The Pros and Cons of 4kids - Page 5

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: The Pros and Cons of 4kids

Default Re: The Pros and Cons of 4kids

I liked some of the instrumental dub music 4Kids composed for the TV series. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely despise the practice of replacing the original Japanese score, but some of the pieces 4Kids made were pretty catchy.

They sucked at editing their own music into the show, though. Hearing dub cue and dub cue adds this sort of tedium to the show that isn't there in the Japanese version.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    They sucked at editing their own music into the show, though. Hearing dub cue and dub cue adds this sort of tedium to the show that isn't there in the Japanese version.
    Yeah, apparently 4kids never heard of Atmosphere.

You know, I wonder why 4kids made random visual edits. Some I could understand but changing the Poke Ball symbol on Ash's Hoenn Badge case to a rectangle is beyond me.

Cons:

Riceballs changed to donuts?

Arbok evolves into Seviper WTF? .

They censored the best episodies .
    They dont know nothing about pokemon

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EliteFourBruno View Post
    Cons:

Riceballs changed to donuts?

Arbok evolves into Seviper WTF? .

They censored the best episodies .
    They dont know nothing about pokemon
    Any pros?

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Any pros?
    Dude...the guy uses the 4chan troll face as his avatar. It's probably best not to respond.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Yeah, apparently 4kids never heard of Atmosphere.

You know, I wonder why 4kids made random visual edits. Some I could understand but changing the Poke Ball symbol on Ash's Hoenn Badge case to a rectangle is beyond me.
    If I recall correctly, someone was saying it had something to do with the show not being able to advertise the franchise as a whole while airing. I'm not sure if that makes any sense, but that's what I remember.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Puppetmaster View Post
    If I recall correctly, someone was saying it had something to do with the show not being able to advertise the franchise as a whole while airing. I'm not sure if that makes any sense, but that's what I remember.
    I... don't get it either. But I do recall that it was a Kids WB thing and other channels didn't feature this edit, I think.

Blog Entries

Follow Arc Blader on Tumblr

In regards to the Pokémon dub, I think Dogasu said it best quite some time ago: something that would go unnoticed in their One Piece dub (specifically in this instance, the rice ball/donut incident), became a huge freaking deal in the Pokémon dub. Let's face it: some of the biggest complaints about the dub are essentially meaningless in the grand scheme of things. At the end of the day, does it really matter that they thought Seviper was part of the Arbok line? Or that they referred to rice balls as a variety of things that definitely don't look like rice balls? These things, while indeed somewhat distracting, aren't nearly as condescending and inexplicable as some of the shit they tried to pull in the One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh! dubs. This, I grant, is partly due to the fact that Pokémon is a fairly tame show on both sides of the Pacific; after, all, it's not nearly as violent as something like DBZ, and it lacks the "occult" (note the sarcastic quotations) references of something like Yu-Gi-Oh!. And yes, maybe they stuck the wrong music in the wrong places, and maybe they didn't always do the best job with the script, and maybe they cut a few (admittedly unimportant) episodes, but when compared to all the good they did - keeping the storylines intact, making sure it stayed appealing to the target audience, giving it stuff like the PokéRap - it's really not that big a deal.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arc Blader View Post
    In regards to the Pokémon dub, I think Dogasu said it best quite some time ago: something that would go unnoticed in their One Piece dub (specifically in this instance, the rice ball/donut incident), became a huge freaking deal in the Pokémon dub. Let's face it: some of the biggest complaints about the dub are essentially meaningless in the grand scheme of things. At the end of the day, does it really matter that they thought Seviper was part of the Arbok line? Or that they referred to rice balls as a variety of things that definitely don't look like rice balls? These things, while indeed somewhat distracting, aren't nearly as condescending and inexplicable as some of the shit they tried to pull in the One Piece and Yu-Gi-Oh! dubs. This, I grant, is partly due to the fact that Pokémon is a fairly tame show on both sides of the Pacific; after, all, it's not nearly as violent as something like DBZ, and it lacks the "occult" (note the sarcastic quotations) references of something like Yu-Gi-Oh!. And yes, maybe they stuck the wrong music in the wrong places, and maybe they didn't always do the best job with the script, and maybe they cut a few (admittedly unimportant) episodes, but when compared to all the good they did - keeping the storylines intact, making sure it stayed appealing to the target audience, giving it stuff like the PokéRap - it's really not that big a deal.
    Couldn't agree more.

Pros
    Voice acting and casting is improving.
    Dialogue can be cheesy but funny
    Music is not bad most of the time.
    They are getting better at avoiding plot holes.

Cons
    Random censors and edits
    Trainer's choice was to easy
    The new who's that pokemon. Do they really think we are this stupid?
    Cutting some episodes out.
    They don't do their research in several occasions.

I was adverse to the change at first but I feel like 4kids is doing a great job at learning from past mistakes, which is something FUNIMATION had to do before it started getting Dragon Ball right.. so I'll say the best thing about them is that they are actually learning and listening to the fans.

"Alerting all VOC@LOIDs." hopeandjoy's Avatar
    Blog Entries

But 4kids doesn't dub the series anymore. TPCI does.

Blog Entries

Pro: They gave us a dub of a long-running show and I became a fan.

Everything else is so subjective, I'm kinda afraid to say any of it.

Blog Entries

I don't get the music changes. Why waste extra money on your own unless music when you could always use the JPN music that's always been available? And if you have something better in mind with the music, make sure it's at least on par with Shinji Miyazaki's. Then again, that last part's subjective.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Pro: They made hundreds of thousands of people love the show, with many of those people still loving the show, despite the fact 4Kids stopped doing it.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast