Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: The Pros and Cons of 4kids

Blog Entries
    Follow Mjolnir On Twitter Add Mjolnir on Facebook
    Follow Mjolnir on Tumblr

Default Re: The Pros and Cons of 4kids

Quote Originally Posted by The Puppetmaster View Post
    If I recall correctly, someone was saying it had something to do with the show not being able to advertise the franchise as a whole while airing. I'm not sure if that makes any sense, but that's what I remember.
    There is an FCC rule prohibiting promotion of merchandise during the same show but, I don't see how that'd affect a simple pokeball design on a badge case.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    There is an FCC rule prohibiting promotion of merchandise during the same show but, I don't see how that'd affect a simple pokeball design on a badge case.
    I don't get it.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

It's a law called the Children's Television Act that went into effect in 1990. Basically, it states that you can't run an ad for merchandise for a show during the actual show itself. That's why you never see any commercials for any Pokemon products (video games, TCG sets, etc) during an episode of Pokemon. The networks have to wait until the episode finishes before they can run any Pokemon ads.

Similarly, you can't have products that exist in the real world featured in a children's TV show. In the case of the badge case (or the dolls in AG 027, for example), products that looked enough like the ones shown in the episode must have existed in the real world, so they had to be erased.

It's a pretty ridiculous law, but it *is* still in effect and networks have no choice but to follow it.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Cheers to the Freeze Luna Tiger's Avatar Bulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Follow Luna Tiger on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    Similarly, you can't have products that exist in the real world featured in a children's TV show. In the case of the badge case (or the dolls in AG 027, for example), products that looked enough like the ones shown in the episode must have existed in the real world, so they had to be erased.
    How does that work? Because I do recall watching cartoons in the early 90s with episodes that basically were in-show advertising for eventual (if not already marketed) action figures.

*off-topic, but clarity helps*
    PRIA is my haunt, 45500 is my identity,
    the black stronghold is my fortress.

Blog Entries

It's a pretty ridiculous law, but it *is* still in effect and networks have no choice but to follow it.
    Wait, so there are Badge Case toys?

Also, I don't get the law. Isn't the Pokemon Anime suppose to advertise the games?

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Primavera View Post
    How does that work? Because I do recall watching cartoons in the early 90s with episodes that basically were in-show advertising for eventual (if not already marketed) action figures.
    Those cartoons never showed the actual action figures, that's where the issue lies. You're allowed to show stuff that has action figures and toys based off it, but you're not allowed to show these actual products themselves.
    So.

Blog Entries

Hey, Dogasu. If you're reading this, can you tell us your five biggest gripes about 4kids? Just curious but you don't really have too.

Also, I wouldn't mind if TPCi took some creative liberties with the dialogue for Ash and co. like 4kids did. The JPN script can be pretty bland and 4kids could really spruce it up with their smooth dialogue (though at times they could go a bit too far and could do a less-than-good job). TPCi's translations are faithful but that's the drawback.

For example, don't have Ash repeat the last part of people's sentences and take out annoying catchphrases like Iris's.

Also, I wish that Team Rocket's dub dialogue didn't deviate too much from the JPN script. I don't mind if it's a little revision for comedy but their DP dialogue...
    Last edited by matt0044; 9th June 2011 at 11:17 AM.

Blog Entries

It's a law called the Children's Television Act that went into effect in 1990. Basically, it states that you can't run an ad for merchandise for a show during the actual show itself. That's why you never see any commercials for any Pokemon products (video games, TCG sets, etc) during an episode of Pokemon. The networks have to wait until the episode finishes before they can run any Pokemon ads.

But was a badge case EVER a Pokemon toy? And what's the reason behind this law? I just don't understand.

Blazaking's Avatar Staff ArtistModerator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Blazaking On Twitter Add Blazaking on Google+
    Follow Blazaking on Tumblr Visit Blazaking's Youtube Channel

4Kids had better quality VAs in my opinion, compared to TPCi's. The opening themes were also really awesome and far outclass any of the newer ones (Born to be a Winner, anyone?). They had nice dub music too, like the evolution theme. Always loved that one.

The obvious cons are the edits, but ehh, they never really bothered me too much.

追放されたバカ

The pro's of 4Kids

Better voice actors
    Better music
    Better opening themes
    Better dialogue - more humour
    Westernized it so kids could relate easier and have an easier time understanding, (turning Japanese things into Western equivalents rice ball to dougnut etc)
    Making me fall in love with a series that I stick with even now even though I can see it being slowly killed off in the anime by TPCI and in game by this reboot of Gen 5
    ANd I know it's not Pokemon related but how they managed to invent the entire concept of the Shadow Realm in Yugioh and make it fit in perfectly so that no one knew that actually the whole concept was just a dub edit.

Cons

A few errors or plotholes
    Not showing the Porygon episode even after they did apparently record voices for it (could have edited down the animation)
    After cutting the Dragonair/Tauros ep no explanation where Tauros came from.

I! AM NOT! A MORON! Sith Droideka's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post

But was a badge case EVER a Pokemon toy? And what's the reason behind this law? I just don't understand.
    Probably "think of the children! Spare them from this horrid advertising!" But I'm afraid I'm not enough of an expert on Congress or Pokémon toys to say.

Anyway, I think that 4Kids did best with their script changes. I mean, yes, it's not accurate to the vision of glorious Nippon, but often times it made it more interesting (or so I've heard). I do wish that they hadn't insisted on inserting blatant non-canon Pokéshipping "hints" though, like that one from the Ninetails episode.
    ALL Pokémon Are EQUAL, But SOME Pokémon Are MORE EQUAL Than Others

Oceania is at war with Eurasia Eastasia Eurasia Eastasia, and has always been at war with them!

WAR IS PEACE. FREEDOM IS SLAVERY. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH. GOD IS POWER.

Next PolySci/Econ Test: November 8, 2016; Your crash-course will begin January 2013.

Galvantula ≥ Kyurem > Mewtwo > Arceus

One thing I hated was the way 4Kids treated Kasumi. They took away all her quirks in the dub, like her catchphrases, and referring to herself as "sekai no bishoujo" and her general flirty attitude, I guess because acknowledging sex and whatnot is bad for kids in America. She was so boring in the dub, though, and her VA didn't have the same tsundere snark as her seiyuu did. Changing character personalities is a big no no for me. Also the music and pretty much everything they did I guess.

Pro? Eh, I guess they helped anime get big in the US. That's about it.
    MizuTaipu likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kirikizan View Post
    One thing I hated was the way 4Kids treated Kasumi. They took away all her quirks in the dub, like her catchphrases, and referring to herself as "sekai no bishoujo" and her general flirty attitude, I guess because acknowledging sex and whatnot is bad for kids in America. She was so boring in the dub, though, and her VA didn't have the same tsundere snark as her seiyuu did. Changing character personalities is a big no no for me. Also the music and pretty much everything they did I guess.
    She didn't seem too different between the English and JPN versions. While you have a point on the voice, I felt that the overall character was pretty much the same in both languages. Misty would, at first, scold Ash or argue with him. I'm not too sure on the flirty part, though maybe I'm wrong and 4kids really only wanted Brock to be the flirty one (I dunno).

Plus, I heard somewhere that when 4kids was making vocal songs for Pokemon, they were imitating Japanese Anime by the looks of things. Like 2.B.A Master had an image song for Team Rocket and such. Ironic, huh?

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kirikizan View Post

Pro? Eh, I guess they helped anime get big in the US. That's about it.
    I didnt noticed any drastic change between original and dub version. Misty in English was still feisty, spunky and quirky as character. Her catchphrases were different,but as far as personality goes i remember she still liked to flirt, showed interest in girly stuff showing her caring and tomboyish side.

I guess its matter of preference but i thought Misty was equally entertaining in dub and Japanese version. Her voice was little bit softer in English,but she acted basically same with English VA doing great job imo.

To matt0044: Not as much like Brock,but Misty acted flirty or giggled several times. Like with gym leaders Danny and Rudy , Dorian or Gligarman(if i recall right) from Johto, that human doctor from Kanto etc.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 24th February 2012 at 09:00 AM.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I supposed he's talking about Johto-era Misty? Rachael Lillis really softened her voice during that saga and had her talk really softly. It made her more quiet and dull compared to the first two seasons.

I dunno if it was that way in Japanese.

4kids also had the same problem with the repeitition of filler girl voices.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast