Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread - Page 181

Page 181 of 375 FirstFirst ... 81131171179180181182183191231281 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,715 of 5616
Like Tree674Likes

Thread: Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

  1. #2701
    Child of the Atom Hellion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    The Danger Room
    Posts
    7,083
    Blog Entries
    43

    Default Re: Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ash6K View Post
    But tbh, people already pegged Snivy as an unevolved pokemon
    and it might happen. So, just because it's not evolving means it should be shafted? The few episodes that will focus on Kurumiru (hopefully not more than 2-3) could have gone to further developp other pokémon, get more out of them, maybe get them a new moves.

    But how do you know you won't be satisfied what it has done by the end of BW? What if it's screentime was just how you wanted and the writers pulled it off despite Ash rotating 7 pokemon?
    That might very well happen. That doesn't mean I have to agree with their choice for that 7th pokémon, when pretty much eveything it could contribute to Ash's team, Snivy could already bring. The League all to themselves argument makes sense, but why not give Ash pokémon with more diversity, more different battling styles... As I said before, if Tepig evolves, Ash will have two fighting types and two grass types on his team. Should he catch Sandile, he'll have 2 dark types to boot...

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3225 View Post
    Well by that logic Shooti can promote the snivy line better than Arti could promote the Kurumiru line since he'll appear in more than atleast 3 episodes.
    1- Starter > Random pokémon line.
    2- Ash already had a Snivy that was underdevelopped and is in need of battles and screentime.

    Without the main girl being a co star the writers will have a lot more time to focus on Ash's pokemon
    Still, the more pokémon you give Ash, the less each individual pokémon will get. I mean, after 18 BW episodes, we have Invisibird who's still looking for its personality, a boring pig, a plotless mijumaru, a Snivy with plot and personality that the writers aren't using and a Zuruggu with a plot and personality that the writers need to address. Instead of working on these guys, fleshing them out, developping their personalities, giving them individual storylines, etc, the writers are giving Ash another pokémon, who lost its personality during its capture episode, was wild and already strong, so no real plot, no real hardships, nothing to overcome.

    It's blah and hopefully, will go the way of Butterfree after evolving. Did I mention I'm really hoping for quick release and never seeing it again?
    Last edited by Hellion; 28th January 2011 at 01:01 PM.

  2. #2702
    8D
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    U.S. Illinois
    Posts
    1,093

    Default Re: Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    and it might happen. So, just because it's not evolving means it should be shafted? The few episodes that will focus on Kurumiru (hopefully not more than 2-3) could have gone to further developp other pokémon, get more out of them, maybe get them a new moves.
    And that could happen still, just in another time. There was a time Buizel was the most awesome pokemon on Ash's team while Chimchar didn't do much. Look how much that has changed. So even if we're not seeing much now from Ash's team, just wait until the end before actually saying Snivy or whoever got the shaft. Because during early DP, I would've never expected Chimchar to dominate as much as it did and for Turtwig to evolve and not get any wins. Sure someone you like could get shafted, but at the same time, it's equally possible for all of them to have decent screentime (and if someone's getting shafted, I'm personally pegging on the bird so Snivy should be fine).

    That might very well happen. That doesn't mean I have to agree with their choice for that 7th pokémon, when pretty much eveything it could contribute to Ash's team, Snivy could already bring. The League all to themselves argument makes sense, but why not give Ash pokémon with more diversity, more different battling styles... As I said before, if Tepig evolves, Ash will have two fighting types and two grass types on his team. Should he catch Sandile, he'll have 2 dark types to boot...
    A Leavanny would be an elegant, yet strong fighter a la Lopunny. Snivy and its evos are snakes that can be speedy. They each bring different elements. Other than attacks such as String Shot and Vine Whip (which I've stated before could be easily resolved), their battling styles can differ so much from each other. Leavanny can fight with its scythes, Snivy with its tail. Leavanny can move gracefully, Snivy can be speedy. Snivy can use Attract, Leavanny can potentially use Shadow Claw. The list can go on and on.

    As for the whole Tepig, Scraggy, Sandile situation. It's easy. A potential Pignite can tackle with physical fire moves like Heat Stamp and Nitro Charge and have moves like Arm Thrust or Heavy Bomber or Take Down. Something to do with its weight. Think of a fiery Donphan.

    A potential Scrafty can have a powerful Head Smash, but also be able to use kicking/punching attacks and dark attacks like Bark Out, Crunch, and/or Payback. It's more of a fighter than Pignite and has its own uniqueness with its dark abilities and its headbutting.

    Sandile and its evos can also use ground/rock moves with like one Foul Play. Level Ground, Knock Down, Stone Edge, Sand Tomb, Rock Tomb, and Dig are all available. More of an earth manipulator.

    And there, 3 pokemon that share types, yet 3 different movesets and battling styles.
    Last edited by Ash6K; 28th January 2011 at 01:17 PM.

  3. #2703
    Child of the Atom Hellion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    The Danger Room
    Posts
    7,083
    Blog Entries
    43

    Default Re: Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ash6K View Post
    And that could happen still, just in another time.
    But that's my point... there's not an infinite number of episodes. There's a set number of episodes. So the more pokémon, the less each gets. They're already doing it with Snivy and Sewaddle, one has personality and a storyline, the other doesn't. One will most likely evolve, the other most likely won't. Plus, their movepool is so similar... So basically, you will have a personality less, plotless pokémon just stealing screentime and battles from a pokémon that's actually engaging to watch... >__>

    A Leavanny would be an elegant
    Elegance and grace is already a defining quality of Snivy's battling style, from the way it dodges, etc.

    their battling styles can differ so much from each other.
    So far they don't and that makes Kurumiru pointless and if we have to rely on it learning Shadow clam to be interesting and different... yeah... I rest my case.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ash6K View Post
    And there, 3 pokemon that share types, yet 3 different movesets and battling styles.
    You know what could be even more different? Not sharing types at all.

  4. #2704
    My Sword Hand Twitches! Owain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Gender
    Genderless
    Location
    Kalos
    Posts
    3,024
    Blog Entries
    67

    Follow Owain on Tumblr

    Default Re: Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post


    So far they don't and that makes Kurumiru pointless and if we have to rely on it learning Shadow clam to be interesting and different... yeah... I rest my case.
    right, one episode.

  5. #2705
    8D
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    U.S. Illinois
    Posts
    1,093

    Default Re: Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    But that's my point... there's not an infinite number of episodes. There's a set number of episodes. So the more pokémon, the less each gets. They're already doing it with Snivy and Sewaddle, one has personality and a storyline, the other doesn't. One will most likely evolve, the other most likely won't. Plus, their movepool is so similar... So basically, you will have a personality less, plotless pokémon just stealing screentime and battles from a pokémon that's actually engaging to watch... >__>
    There's only 7 so far. That's the average number of pokemon Ash has used/caught for mostly all regions. And I didn't know Snivy was able to bite someone on the head. I didn't know Sewaddle knew Attract either. I also didn't know Sewaddle could use its tail as some sort of slamming blade. And even though Sewaddle has Razor Leaf, Snivy's Leaf Storm is more of like a gust of leaves. Razor Leaf can be pictured as like leafy shurikens firing at an opponent. Also different in some sort of way. And Vine Whip and String Shot may be similar in some aspects, but different in others. Vine Whip can actually whip, String Shot can immobilize the foe without Sewaddle being attached to the actual String Shot (unlike Snivy who's still attached to its vines).

    And it's not like their movesets can't change in the near future.

    Elegance and grace is already a defining quality of Snivy's battling style, from the way it dodges, etc.
    True, but the movements can still differ from each other considering their body shapes are different. As I've said before, Leavanny has scythes and longer limbs that differ from Snivy. And Snivy relies on its tail for attacks like Leaf Blade. Leavanny doesn't even have a tail.

    So far they don't and that makes Kurumiru pointless and if we have to rely on it learning Shadow clam to be interesting and different... yeah... I rest my case.
    Because Bug Buzz, Grasswhistle, X-Scissor, Struggle Bug, and Poison Jab are not different from Snivy's moveset right?

    You know what could be even more different? Not sharing types at all.
    Well yeah that's a difference, but types on paper are not everything. Tbh, a pokemon people want instead of Sandile, Gobitto, has a ton of fighting moves/physical moves and has an ability called Iron Fist. While it'd be mainly a puncher, it'd be like watching a pokemon that's part fighting type so move-wise, you also get sharing types. And it's not like Sandile's 100% confirmed anyway.

    EDIT: A note to take note of for this whole debate on redundancy within Ash's team, etc.
    Ash's Pikachu, Sceptile, and Swellow all knew Quick Attack. Swellow and Glalie both used Double Team. Corphish, Donphan, and Torkoal have all used defensive moves (Harden, Defense Curl, and Iron Defense respectively). Pikachu and Staraptor shared Quick Attack. Gliscor and Staraptor had similar moves with their winged attacks. Torterra and Gible had similar moves with Energy Ball and Dragon Pulse being elemental orbs. Gible and Infernape shared Dig. And Infernape, Gible, and Buizel had some sort of punching move in their arsenal of moves. Bottom line, the similarities that can be seen with Sewaddle and Snivy are minor/normal to what we've seen in the past. It should not be a problem.
    Last edited by Ash6K; 28th January 2011 at 01:58 PM.

  6. #2706
    Child of the Atom Hellion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    The Danger Room
    Posts
    7,083
    Blog Entries
    43

    Default Re: Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ash6K View Post
    There's only 7 so far. That's the average number of pokemon Ash has used/caught for mostly all regions.
    Those would be the same regions where there's always 2 or 3 of Ash's pokémon that are severly underdevelopped by the end.

    And it's not like their movesets can't change in the near future.
    Hence why I said so far. But even with all the possible moves you've listed, the two are similar and in direct competition with the other for screentime and battles, because in the types of battles where it made sense to use Snivy, now it makes sense to use Snivy or Sewaddle. The "differences" that might be between the two are minor.

    But I stand by what I said before, Kurumiru is a completely unecessary and pointless addition to Ash's team, on top of losing all personality in the span of one episode and having no plot. It's boring and needs to be released ASAP.

  7. #2707
    8D
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    U.S. Illinois
    Posts
    1,093

    Default Re: Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    Those would be the same regions where there's always 2 or 3 of Ash's pokémon that are severly underdevelopped by the end.
    That may be true for DP. But it wasn't really the number of pokemon that was the main problem considering the big standout was Infernape (with Buizel starring in the first half of DP). If the writers didn't play favorites like they did, we could've seen more of Ash's other pokemon like Gliscor or Torterra and the only underdeveloped on would be Gible because of its late capture.

    As for AG, Ash used 7 pokemon and only one was underdeveloped and could still need more work. Sceptile/Swellow/Corphish had great development. Donphan continued its development from Johto and became one of the reserves a la Snorlax and Heracross. And even though it was a late capture, Glalie already became a stand out in its own league and achieved powerhouse status with a really good battle record. Sure you could say Glalie could use more screentime, but it wasn't that severe and it at least had a gym under its belt as well as training with Ice Beam.

    Besides, this time it's different. Ash is going to rotate his pokemon. We might see them in a more balanced manner than before considering another reason for underdevelopment was the whole switcheroo at Oak's or McCann's during the middle of the past series. One pokemon had to sit out for a long period of time for another. Now, Ash can just freely choose between 7 pokemon without keeping one pokemon at Juniper's for 30+ episodes.

    Hence why I said so far. But even with all the possible moves you've listed, the two are similar and in direct competition with the other for screentime and battles, because in the types of battles where it made sense to use Snivy, now it makes sense to use Snivy or Sewaddle. The "differences" that might be between the two are minor.
    Well the writers are in charge of the battles. They can easily make opponents that only cater to Sewaddle (i.e. psychic pokemon) and make opponents to cater to only Snivy (male pokemon and rock pokemon). They don't need to be in competition with one another and the writers could even let Ash use both pokemon at the same time. Who says all battles are one on one or one pokemon each? There are double battles and battles involving multiple pokemon.

    But I stand by what I said before, Kurumiru is a completely unecessary and pointless addition to Ash's team, on top of losing all personality in the span of one episode and having no plot. It's boring and needs to be released ASAP.
    You don't know that it "lost" its personality by the end of the episode. And again with the whole no plot stuff. It's only been one episode. That can definitely change in the future. It's fine if you don't like Sewaddle but at the same time, the problems and issues you're suggesting have resolutions to them that don't make them a huge deal.

  8. #2708
    Child of the Atom Hellion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    The Danger Room
    Posts
    7,083
    Blog Entries
    43

    Default Re: Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ash6K View Post
    Besides, this time it's different. Ash is going to rotate his pokemon.
    We say that every time...

    You don't know that it "lost" its personality by the end of the episode. And again with the whole no plot stuff. It's only been one episode.
    It was wild and combative. At the end, it wasn't. It was just there in Ash's arm not doing anything really personable, really unique. It's already strong, has no really weakness, has no past that really matters... therefore no plot.

    It's pointless, and instead of giving screentime to pokémon that need it, they're wasting it on Sewaddle...

  9. #2709
    Registered User Matt3225's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,558

    Default Re: Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    We say that every time...
    When have we ever been able to say that? This is the first time Ash has been able to rotate is main team since Krabby. Ash has made it quite clear since Johto the beggining of Johto that He was only using pokemon he captured in the region he was currently in(sans BF)


    Freakin Adorable.

  10. #2710
    Registered User Cascada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Johto
    Posts
    1,461
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

    I personally don't find Snivy to be all that it is hyped to be. Don't get me wrong I like her, however, her most interesting moments were in her capture episode. I don't know whether it's because she took out Shooti's Janovy in BW010, but I'm sure it's screentime won't be affected. I actually liked the fact that Ash had both Bulbasaur and Bayleef, and the fact that Sewaddle is half Bug as well is a major bonus for me. Sewaddle is cute, I love its personality, and I hope it never gets released. But if it does, life goes on, and at least Ash can say that he had one.

    I honestly love Mijumaru, it can have as many battles as it wants, at least it is funny. I think it gets a good amount of screentime because it is actually funny.

    As far as Tepig goes, it will shine. It already has, but as far as personality goes, ehh, it doesn't need to have an outstanding one. Me personally, I love battles, so with some characters like Misty for example, having Psyduck be so funny was a plus, but I didn't hold it against her that the rest of her team didn't have just as much of a personality. Which is why I love Misty, because I honestly thought she had the perfect and most realistic team of a very good trainer. Nothing too over the top, but nothing bland, IMO.

    As for Pidov, same thing applies. I am happy that it's female, it just sucks that it won't have the mask, but I can see it doing some serious damage later on. I normally don't like pidgeons, and besides Swellow, Pidgeot, and Noctowl, it has been pretty hard to look at Staraptor and Pidov at first with a straight face, but I'm use to it. It'll be fine.

    Zuruggu is hilarious! Ash's very first Dark Type is amazing!!! I absolutely love it! <3 I can't wait until we see it develop, and I think it's epic!

    I think it's a shame that some already have a pessimistic view on what is going to happen before it actually does. I think it's best to just live in the moment and enjoy the show for what its worth by taking each episode a week at a time, unless there is an hour special lol!

  11. #2711
    Cuter in real life Iteru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Kent, England
    Posts
    10,733
    Blog Entries
    86

    Default Re: Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

    I actually think that if a rotation system was not put into effect, then Tsutarja would potentially have the most interesting release episode judging from its past of abandoning a previous trainer. As someone who does not like the idea of a rotating team (especially in this partcular saga) I think they could possibly build on the fact that Tsutarja was getting neglected in terms of battling and feeling underappreciated. I've never seen why a Pokémon hasn't left Satoshi on bad terms yet for a sense of realism; people do not always match and so I don't think that Satoshi should always be able to work it out with his Pokémon in the end. However if someone was going to be released I would prefer it to be Kurumiru on the grounds that the current team has not had much focus or individual focus episodes.

  12. #2712
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,102
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Iteru View Post
    I think they could possibly build on the fact that Tsutarja was getting neglected in terms of battling and feeling underappreciated. I've never seen why a Pokémon hasn't left Satoshi on bad terms yet for a sense of realism; people do not always match and so I don't think that Satoshi should always be able to work it out with his Pokémon in the end.
    I was thinking the same thing. It could be a great storyline if written correctly.

  13. #2713
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,211
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Iteru View Post
    . As someone who does not like the idea of a rotating team (especially in this partcular saga)
    Any particular reason why you don't like rotating?

    And why this particular series? Unova brings the most Pokemon out of all the other generations. For Ash not to get more than 5-6 Unova Pokemon is really limiting his choices. Especially when people are already claiming that his team is boring.

    Except somehow Zuruggu.

    I think they could possibly build on the fact that Tsutarja was getting neglected in terms of battling and feeling underappreciated. I've never seen why a Pokémon hasn't left Satoshi on bad terms yet for a sense of realism; people do not always match and so I don't think that Satoshi should always be able to work it out with his Pokémon in the end.
    The problem with that is it makes Ash look like a bad trainer. Ash cares about Pokemon, and even realistically speaking, Snivy releasing itself just wouldn't work and would probably undermine everything that happened in BW007 when Snivy actually agreed to caught by Ash.
    -------------------
    -------------------

    Now, let's talk about this bullshit that is releasing.

    I don't care if you absolutely loathe a Pokemon. Releasing a Pokemon is never a good thing. And I don't know why or understand why ANYONE could EVER condone it.

    We have someone who hates releases, suddenly campaigning that Sewaddle be released, on whatever biased grounds.

    And then we have another user, who is being completely hypocritical about Screen Time and fairness of Pokemon, but says that releasing Sewaddle will solve everything (again for whatever biased reason). Uh NO it won't, all it will do is prove that the writer's don't know how to write screen time for Pokemon.

    Seriously Fandom, WHAT THE HELL?

  14. #2714
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,102
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

    Tsutarja could run away from Satoshi. I dont know.

    I personally hope he keeps Kurumiru.

  15. #2715
    Cuter in real life Iteru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Kent, England
    Posts
    10,733
    Blog Entries
    86

    Default Re: Pokémon Evolution/Capture/Release Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    Any particular reason why you don't like rotating?

    And why this particular series?
    I'm not a fan or rotating for a few reasons. The first is that I'm not a big fan of screetime and focus being divided by larger numbers. I read the pie metaphor earlier, but I'm not too convinced that there would be more pies to fit the demand. In my opinion Mamepato has not been allowed a chance to shine yet and with Zurrugu joining the cast so recently, there seems like too much to deal with now. It's also due to this that I don't believe I will become as attached to the Pokémon on the cast as we won't be seeing them as often. Part of the enjoyment for me in previous sagas was having favourites on the team that I (mainly :P) knew would be there for the saga since their capture, Dodaitoise for example. Finally, not specifically animé related, but I personally never rotate my party members in the game and so I find it strange. That's a pretty weak reason though :P

    Unova brings the most Pokemon out of all the other generations. For Ash not to get more than 5-6 Unova Pokemon is really limiting his choices. Especially when people are already claiming that his team is boring.
    Part of the reason why I think people say his team is boring is that we haven't really seen many episodes focusing on the team members themselves. If we did then they would seem less boring. Another Pokémon such as Kurumiru, in my opinion, lowers the chances of focus happening. The saga could take a turn though and start to do this, it is relatively new so I have my fingers crossed.

    The problem with that is it makes Ash look like a bad trainer.
    In my opinion, it would make him look like a trainer who has some flaws which I think would make him a bit more believable. Things don't always work out in real life and I would love it if that transpired a bit more in the animé.

    Ash cares about Pokemon, and even realistically speaking, Snivy releasing itself just wouldn't work and would probably undermine everything that happened in BW007 when Snivy actually agreed to caught by Ash.
    I understand your point and agree with it to an extent but this was a first impression that Tsutarja had on the first day that it knew about Satoshi. She knew nothing about the inner workings of his team or how he reacts when he loses to trainers etc.

    I also think that because Satoshi does care about his Pokémon, he would understand that he could possibly be taking on too much by having a rotation system and realise why Tsutarja wants to go. It would be a nice bit of development and reaffirm the "do what's best for your Pokémon" message that the show has portrayed.

    Again, I don't think this will actually happen but if a release were to occur then I think this would be the most interesting and beneficial for Satoshi as a character ^^

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •