• 1 Post By BigDocFan
  • 1 Post By YamiiDenryuu
  • 1 Post By Araragi-hakase
  • 1 Post By BlazeMaster
  • 1 Post By Nytik
  • 1 Post By Winterdaze

Thread: Pseudo-Legendary/Legendary Pokemon too hard to beat

Default Pseudo-Legendary/Legendary Pokemon too hard to beat

Have you noticed that Legendary Pokemon in the anime are too hard to beat.

Examples:

Tobias' Latios defeated Swellow with a single Luster Purge.
    I accept Sceptile was already weak from battling Darkrai which made Sceptile's defeat understandable.

Tobias' Darkrai took a Megahorn and still remained standing, I accept that Dream Eater helped cure his health in later battles.

Drake's Dragonite has 10 moves and took 5 Pokemon to be beaten
    Tyranitar hard to beat.
    Cynthia's Garchomp as well
    Last edited by Aestivate; 8th July 2012 at 11:10 AM.
    djulienr likes this.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pseudo-Legendary/Legendary Pokemon too hard to beat

They're basically living legends. What else would you expect?
    Owain likes this.

Primordial ChaosKnight Five-Gate Omega's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I believe that it usually depends on the trainer using the specific type of pokemon. However, i believe that in terms of basic strength they to me at least, would tier like this:

1-Rare Legends:Darkrai, Latios, Heatran, etc
    2-Common Legends:Articuno,Regirock,Suicune, etc
    3-Psuedo Legends:Dragonite,Salamence,Metagross, etc

Blog Entries

I wouldn't expect pokes like this to be easy, but oddly, these are the only pokes that the anime seems to consistently make powerful, barring circumstantial instances. For pseudos, unlike the legends, I'm unsure they are an officially recognized phenomenon. The evidence would indicate that it is possible to beat them, but you have to be highly skilled to do it. The Legends vary, though. We've only seen minor legends or part of a trio be beaten. Whether or not the more powerful legends can be beaten by even the most skilled of trainers remains to be seen. They can certain be contained, even injured. Even Arceus isn't beyond it, although that was because he did not have some of his plates. I'd say that pseudos should be within the realm of a skilled trainer, and the minor legends a top trainer (elite 4 or better, as that was what the Frontier Brains supposedly were) I could be mistaken about that since DP threw around legends as if they were nothing.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Caught in a lab romance~ Araragi-hakase's Avatar Head Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Araragi-hakase On Twitter
    Follow Araragi-hakase on Tumblr

As it was already said, I think it really depends on the trainer, and even the environment.

Shirona, for example, is known for her Gaburias and how powerful it is. She's a Champion of her respective region, so of course that Pokemon is going to be absurdly powerful in comparison to others. Urara had a Gabite and even though she didn't use it for battles like Shirona does, I don't think it'd ever be as strong as Shirona's based on the circumstances in which is was raised.

And a trainer that has a legendary, let alone more than one, is, well...either very skilled and has other Pokemon that they raised to be strong enough to beat them in battle for capture, or were fortunate enough to befriend them and capture them that way. It doesn't surprise me when these Pokemon are shown to be hard to beat under the ownership of Champions or Frontier Brains, (or even in the wild) but Takuto...who knew what his deal was. Whether they legitimately battled & defeated them or befriended them, the trainer still has to have a certain amount of skill to earn the Pokemon's respect for them to battle for them.

Legendaries are very rare and pseudo legendaries are shown to be difficult to obtain because of all the training it requires for a Pokemon to reach that point, so it makes sense that they're shown as hard to beat.
    martianmister likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Highway Unicorn View Post
    As it was already said, I think it really depends on the trainer, and even the environment.

Shirona, for example, is known for her Gaburias and how powerful it is. She's a Champion of her respective region, so of course that Pokemon is going to be absurdly powerful in comparison to others. Urara had a Gabite and even though she didn't use it for battles like Shirona does, I don't think it'd ever be as strong as Shirona's based on the circumstances in which is was raised.

And a trainer that has a legendary, let alone more than one, is, well...either very skilled and has other Pokemon that they raised to be strong enough to beat them in battle for capture, or were fortunate enough to befriend them and capture them that way. It doesn't surprise me when these Pokemon are shown to be hard to beat under the ownership of Champions or Frontier Brains, (or even in the wild) but Takuto...who knew what his deal was. Whether they legitimately battled & defeated them or befriended them, the trainer still has to have a certain amount of skill to earn the Pokemon's respect for them to battle for them.

Legendaries are very rare and pseudo legendaries are shown to be difficult to obtain because of all the training it requires for a Pokemon to reach that point, so it makes sense that they're shown as hard to beat.
    Yeah, Urara's Gabite got beaten easily by Dawn's Pachirisu and Mamoswine, thats an example of a strong Pokemon with a weak trainer.
    Even Ash's Gible's power surpass that Gabite and is able to defeat Conway's Dusknoir and Shuckle.
    So, my conclusion is Legendary/Pseudo-legendary Pokemon is only strong at the hands of a strong trainer.

Blog Entries

In regards to Tobias' strength with Darkrai and Latios, i'd say he is on par with Sinnoh's Elite Four but falls a bit short on Cynthia's Level with Garchomp.

Quote Originally Posted by Five-Gate Omega View Post
    In regards to Tobias' strength with Darkrai and Latios, i'd say he is on par with Sinnoh's Elite Four but falls a bit short on Cynthia's Level with Garchomp.
    Since he won the Conference League, he got the right to challenge for the place as an Elite 4. Cynthia didn't mention him beating anyone, so it seems he still fall behind the Elite 4s.

Creator of Nathan Castle BlazeMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Legendaries are like Gods in the anime.

Legendaries like Darkrai are like Angels.

Would a snake be able to kill an Angel?

No.

Not all Tyranitar are invinsible. Remember Rico, that Poacher, was easily mauled. The fact that Ash used the same amount of Pokémon to defeat Tobias' Latios as Homika's Koffing kinda shows that they're not overpowered. Tobias and Cynthia are good trainers in their own right, and their Pokémon weren't too badly overpowered.

Lance's Dragonite was from the Original Series, and they did things differently. Remember Alakazam vs Gary's Umbreon? Remember how many moves they used? Also, Charizard, Squirtle and Tauros were both very tired and they all managed to plant one hit which set up Pikachu. He was a Champion too, and I think that it's not unfair that he should take out a few weakenned Pokémon. I say to you, remember Paul's Drapion. He took out a barely damaged Buizel and a moderately tired Staraptor, before taking a Leaf Storm and Energy Ball from Torterra and still defeating him despite Synthesis, while only hitting with Poison Fang, Pin Missile and poison damage, and going on to have a good battle with Gliscor.

Pseudo-Legendaries are not overpowered, as their trainers are also very good. Legendaries are gods, live with it.

Thanks
    Mareepy likes this.
    http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f425/hunger-games-pok%C3%A9mon-136008/

Hunger Games RPG

21 Places Left.

Officials needed

Quote Originally Posted by BlazeMaster View Post
    Quote Above
    A good example for Homika's Koffing, she is indeed a good trainer enough to make Koffing's standard up to any Pseudo-legendary Pokemons. So, IF Ash trains Pikachu in a good way, it may just OHKO Darkrai one day. (Do not expect to beat Lugia, Kyogre and those big Legendaries actually have its role in the creation of the world in the Anime, its impossible)

Blog Entries

Ah yes i didnt metion the Overgods such as Arceus,Mewtwo,etc because i know that given no trainer is destined to have them even if they are fully realized pokemon masters. They are indeed 1000x more powerful than even the strongest of lengends under a trainer's ownership,no matter how well trained they are i presume.

For Example:Mewtwo would probably be able to singlehandedly decimate all the champions and all their pokemon in a split second if he wanted to for all we know.

They aren't hard to beat. It's just that the anime makes them seem overly powered than in the games.

Besides, it's not like legendaries haven't been beaten on occasion. When a Pokemon is really well trained, it can overcome the legendary-ness. The two key examples are Charizard vs. Articuno and Pikachu vs. Regice, both in the Battle Frontier. Obviously these are two of Ash's strongest ever pokemon (if not the strongest) but that's what it takes to beat a legend. So we have a line drawn for these sorts of events.
    djulienr likes this.

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

Not all Pseudo-legendaries are portrayed as overly powerful, most of Metagross' battle performances have showed it to be nothing more special than any other Pokemon. There was also that infamously wimpy Dragonite from the Pokeringer tournament.
    On the whole their power seems proportional to the ones commanding them, more often than not they are simply owned by very powerful trainers.
    martianmister likes this.