The Pros and Cons of 4kids - Page 3

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: The Pros and Cons of 4kids

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Pros and Cons of 4kids

Quote Originally Posted by Ashfangirl22 View Post
    Pros
    -Translating Japanese to English dub, Cartoon Network seems to be doing a better job with that.
    TAJ Productions and now DuArt
    Cartoon Network Just Buy's It
    I'm not here
    This isn't happening
    I'm not here

This Space For Rent DynoStretch's Avatar

Pros
    -Catchy theme songs... most of em anyway.
    -Awesome voice casting.
    -Giva Dam in the Diglett episode.

And...

Um...

*runs*

Coooooooooooooon!!!
    -Almost complete kibosh of all things Japanese.
    -Stupid and pointless music changes.
    -Removing enjoyable and dramatic scenes like Misty <female dog>-slapping Ash in the first two episodes.
    -Omitting entire episodes because of dodgy material. Despite the fact that shows like Pinky and the Brain make those dodgy episodes look like Tellitubbies by comparison.
    -Pokerap.
    -Stupid translating that shows they did no research on the subject matter.
    -Pokerap.
    -They're the devil. James himself said so.
    -The effing Pokerap that make me want to stab my ear drums with a Q-Tip.
    -The whole fact that the success of translating this show lead to them translating even more anime and butchering it as well.
    The White Supremacy Alliance

- Shogun - Watt - Dharuma - Ectoplasm - Ragnorok - Balrog -

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Puppetmaster View Post
    • Their music could be overbearing at times.
    Apparantly, 4kids never learned the art of Atmosphere. They thought that kids need BGM in their TV shows at all times or they'll get bored and stop watching.

Gangsta's Paradise Froakie's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Froakie on Tumblr

I was on skype yesterday with a few of my friends from some other website (not pokemon) and I was playing the christmas bash/other extra songs 4ids had made through my computer. Apart from 'under the mistletoe' those songs were pretty awesome.

Blog Entries

Pros: The voice acting was near perfect.
    The openings were well done.
    The dialogue was funny.
    Con: The first move (would it have really been that hard to directly tanslate the dialogue?)
    Rice balls (I am under the impression that giving the riceballs random names became an inside joke to the translators).
    The censoring
    The fact that 4kids obviously knew little about pokemon.
    matt0044 likes this.

Blog Entries

Follow Jaden on Tumblr Visit Jaden's Youtube Channel

Pros: Good voices, some of the music was good, good dialogue.
    Cons: The constant errors. They seriously need to play the games.
    matt0044 and Berrenta like this.

The PokéRap was pretty awful, admittedly.

In terms of Episode 18, it WAS really out of context from the rest of them, and it didn't help the fact that Moe (the restaurant owner guy) was far more creepy in the original version.

Legend of Dratini? Yeah, that should've been aired.

Load of Belloni
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PS3D View Post
    In terms of Episode 18, it WAS really out of context from the rest of them, and it didn't help the fact that Moe (the restaurant owner guy) was far more creepy in the original version.
    Seriously? I thought that scene came across as even more disturbing in the dub.
    "You remind me of my grand-daughter" he says, wide eyed and with a bead of drool hanging from his mouth. Ughh :S

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PS3D View Post
    Legend of Dratini? Yeah, that should've been aired.
    Yeah, if you want soccer moms to bitch up a storm because of the fact that it contained guns and gunfire.

And honestly, is the whole Tarous Plothole that bad? Ash barely used them in future episodes and even less after Johto. Can't we assume that Ash caught them off-screen?

It's Fishing Time~ JennaJayfeather's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pros:
    + Excellent voice acting
    + Standable dub music (back then though I didn't watch the JP music, but the music in 4kids never bothered me like TPCi/PUSA's did)
    + Opening themes
    + Comical dialogue

Cons:

- Random edits
    - Not accurately following the JP version (again I wasn't aware of this until I looked into it)

OSHAWHAT?

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Yeah, if you want soccer moms to bitch up a storm because of the fact that it contained guns and gunfire.

And honestly, is the whole Tarous Plothole that bad? Ash barely used them in future episodes and even less after Johto. Can't we assume that Ash caught them off-screen?
    We can, but considering we never see Ash catch a species of Pokemon offscreen, I'd say it's still strange (I mean, in the Japanese version most of the Tauros Ash caught were offscreen, but still)...

When I was a kid and I first saw that episode where Ash had a flock of Tauros, I wondered if it was that flock from "The Flame Pokemon-athon", although he was stopped from catching them. It's not something that moves the show greatly, but still... since we usually know how Ash gets his Pokemon, it's... weird how we didn't see him get the Tauros when we first saw that he had the Tauros. (Then again, that applies to James's Weepinbell...)

Not sure how easily 4Kids could've edited the episode to make it not seem controversial to a mass audience though.

EDIT: Rice ball's a con for me too, with 4Kids. Although that whole situation was pretty entertaining, imo.
    Last edited by Rex Kamex; 25th April 2011 at 10:02 PM.
    matt0044 likes this.
    Seasons =/= Regions

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Kamex View Post
    We can, but considering we never see Ash catch a species of Pokemon offscreen, I'd say it's still strange (I mean, in the Japanese version most of the Tauros Ash caught were offscreen, but still)...

When I was a kid and I first saw that episode where Ash had a flock of Tauros, I wondered if it was that flock from "The Flame Pokemon-athon", although he was stopped from catching them. It's not something that moves the show greatly, but still... since we usually know how Ash gets his Pokemon, it's... weird how we didn't see him get the Tauros when we first saw that he had the Tauros. (Then again, that applies to James's Weepinbell...)
    Still, Tauros isn't one of Ash's regulars so it's not that big of a deal to me. So long as it's not a gaping plothole, I'm fine.

Blog Entries

When I was a kid and I first saw that episode where Ash had a flock of Tauros, I wondered if it was that flock from "The Flame Pokemon-athon", although he was stopped from catching them.
    I thought so too. Since that was the only time we see a herd of Tauros and that Laramie (that was her name right?) could've just sent them over as a gift.
    New Track: Going Up

Winner of the Most Creative Host, Fair Hosting & Best Mafia Series Awards for the War Room Awards 2012.

Not sure how easily 4Kids could've edited the episode to make it not seem controversial to a mass audience though.

EDIT: Rice ball's a con for me too, with 4Kids. Although that whole situation was pretty entertaining, imo.
    To edit that episode would basically mean cutting it to the point where it wouldn't even flow together as a story. Couple that with the costs of doing so and you can easily see why they didn't dub it.

Let's also take into account that if this aired exactly as is and some sue happy parents saw it as a way to make a quick buck, then this would have been even more damaging to the Pokemon franchise which was just fresh off the controversy about the Porygon episode.

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charmander4 View Post
    To edit that episode would basically mean cutting it to the point where it wouldn't even flow together as a story. Couple that with the costs of doing so and you can easily see why they didn't dub it.
    Well, if they had the budget then that they did later on, they could have changed the gun into something else. Heck, even a laser gun would have been doable.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast