• 1 Post By Charmander4
  • 1 Post By Charmander4
  • 2 Post By Dogasu
  • 1 Post By Charmander4
  • 1 Post By Charmander4
  • 1 Post By Dogasu

Thread: Paint Edits to BW116

Default Paint Edits to BW116

BW116, the Charizard return episode, has a few outrageous paint errors in it, esepcially during the flashback sequences. Ash's Pidgeotto, a Pokemon not referened for almost 15 years, is seen again, but looks like a mini-Pidgeot due to the feathers being colored as such. This is one of the most nagging errors ever and I'd like to see paint edits done to correct this, and other errors like Aerodactyl having the wrong colored claw (colored like Charizard and not gray) for the dub and for future airings. Thoughts?

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

Default Re: Paint Edits to BW116

I dunno. Has the current dub ever fixed any animation errors before? I remember a lot of errors making it in the dub.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary View Post
    I dunno. Has the current dub ever fixed any animation errors before? I remember a lot of errors making it in the dub.
    I'm not entirely sure, 4Kids would do paint edits though I'm not sure if any of them corrected anything. The Japanese animators aren't opposed to doing things like these either, since they re-animated Jynx in Holiday Hi-Jynx to be purple and that would be far more work than correcting a few errors in this episode.

Usually things like this I would shrug off, since we're all human, but this instance of screwing up flashbacks that they specifically tried to make as accurate as possible is just sloppy. Ash's sleeve being mis-colored in one of them is a goof-up, but miscoloring Pidgeotto and Aerodactyl? Unacceptable, IMHO.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I don't think they've corrected paint errors made by the raw before. It'll be a while before they get to that ep regardless, and chances are, they're probably already working on it, or are done already. I can't find the capacity to care because this whole gen has been an atrocious retcon to me.
    Step into the Fairy circle

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

The only paint edits I know made to correct errors in the original version are when the English is incorrect, but even that's rare.

Don't expect TPCI to go to the trouble of "fixing" BW 116.
    97SaturnSL1 and martianmister like this.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I do know that they've fixed paint errors in openings before, like a miscolored Blastoise jaw in the Challenger Opening. Probably because people will see them week to week. Little paint errors in episodes? Probably not, unless they release them on DVD which is apparently rare in Japan for Pokemon?

There's one Battle Frontier episode with, like, five miscolored Pokemon hanging out in the background of one shot, and they never fixed that as far as I know, so I don't see why they'd fix this one, regardless if it's "important" characters.

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Tendou Soujirou
    I do know that they've fixed paint errors in openings before, like a miscolored Blastoise jaw in the Challenger Opening
    And even then, that was done in Japan, not by the English dubbers.

The dub never goes to the trouble of fixing animation errors. They've got enough to worry about as it is.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

In light of BW116 airing today, incredibly, there WERE some paint edits! Pidgeotto's feathers (the worst error, IMO) and Aerodactyl's leg were corrected. Who else was surprised?

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Charmander4 View Post
    In light of BW116 airing today, incredibly, there WERE some paint edits! Pidgeotto's feathers (the worst error, IMO) and Aerodactyl's leg were corrected. Who else was surprised?
    I was extremely shocked. It seems like TPCi was actually trying this dub episode. That's pretty rare for them, IMO. ;)

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Are you sure it was TCPI?

This reminds me of the time the Croagunk Festival in DP was edited, and everyone thought it was the dubbers till it was revealed it was fixed for the DVD version too in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendou Soujirou View Post
    Are you sure it was TCPI?

This reminds me of the time the Croagunk Festival in DP was edited, and everyone thought it was the dubbers till it was revealed it was fixed for the DVD version too in Japan.
    Who knows if the dub did it, but it's pretty shocking it was done regardless. Perhaps they read the complaints or maybe they themselves were embarrassed. I can understand Ash's sleeve slipping by, but Pidgeotto and Aerodactyl, Pokémon that have existed for nearly 20 years?

Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

I'd say there's a 95% chance that the animation errors were fixed before TPCI got their copy of the episode to dub.

Remember, this episode was more scrutinized than most because of all the original series flashbacks, meaning that the animation errors also got more attention than they usually do. It wouldn't have taken much for OLM to go in and fix these highly publicized errors.
    Adyniz likes this.

Blog Entries

The dub does repaint certain scenes, usually just ones that contain a sign with Japanese writing on or things like that. I don't think they'd care too much about it really. Most people wont notice stuff like this at all.

I wonder if they do it for the Rotom episode...