Misty's Togepi

Thread: Misty's Togepi

Default Misty's Togepi

When I was thinking about how Togekiss would sound like on the Anime, I thought of this.

Did they throw out Misty's Togepi/Togetic too soon? They could have waited until they released the fourth generation so it could evolve. Now we may never see a Togekiss (or at least maybe people would want to see Misty with one).

Big Brawl and Pokemon player!

Blog Entries

No. No no no no no no no.

Misty's Togepi was screwed over in so many ways that I think I'd rather just forget it ever existed. They had a good thing going in Kanto and Orange Islands. In Kanto, it was the first new Pokémon ever aside from Ho-Ho so its presence was welcomed and we wanted to know more. In Orange Islands it began to show itself as the magic deus ex Pokémon... but the twerps didn't notice.

So off we go to Johto! Johto, the region where players can finally catch their very own Togepi in the games. We know all about Togepi now: its moves, its evolution, everything interesting. So surely in the anime, the twerps will realise more about their Togepi and it will mature from the defenseless weakling to a competent and strong battler, right? Wrong! Instead, Togepi will do nothing but be carried around in Misty's arms for three years and the "Will they ever know of Togepi's powers?" sub-plot was almost completely absent. To rub salt in the wound, Ash's newly-born Phanpy showed that it was able to battle and it even carried Togepi on its back in the fifth mini-movie. Ouch.

So we finally got Togepi's evolution and story wrapped up... a year after it and its trainer was dropped from the main cast. Pfft. It should have happened in Johto, peferably early or mid-Johto. Heck, it could have stayed with the twerps after its evolution and become the second (or third, including Meowth) mascot all over again. But nope. It did nothing. Great.

Brining back Misty's Togetic now would require quite a bit of bending sense. You could have some convulted storyline where the Mirage Kingdom is in danger and Togetic somehow brings Misty and the twerps to it or something, but it'd be a bit too far out there if done incorrectly. Better to just show a Togekiss that has nothing to do with Misty's.

[/rant]

...I'm a bit sour about the way Misty and her Pokémon were mistreated throughout the series (not just Johto), so you'll have to excuse me if I came off as too jackass-y and "blah blah blah the writers suck I should be writing the series I am so smart and intelligent and can see into the future but they suck on their mothers OH AND JOHTO SUCKS TOO" here. ^^;
    Video Game Collection & Wishlist

IMPORTANT REMINDER:
    It's just the Internet. Calm down.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Umby View Post
    Did they throw out Misty's Togepi/Togetic too soon? They could have waited until they released the fourth generation so it could evolve. Now we may never see a Togekiss (or at least maybe people would want to see Misty with one).
    You act as if the only way Togekiss will be debuted in the anime is through Misty, and we both know that it will most likely be debuted without her through a filler character or so forth.

The reason why they evolved Togetic is because the writers decided to finally stop being stupid and actually finish a plotline they started way back in Orange. It took them all the way into AG to finally do it, but at least its done, unlike say...the GS ball which still lingers.

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'll wager that when we finally *do* see Togekiss, no one will even make a mention of Misty.

Little Brother, I see your pain. I was thinking about maybe the authors threw away Togetic before they had Togetic out, so maybe the authors regretted it or something.

But yeah, the anime has screwed itself over a bit here and there. That's why I don't watch it that much (but my little sister watches it anyway!).

Big Brawl and Pokemon player!

I have to admit though, if Misty's Togetic somehow does come back to evolve it would be cool. Rather than introduce a Pokemon that'll soon be forgotten, one that was on the show for years will be built upon. Character development right?

Um...I'm thinking they will do just that.

Never underestimate the power of marketing!

I actually had a quite interesting thought concerning this. What if Misty had a dream of Togetic calling out to her. Like the relic of the mirage kingdom is being tainted (a shiney stone). There was once another castle that guarded the mirage kingdom and it's relic that gave energy to the Toges. Some dude (maybe Hanson or maybe someone new) has gotten that relic and is using it to harm the toges.

Using Oak's vast knowledge, Misty finds this place and takes a ride on some pokemon, or perhaps magically appears in Sinnoh due to escaped Plot bunnies. Then Misty is so concerned on Togetic, she runs past Ash, who follows her out of curiosity.

Yadda yadda, blah blah, epic battle

Well, I think Togetic would end up absorbing the power of the stone and defeating the dude who endangered the mirage kingdom, evolving into Togekiss. However, by doing this, the entrance to the mirage kingdom will forever be sealed off and never be able to be accessed again. In my hopes, Togekiss would decide to stay with Misty and she would have it a hardy addition to her team.

Is it just me, or did Johto seem to discard all sub plots the first two rounds established? The last season of Johto got pretty interesting for the first several episodes, two had the most boring episodes and the first was decent.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Johto took a lot of stuff that the previous seasons established and simply threw it out the window. The Togepi plotline, the GS ball, Misty's motivation and goal...it was all tossed aside for shitty filler.

It just sucks looking back at what the writers could have done with its characters and plotlines back then instead of crapping all over them.

Flying Spaghetti Monster LibertyxIsxLove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LonePichu
    I actually had a quite interesting thought concerning this. What if Misty had a dream of Togetic calling out to her. Like the relic of the mirage kingdom is being tainted (a shiney stone). There was once another castle that guarded the mirage kingdom and it's relic that gave energy to the Toges. Some dude (maybe Hanson or maybe someone new) has gotten that relic and is using it to harm the toges.

Using Oak's vast knowledge, Misty finds this place and takes a ride on some pokemon, or perhaps magically appears in Sinnoh due to escaped Plot bunnies. Then Misty is so concerned on Togetic, she runs past Ash, who follows her out of curiosity.

Yadda yadda, blah blah, epic battle

Well, I think Togetic would end up absorbing the power of the stone and defeating the dude who endangered the mirage kingdom, evolving into Togekiss. However, by doing this, the entrance to the mirage kingdom will forever be sealed off and never be able to be accessed again. In my hopes, Togekiss would decide to stay with Misty and she would have it a hardy addition to her team.
    That would make a cool fanfic.

But, anyway, I think the writers could've done a lot more with Togepi rather than make it a helpless plushie Misty was forced to carry around. That was a big mistake the writers made, they had two characters (Misty and Togepi) who could have had very interesting roles in the Johto saga, but instead they just made them part of the background. At least the Mirage Kingdom episodes gave Misty and her togepi a chance to shine.

The writers could bring back togetic and Misty for a few episodes and have it evolve into Togekiss (it would be more intriguing than the random trainer/coordinator of the day having one), but it would difficult for them to write it so it seems somewhat reasonable.
    You can call me LibertyxIsxLove, Liberty, or Libby (my given name), whatever floats your boat! =)

Pearl Version- Name:Luz♥♪★ FC:4811-3640-3166

#1 Supporter of OutofSpiteShipping (Paul/Kengo)|Member of the AA (Azumangaholics Anonymous) ^o~