Looking back, How would you rate the Unova league arc? - Page 3

View Poll Results: What score would you give the Unova League arc?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 out of 10

21 28.00%
  • 2 out of 10

8 10.67%
  • 3 out of 10

13 17.33%
  • 4 out of 10

12 16.00%
  • 5 out of 10

6 8.00%
  • 6 out of 10

6 8.00%
  • 7 out of 10

6 8.00%
  • 8 out of 10

1 1.33%
  • 9 out of 10

0 0%
  • 10 out of 10

2 2.67%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Looking back, How would you rate the Unova league arc?

Default Re: Looking back, How would you rate the Unova league arc?

I was going to go for a 1, but then I thought the Stephan battle was quite good, so I gave it a 3. Overall this league has been the worst out of the lot, and is up there with the JWC as worst tournament this saga. Ash lost to a complete idiot, who only brought 5 pokes with him, and threw out 2 pokes with 4x weaknesses to be slaughtered. This was basically a 6 v 3, and he still lost. Then Cameron goes on to lose to Virgil, only managing to beat half of his team. Seriously, that just makes Ash look even worse. Having Ash not battle Virgil was a mistake. Only Pikachu, Pignite, Krookodile and Scraggy got on screen wins, and Scraggy's was a rushed end of battle thing against a Darumaka FFS. Palpitoad got a draw, and Leavanney battled well, and everyone else lost. They had a fucking filler about Axew in the middle, seriously what the fuck was that about? They skipped 2 of Ash's rounds, which we could have seen if we didn't have the Axew filler, the league was only 6 eps total, 1 less than Sinnoh, and that included an epic 3 parter. They ended the main rivalry of the saga, after trying to build up Trip as a powerful trainer in the JWC, with a freaking 1 v 1 in the 1st round. ughhggghhhhggghhggghh!!!

Honestly, I wish Paul was there, he would have absolutely destroyed everyone. And so would have Sinnoh Ash for that matter.

It actually hurts my brain that a league could be written this badly after all these years

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't understand regressing Ash to the Top 8 rank either. The writers clearly skipped two battles just to bump Ash up more ranks without having to show the battles.

Even with a weaker team, he could have still come in the Top 4 again since beating Kotetsu wouldn't have been a big deal. It just makes no sense to me. Now it feels like Ash is in limbo while before he was steadily progressing with each passing saga.

Add that to the fact that Ash has lost every other tournament in BW, and it really does seem like the writers have purposely been making Ash look as bad as possible. I just don't understand it....every other saga has glorified Ash at certain points and given him noticeable accomplishments. Its almost as if BW is the, "Let's hate Ash saga," or something.

Blog Entries

Rating, rivals and etc aside. What I really feel bad for are Ash's Pokemon.

I mean look at Unfezant AND Boldore those two got their asses handed to them by a Koffing in the 8th gym and now Cameron's Pokemon just made them look like Ash's Torterra getting beat every left and right. Seriously, Ash should have rethought his strategy against Cameron especially sending in Boldore AND a Oshawott against a pseudo legend dragon!

Not to mention Unfezant getting the worst loss its ever suffered not being able to strike one move on a 1st stage Pokemon that it has the advantage over. Seriously, Riolu being able to dodge ALL of Unfezant's moves? I might let Air Cutter slide but dodging Gust was a bit over kill...

Would have been better if the tornado created by it lifted Riolu in the air, Unfezant goes in close for a Quick Attack or Aerial Ace only to have Riolu land on its back then use Force Palm. That would have soften the loss for me anyway. Its just sad to think a 3rd stage Pokemon gets beat that easily just for the setup of the next battle...

Even against Koffing, Boldore and Unfezant manged to get in some good attacks and lost in style somewhat.

Scraggy, perfect set of episodes to either evolve or master Focus Blast. We could have really seen some great battles that showcased Ash's flexible team combinations since he had more than just 6 Pokemon to work with. I mean why catch so many Pokemon only to have Pikachu be the main one used in the Unova League?

Primordial ChaosKnight Five-Gate Omega's Avatar
    Blog Entries

For the Unova league, I would rate It a 1/10, whereas i rated the Kanto League a 8/10, Johto a 7/10, Hoenn a 7/10 and Sinnoh a 8/10. I got a point for featuring past COTD such as Dino, Katharine, etc and thats it.

For the Saga itself thus far, I rated it a 4/10, originally a 8/10 due to memorable COTDs and decents gym battles, multiple tours, decent fillers, faster pace although this is what indirectly killed the whole saga at the end here, and great character interaction overall, but the league murdered it to a 4/10. Do the math, i took 100% of the original rating then added 0 to 100 and dived by 2 which got 50%, which is 50% of the original rating which is a 4/10. I rated the kanto saga a 9/10, johto a 8/10, hoenn a 7/10, sinnoh an 8/10.

This saga could have done better than hoenn and johto and tied with sinnoh in my opinion until the ending of the league killed the leagues for me and ruined the whole of this saga up to this point.

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

This was not a great league. While I'm not bothered by Ash's Top 8 placing or losing to Kotetsu, the battles were really subpar, with the exception of Ash vs Kenyan. At the end of the day, exciting battles are what the league is all about for me, so I came out of it feeling pretty unsatisfied. Given the unholy amount of stock footage in the Kotetsu battle and the existence of that Kibago episode, I suspect the budget was stretched pretty thin for this league (especially considering the N arc looming on the horizon, which is being hyped more than the league ever was). It just doesn't feel like a whole lot of effort was put into it at all, which is a real shame.

While I really enjoyed the rival interactions, the disappointing battles and the fact that only a few of Ash's Pokemon got a chance to shine really soured what could have been a great league.
    Shinneth likes this.

I can't believe I voted 1 over 10.. Am I mad?

Why there isn't a 0 over 10 option? Its overall rubbish, no advanced tactics, just rubbish comebacks, Ash becoming an idiot, do we need anything more?

1 over 10 is more than a rubbish, but this is utter rubbish.

In addition, I give league ratings Kanto 6.5/10, Johto 5.5/10, Hoenn 7/10, Sinnoh 8.75/10.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

In addition to my previous rating 3/10 for the League itself, and 5/10 for the whole unova series...

8/10 for the Kanto League - mostly because it was the first. Charizard messing it up was a bit unexpected, but that showed how much Ash was inexperienced, and didn't have control over his pokemon enough to be the winnder.

7/10 for the Johto League - it could've been worse, but I gave it a good enough score because this is where Ash and Gary's rivalry was settled. The past flashbacks added a lovely touch for palletshipping the friendship, and that was pretty much the best battle to me.

8/10 Hoenn League - just... neutral. Don't really have much to say - and Ash didn't have a rival to settle a battle with.

9/10 for the Sinnoh League - this was really awesome. All the rivals appeared for fulltime episodes and I loved how they gave Nando, Conway, and Barry enough screentime and battle scenes as well as Paul. The rivalry wrap up was also excellently done as well. Of course... that guy with the Darkrai was a bit too overpowered, but we all knew he was there to beat Ash.

So compared to the past league, the Unova league did not do very well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    Add that to the fact that Ash has lost every other tournament in BW, and it really does seem like the writers have purposely been making Ash look as bad as possible. I just don't understand it....every other saga has glorified Ash at certain points and given him noticeable accomplishments. Its almost as if BW is the, "Let's hate Ash saga," or something.
    There were the 4 tournaments he's lost, his final gym being a 6 v 3, and then losing to someone dumber than him in a 6 v 5 match. It's pretty laughable, and kinda sad at how bad he was this region. Why the writers did this, no one knows...but Best Wishes is one of the worst written sagas this series has seen, not just for him but other characters as well. This is definitely the first series I've seen where they've had the main character go backwards in development lol.
    Last edited by Masurao; 11th January 2013 at 08:14 AM.

Blog Entries

That's a good point. This is the first saga that goes against the anime's message that you can always do better.

BW goes against the anime's entire concept.

I guess the only potential silver lining of this saga could be "taking one step back to take two steps forward." Maybe Ash will get it together and combine some of his previous iterations best characteristics; outside the box thinking, premeditated counters/strategies, and a varied roster of Pokemon (a combination of Oak'd reserves and in-region captures over the standard 6 Pokemon team) that will propel him to Top 2 in PokeFrance's league.

Just a little wishful thinking.
    Pokemon White FC: 0648 4815 7165
    Pokemon White 2 FC: 3869 6438 9106

PDL

Simply put, they Unova league was mostly garbage. It seems like far far more effort was put into the Battle Club tourneys then this. Did the writers somehow gave up or something? 2/10 for me.
    martianmister likes this.
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

Blog Entries

Its a sad day that the Unova league felt no different than a Don battle tournament. This is supposed to be the climax of the saga showing everything Ash's Pokemon have built toward and how strong the rivals were, and it was all handled badly and a mess.

Thankfully most of us aren't emotionally invested in BW due to previous mishaps in this saga, that we didn't have high hopes to begin with.

PDL

Thankfully most of us aren't emotionally invested in BW due to previous mishaps in this saga, that we didn't have high hopes to begin with.
    I don't know, the saga as a whole started off fairly strong but when the entire Team Rocket vs Team Plasma Arc got canned it started to somewhat weaken, but even then it was still decent. It was only when they introduced Cameron that the show started to suck hard.

I think the writers were trying to invent an "Anti-Richie" but ended up going in the exact opposite direction of awfulness when they came up with that guy.
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PDL View Post
    I don't know, the saga as a whole started off fairly strong but when the entire Team Rocket vs Team Plasma Arc got canned it started to somewhat weaken, but even then it was still decent. It was only when they introduced Cameron that the show started to suck hard.

I think the writers were trying to invent an "Anti-Richie" but ended up going in the exact opposite direction of awfulness when they came up with that guy.
    no, the saga went downhill very quickly after the Team Plasma eps were skipped. Most people didn't like that 30 ep gap of fillers between the third and fourth Gym. Elesa's Gym is also what cemented Ash's regression to most fans...and Ash losing the first Don battle tournament to Iris didn't help. The poor reaction to Trip's character and Iris getting a Dragonite didn't help.

The league gets a 4/10 for me, only because of a few decent events like Stephen's battle.
    Yankees4life likes this.

Follow MikaelDerp On Twitter

Kanto: 8
    Johto: 7.5
    Hoenn: 7.5
    Sinnoh: 9
    Unova: 2

The Unova League did not feel like a League. Short battles, an Axew filler episode? Ash losing against a Trainer of 5 Pokemon, and the regression? All of BW has been a disappointment to me, so I had been looking forward to the League for some time. But it let me down completely, and left a foul taste in my mouth.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast