The Pros and Cons of TPCi & Duart - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pros and Cons of TPCi & Duart

Default Re: The Pros and Cons of TPCi & Duart

One thing I am glad TPCI doesn't do is add shipping where there is no shipping. 4kids, for some bizarre reason, added Pokeshipping hints in eps there originally were none. I don't know if they did this because they thought it was "funny" or whatever, but they wound up leading people in the wrong direction.

Imagine if TPCI did this with Dawn or Iris? Thank god they don't.

Cons:

Voice acting. It sounds so unnatural and I can't help but cringe. Iris and Cilan's voices are the worst especially the latter. The voice actor for Ash has gotten better lately. This is the only con I can think of right now.

Blog Entries

Pros:
    -More faithful to the Japanese script.
    -Less paint edits; some of the ones they do are understandable.
    -They keep some silent moments.
    -Little-to-no Pokémon terminology mishaps.

Cons:
    -Pretty boring openings. I'm glad there's more variation among the singers but the lyrics are monotonous.
    -Unrealistic, stilted, and childish-sounding voice-acting. Eileen Stevens and Jason Griffith, for example, make Iris and Cilan speak in the same tone of voice 24/7 making them unbearable to listen to.
    -Unnecessary music replacements.
    -Battle Frontier to Unova era Team Rocket.
    -Very stupid casting choices. Leon's Beheeyem and Don George's crappy dub voices are some examples.

Pros:
    -Little to no unnecessary censorship
    -Dialogue and Script being slightly more faithful to the original than 4Kids (except Team Rocket but I'll get to that)
    -Voice acting got better each season with B&W being at least their best
    -Kept more JPN music than 4Kids' later ventures (with 10 total episodes having all of the music without adding dub music)

Cons:
    -Replacement music still exists and sticks out like a sore thumb
    -Team Rocket's dub dialogue from D&P isn't as funny as Mr. Zoppi claims it to be
    -Bland Openings that aren't exciting and engaging than the Japanese and 4Kids's Openings

Quote Originally Posted by 투 애니원 View Post
    Cons:

Voice acting. It sounds so unnatural and I can't help but cringe. Iris and Cilan's voices are the worst especially the latter. The voice actor for Ash has gotten better lately. This is the only con I can think of right now.
    100% agree with this. Is it just me, or did Ash sound better in DP than he does now? I could watch DP English episodes fine (but maybe that's because I liked Dawn's and Brock's voices), but the few BW English episodes I've watched, all the voices are unbearable for me.

Bulbapedia Administrator Force Fire's Avatar Bulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Ash's voice, or anyone's voice for that matter, getting better is a massive pro for me. But then again, it is a given: (IMO) Ash's 4kids voice, again, and some others wasn't great at the start but it slowly got better as time went on, same thing is happening here.

My con would be theme songs, not that they're bad, I feel they're too short and unenjoyable. I like Born to be a winner and Pokémon advanced because they're catchy, the first DP theme song, ugh.

Team Black

Team White

Blog Entries

pros;
    higher quality animation (though its expected as technology moves forward).
    Much less of those silly "Americanized" dub edits 4Kids did. I personally don't make a big deal out of it, but it was still kind of a waste of time :/.

cons; *shakes head. I'm really sad and disappointed by the lower standards of quality that TPCi brought several years ago.
    We all know what happened in 2006 with the voice acting change. That was a big mistake, not only because it hurt a lot of dedicated viewers, but because it paved way for lower standards in the future. Even if characters like Ash improve, its hardly justification of lower quality altogether (see below point)

In addition to the above, the new script writers weren't helping much either, which is why we have horribly monotonous dialogue now, and annoying catchphrases. In fact, failure to give further plot development/ screentime to Brock (by TPC), combined with his poorly received new voice (by TPCi), is likely why his leave wasn't as controversial as Misty's. Today, even many of the Pokemon voices often sound terrible/forced/retarded. Example; Zebstrika, Druddigon, Beartic, the list goes on.
    Its just sad.
    Our goal is to get The Pokemon Company International to return the voice actors from the dub by 4Kids. (seasons 1-8)
    If you're interested, please join us at Facebook and sign our petition!
    We're also open to considering passionate Pokemon fans as staff. Your help is valued; only together may we succeed!

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Pros:
    - Less censorship
    - Ash sounds like he's going through puberty

Cons:
    - The dialogue (needs more complex phrases, idioms, and in-depth explanations on how things work like every other anime)
    - The choice of dub music, and lack of silent BGM

Comfort ghost Bouffalant Herdier's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Bouffalant Herdier On Twitter
    Visit Bouffalant Herdier's Youtube Channel

Pros:
    - Though they had a shaky start, most of the voice cast do a fine job now.
    - Far less repetitive and annoying dub music.
    - Has a more polished feel and doesn't make me cringe as often.

Cons:
    - Many of their openings are cheesy and painful to watch.
    - Some of their dub voices make annoying characters even more irritating.

Who is this git?

I think the hokey acting has something to do with the dialogue. Not just in how it's delivered but also how it's written and phrased.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluelatios View Post
    In addition to the above, the new script writers weren't helping much either, which is why we have horribly monotonous dialogue now, and annoying catchphrases. In fact, failure to give further plot development/ screentime to Brock (by TPC), combined with his poorly received new voice (by TPCi), is likely why his leave wasn't as controversial as Misty's. Today, even many of the Pokemon voices often sound terrible/forced/retarded. Example; Zebstrika, Druddigon, Beartic, the list goes on.
    Its just sad.
    The actual writing of the show is done by the same Japanese writers over the last 10 years. The dialogue/VA is the only thing TCPI does, and from what I hear the dialogue is translated more straightforward with less puns which is why its not like 4kids. Also regarding Misty/Brock's departure, this has nothing to do with the dub whatsoever. Likewise I find it bizarre you said that Misty's was controversial whereas it almost exactly the same as Brock's now.

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When it comes to TCPI and Duart. Pros:
    -well voice acting definitely got better since Battle Frontier
    -dub is more faithful to Japanese script, which was in reality 0one of things i didnt liked about 4kids
    -animation is better(but given development of technology thats nothing surprising)

Cons:
    -lame puns and jokes(imo 4kids were funnier and better at it)
    -worse openings and dub music
    -dialogue between characters sounds unnatural not having drama, complexity and humor like it was case before(imo at least)
    -somehow i could never connect myself to new VAs like it was case with 4kids not delivering same amount of enjoyment and originality.

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post

The actual writing of the show is done by the same Japanese writers over the last 10 years. The dialogue/VA is the only thing TCPI does, and from what I hear the dialogue is translated more straightforward with less puns which is why its not like 4kids. Also regarding Misty/Brock's departure, this has nothing to do with the dub whatsoever. Likewise I find it bizarre you said that Misty's was controversial whereas it almost exactly the same as Brock's now.
    But Misty exit was definitely more controversial than Brock at end of DP. Back than no one expected character replacing with her departure causing shock and huge amount of complaining which is still fairly notable even nowadays.Probably reason why biggest demand is for her return.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 16th March 2012 at 02:37 AM.

Mugiwara senpai! <3 Adyniz's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Adyniz On Twitter

I don't have any problem with the dub because I am SO TIRED of all the SOVA drama. But I don't know when to shut up either, so... =P

Cilan is fine, could have been more "natural" or "cheerful" but I can live with it. However, Iris is way too annoying in the dub as compared to the original. She is all squeaky, whinny, arrogant.... At least she is bearable in the Japanese version.

Quote Originally Posted by adyniz View Post
    At least she is bearable in the Japanese version.
    Sadly, her catchphrase still gets to me there.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adyniz View Post
    At least she is bearable in the Japanese version.
    Sadly, her catchphrase still gets to me there.
    http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f555/do-you-think-writers-doing-enough-iris-109376/

And this is all I will say about that.

the same i've always been:
    mafia win/lose tally . vocal covers . ffn.net
    . ao3 . tumblr

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast