I just recently began rewatching all the major contest and gym battle episodes in AG, and I noticed some interesting things about AG 13, the very first contest episode, that I'd totally forgotten about. That one contest featured some elements that seem to have been totally forgotten or re-written by the writers for the rest of the series. I thought I'd post a topic to see if anyone else remembered this stuff too. Here is a list of the differences I saw in AG 13 vs almost every other contest.
1. No Vivian: The host of the very first contest in the series was not Vivian, but some random guy in a dark maroon suit with brown hair and glasses. So what happened to him for the rest of the saga? Was Vivian sick that day ^^? Did the writers originally plan for him to be the MC of all contests, and then change their minds? Was the plan to have different MCs and judges at each contest?
2. Casual Sukizo: In every other contest, as far as I remember, Sukizo appeared wearing a suit. In the very first contest though, he appeared wearing a T-shirt with a pokeball on it. Maybe no one informed him about the dress code for contests during his first time judging ^^.
3. Becoming a top co-ordinator: According to the MC from AG 13, anyone who wins 5 Ribbons from the contests automaticly becomes a "top cordinator". So I guess May's already achieved her goal ^^.
4. GF entry: Maybe this is just how it sounded to me, but in AG 13 the MC also mentioed that someone with 5 Ribbons gains "free automatic access to the GF"; the use of the phrase "free automatic access" implies to me that one could enter the GF without having won 5 Ribbons, maybe by paying an entry fee or something like that. If entry into the GF required 5 Ribbons, then I would have expected him to use the phrase "qualifies for entry" or something similar, rather than what he did say.
5. Contest Passes: According to AG 13, you not only need a contest pass to enter a contest, but also to WATCH a contest. So all 4 of the main characters (even Max) had contest passes for all of AG, they just didn't use them for entering contests.
6. Lost Enthusiasm: Back in AG 13 it wasn't just May who wanted to enter the contest, but Ash and Brock too! Apparently, they completly forgot their desire to enter contests by the time the second one rolled around.
7. Assistants: Of course this was probably just a needed plot device so that May and Max could be involved in the contest in AG 13, but I noticed that this episode was the only time we ever see a co-ordinator with assistants helping out during the appeal.
8. life bar colors: This one lasted longer than the others, but I noticed it when watching AG 13. At some point in AG (don't remember exactly when, does anyone else?) the animators changed the colors of the life point meters. Originally they started out red and then turned yellow as points were depleted. In the later contests they start out yellow and turn black as they deplete. Wonder why they decided to change them.
And that's all the stuff from AG 13 that I noticed.