Pokemon HD episodes/movies?

Thread: Pokemon HD episodes/movies?

Typhlosion IRL.

Visit Tyestor's Youtube Channel

Default Pokemon HD episodes/movies?

I've been looking around the Googles a bit and can't really find any concrete information on this subject. I was wondering if any of you fine ladies/gentlemen/others knew what seasons were in 720p/1080p. As far as I know, only Season 13 (Sinnoh League Victors) and later are in 720p (I may be wrong). As for the movies, I believe that every movie is in at least 720p with the exception of the first movie then again I may be wrong on this. So yeah, was wondering if anyone actually knew for 100% sure which movies/season are in HD? Thanks for the help.

Moe
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pokemon HD episodes/movies?

Well all the movies would have been on film or in 4k resolution for the later movies if they are distributing them in digital, so all of them should be able to get HD transfers and I believe that will be happening for at least some of the movies in an upcoming Japanese box set. Some of the movies may have had some SD titles/extra animation for the dub but otherwise they are all theoretically available in HD.

Dub wise, Movies 12 and 13 got Blu-Ray releases in Australia, Movies 10 - 14 were shown on Cartoon Network in HD originally (and therefore should be reaired that way) and Movies 4, 5, 6 and 7 have been released on Blu-Ray in the US and Europe. In addition I know movies 2 and 3 are available in HD, but am not sure of the source. It's worth noting movies 4 and 5 have very poor picture quality, though that could be fixable with a better transfer/remastering.

In Japan, Movie 14 has been released on Blu-Ray, and Movie 8 and 10-14 (at least) are shown in HD on TV.

The first movie has been confirmed to be remastered for the box set I mentioned earlier, so that leaves movie 9 as the only one I've never personally been able to find/confirm to be available in HD, but considering movie 8 is, there's no reason it shouldn't be.

In short, nearly all of the movies are in HD - just not all of them easily accessible.

For the TV series, The Lonely Snover (DP121/S12E16) was the first HD episode and all of them since have been.

Typhlosion IRL.

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    Well all the movies would have been on film or in 4k resolution for the later movies if they are distributing them in digital, so all of them should be able to get HD transfers and I believe that will be happening for at least some of the movies in an upcoming Japanese box set. Some of the movies may have had some SD titles/extra animation for the dub but otherwise they are all theoretically available in HD.

Dub wise, Movies 12 and 13 got Blu-Ray releases in Australia, Movies 10 - 14 were shown on Cartoon Network in HD originally (and therefore should be reaired that way) and Movies 4, 5, 6 and 7 have been released on Blu-Ray in the US and Europe. In addition I know movies 2 and 3 are available in HD, but am not sure of the source. It's worth noting movies 4 and 5 have very poor picture quality, though that could be fixable with a better transfer/remastering.

In Japan, Movie 14 has been released on Blu-Ray, and Movie 8 and 10-14 (at least) are shown in HD on TV.

The first movie has been confirmed to be remastered for the box set I mentioned earlier, so that leaves movie 9 as the only one I've never personally been able to find/confirm to be available in HD, but considering movie 8 is, there's no reason it shouldn't be.

In short, nearly all of the movies are in HD - just not all of them easily accessible.

For the TV series, The Lonely Snover (DP121/S12E16) was the first HD episode and all of them since have been.
    Thanks for that, very helpful. I was asking because I have most of the Pokemon seasons (of which only 14 is 720p. I can't find the dub of 720p 13 and I don't have 15 yet) and the 1st, 2nd and 3rd movie of which only the 2nd and third movie is 720p.
    Last edited by Tyestor; 9th September 2012 at 09:46 AM.

Blog Entries

In addition I know movies 2 and 3 are available in HD, but am not sure of the source.
    2 and 3 were available on iTunes US for rent in HD (or purchase in SD, but for the first time in widescreen) for a while (last I saw, 3 was still available in the German iTunes store). Each movie ceased being available around the time of the 10th anniversary of its US theatrical debut.

It's worth noting movies 4 and 5 have very poor picture quality, though that could be fixable with a better transfer/remastering.
    5 looks pretty good to me (except for the color cast), but 4's transfer does leave a fair bit to be desired (it still looks better than the DVD, however due to Blu-Ray's significantly higher bit rate).

Typhlosion IRL.

Man, this is so annoying. I'm trying to find all the movies in at least 720p with the dub. According to what you guys have said almost all the movies should be in 720p with the dub but the only ones I can find are 14a/14b/2/3 and 6. That's it. Sigh, why are they so hard to find ;_;.

EDIT: I found 4, 5, 12, 13, 14a and 14b on Blu-ray online.

4 and 5: http://www.dvd.co.uk/buy/catmiropbd2425/pokemon-forever-and-pokemon-heroes-blu-ray.htm (as far as I know I can play Blu-rays from this site/the UK on my Australian PS3.)
    12: http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/dvd/dvd-genres/kids-family/pokemon-arceus-and-the-jewel-of-life-blu-ray/647929
    13: http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/dvd/dvd-genres/kids-family/pokemon-movie-13-pokemon-zoroark-master-of-illusions-blu-ray/648491
    14a and 14b: http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/dvd/dvd-genres/kids-family/pokemon-the-movie-black-and-white-dual-pack-blu-ray/670787

This is just really annoying. A number of the movies that have been released on Blu-ray have not been uploaded (anywhere that I can see) in 720p/English dub. I mean, I found a 720p English dub version of the Zekrom movie but the quality is terrible, about as bad a 480p movie. What stumps me with that though is that on the exact same site there's the same movie but with Japanese dub but the quality is literally 2.5x better (1k bit rate of the English dub version vs the 3.5k bitrate of the Japanese dub version). Speaking of that though, was wondering if it was possible to get both Jap/Eng versions, take the Eng dub audio and mux it with the Japanese dub/video making it a HD dual audio BD?

Anyway, anyone know where I can find anything else on Blu-ray either region free or from region B?
    Last edited by Tyestor; 10th September 2012 at 02:52 AM.

Blog Entries

The American Blu-ray that contains just movies 5 and 7 (but not the one with 4 and 6 as well) is region-free. So you can get that one for Destiny Deoxys. 1-3 and 8-11 have had no BD release outside the upcoming Japanese one - although the dub track may be included on the Japanese versions of 1-3. 6 is only available for Region A players at the moment.

For anyone interested - all 3 Australian blu-rays (12, 13 and both versions of 14) are playable in region A despite the back of the box saying otherwise.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

None of the HD TV episodes, on the other hand, have been officially released in HD anywhere in the world. All we have of those are whatever DVDs have been released in each country; no Blu-rays of the TV series have been released.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Typhlosion IRL.

Alright cool, thanks guys.

The upcoming Blu-Ray boxed set in Japan is the only true HD release of the Pokemon movies available.

The Blu-Ray released of movies 4, 5, 6 & 7 in the USA (and movies 4 & 5 in UK) seems more like upscales, with the first two been based off very old masters. The quality of movie 4 in particular is shocking, much worse than the DVD, and not even watchable in my opinion. While movie 5 still continues to suffer from that blue tint on the video.

I doubt the Blu-Ray releases of movies 12 - 14 in Australia were based true HD masters either, I know movie 13 was reported to be only 720p.
    Last edited by Kirben; 13th September 2012 at 07:48 AM.