Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread - Page 184

Page 184 of 375 FirstFirst ... 84134174182183184185186194234284 ... LastLast
Results 2,746 to 2,760 of 5619
Like Tree674Likes

Thread: Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

  1. #2746
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,211
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    Plus it has a unique battle style and a fresh personality, that now we won't get to see as much both on and off the battlefield because of this new capture.
    And you know that because you're a writer and you can see the future.

    You ask why Snivy and not Sewaddle? For those reasons and that Sewaddle has no plot, little personality and a lackluster movepool.
    Again you know this because you're a writer, and know the future, right?

    "Lackluster MovePool" isn't the reason you have a lackluster move pool is so you can DEVELOP?

    Look at Swadloon for a moment, it needs to evolve through happines. Now rewind a little bit, now imagine, that Ash using himself as a shield for Sewaddle is a recurring theme. Now imagine Ash just isn't fast enough, and Sewaddle is hit causing it to evolve. And because Swadloon thought Ash didn't care for it, because of that one time, it becomes really unhappy, and can't evolve further because of it. So Ash needs to rebuild Swadloon's trust, finally the climax of this possible story is Ash uses himself as a shield one time, Swadloon has a change of heart and evolves to kick the Pokemon's ass.

    Right there is possible and good development.

    But Snivy? What does meeting the trainer she abandoned, what good will that do? Will Snivy change her mind and go with her old trainer dumping Ash? How is that good development.

    Again that undermines everything that happened in BW007.

    It had trouble flying, by the end of the McCann episode, it didn't. End of story.
    No, because it didn't need to train further if that was the case. It stayed for the sole purpose of training, not because Gliscor found the love of its life and wanted to build a family.

    Plus, when it came back, was it developped more?
    Yes, Gliscor used a battling strategy it learned from McCann to help it defeat a Pokemon. Sounds a lot better than having Snivy abandoned Ash just for a "good" story plot.

    In this case, a release for good would have been the better option.
    No, and I'll explain why when I get to your other "point."

    but because each of its appearances cost Ash some developpement.
    Again no, and I'll explain in a moment.

    [quote]Instead of trying out new strategies, strenghtenning his pokémon, he was passive in battles and simply let Charizard pound the other guy.[/quo0te] That's the thing, right there, what does Pikachu do for Ash's team? It's Ash's very first Pokemon, has been in every episode, and yet somehow it isn't done being developed? What a Pokemon you can end up disliking for you can be developed in less time, but somehow Pikachu has to be developed within three million years with 365 times more episodes?


    A- I'm disagreeing with your ideas, I'm not out to get you. Not everyone has to agree with you and it's okay to disagree.
    It's not about agreeing or disagreeing, it comes down to the frustration that people are so contradicting. That's why I'm so frustrated.

    B- I've always been pro-releases in the cases where the pokémon is done (i.e. no more evo and all of its problems/plotlines have been resolved)
    So then why let Ash have any Pokemon in the first place, if they are all just going to be released? What's the point of Pokemon, if all it comes down to releasing. The only time I ever release a Pokemon is if I technically don't want it because I already have one. But I sure as hell am going to keep Serperior and Leavanny because they are two DIFFERENT Pokemon.

    especially in Gliscor and Charizard's cases, both times the anime proving me right about their returns being detrimental to Ash's and Ash's pokémon's developpement.
    Time to go back to my earlier "vague" Points.

    1st Point= "In this case, a release for good would have been the better option."

    Gliscor got shit treatment, I don't see how anyone would think otherwise.

    Let's follow up your second point = but because each of its appearances cost Ash some developpement

    Let's look at it for what it really was (the release of Gliscor). To piss on Ash's skills as a trainer. Suddenly McCann is a better trainer and can train Gliscor better than Ash? I still believe one more night, and Ash could've beat McCann's Scizor.

    So if anything was detrimental to Ash's development as a trainer it was the fact Gliscor was being released in the first place.

    Writer 1- Ash sucks as trainer, why not release it?

    It being released had nothing to do with Gliscor's development being done, as I said IT WAS NOWHERE NEAR DONE if Gliscor had to be trained by a better trainer to be a stronger Pokemon. It was absolutely insulting to Ash's character to release Gliscor.

    But NO, the writers had to come up with some lame ass reason to release Gliscor just so Ash can get Gible, because rotation was such a bad thing then.

    And what did Gible bring to the table besides comic relief? Absolutely NOTHING. It's development came out of nowhere. I mean really if learning Draco Meteor was so dependant on shooting a Pokemon out of its mouth, why didn't they do it sooner. It was sloppily done, and horrible.

    But I don't care too much about that because Ash got a dragon type. Albeit it pretty much showed up less than Snorunt and Glalie (combined). And all it's development led to was learning Draco Meteor. They didn't even address Dragon Pulse's negative side effect to Gible.

    Gible was nowhere near being developed as some would like to argue. Learning Draco Meteor was definitely not the end of Gible's development, not even remotely close.

    C- Sewaddle is useless on Ash's team and brings nothing that other pokémon, not just Snivy, couldn't already bring.
    I didn't realize every Pokemon on Ash's team were part bug.

    And I don't see why you're being insistant that Sewaddle is so boring on Ash's team.

    Does every Pokemon have to be Snivy, and already be developed and can't develop further?

    Is that how you want it?

    Well for starters, I'd actually like something that can be developed from the very beginning, from scratch as opposed to a situation where a Pokemon can only be developed further by evolving and maybe magically learning ONE move.

    Now that I think about it, I can see how someone pro-release would find Snivy to be more tolerable compared to Sewaddle. Snivy's primed to get released, just throw in a few episodes and then it can be released, but Sewaddle still has a crap load of development that it can go through, which will at least take ten episodes for it to be developed and released. I can definitely see the appeal of Snivy over Sewaddle in that case.

    But anyway as I said before, Ash has never had a Pokemon like Leavanny, you can argue all you want but the fact remains, he hasn't had a Pokemon like Leavanny.

    Hell Arti's Leavanny already proves this point. I mean which of Ash's Pokemon can spit out a sticky string on a human grab it with its scythe arm appendages and looks strangely bad ass while flinging the human to safely while actually not having any fingers making the scene bad ass but ridiculous at the same time?

  2. #2747
    Child of the Atom Hellion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    The Danger Room
    Posts
    7,083
    Blog Entries
    43

    Default Re: Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    And you know that because you're a writer and you can see the future.
    No, I know that because I watch pokémon and I can see its past. Ash has been through 4 regions and in all 4, he hasn't had a team where every pokémon truly shined and was fully developped, even in Hoenn when he didn't have a seventh pokémon. The writers are dividing the screentime, since there's only so many BW episodes, which means each pokémon gets less and feel less three-dimensional.

    Let's review... in 18 episodes, none of Ash's pokémon had even begun to be developped. Now one of these pokémon: Pidove, Tepig and Snivy is being sent to Professor Juniper. Those three pokémon still had miles of developpement to go through. Tepig and Pidove still need personality and plot. Snivy and Pidove are in dire need of battles and screentime and what do we do? Box them. How is that good for them? How is Ash getting Sewaddle helping these pokémon? It doesn't.

    The pokémon on Ash's team are gonna get less developpement, less battles, the more pokémon the writers give Ash.

    But Snivy? What does meeting the trainer she abandoned, what good will that do? Will Snivy change her mind and go with her old trainer dumping Ash? How is that good development.
    That story can happen a few different ways, but it should be addressed since it was mentionned and set up. Snivy's abandonment of its former trainer is a fresh and new perspective and, if done right, could really developp both Ash and Snivy.

    Doing it right, doesn't mean letting it rot at Jumiper's.

    Yes, Gliscor used a battling strategy it learned from McCann to help it defeat a Pokemon.
    1- Gliscor wasn't that much stronger than he was at the end of its release episode.
    2- That didn't make Ash developp as a trainer.

    That's the thing, right there, what does Pikachu do for Ash's team?
    Absolutely nothing.

    it comes down to the frustration that people are so contradicting.
    Again, I said that I wished Charizrd and Squirtle had stayed gone, because it hurt the Johto starters in their League and the Hoenn team in the battle Frontier. (Glalie had no battle and Torkoal had 1 loss). I've always agreed with pokémon releases if they're done developpement wise.

    Gliscor got shit treatment, I don't see how anyone would think otherwise.
    Gligar had trouble flying and was a crybaby, Gliscor had no trouble flying and wasn't a crybaby by the time of the McCann episode. That's developpement so no, it didn't get crap treatement. It was done.

    Gible was nowhere near being developed as some would like to argue.
    That's why I don't think it should be released and wouldn't mind seeing it again down the line. See how that works?

    I didn't realize every Pokemon on Ash's team were part bug.
    No but Mijumaru can learn Fury Cutter which would go with the Samurai fighting style and Daikenki can learn Megahorn. All the grass type moves that the Sewaddle line can learn, Snivy can learn too. Vine Whip/String shot are interchangeable.

    Does every Pokemon have to be Snivy, and already be developed and can't develop further?
    Snivy is far from being developped. It's backstory isn't established, she could use more interactions and maturing alongside Ash. Snivy actually feels like a real character, with a personality, a past, a storyline. Snivy has something that Sewaddle doesn't: a reason to be on Ash's team.

    I'm not saying release Sewaddle now. I'm saying, evolve it quickly, give it a win, then make it go the way of Butterfree.

  3. #2748
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,102
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

    I want Dento's Yanappu to evolve :3 I hope it happens sometime this year.

  4. #2749
    why the long face ponyta?
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    in my house
    Posts
    105

    Default Re: Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

    dont release sewaddle :O he's like the spiderman of pokemon

  5. #2750
    (-, - )…zzzZZZ Reila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,370
    Blog Entries
    59

    Default Re: Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

    I hope that Zuruggu turns out in a main pokémon in Ash's team and evolve soon :3 Zuruzukin is the law.
    And don't release Sweaddle, it's cute and Leavanny is badass, more than Servine and Serperior (although a Arbok-like pokémon in Ash's team would be awesome)

    And I wanna see Yanappu evolving also, but don't give one to Ishizumai. Turn out in a big and slow thing would destroy Ishizumai's battle style.

  6. #2751
    8D
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    U.S. Illinois
    Posts
    1,093

    Default Re: Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    Let's review... in 18 episodes, none of Ash's pokémon had even begun to be developped. Now one of these pokémon: Pidove, Tepig and Snivy is being sent to Professor Juniper. Those three pokémon still had miles of developpement to go through. Tepig and Pidove still need personality and plot. Snivy and Pidove are in dire need of battles and screentime and what do we do? Box them. How is that good for them? How is Ash getting Sewaddle helping these pokémon? It doesn't.
    Tbh though, the beginning of each series is always a little slow on development. It's not until later until things start getting better development wise. Because tbh, no one is truly developed yet. At least not to their potential. TP, TR, Dento, and Iris are all in the same boat. Things can change in the anime pretty easily for the good of Ash's pokemon.

    Also, past sagas also didn't have Ash rotate pokemon so maybe rotation might be really good considering no one pokemon is at Juniper's for 30+ episodes or whatever. And since BW is more Ash-centric, it's probably easier for him to show off his pokemon considering we don't need tons of episodes dedicated for contest training, contests, contest rivals, etc. BW, whether it's somehow all of Unova or Unova + a filler saga, should be the same amount of episodes as normal considering that's the time each game comes out. There should be time (and my previous prediction of gym battles and stuff make it seem like things could be balanced on that aspect so hey, it's possible).

    Oh and if you're worried about Sewaddle being detrimental to Ash's pokemon's screentime, the starters and Scraggy show up in BW20 with Sewaddle not there. So Snivy's development or screentime doesn't seem to be compromised.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou View Post
    I hope that Zuruggu turns out in a main pokémon in Ash's team and evolve soon :3 Zuruzukin is the law.
    I think Scraggy evolving is a good possibility. Cilan mentioned in its capture episode that him Axew can battle together and mature together or something like that. So maybe while Iris trains Axew and evolves him all the way to Haxorus, Ash does the same with Scraggy and evolves it all the way to Scrafty. And then we can see a Haxorus vs. Scrafty battle during Iris vs. Ash's hypothetical gym match where Scrafty wins the badge for Ash. Then cue Cilan saying how both pokemon are matured and have a good taste or whatever he says lol.

  7. #2752
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,211
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ash6K View Post
    Oh and if you're worried about Sewaddle being detrimental to Ash's pokemon's screentime, the starters and Scraggy show up in BW20 with Sewaddle not there. So Snivy's development or screentime doesn't seem to be compromised.
    Yeah which why I have to laugh. So far BW019 and BW020 don't seem to have Sewaddle, but Snivy shows up (at least in the latter episode I mentioned), lol at Snivy's development being screwed up by Sewaddle just because Sewaddle just so happens to be PART grass.

  8. #2753
    Child of the Atom Hellion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    The Danger Room
    Posts
    7,083
    Blog Entries
    43

    Default Re: Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ash6K View Post
    Tbh though, the beginning of each series is always a little slow on development.
    By this time in DP, they had already evolved Starly, set up Aipom's love for contests and a possible trade, as well as Turtwig trusting Ash when it asked him to dodge attacks... so much for no developpement in early sagas...

    Also, past sagas also didn't have Ash rotate pokemon so maybe rotation might be really good considering no one pokemon is at Juniper's for 30+ episodes or whatever.
    We don't know that. Maybe the writers will keep Sewaddle on the main cast and not have Pidove come back until before the sixth gym...

    Oh and if you're worried about Sewaddle being detrimental to Ash's pokemon's screentime
    Pidove would like a word with you, it's still crying out for a real chance to prove itself and a hint of personality.

    the starters and Scraggy show up in BW20 with Sewaddle not there. So Snivy's development or screentime doesn't seem to be compromised.
    We've yet to see a Snivy centric episode after its capture, we've yet to see her train alongside Ash, and she lacks screentime compared to Pikachu, Mijumaru and Tepig... and now, she's not even guaranteed to be in the battles where it would make sense to use a grass type cause Sewaddle is there, ergo it should be released ASAP.

    As for BW020, we don't know how much focus Snivy will get, if any.

    I think Scraggy evolving is a good possibility.
    Agreed.
    Last edited by Hellion; 31st January 2011 at 09:17 PM.

  9. #2754
    Bulbapædist Zeta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,473

    Default Re: Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

    That's the thing, right there, what does Pikachu do for Ash's team? It's Ash's very first Pokemon, has been in every episode, and yet somehow it isn't done being developed? What a Pokemon you can end up disliking for you can be developed in less time, but somehow Pikachu has to be developed within three million years with 365 times more episodes?
    Pikachu being so stagnant has really hurt the series, in retrospect.
    Up the airy mountains / Down the rushy Glen /
    We dare not go a-hunting / For fear of Fairy-type Pokémon

  10. #2755
    8D
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    U.S. Illinois
    Posts
    1,093

    Default Re: Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    By this time in DP, they had already evolved Starly, set up Aipom's love for contests and a possible trade, as well as Turtwig trusting Ash when it asked him to dodge attacks... so much for no developpement in early sagas...
    Well we got Oshawott and Tepig learn Aqua Jet and Nitro Charge respectively, Snivy starred in Ash's match against Shooti (beating his starter which was something Pikachu couldn't do), and as for evolutions, we got hints to future evos due to merchandise so we should expect some soon. Not to mention, I feel like we see Ash's pokemon more often. Oshawott pops up most of the episodes, Scraggy's doing the same too soon. Snivy and Tepig are showing up often as well. It may be little, but I feel that I see Ash's team/pokemon a lot more than I have in early parts of past series.

    And from what you mentioned, Aipom was set up to love contests at the end of BF and it was just continuing from there. That's a different scenario since it was caught late in one saga so it already had some sort of development when it first started in DP. Also, Ash didn't complete his team as early as he did so the couple of captures he got later could be the evos he's going to get soon in BW.

    I also didn't say there was no development in early sagas. I said it was slow. Which is true, Turtwig didn't evolve until episode 100. Chimchar didn't evolve until afterwards. And speaking of DP, it may be better to see some of the good stuff later rather than now for development. Look what happened to Buizel. All that development in the first half of DP, later half, it was at a constant losing streak with just one Ice Punch episode. Then we all know what happened to Torterra. And looking at AG, it doesn't seem like anything big happened there either by this point in time. Ash got Tailow in AG4 but it didn't do anything until it evolved. AG7, Ash got Treecko and it seems like the most important thing it did until AG20 was the Roxanne gym match and its battle against Jessie's Seviper.

    Also, you mentioned something about stories and development. Which leads me to this point: Staraptor really had no story or development. It just fulfilled the bird role and just evolved, learned a couple of new moves (2 actually), and it never even starred in a battle. If you're using that excuse for why Sewaddle should be released then Gliscor should've stayed and Staraptor should've been released. Because Gliscor did have a story, a personality, and some development to go through. With that said, I feel like its unfair to wish Sewaddle be released considering we haven't seen anything of it yet besides what we saw in its first episode. Shouldn't we give it a chance before passing judgment?

    We don't know that. Maybe the writers will keep Sewaddle on the main cast and not have Pidove come back until before the sixth gym...
    Considering it seems like we could see Swadloon and Tranquill in the future for Ash, Ash sorta needs to rotate the two at least a couple of times for that to happen. And there is a toy coming out soon advertising Ash and Pidove so hey, we'll probably still see it again. Rotating does seem at least more likely at this point than it has been in the past.

    Pidove would like a word with you, it's still crying out for a real chance to prove itself and a hint of personality.
    Its greeting and delayed reaction to Scraggy's Headbutt wasn't a hint of personality? It didn't prove itself by getting the upperhand against Snivy? Sure it doesn't seem like the best now but remember, Ash's first stage birds never get the best treatment. Starly really didn't do anything until it evolved. Taillow lost a fighting type gym battle and also didn't do anything until it evolved (and it evolved way later than Starly).

    Besides, Pidove could end up like Staraptor and just Ash's token bird pokemon that evolves, learns a couple of moves, and participates in some battles and that's it. Because tbh, its moveset isn't that great and it's not like we haven't seen stuff from Swellow and Staraptor. We're actually lucky it has a chance of having a cool male/female battle/rivalry with Shooti's potential Unfezant once it evolves all the way.

    We've yet to see a Snivy centric episode after its capture, we've yet to see her train alongside Ash, and she lacks screentime compared to Pikachu, Mijumaru and Tepig... and now, she's not even guaranteed to be in the battles where it would make sense to use a grass type cause Sewaddle is there, ergo it should be released ASAP.
    Because there's no such thing as 3 vs. 3 or 2 vs. 2 or double battles. Who says all battles are one on one? There could be a couple of times where Ash needs both Snivy and Sewaddle.

    As for BW020, we don't know how much focus Snivy will get, if any.
    Well hey, Sewaddle isn't seen at all. So she already got one potential use over Sewaddle. Considering that circumstance, Sewaddle's existence shouldn't be a huge problem like you're making out to be.

  11. #2756
    Child of the Atom Hellion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    The Danger Room
    Posts
    7,083
    Blog Entries
    43

    Default Re: Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ash6K View Post
    Snivy and Tepig are showing up often as well.
    Snivy showed up often? Since the Shooti match, she had a fail battle against Bel's Chillarmy and showed up to greet Zuruggu. Along with Pidove (who hasn't done anything in ever), it's really underused. Yet who gets shipped to Juniper so the bug can get focus? Pidove, so don't give me the argument that Sewaddle doesn't mean that Ash's pokémon won't get shafted, it's already happening.

    it may be better to see some of the good stuff later rather than now for development.
    Better to see it now than to see very little of it or not at all, which from the looks of it, might happen. The writers are already spamming Mijumaru for all it's worth, at the detriment of other pokémon, so now we have to divide even more the scraps that pokémon not named Pikachu and Mijumaru were getting, and you're telling me it's a good thing for those pokémon...

    If you're using that excuse for why Sewaddle should be released then Gliscor should've stayed and Staraptor should've been released.
    By the time of Gliscor's release? Both were done personality, developpement and plotwise, so I would have been fine with either being released and never coming back. Though, if I had to choose between the two, I would choose Staraptor to stay as I found it more compelling.

    Shouldn't we give it a chance before passing judgment?
    Not really... As I mentioned before, it can't bring anything to the table that Mijumaru (slashing bug moves, blade attacks) and Snivy (grass moves) couldn't bring themselves. Vine Whip can replace string shot.

    So... why give a chance to a pokémon who already is gonna cost screentime and developpement to other pokémon and brings nothing new to the table?

    That's what's getting me more than the rotating. It's the pointlessness of Kurumiru on Ash's team. It brings nothing to the table that other pokémon couldn't bring. If Ash was rotating with a pokémon that brought something totally different, I might not be as against it, but Kurumiru is a wasted capture.

    Hence why I advocate release in this case, it's pointless.

    Ash's first stage birds never get the best treatment.
    So wait... it's bad that Ash's birds never get the best treatment in their first stage, so you're defending the writer's choice to give Ash a pokémon... that ensures that Ash's first stage bird will recieve a bad treatment.

    Because tbh, its moveset isn't that great and it's not like we haven't seen stuff from Swellow and Staraptor.
    I agree, I think Pidove was a boring and predictable choice for Ash's team, and its movepool sucks but hey, at least it can bring something that noone else can on Ash's Unova team, unlike Sewaddle.

    Because there's no such thing as 3 vs. 3 or 2 vs. 2 or double battles. Who says all battles are one on one? There could be a couple of times where Ash needs both Snivy and Sewaddle.
    Yes, but we all know there's usually only one star in a battle. Now everytime it would make sense to have that star be a grass type, it'll be divided between Snivy and Kurumiru, costing developpement and screentime to the former.

  12. #2757
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    172
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

    I believe Sewaddle is a good pokemon to introduce. Most of my reasons have already been stated by others and it would just make me the new guy look like I'm picking sides if I said which reasons. But there is one overhanging plot item from Sinnoh that Sewaddle makes use of that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet and is the only Pokemon Ash can catch in Unova/Isshu that it can be used with as part of it's storyline due to Jessie catching the one-toothed wonder.

  13. #2758
    8D
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    U.S. Illinois
    Posts
    1,093

    Default Re: Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    Snivy showed up often? Since the Shooti match, she had a fail battle against Bel's Chillarmy and showed up to greet Zuruggu. Along with Pidove (who hasn't done anything in ever), it's really underused. Yet who gets shipped to Juniper so the bug can get focus? Pidove, so don't give me the argument that Sewaddle doesn't mean that Ash's pokémon won't get shafted, it's already happening.
    The only reason it seems underused is because it didn't get that gym battle. Before that it seemed to be the most used (at least more than Tepig and Pidove). Give it a couple of episodes and that can easily change.

    And as I've said before in my previous post, if we're to expect a Tranquill on Ash's team in the near future, Ash would have to rotate for that to happen. And considering that it might be the first evo, that's hardly shafting. Besides, if you agree that there isn't much you could do with Pidove, it's not like it needs as many episodes as the starters or Scraggy to get good development (Staraptor didn't have a lot either).

    Better to see it now than to see very little of it or not at all, which from the looks of it, might happen. The writers are already spamming Mijumaru for all it's worth, at the detriment of other pokémon, so now we have to divide even more the scraps that pokémon not named Pikachu and Mijumaru were getting, and you're telling me it's a good thing for those pokémon...
    Again, we're at least up to BW20, none of Ash's pokemon did anything of importance by AG20. And even up to DP20, all the stuff that happened to Ash's team wasn't that developed except Starly's evo. And Oshawott's screentime is usually just for laughs (and recently as well as more often than not, it has appeared with one other pokemon), the writers aren't spamming it as much as people say it is. Its two gym battles also featured Tepig, Snivy starred more than it during the Shooti battle. It wasn't around for the Excadrill episode while Snivy and Tepig were. And Snivy also appeared with it in the Cinccino episode.

    And that's not what I meant either. Using the Buizel and Torterra example, I wanted to show that the hopes of expecting screentime now is not necessary because once what you want happens and is done with, then what if there's enough time throughout the series that it does nothing like they did? There needs to be a good balance, and I think so far, there is at least the potential for a good balance of screentime. Right now, it seems the main focus on Ash's team are the starters and Scraggy with Oshawott slightly ahead. Which if Oshawott becomes a Samurott and is the main starter, makes sense. Snivy already is acknowledged as a tough pokemon, let's not expect its whole story to be revealed this early. There is time for that and all we have to do is wait for it. Seriously, there have been many instances where people have complained or worry about stuff that if they just give it time, it would've been fine. Like when Ash lost to Paul in their first match. Some people were stating that the DP pokemon were weak, Ash needs his reserves against Paul, etc. Yeah, look how much that changed (even with all of the team's flaws).

    By the time of Gliscor's release? Both were done personality, developpement and plotwise, so I would have been fine with either being released and never coming back. Though, if I had to choose between the two, I would choose Staraptor to stay as I found it more compelling.
    Gliscor was done with development? If it didn't go to McCann's, you wouldn't be calling it cheap. If it finished its training with Ash, that'd be much better wouldn't it? Because we could see its actually practice more of its Giga Impact. See Ash teach it Stone Edge, etc. I'm not complaining about how it was handled, although I admit it definitely could be better. But with all the complaining of how it was so cheap, a release wasn't necessary for it then.

    Not really... As I mentioned before, it can't bring anything to the table that Mijumaru (slashing bug moves, blade attacks) and Snivy (grass moves) couldn't bring themselves. Vine Whip can replace string shot.
    Shadow Claw and Poison Jab aren't really blade attacks. I'd prefer Oshawott to have Megahorn (which is a type of horn attack) than Fury Cutter and X-Scissor tbh and that's only one bug move. Keep in mind that Sewaddle and its evos can also learn: Bug Buzz (a buzzing move, none of Ash's pokemon have it), Struggle Bug (a new move never seen before), Bug Bite (no one can use a biting attack right now), Energy Ball (no one has an elemental ball move either), Aerial Ace (people are getting sick of the birds using it, but it seems like it could be more interesting with a non-bird and the only non-bird of Ash's pokemon that can use it is Quilava). Yeah, that's a good amount of moves right there.

    So... why give a chance to a pokémon who already is gonna cost screentime and developpement to other pokémon and brings nothing new to the table?
    Because that may not be the case. It feels like you're treating this scenario as if we're halfway done with BW when we're not. Keep in mind that even if the gym pacing is fast so far we have TP and TR to consider and there's that whole northeast sector of Unova for Ash and co. to travel.

    So wait... it's bad that Ash's birds never get the best treatment in their first stage, so you're defending the writer's choice to give Ash a pokémon... that ensures that Ash's first stage bird will recieve a bad treatment.
    It's not like it makes a difference though does it? Again, Taillow didn't do a thing until it evolved 50 something episodes later and Ash didn't even have a full team. And Staraptor never starred in a match throughout all of DP when Ash caught pokemon much later than he did now. It doesn't have the best moves to begin with either. So what can the writers possibly do now? Even without Sewaddle, we have Scraggy and the starters taking up the screentime the next two episodes.

    Now once Pidove evolves, I'll defend it more because let's be real here, the fully evolved birds are what really matters.

    I agree, I think Pidove was a boring and predictable choice for Ash's team, and its movepool sucks but hey, at least it can bring something that noone else can on Ash's Unova team, unlike Sewaddle.
    In terms of every pokemon Ash has used, it doesn't bring anything new besides special flying moves which Noctowl can easily learn. Sewaddle on the other hand can learn Bug moves Heracross can't dream of knowing. In some hypothetical BF, Champion League, etc. Pidove is faced with competition from Noctowl with special attacks and Swellow and Staraptor with physical attacks. A future Leavanny only shares a type with Heracross who only uses horned attacks.

    Yes, but we all know there's usually only one star in a battle. Now everytime it would make sense to have that star be a grass type, it'll be divided between Snivy and Kurumiru, costing developpement and screentime to the former.
    Um, the writers can always pick Snivy as the star than Sewaddle too. They already picked it to appear in BW20 over Sewaddle to possibly go against the Duckletts. And another important thing to realize is that once Sewaddle becomes a Leavanny, it has less going on for it than Snivy so it's actually Sewaddle that would have a Buizel like scenario more than Snivy would. And so if you just give it time, there would be nothing to worry about Snivy's development.

    EDIT: From the first 20 episodes of AG and DP, there were a lot of May and Dawn episodes and not so much of Ash's. Considering they got even more as time went on, that should indicate that Cilan's and Iris' future episodes aren't gonna add up to how much May, and especially Dawn did. With that said, since BW is more Ash focused, there's technically more chances to see his pokemon develop. And yes, like I said before, even with the faster gym pacing so far we haven't even got to the main point of TR's plans, TP in general, the northeast sector of Unova, and other factors that can increase the time between gyms/extend BW's episode count.
    Last edited by Ash6K; 1st February 2011 at 12:34 AM.

  14. #2759
    Child of the Atom Hellion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    The Danger Room
    Posts
    7,083
    Blog Entries
    43

    Default Re: Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ash6K View Post
    if
    I see this word a lot. If means something that has a chance to happen, but might not. Let's concentrate on what has happened instead. Ash was given 5 Unova pokémon and in the 16 first episodes of BW, two of them got an overwhelming majority of the focus, Pikachu and Mijumaru. The rest had to fight for what was left. Let's say it was 70%-30% division. That's what we've seen so far and we have no reason to doubt it'll be any different as Pikachu is a mascot and Mijumaru looks to be BW's mascot à la Piplup.

    Add more pokémon to the mix, they have to fight with the other 4 who get 30% of the focus for that 30%, making them appear less, getting less developpement and less battles. As such, captures and rotation come at a price, namely the role of Snivy, Tepig, Pidove and Zuruggu.

    And even up to DP20, all the stuff that happened to Ash's team wasn't that developed except Starly's evo.
    Turtwig showed a problem in DP006's battle with Paul and solved it by the Roark rematch. Same with Aipom participating in its first contest (and a second unofficial contest not far behind), building up its love for contests.

    All of this = developpement. Had the writers done some of that with the first 6 pokémon (like having Snivy distrusting Ash's orders, Tepig freezing up during a battle cause he's afraid of being released, etc.), I might consider giving them the benefit of the doubt with more. They didn't.

    Gliscor was done with development?
    It's storyline was done. It was a crybaby afraid to fly, by the McCann episode, it wasn't. He didn't have anything really left to prove battle wise, no rivalry with Paul's pokémon to tie up and the writers proved me right on that as Gliscor really didn't gain anything by coming back and actually cost Ash's Torterra a win, leaving its rivalry with Paul's Honchcrow unfinished.

    Shadow Claw and Poison Jab aren't really blade attacks.
    Writers are concentrating on grass and bug moves for Sewaddle, they aren't going to totally overhaul its movepool with unusual moves for the hell of it. So far, they are giving Sewaddle Bug and grass moves according to its typing. Both those can be provided by other members of Ash's team.

    I'd prefer Oshawott to have Megahorn (which is a type of horn attack) than Fury Cutter and X-Scissor tbh and that's only one bug move.
    And one bug move is all you need really. Why limit Oshawott's movepool when it can learn bug moves naturally? It'd make it an asset against grass type pokémon and (with Fury Cutter or X-Scissor) gowith the whole Samurai thing, giving Oshawott's line a unique battle style.

    Because that may not be the case.
    But it may be and look, Sewaddle is already robbing Pidove of screentime...

    It's not like it makes a difference though does it?
    As I said, I don't mind releases (or oaking though I prefer releases in the case I'm describing) to make room for a new pokémon if the released pokémon's done developpement wise. Why? Because its return eats the screen time of other pokémon that need it more.

    I mind oaking to make room for a new pokémon if the oaked pokémon isn't don developpement wise. Why? Because its capture eats the screen time of other pokémon that need it more.

    And another important thing to realize is that once Sewaddle becomes a Leavanny, it has less going on for it than Snivy
    Then why not release Leavanny instead of letting it eat other pokémon's screentime, pokémon who still need developpement. Your argument is that it brings less, then why have it in the first place?

    Which brings us back to my original point. This capture is pointless and therefore, the minimum amount of episodes should be dedicated to the bug, after which it should be released, sent away never to return.

  15. #2760
    8D
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    U.S. Illinois
    Posts
    1,093

    Default Re: Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    I see this word a lot. If means something that has a chance to happen, but might not. Let's concentrate on what has happened instead. Ash was given 5 Unova pokémon and in the 16 first episodes of BW, two of them got an overwhelming majority of the focus, Pikachu and Mijumaru. The rest had to fight for what was left. Let's say it was 70%-30% division. That's what we've seen so far and we have no reason to doubt it'll be any different as Pikachu is a mascot and Mijumaru looks to be BW's mascot à la Piplup.

    Add more pokémon to the mix, they have to fight with the other 4 who get 30% of the focus for that 30%, making them appear less, getting less developpement and less battles. As such, captures and rotation come at a price, namely the role of Snivy, Tepig, Pidove and Zuruggu.
    If is a safer word choice than saying something will happen but it's obvious Pidove's gonna evolve. The only question is when and I doubt it'd be like a year from now. And um... Ash got 2 pokemon in AG the first 16 episodes and they didn't do a whole lot. I've said that a couple times by now.

    Besides here (not counting Pikachu for obvious reasons):
    BW1: Oshawott is introduced (it gets screentime)
    BW2: Ash gets Pidove (Pidove gets screentime, Oshawott is revealed to have followed Ash)
    BW3: Ash gets Oshawott (Oshawott gets screentime)
    BW4: Ash gets Tepig (Tepig gets screentime, Oshawott gets minor)
    BW5/6: Sanyou gym battle (Tepig and Oshawott get screentime, Oshawott stars)
    BW7: Ash gets Snivy (all of Ash's pokemon appear, Snivy's the starred pokemon)
    BW8: All pokemon get screentime
    BW9: Snivy and Tepig get screentime
    BW10: Snivy gets the most screentime, all appeared
    BW11: Pidove is used, none of Ash's other
    BW12: All of Ash's pokemon appear
    BW13: Oshawott and Snivy appear (equally)
    BW14: Oshawott appears once
    BW15/16: Oshawott and Tepig but Tepig stars
    BW17: All appeared, Scraggy's debut
    BW18: Sewaddle is caught, none of Ash's pokemon appeared
    BW19: Scraggy and Oshawott appear (so far)
    BW20: All starters and Scraggy appear

    So right now: Oshawott (16), Tepig (11), Snivy (8), Pidove (7), Scraggy (3), Sewaddle (1)
    Oshawott's screentime count is only up by 5 compared to Tepig, 2 of which are from its intro episodes before it was caught. So that's like only 3 extra appearances than Tepig. Snivy's 3 less than Tepig's appearances and it was caught 3 episodes later so that balances out. Pidove only appears one less than Snivy. And besides Sewaddle's episode, Scraggy seems to be out and about getting focus in these recent episodes too. The screentime's all not that bad especially since it's stated that Snivy is ahead of the pack with its strength.

    Rest of my response here since it's pretty long:
    Last edited by Ash6K; 1st February 2011 at 02:58 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •