Visit Dralcax's Youtube Channel

Default Re: The Pros and Cons of 4kids

Pros:
    Those songs!
    Better voice acting

Cons:
    Riceballs -_-
    Censored out a ton of stuff, even a whole episode
    Changed the script a lot (To be fair, some of it was reasonable, like in The Kangaskhan Kid, but changing the plot of the first movie to a cheesy contradictory moral? No.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miles101 View Post
    3. The opening songs were badass
    THIS.

The intro music for BW in particular makes me want to pour bleach into my ears.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You have to admit, the 4kids VA's could play completely different characters with different voices. When most people were kids they had no clue that Brock and James were played by the same person, or Misty and Jessie for that matter.

Hell I've come across people who never knew that Veronica Taylor voiced May during Hoenn. This is why when people bring up Veronica Taylor, they only talk about her Ash voice and nobody elses. I think this is because a lot of people for some reason never knew she voiced May. I guess they thought that like Max's 4kids VA, they thought May was played by some new actor who came to 4kids for that season.

No wonder why the SOVA people never brought this up.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    You have to admit, the 4kids VA's could play completely different characters with different voices. When most people were kids they had no clue that Brock and James were played by the same person, or Misty and Jessie for that matter.

Hell I've come across people who never knew that Veronica Taylor voiced May during Hoenn. This is why when people bring up Veronica Taylor, they only talk about her Ash voice and nobody elses. I think this is because a lot of people for some reason never knew she voiced May. I guess they thought that like Max's 4kids VA, they thought May was played by some new actor who came to 4kids for that season.

I'm pretty sure that Veronica Taylor voicing both Ash and May did come up. Since Ash is the main character and she spent eight seasons voicing him, as opposed to the three seasons she voiced May, so she would be more well known for being the voice actress for Ash than May generally speaking.

Anyway, the major pros for me were the awesome openings and the better voice acting. The openings seemed to always get me excited for the episodes and were really fun. While I do like the TPCI cast and they have improved a lot since BF, I still prefer the 4Kids cast since I thought that there was more emotion in their performances.

The major con for me were the edits. Some of them didn't bother me too much, but the really random paint edits were just weird, especially with the Japanese food in the last couple of seasons they did.

President of everything. Headless Whoreman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Headless Whoreman on Tumblr Visit Headless Whoreman's Youtube Channel

Pros: Way better intros and voice acting.
    Cons: Edits. Also, riceballs, and the many, many episodes that were edited to hell and back.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post

I'm pretty sure that Veronica Taylor voicing both Ash and May did come up. Since Ash is the main character and she spent eight seasons voicing him, as opposed to the three seasons she voiced May, so she would be more well known for being the voice actress for Ash than May generally speaking.

Anyway, the major pros for me were the awesome openings and the better voice acting. The openings seemed to always get me excited for the episodes and were really fun. While I do like the TPCI cast and they have improved a lot since BF, I still prefer the 4Kids cast since I thought that there was more emotion in their performances.

The major con for me were the edits. Some of them didn't bother me too much, but the really random paint edits were just weird, especially with the Japanese food in the last couple of seasons they did.
    QFT. You completely nailed how I feel about the dub in general.

Blog Entries

I don't think most people knew. When SOVA started in 2006 the only time people brought up Veronica Taylor was to reprise Ash, nobody mentioned her May. Keep in mind this is also before the DP saga was announced, so we didn't even know about Dawn yet. Back then a lot of people thought May was going to continue onto DP because we didn't know they were going to keep bringing in new female leads every series, so at the time people thought May would have been around for some time yet rather than just one more season.

So then why is it whenever you hear people mention Veronica Taylor, even on places like youtube, fanfiction/fanart websites, and the like, people only mention her Ash? I think people assumed that since Max got a VA who didn't do any other major pokemon character, that May was voiced by some new female as well.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

I don't think most people knew. When SOVA started in 2006 the only time people brought up Veronica Taylor was to reprise Ash, nobody mentioned her May. Keep in mind this is also before the DP saga was announced, so we didn't even know about Dawn yet. Back then a lot of people thought May was going to continue onto DP because we didn't know they were going to keep bringing in new female leads every series, so at the time people thought May would have been around for some time yet rather than just one more season.

So then why is it whenever you hear people mention Veronica Taylor, even on places like youtube, fanfiction/fanart websites, and the like, people only mention her Ash? I think people assumed that since Max got a VA who didn't do any other major pokemon character, that May was voiced by some new female as well.
    I still remember Veronica Taylor reprising her role as May also coming up in discussions right from the start, although that was pretty much dropped after DP was announced when she wouldn't be in the cast. Some people might have assumed that May was voiced by a different actress, but I still think that most people would just be more familiar with Veronica Taylor in her role as Ash than as May just because of doing Ash longer and Ash being the main lead. It certainly wouldn't be surprising that people, who might have only watched the original series and know little, if anything, of the other series, didn't know that she also voiced May. Plus, Veronica Taylor's voice for May is similar to how she voices other young female characters, so it's pretty noticeable to me in that regard as well, although being more familiar with the 4Kids cast in some of their roles outside of Pokemon probably helps with that.

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

Way better intros for one thing. At least they are relevent to the show. Though this isn't the case with the Pokemon, anime openings in general have absolutely nothing to do with the show itself and are mostly some random pop song.

Will Rip Titles 4 Money speedingbulletbill's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow speedingbulletbill On Twitter Add speedingbulletbill on Facebook Add speedingbulletbill on Google+ Add speedingbulletbill on MySpace
    Add speedingbulletbill on Linkedin Follow speedingbulletbill on Tumblr Follow speedingbulletbill on Flickr Visit speedingbulletbill's Youtube Channel

If I can take a guess, part of the reason might be because May's replacement wasn't as crappy as Ash's. Ash's voice was most people's main concern.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stickerstaryoshi View Post
    If I can take a guess, part of the reason might be because May's replacement wasn't as crappy as Ash's. Ash's voice was most people's main concern.
    While I agree Michelle Knotz did a decent May and Jessie, I do really think a lot of people had no clue Veronica Taylor voiced May.

Whenever I watch those anime convention interviews posted on YouTube people only ask her about her Ash voice. In fact there's one where Veronica said she liked voicing May and people in the audience seemed to be surprised that she voiced the character as if they never knew.

I wonder who these people thought May was voiced by then. It obviously wasn't Lisa Ortiz so they couldn't have gotten it confused by someone else.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

I remember it being painfully obvious that Ash('s mom) and May were voiced by the same people when Pokemon Advanced first started. I even brought that up back in 2003, and I barely knew jack squat about who voiced who in the dub back then.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    I remember it being painfully obvious that Ash('s mom) and May were voiced by the same people when Pokemon Advanced first started. I even brought that up back in 2003, and I barely knew jack squat about who voiced who in the dub back then.
    You'd be surprised as to how many people didn't know that. May only sounded a bit like Delia when she was squealing or something like that, (Delia's voice tends to be high pitched and emotional), but when May was talking regularly she didn't sound too much like her.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

I thought she sounded nearly identical at first and only started differentiating her voices later on. But I guess different people hear things differently.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Will Rip Titles 4 Money speedingbulletbill's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow speedingbulletbill On Twitter Add speedingbulletbill on Facebook Add speedingbulletbill on Google+ Add speedingbulletbill on MySpace
    Add speedingbulletbill on Linkedin Follow speedingbulletbill on Tumblr Follow speedingbulletbill on Flickr Visit speedingbulletbill's Youtube Channel

Pros:
    Voice Acting (of course)
    Dialogue Edits (why should they conform to the original script anyway?)
    Effort (!)
    Humor
    Paint Edits (since I don't care about these, I just put it on "Pros")

Cons:
    Uhhh.....they gave TPCi way too much to live up to?
    Last edited by speedingbulletbill; 26th January 2013 at 11:43 PM.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast