- We get to keep the voice actors that we've grown an attachment to
- We get a lot of additional non-Jap 'shipping hints to throw around
- We all get a more whimsical, child-oriented attitude from the anime
- We have to deal with virtually all existence of Eastern culture being eliminated or butchered
- We get reputation from one of the most controversially unsound dubbing companies in the US, with awful yet stupid examples below:
That's my opinion of the 4kids dub.
The PokéSphere Forums!
Once again RICEBALL!
RICEBALL VS DONUT
I hated the way 4kids would change characters dialogue.
Giving all those "James is gay" vibes with some of his dialogue, Misty's "pet names" for Ash and Tracey, and such. To this day a lot of the misconceptions about both Misty and TR in the anime is based on the dub, and then when they watch the Japanese version its a completely different experience because their characters and dialogue are different.
There's also some really dated 90's slang in some of those early episodes.
Are you all talking about CW4Kids or the 4kids group? I can never watch Pokemon anime on the air because I don't have 4kids or something.
Aw, you're not wrong. I think you're right about the 4kids and the CW4kids, but I think they only show it on Cartoon Networks.
-For the most part, the scripts and dialogue follow the story with what's going on onscreen.
-The voice acting for the characters were believable. (Taylor, Lillis, and Stuart made their characters likable.)
-Team Rocket's dialogue, despite the changes, is actually funny without all the constant slang and alliterations
-Unnecessary paint edits and cuts
-They tend to stray away from the original script at times
-Filler characters are limited to one-two voice actors (e.g. Lisa Ortiz voicing almost every female COTD without any distinct vocal range. Not saying that she's a bad voice actress, but a little range here and there would help)
Last edited by BladeLight52; 15th April 2012 at 02:43 PM.
LOL, I always get a kick out of the "Leo Burnett and 4Kids are the devil" scene.
4Kids may have had some glaring errors (Arbok --> Seviper) but it was a good dub and I miss the VAs terribly. Pokemon just isn't the same without them.
And it's not like tPCI hasn't made errors, and for them to do it is, quite frankly, worse than 4Kids fudging up.
And while not being a part of 4Kids anymore, one thing that has REALLY bothered me in the BW anime dub is that almost all the Pokemon SOUND THE SAME, they almost all have an annoying, high pitched voice, and they sometimes don't even fit the Pokemon's body (Excadrill and Scolipede being two of the worst examples), or put it more simply, there are TWO kinds of voices for Pokemon in the anime dub, the annoying high pitched voice (which is the one used the most), and the burly deep voice, and all the voices in both kinds sound nearly identical to each other.
Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!
CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
My DA account
- The scripts for Ash and Team Rocket were believable.
- The original voice actors for the English dub were excellent.
- Team Rocket's dialogue, despite the changes, is actually funny without all the constant slang and alliterations.
- Their pronunciations of Pokemon names.
- Their replacement music was better than TPCi's.
- Their intros rocked.
- Unnecessary paint edits and cuts
- They tend to stray away from the original script at times for characters like Brock and others
- Filler characters are limited to one-two voice actors (e.g. Lisa Ortiz voicing almost every female COTD without any distinct vocal range. Not saying that she's a bad voice actress, but a little range here and there would help)
- Stupid Errors ("Jelly-Filled" Donuts, Sandwiches, Arbok --> Seviper)
I prefer it to the current TPCi dub.