Pokémon that should've a diffrent dub voice - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Pokémon that should've a diffrent dub voice

Default Re: Pokémon that should've a diffrent dub voice

At the risk of sounding like I'm repeating everyone else... Piplup, by far. Pochama's voice helped give the Penguin Pokemon a ton of personality, whereas Piplup was just given a bog-standard cutesy voice. Ack!

Meowth... meh, I can't say anything that hasn't been said yet.

But what I don't get the Oshawott hate. I actually think it manages to sound pretty close to Mijumaru's voice.
    martianmister likes this.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WatcherMark View Post
    At the risk of sounding like I'm repeating everyone else... Piplup, by far. Pochama's voice helped give the Penguin Pokemon a ton of personality, whereas Piplup was just given a bog-standard cutesy voice. Ack!

Meowth... meh, I can't say anything that hasn't been said yet.

But what I don't get the Oshawott hate. I actually think it manages to sound pretty close to Mijumaru's voice.
    I think it's more that Oshawott's voice is a bit too feminine, but it's not bad at all (especially by TPCi standards, which are virtually nonexistent). And tbh I've never had a problem with a Pokemon's voice barring Zoppi's Meowth: I really can't stand any of the TPCi voices for the human characters. I hope that someday TPCi loses the license to dub and then the original VAs or VAs with some talent from FUNi can dub the anime. XD.

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

Chimchar's dub voice was pure ear rape, and is partially responsible for how much I hate the species now.

Load of Belloni
    Blog Entries

Eh, the dub in general is really shit with pokemon voices imo, with very few exceptions.

Treeko and Grovyle are the first ones that always come to mind for me. He was supposed to be this tough, lone-wolf type of character, and his japanese voice was suitably gruff and reserved. Then the dub goes and gives them both these weird goofy squeaky voices.

I think a lot of pokemon that were supposed to be intimidating of imposing ended up suffering a similar fate. Paul's Electivire, for instance, was supposed to be his trump card monster, the one to fully test Infernape in the final battle. The dub makes it sound like a sick parrot and as such it's hard to take seriously.

Also, Staraptor was bloody awful.

Quote Originally Posted by JB2448 View Post
    Aggron's English-dubbed cry really irritated me when it appeared. In my opinion, his Japanese cry wasn't much to talk about either, but at least it didn't sound angrily constipated.
    I dunno man. The one Aggron from the episode where Brock and Ash have a double battle against TR in the Pewter Gym sounded pretty damn awesome in japanese. One of the most memorable ones imo, and the contrast between it and it's dub voice is extremely jarring.
    TeddiUrsa and martianmister like this.

Moe
    Blog Entries

Most of the problem I have with the dubbing of Pokemon is the insistence on using the full name of the Pokemon every time they speak - particularly when you have long English names and the Pokemon has to say the whole thing all the time - it just never fits.

The actual voices don't often concern me, just they don't follow the Japanese version patterns in using the name of the Pokemon as the basis of speech, not the whole of their speech. Pokemon don't 'say' their name, they speak using the sounds of their name.

Happiny's voice is probably my most disliked out of the frequently recurring ones, Beautifly a close second. Hitmontop probably has my vote for most annoying of all of them - but I'm sure there's others.

Blog Entries

If anything, I wish that Dawn's Piplup sounded like the Piplup from the DP episode "The Thief That Keeps on Thieving". It's still high-pitched, but it's very subtle and not as ear-grating.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12