The Pros and Cons of TPCi & Duart - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Pros and Cons of TPCi & Duart

Default Re: The Pros and Cons of TPCi & Duart

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Woods View Post
    Pros:
    Some decent voice actors, especially the returning ones.
    Allowing us to hear the japanese scores in the movies

Cons:
    Can't pronounce status, what's a stattice?
    Lack of 4kids bgm, i liked it and it fit better.
    If i'm wrong about the pronunciation thing, then i will get a personal miessage or reply from Axew.but at least they should all say "status " like 4kids did Status is not pronounced "stah-tuhs" like statue, it's "stay-tuhs" like statement. and before i get bashed for cultural stuff, i'd like you to note that i'm saying this purely for the sake of consistancy and not bias based on how i pronounce the word (i do say "stay-tuhs" like 4kids). to be honest, i didn't know what a "stats" ailment is, but i knew about a status (stay-tuhs) ailment. They also butchered the name misdreavus, (it's mis-drih-vus, with stress on the "miss" and "vuhs")
    Everyone I know pronounces it sth-tuhs like statue... -___-

Anyway I was just wondering why everyone cares so much about them not using the original music...

Cons: Voice Acting in the begging of their take over
    Some of their name changes like Kenyan should've stayed....
    Fav Ships: PalletShipping AdvancedShipping CafeMochaShipping PearlShipping ComaShipping CollideShipping RespectShipping

Blog Entries
    Add Azumarill39 on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by djulienr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian Woods View Post
    Pros:
    Some decent voice actors, especially the returning ones.
    Allowing us to hear the japanese scores in the movies

Cons:
    Can't pronounce status, what's a stattice?
    Lack of 4kids bgm, i liked it and it fit better.
    If i'm wrong about the pronunciation thing, then i will get a personal miessage or reply from Axew.but at least they should all say "status " like 4kids did Status is not pronounced "stah-tuhs" like statue, it's "stay-tuhs" like statement. and before i get bashed for cultural stuff, i'd like you to note that i'm saying this purely for the sake of consistancy and not bias based on how i pronounce the word (i do say "stay-tuhs" like 4kids). to be honest, i didn't know what a "stats" ailment is, but i knew about a status (stay-tuhs) ailment. They also butchered the name misdreavus, (it's mis-drih-vus, with stress on the "miss" and "vuhs")
    Everyone I know pronounces it sth-tuhs like statue... -___-

Anyway I was just wondering why everyone cares so much about them not using the original music...

Cons: Voice Acting in the begging of their take over
    Some of their name changes like Kenyan should've stayed....
    Personally i don't quite care about the Japanese BGM, the 4kids BGM i thought really helped to set the mood a whole lot better than the Japanese stuff, then again i've never watched the japanese stuff, and never will as i don't understand japanese and can't see to read the subs.
    And about status, i feel like i'm the only one who notices the difference in pronunciation. The reason why I want PUSA to say it as "stay-tuhs" like statement is because 4kids did, and looking at it from the point of view of a child (8-11 should not be the target audience) if they hear of a "stay-tuhs" ailment, and all the sudden the new company changes the pronunciation of status, the kid thinks to them self: "What the hell is a stats us ailment, i've heard of a status ailment." at least in Canada a few people have said that. When i do voice over for the anime i'm saying it as "stay-tuhs" and only a texan or an axew or excadrill can make me say "stah-tuhs".

I can't get used to Ash's new voice, it's so bland and boring sounding. Like a different character, I miss the old excitable, cheesy, goofy Ash.

Tracey's #1 fangirl Kenji-girl's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial Board

Follow Kenji-girl on Tumblr

Pros:
    Stays true to the Japanese script.
    Doesn't make up stuff that doesn't exist in the original. (Brock's dead mother)
    Doesn't make pointless paint edits. (painting over the Poke Ball on Ash's badge case; seriously wtfh was that?)
    Not as many/shorter season breaks.
    Speedy with dubbing the episodes. It's nice not to have to wait a year to watch them.
    Pronounces names correctly. (No RAIKUU or MISDRIVIS)
    Doesn't make stupid or major mistakes (Seviper evolved from Arbok, Alakazam is Scyther, I can go on)
    Corrects their mistakes.
    Doesn't tear out scenes from the episodes as much as 4Kids did, and even if they do they sometimes include them on DVD.

Cons:
    Bad background music and bad title music. Though I really do love that Stand Up song. She should do all the songs.

I can't complain on the voices. If you ask me both 4Kids and TPCi had their fair share of bad ones. But I will admit 4Kids started off with better acting of the main characters than TPCi did. But now ow I see their acting as equal. People are way too hard and critical of the "new" cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenji-girl View Post
    People are way too hard and critical of the "new" cast.
    How is it a "new" cast when they've done 6 seasons already, which is already a little more than half of 4kids total dubbed seasons, which was 8?

I do hate TCPI's music changes though.

Tracey's #1 fangirl Kenji-girl's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial Board

Follow Kenji-girl on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    How is it a "new" cast when they've done 6 seasons already, which is already a little more than half of 4kids total dubbed seasons, which was 8?

Notice I put new in quotes. It's what they call them, not me.

Blog Entries

Thought of another pro: Doesn't switch the BGm every 3 seconds like in the later 4kids dub (season 7-8, not including Pokemon Chronicles which they were a little better with.) What's the point in making minute long songs when you're only going to play not even a third of it? for arceus sakes, that's one of the few bad things about the 4kids dub, this coming from a 4kids dub lover for mew sakes.

Pros:
    - Moments of silence are retained (4Kids very rarely, if ever, did this).
    - More of the original JPN music, particularly in Season 14 (good job here).
    - The scripts for anyone who isn't Ash or Team Rocket (generally they are more faithful to the original JPN version for the other characters).
    - Less editing (no onigiri becoming sandwiches here or, "jelly-filled" donuts).
    - Less mistakes (still very prevalent, if you actually bother to watch the episodes. "Earth-type" attack, Minccino is not spelt "Mincinno," the Tag Battle Tournament took place in Hearthome City and not Eterna City, etc.).

Cons:
    - The current English voice actors for the main characters (I'm sorry, but they are inferior in comparison to their predecessors from the 4Kids dub VAs, and I will never be changing this opinion: don't get me wrong in that I don't dislike them, and they've definitely improved in the BW dub to a good, solid level. Sadly, they simply don't put the heart or put the sheer effort the original English dub voice actors put into it IMHO. It was just too late in the series for TPCi to change the voice actors so drastically).
    - The replacement dub music (it's just terrible in TPCi, and ruins powerful emotional moments. 4Kids wasn't great here, but their dub music was a lot more memorable).
    - The openings/intros for each season (half-assed, just plain horrible, barring a few).
    - The closings for each season (see previous line).
    - The scripts for Ash and Team Rocket suck (did Satoshi in the original JPN EVER say "This kid reminds me of me!" or "O'course!" I think not. Team Rocket also didn't have this "shining success" crap or alliterations either).
    - Replacing the JPN music again in Season 15 (at least with 4Kids we knew they were going to replace music and they were honest, whereas TPCi trolls us ALL the time w/this. If you're gonna change things, please be honest and do it immediately or not at all).
    - Their pronounciations of Pokemon names (I blame NoA more than TPCi here, but WTF is a "Rah-ta-ta," or a "Man-teen?").

Overall, the English dub is worse than when it was at 4Kids IMO. I'm very disappointed, personally, but I'll take what I can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Insanish Danish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lalalei2001 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazing Charmander View Post
    Pros:
    - Little to no errors, ala "Arbok evolves into Seviper".
    That was actually a Pokemon USA mistake, not 4Kids.
    No, that was 4Kids.
    Yep. Arbok "evolving" into Seviper was definitely 4Kids. It was in "A Fan with a Plan!" in AG.

Now, if you want a PUSA/TPCi mistake, look at the WTP in "Minccino- Neat and Tidy!" They misspelled its name as "Mincinno."

So both dubs have made mistakes, but 4Kids had made more objective errors. I will say that much in TPCi's defense on that one.

[QUOTE=Kenji-girl;4304145]

Truthfully, we're just as critical of the current VAs as you guys are of now defunct 4Kids Entertainment. Personally, I'd easily have stopped being critical of TPCi long ago, were it not for many of their fans bashing 4Kids the same way fans bash TPCi.

Now, if you like TPCi more than 4Kids, that's fine and I respect that, but to say "4Kids was crap and they always suck at everything" is when I get upset about it. That just isn't true to me. It's like if I said "TPCi is crap and they suck balls!" or something, really.

That's really why I retaliate and defend 4Kids for things I felt they've done better than TPCi. I can see there's pros and cons to both dubs, and I'm not above admitting that my preference is 4Kids on this one, and they still had several flaws. Between them and TPCi, however, I wish they were still dubbing this series. That's just my opinion, though, I'm fine with differing ones so long as we can admit both dubbers have their pros and cons. 4Kids was a decent dubber, and TPCi is a decent dubber.

Quote Originally Posted by The Catalyst View Post
    Thought of another pro: Doesn't switch the BGm every 3 seconds like in the later 4kids dub (season 7-8, not including Pokemon Chronicles which they were a little better with.) What's the point in making minute long songs when you're only going to play not even a third of it? for arceus sakes, that's one of the few bad things about the 4kids dub, this coming from a 4kids dub lover for mew sakes.
    I will admit, that was annoying. I'm also a 4Kids dub lover, but I can admit flaws like this one. Good job to DuArt on this one as well.
    Last edited by Pokémon Master Ash; 22nd January 2013 at 01:49 PM.

Blog Entries

definatly the TPCi/Duart dub needs to work on pronunciation i.e. ratata/misdreavus/mantine, i mean for Mew's sake, try to at least be consistant, will ya?
    i'm glad to see that Kerry Williams and Stan Hart returned though. we've also got some unexpected VA's showing up, i.e. kristina vee, Vic Mignogna and Jay Michael tadum, whcih i like.
    music wise, duart i think should revert back to the 4kids BGM (as unlikely as it sounds) stat, and also they should dub the two side stories episodes involving Brock and Dawn. 4kids had no problom dubbing the side stories into Pokemon Chronicles, so i suggest that TPCi do the same. and for shit sakes, don't make us beg you for that damn it, mmkay?
    [QUOTE=SonGoku;4570694]Pros:
    - The scripts for anyone who isn't Ash or Team Rocket (generally they are more faithful to the original JPN version for the other characters).
    - Less mistakes (still very prevalent, if you actually bother to watch the episodes. "Earth-type" attack, Minccino is not spelt "Mincinno," the Tag Battle Tournament took place in Hearthome City and not Eterna City, etc.).

Cons:
    - The current English voice actors/voice acting for the main characters (I'm sorry, but they are inferior to the 4Kids dub VAs: don't get me wrong in that I don't dislike them, and they've definitely improved in the BW dub to a good, solid level. They simply don't put the heart or put the sheer effort the original English dub voice actors put into it IMHO).
    - The replacement dub music (it's just terrible in TPCi, and ruins powerful emotional moments. 4Kids wasn't great here, but their dub music was a lot more memorable).
    - The openings/intros for each season (half-assed, just plain horrible, barring a few).
    - The scripts for Ash and Team Rocket suck (did Satoshi in the original JPN EVER say "This kid reminds me of me!" or "O'course!" I think not. Team Rocket also didn't have this "shining success" crap or alliterations either).
    - Replacing the JPN music again in Season 15 (at least with 4Kids we knew they were going to replace music and they were honest, whereas TPCi trolls us ALL the time w/this. If you're gonna change things, please be honest and do it immediately or not at all).
    - Their pronounciations of Pokemon names (I blame NoA more than TPCi here, but WTF is a "Rah-ta-ta," or a "Man-teen?").

Overall, the English dub is worse than when it was at 4Kids IMO. I'm very disappointed, personally, but I'll take what I can get.

Pros:
    No, that was 4Kids.
    Yep. Arbok "evolving" into Seviper was definitely 4Kids. It was in "A Fan with a Plan!" in AG.

Now, if you want a PUSA/TPCi mistake, look at the WTP in "Minccino- Neat and Tidy!" They misspelled its name as "Mincinno."

So both dubs have made mistakes, but 4Kids had made more objective errors. I will say that much in TPCi's defense on that one.

Truthfully, we're just as critical of the current VAs as you guys are of now defunct 4Kids Entertainment. Personally, I'd easily have stopped being critical of TPCi long ago, were it not for many of their fans bashing 4Kids the same way fans bash TPCi.

Now, if you like TPCi more than 4Kids, that's fine and I respect that, but to say "4Kids was crap and they always suck at everything" is when I get upset about it. That just isn't true to me. It's like if I said "TPCi is crap and they suck balls!" or something, really.

That's really why I retaliate and defend 4Kids for things I felt they've done better than TPCi. I can see there's pros and cons to both dubs, and I'm not above admitting that my preference is 4Kids on this one, and they still had several flaws. Between them and TPCi, however, I wish they were still dubbing this series. That's just my opinion, though, I'm fine with differing ones so long as we can admit both dubbers have their pros and cons. 4Kids was a decent dubber, and TPCi is a decent dubber.

I will admit, that was annoying. I'm also a 4Kids dub lover, but I can admit flaws like this one. Good job to DuArt on this one as well.
    true ture.
    personally if 4kids was still dubbing, i think that they may be a little more flexable to our suggestions on the BGM and would probibly market the series a little better if they wanted too, and they probibly would have been more willing to dub those two side stories.

[QUOTE=The Catalyst;4572012]definatly the TPCi/Duart dub needs to work on pronunciation i.e. ratata/misdreavus/mantine, i mean for Mew's sake, try to at least be consistant, will ya?
    i'm glad to see that Kerry Williams and Stan Hart returned though. we've also got some unexpected VA's showing up, i.e. kristina vee, Vic Mignogna and Jay Michael tadum, whcih i like.
    music wise, duart i think should revert back to the 4kids BGM (as unlikely as it sounds) stat, and also they should dub the two side stories episodes involving Brock and Dawn. 4kids had no problom dubbing the side stories into Pokemon Chronicles, so i suggest that TPCi do the same. and for shit sakes, don't make us beg you for that damn it, mmkay?
    Quote Originally Posted by SonGoku View Post
    Pros:

Cons:
    - The current English voice actors/voice acting for the main characters (I'm sorry, but they are inferior to the 4Kids dub VAs: don't get me wrong in that I don't dislike them, and they've definitely improved in the BW dub to a good, solid level. They simply don't put the heart or put the sheer effort the original English dub voice actors put into it IMHO).

Pros:
    No, that was 4Kids.

true ture.
    personally if 4kids was still dubbing, i think that they may be a little more flexable to our suggestions on the BGM and would probibly market the series a little better if they wanted too, and they probibly would have been more willing to dub those two side stories.
    Agreed. In general, I feel the 4Kids and TPCi hatred everywhere has gone WAY out of proportion. It's awful. I don't see why these two dubbing companies have managed to garner so much hatred in the dubbing community. They just make English dubs of children's programs for the most part. Is it really bad enough that every episode of a 4Kids show I watch has to be laden with comments below about how bad or terrible they are, and when I watch Pokemon these days someone is always saying the comments that it sucks and the voices and intros suck? It's gotten ridiculous. *sigh*

The only thing I can understand WHY dub fans were upset was One Piece, because that's not a show meant for children and is easily the worst dub that 4Kids did. But what I don't get is, it's been seven years since they lost it, and people still won't stop rambling about it. If they hate it so much, why don't they watch the FUNimation version and stop complaining already? That dub is long gone.

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=SonGoku;4572191]
    definatly the TPCi/Duart dub needs to work on pronunciation i.e. ratata/misdreavus/mantine, i mean for Mew's sake, try to at least be consistant, will ya?
    Quote Originally Posted by SonGoku View Post
    Pros:

Cons:

Pros:
    No, that was 4Kids.

true ture.
    Agreed. In general, I feel the 4Kids and TPCi hatred everywhere has gone WAY out of proportion. It's awful. I don't see why these two dubbing companies have managed to garner so much hatred in the dubbing community. They just make English dubs of children's programs for the most part. Is it really bad enough that every episode of a 4Kids show I watch has to be laden with comments below about how bad or terrible they are, and when I watch Pokemon these days someone is always saying the comments that it sucks and the voices and intros suck? It's gotten ridiculous. *sigh*

The only thing I can understand WHY dub fans were upset was One Piece, because that's not a show meant for children and is easily the worst dub that 4Kids did. But what I don't get is, it's been seven years since they lost it, and people still won't stop rambling about it. If they hate it so much, why don't they watch the FUNimation version and stop complaining already? That dub is long gone.

Thank you! yeah! you are exactly right, don't watch it if you don't like it.
    it'd be like me going to a JB concert when i don't care for him, or like me eating celery even though i hate celery.

Blog Entries

DP team rocket dub was the best IMO they just showed up too much.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    DP team rocket dub was the best IMO they just showed up too much.
    They definitely did have their funny moments: there's no denying that.

I like them in the Hippopotas episode, when they called Team Galactic a bunch of "fashion freaks," and similar moments.

In regards to the pronunciation of the names, couldn't it be possible this is the correct way to say them? Obviously Nintendo agrees since all the names TPCi is using are said correctly in the PokéDex 3D Pro too. So obviously, 4Kids was the one who had the wrong pronunciations.

Quote Originally Posted by Fennekin View Post
    In regards to the pronunciation of the names, couldn't it be possible this is the correct way to say them? Obviously Nintendo agrees since all the names TPCi is using are said correctly in the PokéDex 3D Pro too. So obviously, 4Kids was the one who had the wrong pronunciations.
    Actually, we're both wrong. I was talking to PikaMinccino on Serebii, and it turns out both 4Kids and TPCi have ended up changing their pronounciations over time. Plus, Nintendo of America's word isn't final or the end all, be all of pronounciations. TPCi used to pronounce Mantine, "Mant-EYE-n" and so did 4Kids in the earlier portions of both dubs, but in 4Kids Chronicles and now in BW it is called, "Man-teen." So neither is better or worse in actuality.
    Last edited by Pokémon Master Ash; 22nd January 2013 at 02:57 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast