Looking back, How would you rate the Unova league arc? - Page 5

View Poll Results: What score would you give the Unova League arc?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 out of 10

21 28.00%
  • 2 out of 10

8 10.67%
  • 3 out of 10

13 17.33%
  • 4 out of 10

12 16.00%
  • 5 out of 10

6 8.00%
  • 6 out of 10

6 8.00%
  • 7 out of 10

6 8.00%
  • 8 out of 10

1 1.33%
  • 9 out of 10

0 0%
  • 10 out of 10

2 2.67%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Looking back, How would you rate the Unova league arc?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Looking back, How would you rate the Unova league arc?

I'll rank the full battles.

Gary=paul Rivalry settled pretty good teams on both
    Harrison -most intense
    Tobias- Ash finally gets legitimately pwned. As in the way he lost made sense.
    Cameron- Great animation intense battles and types actually mattered.
    Katie- aCOTD with 6 pokemon was unheard of til then.
    Morrison=Tyson rushed messes that made you really think wow they must suck to be pwned by a swellow ajd corphish.

play later - sleep now! Playful_Weasel's Avatar
    Add Playful_Weasel on Facebook Add Playful_Weasel on Google+
    Visit Playful_Weasel's Youtube Channel

Aside from all the negative comments the Unova has, it remains my favorite of all regions. I had a blast watching the Clubsplosion Tournament, and the Higaki Conference. Overall all most of my favorite Anime episodes are from Unova, many of my favorite Pokemon are from Unova.

So I guess I'm the only one who rates it 10/10!!
    Watchog's #1 Fan!!
    PokeMustelid & PokeFelines too!
    - 4871-3995-3493
    Steel Safari: Magneton - Skarmory - Excadrill
    I have many teams in Kalos - my original team will always be:
    Original Y Team - IGN Maria: Delphox - Mienshao - Watchog - Lucario - Sylveon - Vaporeon

Promotional goals in a short span of time with a main character who is not only an 8th gym leader, but also a Champion complicates things.

This is exactly why I believe the writers wrote Best Wishes the way they did. It sucks unfortunately, but when all is said and done Best Wishes has already been written. The downfall was the regression and things that should have made sense didn't, but had this been the anime's MO all along it wouldn't have been an issue, but it wasn't.

I also believe the whole "let's use Ishuu region only Pokemon" gimmic the writers began with is an epic fail. Of course nostalgia shouldn't be the only factor, but I believe it is important not to forget the pokes this whole franchise originally was founded upon and the others as time went on. Ash not being himself or showing that many signs of maturity as expected really put a damper on things and made this saga cringeworthy.

The idea of Ash not facing Virgil isn't funny, it's just lazy, greedy, and careless. Cameron on the other hand, while his ding-battedness bedazzles me, Ash himself did not deserve to go out in a blaze of glory, but damn did his team suck in that battle.

Ultimately, the Unova League arc got screwed over because Pokemon X and Y was right around the corner, and having a female on the cast who is a Champion....just..does..not..work. W

This is why I feel bad for Ash, Iris, their rivals(sans Trip because he was too boring to save), Team Rocket, and the Pokemon and main characters who were seemingly forgotten or ruined(Dawn....) because ultimately timing and position made a difference.

That being said, if it takes Pokemon X and Y anime 5 fucking years to finish(and not due to fillers, due to a well-written story), the fans will be pleased. Unova didn't and that's why the league arc was an epic fail.

1/10 0_0
    Gengarzilla likes this.

Blog Entries

In terms of the Unova League itself, I don't really see why the writers couldn't be bothered to give Ash a true full battle. It's a bit baffling that they decided to not have any true full battles seen on screen, and I honestly can't think of an excuse not to actually have one.

The amount of fall-guys also was more than normal. Usually Ash has at least 3-4 Pokemon get wins in his full battle, but in this "full battle", only two of his Pokemon got wins, and the rest (aside from Snivy) failed miserably and came off looking very weak/unchanged in competence and not properly prepared for the league.
    Last edited by Masurao; 22nd January 2013 at 05:47 PM.

RONALDO!!
    Blog Entries

C-

The writer looove their fillers so much that it ruined BW. BW is already better than DP (D-) but thats it...
    For the last time, BW is NOT a reboot.
    (Copy and paste this to your signature if you agree)

In a perfect world with the writers knowing that the saga would be so short to begin with, it would of made a lot more sense to ease up a bit on the promotion and have Ash flesh out some reserves that needed some serious training.

Ash could have easily NOT regressed had he decided to go on his Unova journey with half of his team being consisted of Pokemon from past regions he's caught. I'm sure no one would mind the Johto starters or Kingler, Muk, and Glalie getting another chance to shine; and without taking away from his Unova team now, he could of kept the 3 starters and swapped them in and out for his reserves and still be made to have some sense while doing so. All of his other Unova captures sans the starters Ash could have maturely made the decision to train them later after his excitement of catching them wore down.

Seriously, if Ash using reserves meant he would not have regressed this saga, I would have been all for it. Who wouldn't want to see Torterra or Buizel again? Granted, promotion for BW pokemon wouldn't have been twice as huge, but Ash most likely would NOT have regressed and thus his story would still be realistic.

I also think had Axew had been Iris' starter and one and only Poke, and her goal was to simply flesh Axew out to Haxorus and then become a dragon master, this saga would have been much better.

Ash could've gotten runner up and I'm sure people wouldn't even care because he didn't regress in rank or maturity.

Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

id rate it the same as being in a Smart car and being hit by a Semi Truck. it was rushed and the characters were just awful, Cameron was... Enough said . this arc was definatly the Yugo of all of the acrs. i will just pretend these episodes never aired. in numeric id give it a -9000/10

In Love With Snowmen Anikasnow6's Avatar

Well, I thought that the Unova League was the worst League so far. I can understand why Bianca got beat up--Barry did, too. But I don't like how Trip only got in the Top 128 and he and Ash had a one-on-one. I also hated the names for the episodes.
    I'd rate this a 1 out of 10.
    I support AdvanceShipping, LuckyShipping, ViridianShipping, FranticShipping, IkariShipping, BelleShipping, HyperShipping, and many other pairings.

I found this league to be underwhelming, and not even because of the final battle against Trip.
    There were definitely some good moments during the battles but overall it was a spamming of moves with not much strategy, cleverness, unexpected twists and so on.
    But what bugged most was how poorly written the characters were, they have so much potential but they always have the same reactions "do your best ! i'm not going to lose ! you did your best, my pokémon". all of them seem to say the same things over and over, there's no emotion, no drama... even when the part ways they just said "see ya" to each other as if they were going to meet again the following day...

Blog Entries

Unova League wasn't that disapporing to me. even though Ash lost the league he did battle with only his Unova Pokemon like he did in Hoenn. I say it was more internating then the Kanto League because it had FOUR FILLER PART IN AND NON WERE FUNNY AT ALL. I like some of the rivals more then any other leguae beside Trip and Virgul. if they did have more battles I would put this higher but I can't. As a ranting score I'll give it a 6/10 because some of the Stephan fight and Cameron fight. Really didn't care that Trip got so low.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345