Thread: Puns

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Default Re: Puns

The titles were all puns, weren't they?

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

I'm surprised we're 16 posts in without a reference to...

*groan*

I'm a Biotic God. FEAR ME sonic10158's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NintendoGamer View Post
    I'm surprised we're 16 posts in without a reference to...

*groan*
    "That's not funny! You know I hate bugs and I saw one over there."

How about the name of the director of "Pokemon in Love": Cleavon Schpielbunk

Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lame as "Cowterpie" was, I'm honestly willing to pardon that because I can't think of a better alternative to a pun that was tailored for the Japanese audience. "Cow" and "bug" sound very similar in Japanese (ushi/mushi) and not even remotely similar in English. Really, the anime's had a ton of jokes and puns that were specifically tailored to the Japanese language that can rarely (if ever) be fully retained while still keeping the joke intact. Many times the dub does have a clever alternative, even if they have to rewrite the original joke to do it.

Such as Diamond Dandruff/DeeDee being used in place of Pikari. :P A lot of us wondered for years how the hell the dub would adapt that. Even if the puns aren't always stellar, I can't fault the dub writing staff for putting effort into them in situations where it's gotta be difficult. XD

Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

Blog Entries

Follow Aestivate on Tumblr Visit Aestivate's Youtube Channel

Even though "Diamond Dandruff" is a complete asspull xD
    ...They managed to half pull it off!

Some of the puns like hinoko/kinoko sadly remain in obscurity ;_; Oh Haruka <3

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shinneth View Post
    Such as Diamond Dandruff/DeeDee being used in place of Pikari. :P A lot of us wondered for years how the hell the dub would adapt that. Even if the puns aren't always stellar, I can't fault the dub writing staff for putting effort into them in situations where it's gotta be difficult. XD
    I always figured that it had to do with Dawn wetting herself in public (Pee Pee/Dee Dee, Pee/Pikari, get it?) but I suppose that wouldn't have been very appropriate. Yeah...

Blog Entries

I am not really sure if it counts, but I love how Cabernet's hair is designed to look like grapes and her vest is red like wine, to make it similiar to the ridiculous hairstyles of Sanyou City leaders. It is shame that not much of the anime characters incorporate their names to their designs like a good chuck of game NPCs(like Iris' hair looking like an iris, or Kurotsugu being tall like a palm tree, etc.), even if almost all of their names are meaningful names one way another.

As for actual puns, Baron Berubelto-Alberto thing still cracks a smile on my face.

As for dub episode titles, I still like "A Pyramiding Rage!" not because it is funny or lame, but because it isn't. It kinda sounded badass actually P:.

Edit: I also remember another awful but good pun from AG160 when Usohachi said "Uso" to Harley when he said trained this time and Harley responded that it is not a lie. It's a shame dub didn't use this like make Bonsly say "-ly" or something P:.
    Last edited by Trainer Yusuf; 20th January 2012 at 02:06 AM.
    martianmister likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellwarden View Post
    So....everyone is happy that a "Deux Ex Machina" is being taken down with another Deux Ex Machina....
    Quote Originally Posted by Iteru
    You know, it would be hilarious if Harley did get a sex change and became Langley.
    Youtube account, DA account, SerebiiForums account, Tinypic account, Imageshack account, Photobucket account,Smogon account, Blog, Pokémon Series Analysis Dropbox Folder, PO/PS Username: Yusuf Kaya 3.0

they've made puns about Romeo and Juliet TOO much in the series. They used it in Kanto, the Orange Islands, and in Hoenn, I don't know if they did in Johto or Sinnoh or Unova as I have only seen a few episodes or only one season of these eras (or in Unova's case, not seen 5 seconds of).

The puns in the Pokemon anime were pretty terrible at times. I like how all the episode titles were puns. Up until Best Wishes, that is...I mean, they're just translating the Japanese titles! That really makes me mad. Have these people completely lost their imagination?!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ayame-chan View Post
    The puns in the Pokemon anime were pretty terrible at times. I like how all the episode titles were puns. Up until Best Wishes, that is...I mean, they're just translating the Japanese titles! That really makes me mad. Have these people completely lost their imagination?!
    Um, no. They're just trying to dub anime but keeping (or somewhat keeping) most of the Japanese titles just like any other dubbing company.

Duplica from Ditto's Mysterious Mansion is a pun of Duplicate

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ayame-chan View Post
    They're still punning up some of the titles. Just not all of them. Which I think is a better idea, really, since it results in less forced puns that were created just so the episode title would be vaguely funny. Instead we have some titles that are normal, and some that're actually kinda clever.

But I came to enjoy even the worst puns offered in the episode titles in the dub!

Doing actual factual titles just seems so dull...

Blog Entries

http://www.filb.de/content/anime/pm/055/073.jpg

Am I the only one who remembers Todd's dream of being "Pokemon Photo Masker"?

To this day, I can't remember that without cringing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 073.jpg  

I cannot stand them calling him Todd in Johto. I liked what they called him in Kanto better (Snap). I know it's just a nickname, but still...
    (also, why is it that during the Johto League they called Charles Goodshow 'professor'?)

Yes, I remember that dream of pokemon photo masker!!

Top game series: Pokémon, Mass Effect, Mario, Sonic, Batman Arkham, Ace Combat, Forza, GTA, Sly Cooper, etc

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast