James do something, he's dreamed of being a strong trainer if his backstory in Kanto is anything to go by. He's also skilled at PokeRinger and he used Venusaur well in Johto.
    Last edited by Bubble Frog; 26th April 2013 at 11:21 PM.
    speedingbulletbill likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast