Old Characters Need To Return - Page 2

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Old Characters Need To Return

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Default Re: Old Characters Need To Return

Dawn appeared for the Junior Cup and Brock also appeared somewhere in Dawn's flashback when they were complimenting Cilan's cooking. Personally, I think we had enough of Brock up to DP, so a flashback would suffice.

Though, I would love to see Tracey and Gary make an appearance :)

The sound of drums
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    The mere fact that the "World Tournament" was turned into the Junior Cup in the anime shows the writers couldn't care less about focusing on older characters.

Dawn was only there for the usual regional token girl cameo.
    but WERE THE HELL does it says that junior cup is the world tournament

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The mere fact that the "World Tournament" was turned into the Junior Cup in the anime shows the writers couldn't care less about focusing on older characters.

Dawn was only there for the usual regional token girl cameo.
    Except we don't know if Junior Cup was whole there was to it when it comes to world tournament adaptation.

Junior Cup wasn't something you could call world tournament having very small organization for something which is supposed to be on global basis. There were basically no trainers from other regions and whole name of it implies how there might be more tournaments in future, with real adaptation of world competition likely being saved to happen after league if writers follow this route.

Lack of any other older characters in Junior Cup doesn't imply anything, because Dawn was expected to return before anyone else since she didn't got usual follow up after departure. Not to mention returning several previous characters at same time would clash with focus they would get, making place crowded.
    If writers planned to bring more older characters, logic says there would be gaps between it.

Like someone already mentioned, i also believe Misty might have chance to return in BW2 filler arc after Unova league for multiple reasons. First she is in new games competing in world tournament so writers could us her to help promote games and judging by high demand for return this could bring boost to ratings too. Also traveling to Unova or through Kanto to compete in world competitions would help her a lot to advance her own dream of becoming water master improving skills, with BW2 providing outlet through which she can become important to story again. Its been a long time since we saw her and it would be refreshing to see familiar face again getting some update, battle, use new pokemon and bring breath of fresh air in cast with flamboyant and playful personality knowing how to spice things up.

Add Chiss on Facebook

The only one that has even a 5% chance of returning is Takeshi. Hikari already came back, so I counted her out.
    The others are waaay too far back. It would be too much of a hassle to get all of the voice actors together and/or write them into an episode when a good percentage of their viewing audience wouldn't recognize them.
    Caseydia likes this.

Blog Entries

@Kimchikid: To be honest they don't need to return everyone at same time. They could return some of older characters, saving others for later. Right now because of marketing potential, presence in new games and benefit world tournament could bring to their story i think Brock and Misty have most chance to return. While May biggest chance is if RS remakes get released.

Granted some of new kids may not know who som of this characters are, but i don't really see that as huge issue.
    Most kids back than in DP didn't knew about Gary, Jasmin, Butch and Cassidy too yet writers had no problems in bringing them back. If they find older character might be beneficial for current storyline or decide to do something with him(like they did with Giovanni revival), they wont really hesitate on bringing them back whether today kids may know about them or not.

Beside we don't know for sure if today generations know about older characters or not. Basing on my personal experience people would be surprised how much today kids are familiar with previous traveling companions.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kimchikid View Post
    The only one that has even a 5% chance of returning is Takeshi. Hikari already came back, so I counted her out.
    The others are waaay too far back. It would be too much of a hassle to get all of the voice actors together and/or write them into an episode when a good percentage of their viewing audience wouldn't recognize them.
    Brocks cameo was dawns flashbacks. That's all were gonna get of him.
    Caseydia likes this.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    Brocks cameo was dawns flashbacks. That's all were gonna get of him.
    Yeah, it strangely reminds me of how Max was treated in DP. They bring back the main girl (May and Dawn), but the male sidekick just gets a silent cameo, (Max and Brock).

I wouldn't mind seeing Brock again for a few episodes and to see how his doctor goal has progressed but I don't see it as being likely.

Blog Entries

I doubt that we'll ever see any of the older characters come back ever again, even though I certainly wouldn't mind seeing either May, Brock or Max again. It seems rather useless now, as it really won't promote the games or anything.

Dawn's cameo was understandable, as it is a trend to bring back the previous female protagonist in every new series, but the chances for the others to appear again are rather slim in my book. I'd say that even Dawn's character is officially over with now, but I don't know for a fact obviously.
    Caseydia likes this.
    ''A single thread in a tapestry though its color brightly shine, can never see its purpose, in the pattern of the grand design.''

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chiplet View Post
    I doubt that we'll ever see any of the older characters come back ever again, even though I certainly wouldn't mind seeing either May, Brock or Max again. It seems rather useless now, as it really won't promote the games or anything.

Dawn's cameo was understandable, as it is a trend to bring back the previous female protagonist in every new series, but the chances for the others to appear again are rather slim in my book. I'd say that even Dawn's character is officially over with now, but I don't know for a fact obviously.
    Agreed, even Gary has vanished from the series again, which makes me believe his DP appearances were basically cameos to end his character with. He only did appear in 3 DP episodes anyway.

Sadly I doubt Paul will ever appear again either, unlike Gary he's not connected to another major character like Prof. Oak. Oh well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chiplet View Post

Agreed, even Gary has vanished from the series again, which makes me believe his DP appearances were basically cameos to end his character with. He only did appear in 3 DP episodes anyway.

Sadly I doubt Paul will ever appear again either, unlike Gary he's not connected to another major character like Prof. Oak. Oh well.
    We don't need paul himself to show up, they just need to make the new rival from the next saga ridiculously overpowered and a total jerk to boot and the fans will lap it up.
    Caseydia and Chiss like this.

Blog Entries

Follow Madame Pika on Tumblr

I wouldn't say that any old characters NEED to show up but that it would be nice... once the writing improves (even if it's just back to Houen standards, please.) The show can be entertaining without them but they can shake things up and it doesn't hurt to see them either.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Eevee View Post
    I know it usually happens every season, but I think it would be awesome if May, Misty, Dawn, Brock or even Gary made an appearance in the Best Wishes series. I heard that Dawn has showed up, but Australia has only aired up to the episode "Ash and Trip's Third Battle", so I don't know for certain.
    Best Wishes is almost at it's peak. If they barely did Dawn right, maybe it might be better to have them show up somewhere else. Or not at all. I don't see what's wrong with the characters they already have now. Cilan brings comedy while Iris brings originality as well as bad critism and there is Ash always, so I don't think there is a need for it right now.
    PockyAddict likes this.

Blog Entries

I'd love to see old characters return. Yes, Dawn did reappear for the Junior Cup but she was owed a cameo, so it can't be taken as a hopeful sign for any other character. I'd love to see Misty return the most, the others I admittedly like less and she is the character that's been offscreen the longest now.

Still, I doubt it's going to happen anytime soon.

Sorry :/

Blog Entries

Whenever older characters are brought up, people try to question motives, "how its unneeded"etc with such an approach only furthering negative view imo and way in which anime headed having intermittent connections with past, very little continuity and lack of cohesive and stable storyline. Which is anything but good, giving bad message.

Incentive behind older characters coming back is in investing more in someone who proved to be successful and likable doing more with already established characters.
    -to give them update, how much they changed and provide fresh, exciting and unexpected twist to current formula adding life to current dynamic.
    - To exploit more on character story(there are several unresolved and unexplored things about her)doing sequel, and establish friendship between past and recent traveling companion for continuity purposes.
    -to please fandom creating boost in TV ratings. Judging by Misty, Dawn or May past cameos,such events guarantee older fans being more attracted toward anime increasing ratings.
    -to promote games. Yes older characters can advertize games if they are involved in them. And way i see it Brock and Misty now have marketing value to help promote them.

Pokemon anime is still treated as on show with continuity and Ash as its driving force, and because of that doors on any past main characters revival will never be closed.

I don't see why its impossible that older companions make appearance. Examples of ancient old Johto gym leader like Jasmine randomly appearing in DP, Jessibelle who was minor Kanto character coming back after 11 years, Gary whose rivalry with Ash concluded long ago coming in Sinoh after disappearing for whole Hoenn, Butch and Cassidy randomly returning in DP etc show how long absence means nothing and how writers can always bring back character if they find his return could help advance current story or his own.
    5 years ago no one expected that Giovanni will be seen ever again, and in BW he was revived(brought from dead) playing important role in story.

So if such minor characters can return, older ex main characters who are actually far more popular and significant to pokemon series than this examples were can surely return as well, only guaranteeing to bring success and benefit for pokemon.

Unpredictable surprises are key in keeping anime fresh and exciting, and return of older characters would ultimately make anime attracting to wider group of people. Judging by hype Dawn return created both among older fans and kids, shows how welcomed return of older companions is .
    Madame Pika likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    I don't see why its impossible that older companions make appearance. Examples of ancient old Johto gym leader like Jasmine randomly appearing in DP, Jessibelle who was minor Kanto character coming back after 11 years, Gary whose rivalry with Ash concluded long ago coming in Sinoh after disappearing for whole Hoenn, Butch and Cassidy randomly returning in DP etc show how long absence means nothing and how writers can always bring back character if they find his return could help advance current story or his own.
    5 years ago no one expected that Giovanni will be seen ever again, and in BW he was revived(brought from dead) playing important role in story
    Jasmine's role wasn't really that random, considering that she actualled had a minor role in the D/P games, participating in contests as well as actually staying at the Sunyshore Beach.

Jessiebelle is a character of no significant importance, just meant for comic relief, and does in no way affect the animé in the same way as previous protagonists do. And the same goes for Butch and Cassidy, who by the way actually showed up in every generation up 'til BW. That's like a trend like the cross-dressing thing. :3

I can agree with you on Gary though, even though he's role either isn't as big as the role for a protagonist and thus wouldn't affect the animé in the same way.

Giovanni is related to Team Rocket. Giving him the chance to actually have a major apperance in the animé was a positive surprise, but not necessarily in a chocking way, but more like a ''FINALLY!''. He always has been tied to TR.

Oh, by the way, wasn't it confirmed in an interview that Misty was never going to come back to the animé? If that's the case, then that would probably affect all the other characters as well, unfortunately.
    Last edited by Chiplet; 9th October 2012 at 02:34 PM.
    Caseydia likes this.
    ''A single thread in a tapestry though its color brightly shine, can never see its purpose, in the pattern of the grand design.''

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast