Pokemon DVD Boxsets

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Pokemon DVD Boxsets

Post Pokemon DVD Boxsets

I have all of the Region 1 DVD Boxsets currently released and I was wondering what the Hold up is with the Johto Sagas I think they missed there chance and should have released those Sagas when HeartGold And SoulSilver were released.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Default Re: Pokemon DVD Boxsets

They obviously have no plans of releasing them. Otherwise, as you said, they would have put them out when HeartGold & SoulSilver were still relevant.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Blog Entries

Personally, I think this is an outrage. The US deserves to have DVD box sets for Johto Journeys and Johto League Champions.

Anyone up for a protest? I say we should all send letters to Viz Media, addressing our concerns for seasons 3 and 4!! =D

If there's enough people wanting these box sets, I bet Viz would release them.
    Pokeyug likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Lisa View Post
    Personally, I think this is an outrage. The US deserves to have DVD box sets for Johto Journeys and Johto League Champions.

Anyone up for a protest? I say we should all send letters to Viz Media, addressing our concerns for seasons 3 and 4!! =D

you can import from austraila
    from Tommow they will have Season 1-12(full),13 part1(wait for full season),Zorak,3-Pack DP Set,Bluray
    I'm not here
    This isn't happening
    I'm not here

Blog Entries

Yeah, but importing is only useful if you have a multi-region DVD player.

Otherwise, the DVDs won't even work in an American DVD player. =(

I mean, why should American Pokemon fans have to import the DVDs and buy multi-region DVD players? Viz Media should just release the box sets.

They'll release them eventually like they've been doing the movies and everything else lately. I own all the DVDs and box sets as well (although I actually own Johto League Champions, so that isn't an issue for me), and they've had dry spells in releases before so it's nothing new. I mean, it took 2 years for Galactic Battles to finally get released after Battle Dimension.

I'm thinking that there might have been some sort of contract dispute between Viz and the Pokemon Company. It wouldn't be too surprising if the Company wanted to take over the production of the discs themselves (like the dubbing and the TCG before that). It must have been ironed out since Viz is handling the release of Arceus (finally) and DP:GB, so all we can do is wait.

As for the R4 Australian releases, you can easily play them on any computer with a DVD player. Many video players bypass region locks. I'm sorely tempted to get the R2 or R4 Chronicles DVDs since that has NEVER gotten a R1 release and looks like it never will.

Blog Entries

They Should Relese One's Like The Austrailan Relese with every ep(expect for Non Dubbed and not showned on TV)
    I'm not here
    This isn't happening
    I'm not here

消え人
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Yeah, but importing is only useful if you have a multi-region DVD player.

Otherwise, the DVDs won't even work in an American DVD player. =(

I mean, why should American Pokemon fans have to import the DVDs and buy multi-region DVD players? Viz Media should just release the box sets.
    *If only this argument worked in England, where we haven't had a single episode of Pokémon on DVD.*

Alsdo annoyingly, even if you were to somehow find a set of the Johto singles, there'd still be two episodes missing that got forgotten on R1 DVD. I agree it should've got boxsets or some sort of rerelease to rectify that.

samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by bluesun View Post
    *If only this argument worked in England, where we haven't had a single episode of Pokémon on DVD.*
    On the bright side, we got the complete Pokemon Chronicles. :P

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Triltaison View Post
    They'll release them eventually like they've been doing the movies and everything else lately. I own all the DVDs and box sets as well (although I actually own Johto League Champions, so that isn't an issue for me), and they've had dry spells in releases before so it's nothing new. I mean, it took 2 years for Galactic Battles to finally get released after Battle Dimension.
    Well, I'm mostly concerned about Johto Journeys. In the US, you can't even buy individual DVD volumes of Johto Journeys!! Also, I heard the old DVDs were discontinued and they're pretty expensive on EBay. =/

As for season 4, at certain websites, I've found some DVD volumes of Johto League Champions. These DVDs are sorta rare, but not quite as rare as the Johto Journeys discs. Anyway, I'm thinking about just buying the volumes, cause I already have 1 volume of Johto League Champions. And besides, it's the same thing as having a box set. Once you buy all the volumes, you will eventually complete the set.

Also, Viz Media hasn't released box sets for Advanced Challenge and Advanced Battle either. So I've been buying DVD volumes of seasons 7 and 8, since there are no box sets available. In fact, DVD volumes of seasons 7 and 8 are very easy to find online. And I only need 2 or 3 more DVDs from Advanced Battle. That season was easy to complete, even without a box set!!

Right now, I'm mostly working on getting DVD volumes of season 4 and season 7. While Johto League Champions DVDs are sorta rare, you can still find the volumes online (I know WalMart.com sells them and other places should that have the DVDs). I just have to keep looking, and I will eventually find the volumes. Now, as for Advanced Challenge, those volumes are very easy to find. I should have no trouble collecting the rest of Advanced Challenge. =)

I'm thinking that there might have been some sort of contract dispute between Viz and the Pokemon Company. It wouldn't be too surprising if the Company wanted to take over the production of the discs themselves (like the dubbing and the TCG before that). It must have been ironed out since Viz is handling the release of Arceus (finally) and DP:GB, so all we can do is wait.
    Yeah, I agree. It seems like something happened between the companies.

And yes, that's true. But ALL the DVDs you mentioned are from the D/P series. TPCi dubbed those seasons, so of course Viz would release all of them. However, seasons 3 and 4 were dubbed by 4Kids. So what I'm thinking is, maybe there's some kind of issue there. Do you think maybe 4Kids, Viz Media, and TPCi got into a fight about DVDs from seasons 3 and 4? That would explain why they haven't been released yet.

As for the R4 Australian releases, you can easily play them on any computer with a DVD player. Many video players bypass region locks. I'm sorely tempted to get the R2 or R4 Chronicles DVDs since that has NEVER gotten a R1 release and looks like it never will.
    Well, that's fine and all. But I prefer to watch Pokemon on a TV (rather than on a computer). =P

Alsdo annoyingly, even if you were to somehow find a set of the Johto singles, there'd still be two episodes missing that got forgotten on R1 DVD. I agree it should've got boxsets or some sort of rerelease to rectify that.
    Really? That's weird. =O

Which episodes are missing?
    Last edited by Trainer Lisa; 31st May 2011 at 02:19 AM.

Blog Entries

And yes, that's true. But ALL the DVDs you mentioned are from the D/P series. TPCi dubbed those seasons, so of course Viz would release all of them. However, seasons 3 and 4 were dubbed by 4Kids. So what I'm thinking is, maybe there's some kind of issue there. Do you think maybe 4Kids, Viz Media, and TPCi got into a fight about DVDs from seasons 3 and 4? That would explain why they haven't been released yet.
    TPCi owns the rights to everything 4Kids dubbed, and Viz didn't have a problem doing post-2006 DVD releases of 4Kids episodes, so 4Kids would never have grounds to object the release of anything. The Australian distribution company hasn't had a problem, so Viz shouldn't either.

I mean - we were getting our first release of season 6 when the switch occured.

This one came out in October 2005

This one came out in March 2006

The only difference between the two is the lack of 4Kids logo in the second one. The rights going to TPCi never has, and won't ever affect the publishing of episode DVDs... it's simply a matter of Viz not seeing the need to release Johto sets.

消え人
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Really? That's weird. =O

Which episodes are missing?
    Episodes 156 and 157, by bulbapedia's count.

Yep, I know about the singles thing. They only started doing box sets starting with Battle Frontier, and then earlier stuff got re-released after that as boxsets because people have recently started preferring them to buying individual volumes of series. I'm sure they'll eventually re-release everything as a boxset later down the road. Every season except JJ and JLC are still print, so none of them are hard to find.

There isn't a problem with the 4kids rights. They've been re-releasing the Indigo League, Orange Islands, and movies with no problem. If I were to guess, I personally think that Viz and the Pokemon Company had some kind of rift and that PC wanted to handle the re-release of the Johto seasons around the launch for HGSS themselves. Viz didn't want to give up the rights, and they had a stalemate for a bit. Then PC decided to keep the rights the way they were and continue as normal with Viz, resulting in Arceus and DPGB getting a comparably late DVD release. That's just my own thoughts.

As for JLC DVDs, you'd better spring for 'em quick because certain volumes are seriously hard to find. Volumes 3-7 are pretty easy, but volumes 1 and 2 are annoyingly 'spensive. You're lucky to have volume 1 because that usually floats around on the net for about $80. Volume 2 is cheaper at being $30-$60.

Blog Entries

Uh, which episodes are those? Names please? ^^;

As for JLC DVDs, you'd better spring for 'em quick because certain volumes are seriously hard to find. Volumes 3-7 are pretty easy, but volumes 1 and 2 are annoyingly 'spensive. You're lucky to have volume 1 because that usually floats around on the net for about $80. Volume 2 is cheaper at being $30-$60.
    Oh, no. I didn't mean that I own volume 1. Sorry, I just meant that I have "one" of the volumes so far, lol.

The DVD that I have is "Path to the Johto League Champion", which I believe is volume 4. Actually, they made it hard to find the volume number. It's only listed on the side of the DVD where they have some sort of code "DPM04". xD

And wow... So volumes 3-7 are easy to find, while volumes and 1 and 2 are extremely rare. That's very strange indeed. You'd think volumes 1 and 2 would be easier to find, like the rest of the season.
    Last edited by Trainer Lisa; 31st May 2011 at 02:50 AM.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Lisa

You'd have more luck getting people to actually go out and buy the DVDs that already exist. The only way Viz will listen to us is if we tell them, with our wallets, that there's a market for this type of thing.

Unfortunately, most fans don't ever bother picking them up.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast