Official Pokémon Black & White Title Announcement Thread #2 - Page 2

Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Like Tree264Likes

Thread: Official Pokémon Black & White Title Announcement Thread #2

Blog Entries

Default Re: Official New Dub Episode Title Announcement Thread 2

I'll just CP my post here then.

"The new titles remind me of the revamped titles for Dragonball Z Kai episodes in the states. No use of puns, and it's mostly a direct translation of the raw episodes.

If this continues for the rest of BW, that would be great. Now I'm optimistic toward the dubbing. "

And hopefully that dubbing will include the BW opening, which DBZKai also did.

ロケット団よ永遠 Dogasu's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Dogasu On Twitter

It'd be nice if they did something like that, but I learned a long time ago not to expect too much from this dub. We'll probably get the same type of 30 second openings, replaced music, awkward re-writes, and other things that the dub's always had.

Decent titles do not equal good dubbing.
    Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on April 14th, 2014

| My DVD Collection | My Video Game Collection |
    These lists were last updated on January 3rd, 2012

Blog Entries

I wonder if these titles mean they are getting rid of the puns.

amazing Meron's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Meron On Twitter

The first episodes of the Pokémon dub had accurate translations for the titles as well, before they started having these obscure puns as titles. But yeah, I am kind of hopeful that they will continue the same path... What was with the puns anyway? Who liked them?

y team

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Meron View Post
    What was with the puns anyway? Who liked them?
    I did. The Grass Menagerie was a stroke of genius. The titles were all great except the ones that weren't, which was a lot, especially near the end of DP.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

Don't jump to conclusions just from these first two titles... it's very likely they'll return to their usual puns a few eps later (or even the very next one)
    Though I do hope they'll continue direct translating the normal-sounding Japanese titles... back when I translated for the Hebrew dub, I changed some ep titles to the original but for some reason Disney Channel insisted to change it back to direct translation of the English titles, despite how ridiculous it sounds ("Jumping on Rockets" for the third Barry ep... a title that made it sound as if Aaron is Wurmple's father... wtf...)

Super Moderator Paperhorse's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Paperhorse on Tumblr

I'm really happy with these new titles. They are nice and simple! This gives me false hope that the dub will be better in this generation...

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Boom View Post
    And hopefully that dubbing will include the BW opening, which DBZKai also did.
    It would be too good to be true if that actually happened. I really doubt they will keep it though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Meron View Post
    But yeah, I am kind of hopeful that they will continue the same path... What was with the puns anyway? Who liked them?
    I liked them. Because at least they were more creative than any of the Japanese titles, though I suppose the dub has had some really rotten ones.

I mean really Japanese "The egg hatches!" what kind of title is that (just in case you don't remember or know, that was the Japanese title for when Ash's egg hatched into Phanpy)?

"Hatching a Plan" was far more creative.

Seriously who likes the uncreative, boring titles of Japanese. The only one I ever liked at the top of my head was "Memories are Pearl, and Friendhips are Diamond." That was like the only one I can think of that was fairly creative.

Sure the Japanese have the advantage of being direct in their title (oh this what's going to be in the episode thus speculation can flow from just a title). But since they usually use the same formula for every specific related event, it's really hard to care.

Especially when you have something like "Eterna Gym VS Gardenia" and then we have "Veilstone Gym! Lucario vs Buizel"

Now imagine the Japanese were creative as the English dub in terms of titles, just imagine what kind of weird and fun speculation we could get if the title in Japanese was the equivalent of "Opposites Interact" (original title: Mamoswine and Pachirisu Ice Chandelier the decisive blow).

Now just imagine if all we had was Opposites Attract and didn't know it was for the Grand Festival. Just imagine what early speculation would be about this episode.

So in Japanese the direct titles give us proper speculation, and tells us what's going to happen episode (even if it is of a short duration like 30 seconds). However such a thing won't work quite as well in the dub. It would probably be better if the title was a bit more vague for those who don't want to be spoiled. Which is way the pun filled titles work better in general.

Gangsta's Paradise Froakie's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Froakie on Tumblr

I don't see the big deal if they don't keep TITLES of all things.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Croag View Post
    I don't see the big deal if they don't keep TITLES of all things.
    Yeah, so long as the English titles sound good to me, I'm fine.

Blog Entries

I'm pretty satisfied with these punless titles. I hope that the series will refrain from using puns, but it's really likely that we'll have some puns, at least.

I hope we don't have any puns in the titles, however.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mijumaru View Post
    I hope we don't have any puns in the titles, however.
    And if we do, let's pray that they're good, if not decent.

Load of Belloni
    Blog Entries

I bet they're treating this '1 hour special' like the Ranger ones in the past. Everything will be kept more or less the same, titles and all, for these two episodes, then BAM! Back to the ol' grind.

I don't really care about the titles personally. Just remember what happened in the episode itself, and you're hot to trott. 'In the shadow of Zekrom'? Pfft, no. To Grave-E, it is 'The First Best Wishes episode' :P
    That said, I can appreciate some clever puns, and used to enjoy reading them. I never really had a problem with them until DP. Too many of them followed a similar structure and came across as unnecessarily wordy or awkward.

"----ing a/the ---- ----"

Go through a list, and I bet most of them follow that template. If they go back to punny titles after this one, I hope they can break free from that.

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

Not counting ones hat are "----ing on/up---" we get

Last edited by Karamazov; 29th January 2011 at 09:43 AM. Reason: MOAR.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    I liked them. Because at least they were more creative than any of the Japanese titles, though I suppose the dub has had some really rotten ones.

I mean really Japanese "The egg hatches!" what kind of title is that (just in case you don't remember or know, that was the Japanese title for when Ash's egg hatched into Phanpy)?

"Hatching a Plan" was far more creative.

Seriously who likes the uncreative, boring titles of Japanese. The only one I ever liked at the top of my head was "Memories are Pearl, and Friendhips are Diamond." That was like the only one I can think of that was fairly creative.

Sure the Japanese have the advantage of being direct in their title (oh this what's going to be in the episode thus speculation can flow from just a title). But since they usually use the same formula for every specific related event, it's really hard to care.

Especially when you have something like "Eterna Gym VS Gardenia" and then we have "Veilstone Gym! Lucario vs Buizel".
    It's the same with other Japanese anime. They have titles that tell what the episode is about as well. Pocket Monsters is one of them.

Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast