The Pros and Cons of 4kids - Page 2

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: The Pros and Cons of 4kids

Yes, I am THAT gli. :P Gligar13's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Pros and Cons of 4kids

Pros: Voice acting, Awesome theme songs.
    Cons: Canned dub background music, paint edits, banned episodes, arbok evolving into seviper, and SANDWITCHES DOWN HILLS!

(I don't like TPCi either, though)
    dA::YT::furaffinity::Yes, I DID claim Gligar.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ivantuga2 View Post
    I respect your opinion, and 4Kids did indeed have a lot of good points that stand out comparing to today (dialogue and openings, like it was already said), but there were more bad points than those you pointed out.
    That's a matter of the individuals opinion. Something I consider to be a good thing, you or other people might consider it a bad thing. For instance, a lot of people complain about the amount of dub added PokeShipping hints. I approved of it because it added a another level of appreciation to the show for me.

I'mma just gonna quote what I said here.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamato-san View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    If 4kids hadn't dubbed it, someone else would've. Nintendo obviously wanted the series out on the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by FANG-TAN View Post
    People are under the impression that we owe something to 4Kids. ANY dubbing company could have picked up the rights to dubbing and do it better than 4Kids, while still retaining its popularity on the market.

I mean, who wouldn't jump at the chance to dub an anime based on one of Nintendo's biggest cash-cows in Japan? If 4Kids didn't pick it up, someone else probably would have.
    ^this[/thread]

Seriously, we don't owe 4kids a god damn thing. What's sadder is that I've seen people proclaim that they're responsible for the rising popularity of anime in general. Bullshit! Anime became more popular in America at the turn of the century due to a variety of factors that happened to play out all at the same time: usage of the internet spread and allowed people to become more informed about niche hobbies, plus Toonami picked up DBZ and Sailor Moon and did a helluva lot better job promoting them than the local stations that used to play them. I won't deny that the Pokemon boom played a role as well (especially since that's what first got me into anime), however, that should be attributed to Nintendo's marketing more than anything (my initial appeal for the anime was just for the novelty of a show based off of a game, IOW I viewed Pokemon no differently from the Super Mario Bros. Super Show and Sonic SatAM back in the day). 4kids just got lucky with being tasked to localize the anime, and nothing more.

Yup, classes again. I'm gonna be at this for a while.

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Poke'Aussie View Post
    not the advanced theme LOL plus battle frontier was the best hoenn theme :F done by tcpi
    Opinion :P

Unbeatable can't be beat.

Anyway, aside from the openings, TCPi is better.

I only liked the movie versions of the opening themes. :/ The ones from the actual show are annoying when I listen to them today, nostalgic memories be damned. The music was bland, too, as others have said.

Giving Ash the worst last name ever. I like the name "Ash". But "Ketchum" as a last name?! Seriously? Why couldn't they find another 3-syllable name to use?

And the adding of Misty/Ash "hints". I despise that pairing as much as I despise Misty.

On that note, voices. D8; Uh, the voice-acting-ban is gone, right? I can't find the thing that said so... But what the heck! A lot of their voices were annoying to listen to! It's one of the reasons why I can't stand Misty is her darn voice! Even her Japanese voice is annoying to me. Ugh.
    Meowth was the only one done right, man. RIP to a legend...

One more thing. Jelly filled donuts. ._. For years I called rice-balls donuts every time I saw them in Melee. I felt so stupid when I learned those are NOT donuts at all! Don't believe everything TV tells you, kids! OTL

Now...Pros of 4Kids...uh...well like I said earlier, Maddie Blaustein provided the best voice for Meowth. That was all I liked of the 4Kids cast.
    Signature is a WIP for the moment.
    For now, I have claimed: Mewtwo, Member's Card, Wide Lens, Honey Gather, and Psystrike.

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    Brock was replaced because of their stupid concerns regarding racial stereotyping.
    That was later revealed to have nothing to do with 4Kids.

Anyway, pros and cons:
    Pros:
    -I love their cast! They really stand out as the iconic voices to me, not because they were first but because they really suited the characters. Heck, can you imagine Giovanni in ANY continuity without him mentally sounding like Ted Lewis to you?
    -The music. While I really don't understand the idea of "dub music" because why in the world would music not be included in the package deal, but they did some awesome, AWESOME songs and some nice insert music.
    -Team Rocket. All of them. Everything about them. Not just better than TCPI, but better than in Japanese.

Cons:
    -Seriously, what was with the whole taking out Japanese culture stuff? Wasn't one of the points to be internationally-influenced? And other dubbing companies do it too. Boggles the mind. Maybe it's just living in Oregon, but when you can buy onigiri at the discount grocery store, it no longer strikes you as excessively foreign.
    -When they got overly edit-happy, which was bizarre because they never USED to be. I'm not sure what changed, but it was the beginning of the end of their quality products.

That said, no matter what the quality of their products was, I think a lot of people are forgetting that the real reason for their lawsuit/bankrupcy has to do with their business practices rather than what they would put on the air.

Pros: Voices of humans, Pokemon
    Writing
    Music
    Openings
    TR

Cons: Idiotic errors like Arbok ---> Seviper.

4Kids dub >>>>> TPCi dub IMO.

Some complaints lobbied against 4Kids, like cutting out clevage, slapping, death, "god", etc. really aren't their fault. There are censors in play, and in America, you know any parent will sue the **** out of you for anything, especially if they feel it inappropriate for their child. Stuff like the riceballs is nitpicking. Yeah they removed Japanese text..who cares?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charmander4 View Post
    Some complaints lobbied against 4Kids, like cutting out clevage, slapping, death, "god", etc. really aren't their fault. There are censors in play, and in America, you know any parent will sue the **** out of you for anything, especially if they feel it inappropriate for their child. Stuff like the riceballs is nitpicking. Yeah they removed Japanese text..who cares?
    Yeah, especially when the series is aimed at kids or all ages.

As for JPN text, I feel that it's better to translate them.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Which is pretty ridiculous, as Kanto had characters smacking each other all the time and 4kids left the other shots in. Misty kicked Brock right in the face in one of Kanto's early episodes for goodness sakes, and in Bulbasaur's first ep, Brock punches Misty on the top of the head. Meowth slash Jessie/James faces all the time in Kanto. All this stuff was left in .

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like that 4Kids made longer openings but there's really not much else I can say that I prefer to what PUSA/TPCI does, especially when TPCI is doing better and better with the music: we actually started to get silence instead of wall-to-wall music and keeping more and more of the original scores, save for at least one episode so far (which may not even be entirely their fault).
    One major con for me about 4Kids is that they apparently didn't study their Pokemon as well as they could have and as such, made so many errors throughout the series. Some of their erros can give viewers the impression that they rushed through the episodes, while others were just blatant ignorance on their part (mispronouncing Pokemon names, wrong Trainer's Choice answers, ect.). Glad such errors are few and far between nowadays.

OSHAWHAT?

Pro and then con.

Some of the old 4Kids dub music I liked. More of the calm stuff. The way they handled music editing in Hoenn, on the other hand, I didn't like. Didn't make the episodes seem as exciting to me.

Stuff like the riceballs is nitpicking.
    What I don't get is why, when the people at 4Kids find it's a big deal that rice balls are there in the first place, there isn't a problem, and yet when they rename them or turn them into sandwiches and some fans complain about it, there is a problem.

4Kids workers (sometimes) have a problem of rice balls being there, and that's considered okay, yet some fans have a problem of rice balls not being there exactly, and that's considered not okay?

Yeah they removed Japanese text..who cares?
    I'm fine with it unless they don't replace it with English writing.
    Seasons =/= Regions

cheese! Insanish Danish's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Insanish Danish on Tumblr

Pros: Good voice acting, funny dialogue and puns, some decent BGM (maybe nowhere as good as the Japanese, but it was certainly better than TPCi's music if you ask me), the catchy theme songs

Cons: Uh...well, I guess I agree with Gliscor'd about Lisa Ortiz voicing EVERY SINGLE DAMN FILLER GIRL in Johto. I generally like her as a VA, but hearing her voice for so many characters was just way too much. And I guess the paint edits and stuff, too. I mean, I was never bothered by it, but it was kinda unnecessary.
    back to being a non-edible pastry

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, come on, there's nothing offensive about rice balls.

But you bring up an interesting point. I wonder what the current dub would look like if it was on network TV instead of cable, since we know that WB demanded certain cuts as well.

Pros

-Good voice acting
    -They knew how to write comedy moments
    -Had good English dub openings

Cons

-They edit out a lot of scenes
    -Translating Japanese to English dub, Cartoon Network seems to be doing a better job with that.
    Ash fan. Multi Ash shipper =]

Blog Entries

Pros
    • The voice acting was quite lovely.

• Some of their music was nice.

• They made J J M speak like normal human beings.

• The opening themes were very well done in my opinion.

Cons
    • There were too many unnecessary edits.

• Their music could be overbearing at times.

• The episodes weren't always translated correctly.
    Shadow Victini likes this.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast