Old Characters Need To Return - Page 3

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Old Characters Need To Return

Blog Entries

Default Re: Old Characters Need To Return

Quote Originally Posted by Chiplet View Post
    Oh, by the way, wasn't it confirmed in an interview that Misty was never going to come back to the animé? If that's the case, then that would probably affect all the other characters as well, unfortunately.
    The interview with Masamitsu Hidaka only ruled out a permanent return to the main cast. A temporary return was actually noted as a possibility:
    What about the main cast on the show? Since he had talked about how they like to “switch them up,” I explained to him that many fans want Ash, Misty, and Brock reunited again together. But, he reaffirmed what he said in the previous interview and said it wasn’t going to happen. I asked him what he meant in the previous interview about Pokemon Contests, and he said he just meant that characters like May have come back for a few episodes in Pokemon Contests, so Misty could come back too. He said, however, that Contests don’t appear to be her thing, so if she were to come back, it would probably be to join Ash in a battle or to just meet them somewhere.
    martianmister likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    Oh, by the way, wasn't it confirmed in an interview that Misty was never going to come back to the animé? If that's the case, then that would probably affect all the other characters as well, unfortunately.
    The interview with Masamitsu Hidaka only ruled out a permanent return to the main cast. A temporary return was actually noted as a possibility:
    What about the main cast on the show? Since he had talked about how they like to “switch them up,” I explained to him that many fans want Ash, Misty, and Brock reunited again together. But, he reaffirmed what he said in the previous interview and said it wasn’t going to happen. I asked him what he meant in the previous interview about Pokemon Contests, and he said he just meant that characters like May have come back for a few episodes in Pokemon Contests, so Misty could come back too. He said, however, that Contests don’t appear to be her thing, so if she were to come back, it would probably be to join Ash in a battle or to just meet them somewhere.
    Ah, that's right! That's the one.

Well, that's a relief to hear, then I guess there's always a chance, even though it's slim.
    ''A single thread in a tapestry though its color brightly shine, can never see its purpose, in the pattern of the grand design.''

The sound of drums
    Blog Entries

again i mention about the world tournament and misty, but I never explain may, well that's because I dind't think of anything that could help her return (unless of RSE remake), and i did had a dream were the wt was going to happen in a year and that to enter ash HAD to participate in the grand festival and then may appear helping him having the same problem only that this time it was a league, but that feels SSSSSOOOOOO farfetch and only is the product of my imagination(suddendly im feeling like im seeing barney) and so i think that misty has much MUCH more change that may even if misty chances are low

Blog Entries

The misty love even now is astounding. She's been gone for 10 years with a steady job at the gym. Given how busy most Gym leaders who are serious about their jobs, AKA someone like Misty, I doubt they'd have much time to go frolic around in Unova. As people have already said the junior cup is our representation of the PWT from the games. If anyone should come back now it would be someone who both does not have something that takes up all their time and has the desire and capability to travel. Only MC from the past that has even the slightest chance of returning outside fan fantasies would be May. Even then I'm not counting on it. Let's just all look forward to iris coming back next gen hopefully with her axew evolved and dragonite fully obedient.
    Caseydia likes this.

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jasmine's role wasn't really that random, considering that she actualled had a minor role in the D/P games, participating in contests as well as actually staying at the Sunyshore Beach.

Jessiebelle is a character of no significant importance, just meant for comic relief, and does in no way affect the animé in the same way as previous protagonists do. And the same goes for Butch and Cassidy, who by the way actually showed up in every generation up 'til BW. That's like a trend like the cross-dressing thing. :3
    Which is my point. If minor, on first look insignificant characters who were absent for years can return, there is no reason why someone like Misty, Brock, May etc couldn't as well. Whether character will return or not depends on how relevant and beneficial to current plot he can be, and whether his story can be advanced through it or not.

As far as Jasmine role goes it was very minor, yet writers still used her for advertizing purposes. And if she could be reused, there is no reason why someone much more popular and iconic like Misty and Brock couldn't as well, now that they are in new games.

People usually say how May is destined to return for promotion if RS remakes happen, but truth to be told same applies to other characters if they appear again in games.

Like Silktree already mentioned, appearance was never ruled out with statement how Misty will never be seen again, being nothing more than fans assumption based on nothing.
    In theory even return to main cast is possible, if writers change their mind for some reason. They break patterns established in past all the time, and i still believe they might be reunited for final saga of anime whenever that happens, to pave tribute to anime roots gathering those who started it.

Highly unlikely, but in my book its not impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    The misty love even now is astounding. She's been gone for 10 years with a steady job at the gym. Given how busy most Gym leaders who are serious about their jobs, AKA someone like Misty, I doubt they'd have much time to go frolic around in Unova. As people have already said the junior cup is our representation of the PWT from the games. If anyone should come back now it would be someone who both does not have something that takes up all their time and has the desire and capability to travel.
    Just like gym didn't stopped Misty from traveling all the way to Hoenn to release Togetic, it surely wouldn't stop writers to bring her in Unova either.

Arguments like "distance", "current occupation"etc are artificial excuses not representing any obstacle as long writers would create something which would be beneficial for their stories and plot of current series. Dawn recent return proved that.

Especially when we take in account how one of reasons why Misty left gym to travel in first place was to accomplish her goal of becoming water master which cannot be achieved at gym, with main reason behind stay being necessity and lack of substitute(something which can be easily fixed if writers decide to revive character again).

Likewise we already saw how various gym leaders leave their position to travel for shorter or long periods to improve their skills, develop new battling styles and learn more(like,Fantina, Cilan, Candice etc),so there is no reason why Misty wouldnt as well. I could easily see her following eventually Wallace footsteps, going on journey to advance as trainer and learn things she can't at gym.
    Even more so when something as world tournament events are enough prestigious and big to warrant making long journey to distant regions, offering outlet through which Misty can become relevant and advertize new games, along with actually advancing her carer of becoming strongest water trainer in world.

Additionally since we know how BW pokemon can't be obtained outside of home region due to isolation and long distance gives another justification for Misty return. Being to enrich team and explore new pokemon native to Unova.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    Which is my point. If minor, on first look insignificant characters who were absent for years can return, there is no reason why someone like Misty, Brock, May etc couldn't as well. Whether character will return or not depends on how relevant and beneficial to current plot he can be, and whether his story can be advanced through it or not.
    What I meant is that it's much easier for characters with no significant importance in the animé to return rather than previous protagonists who will affect the animé in a huge way. Character who really have no importance whatsoever can easily be brought up again, regardless of the story point in the animé, as they really won't play any huge role in it all.

As far as Jasmine role goes it was very minor, yet writers still used her for advertizing purposes. And if she could be reused, there is no reason why someone much more popular and iconic like Misty and Brock couldn't as well, now that they are in new games.
    Which is my point exactly. It's much easier to throw in a character like her instead of major characters. Besides, her role in the games might have been minor, but was still much bigger than Misty's role in BW2. Misty was just one of 46 gym leaders.
    Last edited by Chiplet; 10th October 2012 at 02:50 PM.
    HumanDawn likes this.
    ''A single thread in a tapestry though its color brightly shine, can never see its purpose, in the pattern of the grand design.''

Blog Entries

Which is my point exactly. It's much easier to throw in a character like her instead of major characters. Besides, her role in the games might have been minor, but was still much bigger than Misty's role in BW2. Misty was just one of 46 gym leaders.
    I still don't see any real issue in here. If writers had no problems including previous traveling companions before when they made appearance, it surely wouldn't be too hard to include them again.

They could always bring them to do more with story like they did when Misty released Togetic, to influence story of new character helping him advance like May did with Dawn etc. And audience would likely be more interested in seeing older characters creating special arcs around it, than wasting it on random filler dealing with COTD ad pokemon problems.
    How hard its going to be fit previous companions into current storyline also depends on plot and place where events take place.

As we know in HGSS remakes Misty didn't really played any special role just being featured as one of gym leaders to battle against. However in BW 2 games, since she will actually be part of something big,/tournament which is hosted by Cynthia gives her more of role and opportunity to become relevant to pokemon again if new features in games got carried on anime storyline itself. Opportunity to be one of vectors helping to advance whole thing forward, with participation. Which isn't farfetched to expect, because there isn't enough new gym leaders nor some new quest in form of Battle Frontier which Ash could do for filler arc.
    She has more than enough reason to comeback having actual marketing potential and enough popularity for writers to capitalize on that .

Especially when Misty in comparison to Jasmine is much more recognized and popular, leaving infinitely bigger impact on anime.
    If she doesn't return , only real obstacle for that is writers reluctance to return previous companion.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 11th October 2012 at 04:21 AM.

Blog Entries

Visit Sweenix's Youtube Channel

OMG!! MAY!!! please, i am so hoping for a R/S Remake... CMONN!!!! rawrrr D:
    The Master likes this.
    Proud Advance/Amour/Final Fantasy Shipper :)

Serebii | Youtube | Advancers | IGN | Ubiforums

Quote Originally Posted by ❤Haruka❤ View Post
    OMG!! MAY!!! please, i am so hoping for a R/S Remake... CMONN!!!! rawrrr D:
    I can't believe people are still on about that. It looks more like they might do a gen 6 game over a R/S remake. Besides, that game doesn't need a remake. They were very good compared to the older ones.

Follow Dragonite Postal Service on Tumblr Follow Dragonite Postal Service on Flickr

Does anyone feel like the writers where too lazy to develop the stories of Ash's past companions which is why they just keep giving him new ones? Like with Brock for example, he wants to learn to be a Pokemon doctor so they could of easily had him receive training from the different Nurse Joy's in Unova or maybe have a top medical school in Unova that he could of stayed at for a while then eventually gone out in the field with Ash to get further experience! I've been watching Best Wishes and I feel like many of the characters are simply recycled versions of past characters.

I think the majority of fans do like old characters and would love to see them return and it would be more than possible if the writers put some more effort in. I still enjoy the series but I don't feel it as entertaining as it used to be, at times I rather watch old episodes since I find them just as or more entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Eevee View Post
    I know it usually happens every season, but I think it would be awesome if May, Misty, Dawn, Brock or even Gary made an appearance in the Best Wishes series. I heard that Dawn has showed up, but Australia has only aired up to the episode "Ash and Trip's Third Battle", so I don't know for certain.
    You could always watch them online, there's many sites that are up to date with the US.
    Caseydia and pokemon fan 132 like this.

Blog Entries

I still don't see any real issue in here. If writers had no problems including previous traveling companions before when they made appearance, it surely wouldn't be too hard to include them again.
    Every girl had at least one cameo in the next generation, except for Misty who had two (with one being rather minor), it's a trend. Iris will surely get a cameo too once she leaves.

They could always bring them to do more with story like they did when Misty released Togetic, to influence story of new character helping him advance like May did with Dawn etc. And audience would likely be more interested in seeing older characters creating special arcs around it, than wasting it on random filler dealing with COTD ad pokemon problems.
    But are you aware of the preassure the writers are forced to go through once they actually bring back an old protagonist? They influence the story in a completely different way compared to characters like Jasmine, Jessiebelle or others, who all are characters that no one particulary cares that much about compared to actual story protagonists. The fans have expectations, the story has to be reasonable, and it has to somehow promote the game in way or another, as long as it's not the usual previous-generation-girl-cameo.
    How hard its going to be fit previous companions into current storyline also depends on plot and place where events take place.

As we know in HGSS remakes Misty didn't really played any special role just being featured as one of gym leaders to battle against. However in BW 2 games, since she will actually be part of something big,/tournament which is hosted by Cynthia gives her more of role and opportunity to become relevant to pokemon again if new features in games got carried on anime storyline itself. Opportunity to be one of vectors helping to advance whole thing forward, with participation. Which isn't farfetched to expect, because there isn't enough new gym leaders nor some new quest in form of Battle Frontier which Ash could do for filler arc.
    Misty's role in HGSS was much bigger than the role in BW2. In HGSS, the player actually got the chance to have a dialogue with Misty a couple of times, and not just before the battle started and was finished, which pretty much is the only time you get to speak with her in BW2. That's not a big role. The World Cup might be a big tournament, but it has already been played out in the animé, and even if something similiar was to take place again Misty would still just be one among 45 other Gym Leaders, and as their characters would require attention too Misty's presence would soon fade away with all of them being there. Besides, the BW2 games have been out in Japan for about 4 months now, so why would they bother promoting it in the animé now?

Especially when Misty in comparison to Jasmine is much more recognized and popular, leaving infinitely bigger impact on anime.
    Exactly, and that is not necessarily especially good for the animé, depending on how the writers actually decide to handle her character. After all, it's been seven years since she last appeared. Not being able to keep up with the fans' expectations for her character might not be all too well.
    HumanDawn likes this.

Blog Entries

Every girl had at least one cameo in the next generation, except for Misty who had two (with one being rather minor), it's a trend. Iris will surely get a cameo too once she leaves.
    Meaning how there is no reason why character which left cast and returned once, couldn't return again.

But are you aware of the preassure the writers are forced to go through once they actually bring back an old protagonist? They influence the story in a completely different way compared to characters like Jasmine, Jessiebelle or others, who all are characters that no one particulary cares that much about compared to actual story protagonists. The fans have expectations, the story has to be reasonable, and it has to somehow promote the game in way or another, as long as it's not the usual previous-generation-girl-cameo.
    And they didn't had to adjust story to provide reasoning behind aforementioned characters returns, remind audience who they were, in what way they were relevant to Ash and other character stories?
    When your bringing past character there is always risk involved but so is with new characters who aren't popular among kids taking some time for them to grow accustomed ,and view them relevant.
    Advantage older characters have over new ones is how they proven to be successful and well received in past, making less risky for writers to revive them as well having background(popularity among fans=serving as stepping stone to have them become quickly accepted among new generations).

Past shows how return of major characters who left cast is usually well received with writers being capable of creating story through which someone return can be justified, serving as pretty good indication how if Misty, May etc returned again critics from fandom would more likely than not be positive.
    I don't even need to remind how advertizing is only additional bonus, because when we exclude Jasmine, Misty cameo in Pallet and May's in Wallace Cup most other older characters which returned weren't even present in games not being requirement for someones return.

As of right now if continuation of world tournament happens, it provides plausible way and less effort for return of older characters like Misty since there is no need to create completely new storyline centered around her, when main base through which someone story could be advanced while influencing main plot is already covered through games.

Misty's role in HGSS was much bigger than the role in BW2. In HGSS, the player actually got the chance to have a dialogue with Misty a couple of times, and not just before the battle started and was finished, which pretty much is the only time you get to speak with her in BW2. That's not a big role. The World Cup might be a big tournament, but it has already been played out in the animé, and even if something similiar was to take place again Misty would still just be one among 45 other Gym Leaders, and as their characters would require attention too Misty's presence would soon fade away with all of them being there.
    That wasn't my point. Im talking about importance of story in which older characters are in games involved, and way through which they could help to move story forward. Which is world tournament.

When speaking of adaptation of world tournament, if continuation does happen there is no need to include all past gym leaders either, doing selection by including those from which anime and story could benefit the most. If anyone were to get recognition from past gym leaders it would be Misty and Brock because they were much more important to this show being main characters at one point. Their return would create bigger benefit to pokemon series than random return of some minor gym leader long forgotten from past. They are original traveling companions, has huge following with many demanding their return and this would be perfect opportunity for writers to make them relevant to series again thanks to their popularity and iconic status.

Besides, the BW2 games have been out in Japan for about 4 months now, so why would they bother promoting it in the animé now?
    Because world tournament from games is only thing Nintendo offered on table for writers to use, before new games comes out(which wont be at least until september of 2013).
    Which leads me to believe how concept of world tournament divided in several small tournaments might become reality in filler arc, with some of previous major characters from past arcs appearing there.There simply doesn't exist enough material to support filler arc right now, so its not so incredible to expect other older friends coming back after Dawn as well.

Exactly, and that is not necessarily especially good for the animé, depending on how the writers actually decide to handle her character. After all, it's been seven years since she last appeared. Not being able to keep up with the fans' expectations for her character might not be all too well.
    Just like its situation with any other fandom, majority only wants fresh material and to see something new done with character,.
    Writers weren't sure if they would be able to please fandom before either, but going by her cameos and hosos majority liked when something new was done with Misty with writers being able to meet their expectations, so i don't really see issue in bringing character back again.

On other hand letting people favorites fading away forgotten like they never existed, creates opposite effect bringing disappointment and displeasure from fans.

Blog Entries

Meaning how there is no reason why character which left cast and returned once, couldn't return again.
    When they aren't a character from the previous generation, who kids watching don't know about, I see no point in bringing them back.

When your bringing past character there is always risk involved but so is with new characters who aren't popular among kids taking some time for them to grow accustomed ,and view them relevant.
    The audience is changing, therefore, the animé is also changing. Lots of children watching don't even know who May, Misty or Max are. They're just used to Dawn, Brock, Iris and Dento, because they weren't watching when they were around. Bringing up such old characters would confuse them, because it's not like 6-8 year olds bothers going to internet y'know, and that's also a reason to why the writers won't air the Team Plasma two-parter. It'll cause confusion.

Past shows how return of major characters who left cast is usually well received with writers being capable of creating story through which someone return can be justified, serving as pretty good indication how if Misty, May etc returned again critics from fandom would more likely than not be positive.
    But the writers are also changing, y'know. Besides, bring back old characters is a huge risk. If they don't succeed in entertainig the old fans, they'll only lose lots of fans.

I don't even need to remind how advertizing is only additional bonus, because when we exclude Jasmine, Misty cameo in Pallet and May's in Wallace Cup most other older characters which returned weren't even present in games not being requirement for someones return.
    Trend. Just sayin'.

[QUOTE]As of right now if continuation of world tournament happens, it provides plausible way and less effort for return of older characters like Misty since there is no need to create completely new storyline centered around her, when main base through which someone story could be advanced while influencing main plot is already covered through games.[/QUOTES]

What are your plans for this world tournament? Is Ash going to participate? I just want to hear what you have planned.

When speaking of adaptation of world tournament, if continuation does happen there is no need to include all past gym leaders either, doing selection by including those from which anime and story could benefit the most. If anyone were to get recognition from past gym leaders it would be Misty and Brock because they were much more important to this show being main characters at one point. Their return would create bigger benefit to pokemon series than random return of some minor gym leader long forgotten from past. They are original traveling companions, has huge following with many demanding their return and this would be perfect opportunity for writers to make them relevant to series again thanks to their popularity and iconic status.
    When did OS end in Japan now again? I mean, you said ''relevant''.

Because world tournament from games is only thing Nintendo offered on table for writers to use, before new games comes out(which wont be at least until september of 2013).
    Which leads me to believe how concept of world tournament divided in several small tournaments might become reality in filler arc, with some of previous major characters from past arcs appearing there.There simply doesn't exist enough material to support filler arc right now, so its not so incredible to expect other older friends coming back after Dawn as well.
    What about the Orange League? Wasn't that an animé thing only? In that case, why wouldn't the writers be able to do the same thing here?

Just like its situation with any other fandom, majority only wants fresh material and to see something new done with character,.
    Writers weren't sure if they would be able to please fandom before either, but going by her cameos and hosos majority liked when something new was done with Misty with writers being able to meet their expectations, so i don't really see issue in bringing character back again.
    That's because you're not a writer, but just a huge fan of an old character that you desperately want to see again.

Blog Entries

Best case scenario is if hey take the World championship from Black & White 2 and adapt it into the show-then there would be no excuse for at least some of the older characters to not return(unless the writers were really, REALLY dumb.)

otherwise, all we can do is hope for a sequel to Chronicles.
    Last edited by fawfulmark2; 11th October 2012 at 08:45 PM.

Blog Entries

People seemed to have learner their lesson about getting too attached to certain characters other than ash pikachu and team rocket after may left. I don't really see many people wanting anyone from DP onwards to return in the future.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast