Pokemon Smash is showing an edited version of "Rougela's Christmas" next week
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pokemon Smash is showing an edited version of "Rougela's Christmas" next week

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Default Pokemon Smash is showing an edited version of "Rougela's Christmas" next week

テレビ東京・あにてれ ポケモンスマッシュ!

First the movie Blu-ray set, and now this.

I have no idea why Japan suddenly cares about Rougela again, but here we are.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on October 21st, 2014

Default Re: Pokemon Smash is showing an edited version of "Rougela's Christmas" next week

Has an older episode/movie where Rougela was in it been aired since Aloe got redesigned? It's possible that caused Japan to want to go back and retcon Rougela's color for good.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pokemon Smash is showing an edited version of "Rougela's Christmas" next week

So does this also mean that the Rougelas that appear in Kanna's episode, The Ice Cave, and the first Contest episode are edited too?

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Has an older episode/movie where Rougela was in it been aired since Aloe got redesigned?
    Not on Smash, but on Kids Station, yes. It was not edited there.
    So.

Blog Entries

And when you want a global audience sometimes you need to make concessions for what the rest of the world finds offensive even if it isn't your intention.

I'd rather they edit the episode than not show it at all because they don't want to draw attention to the fact they had changed it.

Follow PockyAddict On Twitter Add PockyAddict on Facebook
    Follow PockyAddict on Tumblr Visit PockyAddict's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    テレビ東京・あにてれ ポケモンスマッシュ!

First the movie Blu-ray set, and now this.

I have no idea why Japan suddenly cares about Rougela again, but here we are.
    It could also so they can be consistent with the design change that jynx had too for some of the new audience of the show.

To be honest, I like this Jynx a lot better than the original.

Blog Entries

As far as I know, this was never an issue in Japan, unless I don't know something. That they changed it makes sense, though. Will we see it? No. There is only one way a dub will be accepted here, and TAJ isn't going to do it. Use the cast they did years ago? The fandom will burn it en masse. This is neat, but it means nothing for us.
    Step into the Fairy circle

God this brings back memories. Back in 2006 KidsWB actually skipped over May's final Hoenn Contest (the one with Skitty Vs. Jynx) and didn't air it till like 3 weeks after the Grand Festival aired. Since we didn't know it would eventually air at the time, I assumed it would stay banned like "The Ice Cave" was because of Jynx's black skin.

I was absolutely furious at the time and threw a hissy fit on the forums at the time, claiming that KidsWB was, "destroying continuity and May's contest arc for dub fans," until I was calmed down by people reassuring me that it'd air. It got me so angry because it wasn't a random filler but an important pivotal episode of a story arc going for 3 years. Funnily enough I think my posts still exist in that old thread back in 2006.

Really funny and ironic to see the JAPANESE airing of this ancient Kanto episode being edited.

Blog Entries
    Follow Magmaster12 On Twitter
    Visit Magmaster12's Youtube Channel

Funny thing is how last year this episode aired on Boomerang, unedited.

Follow PockyAddict On Twitter Add PockyAddict on Facebook
    Follow PockyAddict on Tumblr Visit PockyAddict's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Samurott View Post
    As far as I know, this was never an issue in Japan, unless I don't know something. That they changed it makes sense, though. Will we see it? No. There is only one way a dub will be accepted here, and TAJ isn't going to do it. Use the cast they did years ago? The fandom will burn it en masse. This is neat, but it means nothing for us.
    I do think it was for consistancy, due to jynx being changed to purple somewhere around 2001 or 2002 and probably want to be consistent with that for the younger viewers of the show.

Super Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Quote Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
    Funny thing is how last year this episode aired on Boomerang, unedited.
    They also didn't edit the episode when they released the Indigo League boxsets.

I imagine that this is just a matter of keeping Jynx's coloring consistent with its appearances in more recent series. It would probably be confusing for kids to see Jynx purple in an episode of AG and then black in this episode. Although, I don't know if they've aired this Christmas episode after they changed Jynx to purple a few years ago, but I don't think it's anything more than keeping the design consistent.

The point of this thread is that it's happening in Japan. American airings have nothing to do with it.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

I still think it's weird that they're doing this *now*. "If they were going to bother editing this episode they would have done it way before now," I used to think. Shows what I know.

It's weird even if the Aloe thing really is the reason for them wanting to stamp this out once and for all. I mean, Aloe happened nearly two years ago. I think most people have kind of moved on already.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on October 21st, 2014

Blog Entries

Well they have had to go back to the old episodes to do things like remaster the first episode and get ready for the Blu Ray movie box set (and perhaps the Hulu releases) - so I'd imagine they were at a point where everything they needed to make the changes was readily available.

Not A Piece of Cake Bubble Frog's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    God this brings back memories. Back in 2006 KidsWB actually skipped over May's final Hoenn Contest (the one with Skitty Vs. Jynx) and didn't air it till like 3 weeks after the Grand Festival aired. Since we didn't know it would eventually air at the time, I assumed it would stay banned like "The Ice Cave" was because of Jynx's black skin.

I was absolutely furious at the time and threw a hissy fit on the forums at the time, claiming that KidsWB was, "destroying continuity and May's contest arc for dub fans," until I was calmed down by people reassuring me that it'd air. It got me so angry because it wasn't a random filler but an important pivotal episode of a story arc going for 3 years. Funnily enough I think my posts still exist in that old thread back in 2006.

Really funny and ironic to see the JAPANESE airing of this ancient Kanto episode being edited.
    I never really paid much mind to how May got into the Grand Festival with four ribbons, they aired the fifth ribbon obtaining episode after the GF iirc and I saw it and was all like "Uh..well look at that." I was like 9 or 10 at the time so it wasn't a huge deal. Oh nostalgia, I remember Kids WB's "The Aftertoon Show". But, getting back on topic.

I'm surprised they'redoing this, tbh I just don't see much point in doing it other than "look we CARE". I certainly don't care about this episode at all. I never actually saw "Holiday Hi-Jynx" either.
    Last edited by Bubble Frog; 17th December 2012 at 01:47 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast